Voodoo Programming [Closed]

Roleplay locations.
Ryoko

Re: Voodoo Programming [Closed]

Post by Ryoko » Sun May 24, 2020 8:14 pm

Ryoko's fist had failed to make contact, but her eyes were latched onto Garrick like chains with his every movement.

And she was smiling.

She had expected the game to last for more than one move, but it still made her happy to be right. And, in more than a few ways, she was excited. Right now, her durability was irrelevant. Whether or not the strike that landed on her was bolstered by eldest energy didn't matter. Even if she could block or parry the incoming blow without a moment of pain, that was still a game over. It was...

Kinda fun.

Ryoko could tell what was coming as soon as he wound back. It was almost in slow motion. She'd begun to react the moment that he retaliated; moving to slip the punch and take his head all in one motion. Her fist had just started to move when she noticed the glow in the corner of her eyes. The flow of chi into another part of his body that she could barely make out in her peripheral vision, but understood, all the same.

And it moved much faster.

His fist rose to the sky... and struck nothing. If he let his sights drop just a little, he'd get a demonstration of the flexibility that Ryoko didn't get too many chances to show off. She'd swayed back, so much so that her hands met the ground behind her, and somersaulted backwards; sliding away from the eldest fist as soon as her feet touched the ground.

Hahahahahahaha

Already, Garrick was starting to grow. Or, perhaps, adapt might've been a more accurate. It may not have packed the power that his first punch did, but he had thrown an "Eldest Fist" without sacrificing all of his stamina. And that was good, because he was going to need it.

About a half-second after his punch, break time ended. She shot to the left in a blur, followed by a cool breeze and kicking up a mist of mid-morning dew as she circled him... once? Twice? Five times? It was kind of hard to keep count. But when she approached, she came from his side.

Low to the ground.

A leg whipped out- sweeping wide- as she drew near that that would kick him off his feet and send him face-planting into the grass on contact.
Active Sandbox Characters: Ryoko/ Kore/ Mina

For all other characters, click here

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm

Like mentor, like apprentice, both fighters missed their opening strikes.

His fist punched nothing more than the air where Ryoko once stood, his eyes snapping down to see her bending backwards on the ground. The speed, he’d expected, the strength already shown from the punch of wind that battered him earlier. What he wasn’t entirely ready for was seeing how flexible she really was.

Damn, she’s good.

In any other situation, there would have been some pride in seeing one of his friends performing this well. Unfortunately, she was performing well against him. Overwhelming him with speed, strength, and now showing off some serious agility? Things weren’t looking good.

Strangely, he couldn’t help smiling.

...this is pretty fun.

Remembering the more serious nature of this duel, Garrick dropped his smile as he focused once more. There was the briefest lapse in his attention as Ryoko started circling him. Morning dew filled his nostrils as rushes of wind hit his body. At her speed, it was difficult to even get a proper look at her figure, seeing just a blurry version of her along with an even more faded afterimage.

One.

Two.

Three..?

It got harder for him to keep track, his mind too focused on just being ready to react. It’d pay off in the end, his peripheral picking up sudden movement. It was akin to a shadow, though it did not loom over him. The figure was lower in the advance, Garrick only having a second to even react.

Instincts took over. It was the only defense against someone who barely gave your mind any time to think.

Reflexes forged from eons of combat showed as he recognized Ryoko’s low spinning sweep kick and not only tried to evade it, but counter.

He jumped, twisting his to face Ryoko. Wind rushed right beneath the soles of his feet, centimeters separating what would have been the end of the game. He planted his arm on the ground to stabilize himself as his right leg shot out, carried forward with more than just the limits of the human body. Barely contained chi glowed from behind the cuffs of his shoe, explosive power no longer held in his hand any longer, just as it was not being held back any longer. If it connected, she’d be sent flying off into the forest at a terrifying speed, the same strength that left Jackal dazed and hurt now about to crash directly into the Dragon of the East.

There was a crack in his focus, worry having slipped as he hoped that his attack didn't actually hurt her. The rest of him didn't even think about, more attentive to the state of the fight and whether he was going to need to keep the attack up, or whether he needed to worry about another sonic strike heading his way. Either way, the odds were not in his favor.

He wouldn't have it any other way.

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 pm

Ryoko's eyes widened as he hopped over the kick.

And they remained so as his left touched down and he rotated his hips to maximize traction. A golden hue covered his curled, right leg as it drew power and captured the entirety of her attention. And, just before he fired, that smile began to reappear.

SLAM!

Ryoko's left-hand drilled into the dirt as she pushed upwards off of her back and into what might've been the world's most impressive handstand. Her legs slowly spread apart so as to leave her posing in the shape of the letter "Y'. Shockwaves traveled up her arm and through her body as his foot missed her wrist by only a centimeter.

She looked down or, from her perspective, up to see his leg fully extended and the rest of him almost entirely prone on the ground. And, in stark contrast to the godlike power and destruction carried by that leg, Ryoko simply reached down with her free right hand and sought to tap his thigh with one quick boop of her index finger.

And, yes, if he looked up, he'd find that she was still wearing that cheeky grin on her face.

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Wed May 27, 2020 11:59 pm

Another round of air, contact missing by but a single centimeter.

Ryoko proved her skill once more, moving out of the way of his attack with an unorthodox dodge, one with an agility that once again surprised him. She was not only fast on her feet but she was mentally coordinated enough to evade unusual attacks such as his. As her legs spread to form her Y-shaped handstand, he felt the energy from her dodge alone ripple through the ground and travel through him, supernatural touch multiplying the feeling.

It felt like failure. The fact that he was still breathing steady, that she was not a blur being sent off into the arboreal maze that surrounded the two combatants.

Get out of the wa-

His instincts whispered their warning a second too late.

Shitshitshitshit-

Something poked him in the thigh.

”...Damn.”

He got tagged.

Tension from the battle blew from out his body like it was steam as he slowly stood up from off the ground. Once he did, he’d look down, spotting the impossible-to-miss grin plastered on her face. And then, he laughed.

”Even I wasn’t expecting that one.” All of the seriousness Garrick had from the fight was gone, made evident from the smile on his face. ”Good job, you got me.”

As a last martyrdom, he’d try and push her legs back to send her falling onto her ass.

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Fri May 29, 2020 1:46 am

"I wasn't expecting half of what you threw at me either, to be honest," if her facial expressions hadn't made that clear, "But that's how it's often going to be. Gotta be ready for the most random of shit. You did great! Besides, if I couldn't make it difficult for you, what would be the point?"

For whatever her words meant to him.

He pushed her to the ground, and she fell, and she took no effort to get up; opting to lie there for a moment and think. To review her observations. To plan ahead for him. To try and put everything that they had done out here today to good use.

"I think that that should be a staple for us. Not just that game, but different variants of Death Tag. With different rules. I've even thought of an exercise to help you out with 'the sight', but I think I'll save that for another day. None of this necessarily about winning or losing, so much as seeing constant improvement in yourself. Admittedly, I just wanted to have you try to outright dodge me for as long as you could, today, but I think that both exercises have their own merits, you know?"

Despite how that last sentence that left her lips sounded, it wasn't rhetorical. She was diving into the unknown as much as he was, and any feedback that he gave would've been more than appreciated. More than appreciated, downright necessary.

"How much longer do you want to go for, Garrick? I've got at least one more thing that I'd really like to try before we call it quits," that wasn't entirely true. She had alot of ideas that she wanted to try, but she wanted to at least hit the basics of her philosophy before the session came to an end, "I know I called you out of the blue, so I don't want to tie you up all day out of nowhere."

She sat up and turned to him.

"Want to try some 'Development'?" Ryoko pushed out a nervous laugh, somewhat forced this time, "I admittedly have no idea if any of what I had said applies to your powers in the slightest, but it seems like something worth experimenting with, no?"

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Fri May 29, 2020 6:31 pm

The question of how long this was going to take did cross his mind once, but that was before he even got here. Ryoko had called him out of nowhere and offered to train him, but on the other side of that, Garrick himself wasn’t really busy. His plans consisted of finding more information regarding mob activity after the fall of the Chechens or just continuing his own sort of training. Needless to say, he wasn’t planning on resting today.

”Considering I was probably going to patrol or train. I’m not missing much anyways, don’t worry.”

The nervous laugh after she suggested Development really reminded Garrick of a mad scientist. He could just imagine Ryoko wearing a lab coat detailing their process on some kind of clipboard. The enthusiasm she had about it was infectious though and he was fully on-board with testing out her ideas.

”We already did the other two so yeah, I’m down. I’m not even sure how far my chi can take me anyways so we’re already on unknown waters. If you don’t mind though...”

His mind bounced back a subject. Even though Garrick didn’t have anything urgent to do, there was one thing that he still wanted to do today. It wasn’t important at all in the big scheme of things but considering the workload they’ve all been dealing with, he was thinking about indulging in something nice for a night. His body was thinking italian.

”...I was thinking about getting something to eat later, after we’re done here.” Penne vodka with chicken sounded amazing after they were done with training. “”If you want, you can come with too. I wouldn’t mind the company.”

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 pm

"WHAT!?"

Ryoko exclaimed, looking at Garrick like he was insane.

"Did you just say 'I wouldn't mind your company'? The hell is that? That's not how you invite someone to dinner!" She smirked; a playful "rage" in her eyes as she pointed at Mr. Valeria with the most intense, accusatory finger that she could muster, "You're supposed to say something like 'I'd love to have your company' or 'I'd love it if you came along'. Gotta make people feel welcome when they show up! What's wrong with you?"

She sighed and put away the "claw of justice".

"But nah, yeah, that does sound like fun. C'mere."

She'd wait for him to take a seat and relax, then she'd start paying more attention to his spirit and whatever energies that would start coming into play. She hoped that the man didn't have any questions for her regarding what might happen next because, quite frankly, she had no fucking idea.

"So... I guess just... take that feeling and... try to push it into some part of your body that isn't your fists, feet or eyes. I'll be able to track where it goes, even if you can't. And... we'll just see what happens. And if you start to feel or notice something odd, speak up. Assume that you're the only one who knows what you're going through."

She let her elbows rest on her thighs and her head on her hands. And quietly, with attentive eyes, she watched and waited.

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Sat May 30, 2020 6:21 pm

To say Garrick was a little taken aback was...a bit of an understatement.

”Uh, hol-” He started but not quick enough. Ryoko’s rage shoved his words to the side as if they weren’t there while a pointed finger warned him against trying to justify his mistake. Not that he could have if he even tried. With how intense she got, Garrick got worried she was about to start heating up. Was he about to need what he learned from the spar to get out of here alive?

No, of course not.

Notes for next time, Garrick, notes for next time.

He sat down next to her, pushing his embarrassment to the back of his mind. Hanging around enough serious people for too long threw his bantering skills a bit off balance. Something told him he’d get it back if he hung out with her for a few more days. Not like hanging out with her wasn’t fun to him.

”Some place else, got it..” He got himself into a traditional meditative position, closing his eyes once he was done. ”Not sure how long this is going to take but, here I go.”

He went silent.

A small breeze of wind blew over the two as Garrick lost himself in his own mind, the raging storm inside fueled by the small bout between the two. His soul tasted the crumbs of conflict and it wanted nothing more than to have more of it. Even he wanted more of it. It was the only time he ever felt truly at home anymore since his return. His place was among fighters, putting his life on the line to defeat a greater threat to them all. Idleness was torture him, for it brought the whispers from within that beckoned him into action. Few were the times he’s managed to absolutely quell the tempest of war inside without fighting himself.

Seconds turned into minutes as he concentrated.

Ryoko spoke of not diverting his chi to his fists nor his feet nor his eyes. He did as she asked...to a degree.

Chi normally coursed through his body and soul but the river she saw as he did so was more refined, it had focus. It was painful, but something in him told him to keep going. His teeth clenched, feeling as if his body were starting to slowly rip itself apart. It felt as if there were invisible blades cutting open every strand of muscle beneath his skin before they grew and lines of fire joined them back together once more. The space in a foot diameter around him slowly grew red.

Muscles tensed as they were put back together away from view, his skin tightening against an unseen force pulling it back, before letting go. His heart rate had spiked when the pain began but as time stepped forward another few minutes, it slowed, going even slower than it had before. A single heartbeat pumped blood more powerfully than five had before. His lungs drew breath more slowly, humid air flowing through his body even more steadily.

An aura of light red turned darker, encompassing him in a crimson abyss for all but a moment. In the next, the center where he sat flashed a bright white, as if a small sun had just erupted, sending red energy flying away from the epicenter until they disappeared into nothingness. Sitting where he did before was Garrick still, his clothes untouched but his body forever changed.

His eyes opened, the same blue pair of irises staring back at the Dragon. He said nothing, letting the moment stretch on for a time, still trying to process everything that he just experienced.

And then, a sledgehammer-like migraine hit him in the head.

He blinked hard, holding a hand up to the side of his head to rub his temple.

”Ow.”

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Sat May 30, 2020 8:43 pm

"Um..."

From the moment that his chi burrowed out of its normal path and ventured into undisturbed flesh, it began to tear it apart at the cellular level. And it changed color. Almost as if they had been tainted by the blood that gushed outwards from shredded veins and arteries, the golden energy turned an unsettling red as it sheared through his flesh.

"Yo, hey! Maybe don't..."

Her uneasy words failed to break his focus. The contortions of his face confirmed that it was about as painful as it looked in her eyes. She began to reach out to him, slowly, as the rivers of corrosion drew close to his vital organs and nervous system.

"Garrick!?"

Right before her eyes, his flesh disintegrated. His heart, his lungs, his brain, everything, turned to mulch in an instant as the chi filled his body completely. Flames, far more well-natured than her own, raced between the wounds and sewed it all back together. She watched his body nearly liquefy itself. And she had no idea that it was going to put itself back together, afterward.

"L-let's uh... I-I think that's enough training for today."

Ryoko was looking... upset to say the least. Mortified, maybe. And her energetic, optimistic spirit was more than a little shaken. She wasn't lying when she said that she had no idea what was about to happen, and she had basically just watched a man die by listening to her advice. She'd need a hot minute or two before she was ready to talk about what she had just witnessed, even though she was sure that he was eager to ask her all about it.

And she definitely wasn't in the mood to run any more experiments like that.

"I-I'll uh... I'll... I think I'll pay for dinner tonight. You can... pay for the next one."

If she didn't get him killed by then, anyway.

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Sun May 31, 2020 1:34 am

Garrick looked at Ryoko confused. Her mood dropped like a brick, no joke waiting at the end of it like it did when he invited her out to eat. It felt as if she was less enthusiastic about the training and if not that, then worried, at the least.

Did she notice I was in pain?

If that were true, her change in demeanor made sense. He wasn’t sure what gave away just how much torment he’d gone through but it made him feel bad, for having her watch him go through that. Of course, “that” in his eyes was just a silent meditation where he must have been wincing in pain. He had no idea he just liquefied himself and reformed during it.

”You alright?” He reached a hand out to put on her shoulder, genuine concern on his face. ”I didn’t mean to scare you if I did. Honestly, I’m not even sure what happened.”

He put his hand back behind him, leaning on his arms as support.

”It hurt a bit,” A small lie that came with a just-as-small smile. Some reassurement. ”But I felt like I needed to do it. It was like something was trying to guide me down that path.”

The migraine grew in intensity but Garrick’s will was relentless, steeling his mind to focus on the woman in front of him and not what he was feeling. He may have let his neutral facade slip before but he made sure to keep it up this time, trying his best to let save Ryoko from worrying herself about it.

”Don’t worry about dinner. I technically invited you to eat and you trained me free of charge. Least I could do is treat you to some penne vodka or something.”