New Haven (Introductory Area for New People)

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: New Haven (Introductory Area for New People)

Post by illirica » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm

"Ah, goddamn, it's another weepy one." The Rat rolled his eyes back in his skull, which given the general unkempt appearance and the vaguely jaundiced tint to his eyes was a bit more odd-looking than it might have been. "Just a tip, there, bud, you start spilling out a sob story to the first guy you meet, ain't no one gonna want anything to do with you. Get to know a few people first, maybe they'll care then. It's probably one of those philosophical things. I'm no philosopher. That's more Weed's thing. Not that they talk, but they'll nod along, and give you the finger if you bring up Kant."

Weed, apparently listening in, looked up and gave an emphatic nod, coupled with a rude gesture that proved their companion's point, then went back to petting the dog.

"Anyway, bar's over this way." He started off down the street, Weed standing up a moment later and managing a whistle, evidently meant for Cafall - apparently at least one of Tyern's new friends didn't have any trouble regarding the temple guardian as a dog.

The Rat held the door for an establishment in obvious invitation, a penetrating glance from deeper within taking in the figures at the door and rumbling with authority: "No credit."

"Relax, I got money." Rat didn't seem all that bothered by the evident suggestion that he might not, which said something about his usual processes. "That's Barman. Calls himself The Drink Knight. He's a glum asshole, but at least he doesn't pour short. Weed used to work for him, a while back, but they don't talk about it much." From the sudden grin, apparently the Rat thought this comment was hilarious. It prompted another rude gesture from the person in question - a different one than the first; apparently Weed was a bit of a polyglot where uncouth hand signals were concerned.

"Get yourself a drink, stranger. Seems like you could use one."

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:58 am

Tyern cocked his head at the hand gestures. Where he was from, only the nomadic tribes of the desert used hand signals, and none of them looked anything like these. He was equally confused by Kant.
"Can't? Can't what?" He muttered. Cafall for his part did a neat little pirouette, following his newfound companion with great enthusiasm. As for being weepy, well, he had been, a little.
'Stupid,' he though to himself. Nobody, himself included, liked bleaters. Only a major fool would show weakness to people they'd just met. That was a major rule in Stanra. He'd gotten soft all right. Domesticated life. It almost made him want to spit, but he abstained, not knowing the local custom, or whether his guides would take it as a personal insult. The last thing he wanted was to fight a duel over spit. Tyern grunted at Barman. To his eye, it was a fairly typical sight. After all, you'd seen one sour tavern owner, you'd seen them all. Tyern sidled up to the bar, glancing at the rows of bottles as he tried to pick something out he recognized.
"I don't suppose you have any Flaming Blood, do you? If not, whatever you recommend should be fine." He tried to smile in a genial way, even though he pretty much knew Barman wasn't the type to share smiles. Not pleasant ones, anyway. It was this thought that caused him to eye his surroundings. It was an old habit, and one that felt right. This place, for all its differences, felt like Stanra. Shady, without feeling like every person you met would knife you. At least not immediately.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:11 pm

The Drink Knight stared, though not at Tyern. Instead, his gaze remained fixed on the Rat, until the scruffy man produced a wrinkled twenty-dollar-bill from the vestiges of some pocket best left unexplored. The Rat set the money on the counter with a scowl, as if indignant that he wasn't considered trustworthy, and yet at the same time he didn't argue the point.

Once the money had made an appearance, the Barman turned his attention back to the newcomer, considering his order. "Blood? You one of those vampires outta Duskburg?" One of Millennium City's subdistricts - and certainly not the nicest one - Duskburg was home to at least two separate vampiric sects, occasionally working together and occasionally warring for territory or the right to decide who made the rules. Most people avoided the area if they had any sense, and with good reason.

"Suppose I've got a pack or two. Never had one ask for it on fire though."

"I don't think my friend's meaning it literally," the Rat cut in, his voice suggesting that he very much hoped his friend wasn't meaning it literally. "He's not from around here, see? Maybe just get him a beer to start." Unlike a shot of something harder, a beer would take a while longer for Tyern to work his way through, and maybe the Rat could get something out of him by the time he finished. "I'll take the same."

The Barman grunted, drawing a couple pints of draft for the pair and setting a cup of water on the counter as well. Weed had walked up by then, raising two fingers in their torn glove, and the Barman gave another grunt and added a second cup of water, which Weed picked up and proceeded to offer to the dog-thing.

"Does it even drink water?" the Rat wondered aloud, watching the interaction, "And... what's it eat? Besides you?"

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 am

Tyern let out a big belly laugh, both for the mention of vampires, and the confusion his words caused.
"No, I'm not a vampire. Vampires were eliminated in my land by the Shade. A beer does sound lovely. Many's the night I spent with a beer or twelve, though you'll be hard pressed to top Ol' McAnallay's brown. There was a fine brewer if ever I knew one. Of course, he was also the grumpies dwarf you ever met, but that's beside the point." Tyern's face lit up with a grin that spoke of old conversations and old friendships. He hoped to find much the same in this world, though he knew he had to be cautious here. That same feeling persisted.
"Far as I know, he doesn't eat or drink anything. Powered entirely by magic. And I suppose snuggles. He does seem to enjoy the touch of another creature." Tyern took a sip of his beer, a startled look on his face. This was much more flavorful, and if he wasn't mistaken, more potent than most of the beer on his world. He took another sip, still grinning. If this is what qualified for the local drink, he certainly could have found himself in a much worse world to come to.
"Barman, you are a credit to your craft. This is a fine ale. Tell me, how did you get such robust flavors? People where I'm from would pay dearly to taste such a lovely brew."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 am

"Why'd he want to eat you, then, if he doesn't need to eat?" Rat seemed like the sort of person who tended to be more concerned with the little details than the big picture, apparently. Since Cafall didn't seem interested in drinking the water, Weed took a couple drinks of it instead, then set it back on the counter and went back to scratching the hound behind its ears, at least as best as possible given Cafall's somewhat nonstandard biology.

Barman gave the newcomer a nod of what might have been approval, apparently content with the presence of someone who could enjoy a decent beer. The question, though, got Tyern precisely nowhere, because Barman just gave him a gruff "Secret." As far as figuring out how the brew was made, it was no answer at all, but then again, it was also probably precisely the sort of answer Tyern would have expected, if he was as familiar with bartenders as he claimed to be.

"So what are you going to do next?" The Rat again, evidently thinking that Tyern would have everything figured out after half a pint of beer. It was probably a compliment - most people didn't figure things out until they got to the bottom of the glass, after all - and sometimes, the bottom of the glass after that. The Rat sipped at his own drink, slowly. He didn't always have cash, but when he did, a good beer was always welcome. More welcome than food, even.

People on the street would buy food, after all. No one ever wanted to buy him a beer or a pack of cigarettes, even if that was what he really needed.

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Tyern let out a bark of laughter. He'd have respected the man a lot less if he gave up the secrets of his trade to someone off the street after five minutes. In truth, it was a nicer response than McAnally had had. The grumpy dwarf had simply scowled and broke a truncheon over his head. Nobody messed with that man's secrets.
"Well, it certainly seemed like he wanted to eat me when those fangs were coming at me full speed. Not a sight I'm sure to forget." Before answering the man's next question, Tyern took another sip of both. Large decisions could always wait a sip or two. It was a question he'd asked himself a fair few times over the last bit. He knew absolutely nothing about this world, and he was fairly certain that with all the glass around, stone quarrying, if it still existed, certainly wouldn't be the same process as it was when he last did it. Odd as it was, he could probably teach magical theory, though he'd seen no sign of magic. He knew it had to exist in this world, otherwise he'd be a blob on a sidewalk. With a grunt, he figured he'd taken long enough.
"Well, I'm not really sure. I know I need to find employment, but without knowing much of this world, I have no real clue where to start. I don't suppose any of you gentlemen know of anyone hiring?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm

"Don't really go in for work," Rat pointed out. "But if you wanna find a job I guess that's on you. Figure out what you're good with, find a place that's hiring. Check the internet I guess?" He gave Tyern a critical look for a moment, "They got the internet, where you're from?"

Given the whole thing about temples and the man's weird outfit, it was entirely possible that they didn't. Introducing him to that would be worth the price of the beer in and of itself. Some of the stuff out there was a riot. Weed had a tendency to binge-watch how-to videos, which meant that the Rat had half-assed knowledge about more things than anyone could possibly ever want to know about. Weed probably understood more, on account of their actually paying attention.

"What're you good at?" Rat wondered aloud, "You can usually find some sorry sucker to pay you for just about anything, if you're good enough at it. Got any skills or anything? And... what are you willing to do?" There were some lines people wouldn't cross, after all. It was usually easier to find work of you didn't care so much about whether it was the right thing to do or not. Rat might not have been the most ethical advisor, but there were still lines that he wouldn't cross. Liberating twenty bucks from some trust fund boy was one thing, but you didn't con someone outta their WIC checks.

It was all about the proper application of ethics to the proper people. For some, it was about the proper application of a club to the proper skull... but Rat didn't really go in for violence, all that much.

That was Weed's thing, when they got riled up. Fortunately, Rat's mild-mannered companion didn't often get to that state. There were few that had ever driven them to that point, and Rat... and been simultaneously impressed and horrified with the results. He turned his head a little, watching Weed ruffle the Temple hound's ears, completely unconcerned with the razor sharp teeth.

Yeah. If Rat were going to bet between the death dog from another dimension and Weed... he'd be betting on Weed, every time.

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Tyern got a very puzzled expression at the word internet.
"Does that have to do with fishing? That's about the only use I've heard of for nets, besides the circus folk who specialized in high places." Tyern thought for a minute. What WAS he good at? He supposed the last couple of years had just kind of dragged him along, between defeating the Beast, falling in love, retirement, and his seemingly futile quest.
"I suppose I can cook fairly well, I can clean. I know how to quarry stone, though I suppose that skill is a bit... outdated here. I'm strong, though I don't like to say how strong, and I was a fair decent brawler where I'm from. My uncle taught me that," he said, a touch of pride showing in his eyes.
"As for what I'll do... I don't really know. I don't really want to kill people. I'll hurt them if I have to, but lately I've come to realize that Death is far too permanent an answer, and generally the wrong one at that. I suppose I could also teach at least the basics of magic. I went to the Academy, not that it did me much good. So, given all that, what do you suggest?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:24 am

"Fishing?" A pause, broken by a sotto voce chuckle from Barman behind the counter, who was wise enough both not to talk himself into the corner of having to explain the internet to a newcomer, and also wise enough not to volunteer to do so when someone else made that mistake.

Realizing that no rescue was available, the Rat was forced to flounder into deeper waters. "Uh. No. It's not fishing. It's... it's..." He hesitated, the light of inspiration striking after a moment, "It's like a magic archive people can access through special devices. Except it's an archive run by those birds that sound like a pastry. Magpies, that's it. They don't know what's important, so they just collect everything, so you can find anything you want but unless you're really good at it, you end up having to look through a whole lot of stuff you don't want, some of which you wish you'd never seen."

There, that sounded smart, didn't it? The Rat could be pretty eloquent when he got going, especially after half a glass of good beer. The eloquence was what convinced people to part with their money, after all, which was what paid for the beer. It was a cycle. Not a smooth one, but the Rat didn't mind if there were a few hops in there.

"Killing people's a bad business," the Rat agreed sagely. "You got magic, you probably wanna hook up with some of those superhero types. I don't know how they keep in touch with each other, they all just seem to know. I guess you just wait until there's trouble somewhere and jump in and try not to make a fool of yourself, and see what happens after that." He took another drink from his beer, then added, judiciously, "Long as you haven't been squashed into paste by the latest purple space tyrant, of course."

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:36 am

Tyern's expression became more and more amused, and it was very clear that the concept was a familiar one. Tipping a wink to Barman, he thought about making the Rat flounder for a bit, but decided that since he had been kind to Tyern, Tyern probably shouldn't be a dick to him.
"Ah. That sounds like the Archivio. It's a thing they had at the Academy. Some second year student tried to make an easily accessible archive, where students could store information, and withdraw it on scrying stones later. Sadly, since this was a second year, they used spells that were far greater than they were prepared for, and became the central hub of the Archivio. Given the limited focus and capability of human minds to deal with new information, this turned into chaos very quickly, particularly when the fifth years started adding their sexual experiences into the Archivio. After that, the whole thing had to be shut down. Scenes of sex don't really help a fifteen year old struggling to process a constant stream of new information. The whole thing turned into one giant repository of sex before the end. Useful concept, but not a very effective one. One should never allow adolescents to be the caretakers and curators of information." Tyern thought for a minute, wondering about the term 'superhero.' There were great heroes on his world, and a charitable person might even put him on that list (he HAD saved the world once, after all.) Still, the concept was a new one for him.

"What in the world is a 'superhero'? It sounds remarkably like someone with too much confidence, and not nearly enough sense of self. For that matter, purple space tyrant?" Tyern was very concerned by the fact that the Rat seemed to have said that as though it were something that happened ever week, and hoped he just couldn't read his new friend as well as he thought.