Menace of the Monomolecular Machiavelli! [100% OPEN]

Roleplay locations.
Molecularr

Menace of the Monomolecular Machiavelli! [100% OPEN]

Post by Molecularr » Thu May 07, 2020 4:44 pm

"I've come to make an announcement."

There were some who claimed network hijacking had become gauche since the advent of social media, that any manifesto could be uploaded and distributed across the web with far less risk than breaking into broadcasting studios. But Rudol Stern, alias Molecularr, desired that everyone be aware of what he was about to say. It was vital that this message be distributed far and wide, so as to avoid mass chaos. That was why his black masked visage now graced each and every television set that had previously been running CNN, MSNBC, or FOX. Televisions in storefronts; the great screens of Times Square; little Timmy's Aerial smartphone.

The footage revealed nothing of his location - there was no discernible background behind him save for a laboratory, an array of buttons, and what looked like a massive telescope. But those things were out of focus. For now, there was only him, the black-clad shrinking terror, the man who mastered material space, the Monomolecular Machiavelli whose crisp and prrrrristine voice now graced the airwaves.

"For too long has the bulk of mankind been subjected to greater and greater indignities. Unlimited grrrowth and its consequences spell disaster for us all. That is why I, Molecularr, will be carrying out my ultimate plan."

The camera allowed the telescope-like object behind him to come into focus, revealing that it was not a telescope at all, but rather, something else entirely. He was situated in some sort of overlook, with deep canyons behind him. Clouds swirled past the windows. The telescope was aimed not at the sky, but at the horizon.

"This is my miniaturization engine. Behold - !"

Pressing a button on one of his gloves, he clenched his fists together as an enormous purple wave emanated at light-speed from the device.

And then, the orange rockforms behind began to recede, contracting smaller and smaller, until there was nothing left.

He had shrunken them.

"Humanity could not contain its greed, its rrrapaciousness. Every system is too large to be manageable. Famines occur not because of scarcity, but because we cannot transport our resources efficiently; wars are fought because some scoundrels like to act big. All of this, the proven result of ever-increasing growth. I knew it would take a super-genius to address this problem..."

He spread his arms wide as the enormous device behind him hissed and steamed...and began to charge again. Every town nearby where he was had just lost all of its power, and that was for a 1% charged shot. What he had in mind was far more grand. An untested ambition, a gamble that could never be replicated.

"I had thought of reducing the population, but to do so by force would be a great evil. I am no barbarian. I am Molecularr."

He curled his hands into fists.

"That's right! I could not shrink the population, so I'm going to shrrrrrrink the Earth!"

Behind him, an enormous glass orb was wheeled into position.

"You have one hour to prepare before my miniaturization engine fires again. My Earth Capture Unit will plllluck the tiny world from its newfound position. I've engineered it to provide for our every need: gravity, sunlight, changes in the seasons...and when the Earth is contained in this new home, it will be safer than ever before. I can end droughts with drrrrrrroplets from a pipette, and stamp out dictators with a mere press of my thumb upon their country...so go now! Prepare for the Great Truncation! And to those greedy ones who would stand in my way, because they fear the change I have wrought...if you interrupt the process now, the fate of the world will be irreversibly jeopardized!"

He pointed at the camera, voice crackling through his mask.

"So don't."

The feed cut, and he began to laugh, a guffaw which crescendoed to a howl of triumph...

...joined by his innumerable foot soldiers and security guards...

...and echoing throughout the concrete fortress they'd leased, positioned cleverly within the United States of America.
Last edited by Molecularr on Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion

Re: Menace of the Monomolecular Machiavelli! [100% OPEN]

Post by Legion » Thu May 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Time: [REDACTED]
Asset: Legion
Mission: Saving the world
again, I guess

So you're trying to tell me you want me to check this out because a Darth Vader Knockoff thinks he can get away with the reverse plot of Despicable Me with just an hour of leeway?

He paused, then added, Sir?

Look, if it were up to me, I'd be telling you and Greta to get back to L-8 so we could figure it out together, or leave it to the professional superheroes. The Councilman sounded somewhat frustrated, Bay noticed. It's Leviathan that wants you to get involved, Powers only know why.

Alright. Bay didn't get as tired as he used to these days, but this did sound like a ridiculous waste of his and Greta's time and energy. Still, he already knew better than to argue with the new Leviathan. Whatever he was planning, he'd need the full cooperation of all his assets, and Bay had no intention of being the exception. We'll see what we can find, then contact the Society-

That's a nope. Leviathan wants you to handle this yourself as far as you can.

What? Why? Greta's voice broke through Bay's consciousness, and he couldn't say he was disappointed to let her ask what they were both thinking. Wouldn't that reduce our overall standing with them?

Not unless our standing can get to a negative number. A dry laugh, then another sigh. Look, I know you and Seven-Oh-Seven can handle this quick and efficient. Just get it done before he miniaturizes us, okay?

You got it, Rex. Tell Leviathan this'll be over before he knows it.

Bay held up his hand for the Queen Alexandria's birdwing to perch as she stepped out between the threads of space-time. He turned back to the office floor to find that just about everyone had stopped what they had been doing to rerun the footage. Normally, he'd tell them to get back to work on the various anomaly-related problems Solar City might have to offer. Now, though, he set the birdwing down on his own desk before starting to bark orders at his volunteer employees.

"Sandy, Jake, take care of decrypting that signal. Dillon, Andy, check that footage against satellite footage to see if we can find what the [EXPLETIVE] he just shrank. Somer, Tina, try to scrub some of the feedback and encryption out of his voice and see if we can get a read on that. Remember, folks, we're on a clock."

He was slipping back into his trench coat as he spoke, and had already put his sunglasses on by the time he noticed that Jake had raised his hand.

"Uh, Agent Richards, sir, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like? Field work." He pointed to the massive butterfly on his desk as he turned toward the door. "You know how to reach me. Try not to start any fires before I get back this time."

He disappeared into a flurry of butterfly wings before the culprit of the last fire could speak up to defend herself.

Alright, if I was a black-masked bastard with a shrink ray, where the hell would I be hiding?

Bay had gone to a landmark to think. He sat at the edge of the Grand Canyon, out of view of the majority of tourist spots, while glaring at the orange stone like it would have an answer for him. It didn't, but based on the formation of the stones he'd seen in the footage, he was at least in a similar setting.

Greta's voice was a softer murmur than it had been in the previous months, but he made a point of listening to the whispered flutters of thought that intersected with his own. Molecularr had a strange accent, maybe Italian, maybe Spanish, but he'd clearly rolled his r's. At the same time, his warning had been English, broadcasted over American news networks. So USA was a good basic assumption for a home base.

C'mon, Bay, you're not that out of practice. You can do better than that.

Hmm. Well, something like that would draw a lot of power, so it'd have to be a sound distance away from civilization so as not to draw attention... ugh, but he'd already figured out it was probably in the middle of a North American desert area, so that didn't help. Not him, anyway. He paused, then focused his attention back to California.

Sandy, Jake, quit with the signal. I want all information on recent massive power outages in the US. Focus on the Southwest, but let me know if anything stands out in particular.

He didn't wait for them to answer before lowering his hand and turning his face back to the sky. Absolute worst case scenario, maybe he could just...literally stop the shrinking from happening, but that would take a lot of concentration and a lot of energy, not to mention he'd need to still know the exact center of the radius of shrinkage and the exact moment when it started. Getting involved before the hour was up would be smarter, he knew, but for right now all he could do was wait to hear back from the office about definites.

Woodrugh

Post by Woodrugh » Thu May 07, 2020 10:32 pm

"Did the washing machine beep yet?!"

Frantically quizzing words echoed down from the lips of his mother down into the pop mancave he had built in their basement. The door to the stairway was opened wide so that the musty, stale air that gathered in the old level could escape. Robert did not answer though, he was kind of caught up in the direction of his procrastination: a hijacked broadcast.

Kind of gauche but a welcome distraction none-the-less.

Fist pushed into cheekbone and elbow supported against his work desk, he stared into his computer screen like a proper teenage zombie. The man's concept was interesting enough to explore. It presented just enough moral quandry to stave off any unbecoming, conventional labels one might throw at Molecularr. After a parching while, Woodrugh's lower jaw hinged once more with an audible gulp just as the scientist needlessly prolonged another word.

He decided then in that bovine moment that the man on his screen was, ipso facto, criminally insane.

The feed cut off, leaving Woodrugh to wonder if there was any maniacally laughter afterwards. Though, he was leaning towards a hard yes in that regard. One hour offered a lot of will. Take the last hour of the Cuban Missile Crisis for example. Or the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. Or the death of 4 million people at the hands of one Genghis Khan.

Or the Eleventh Hour on Armistice Day.

He pouted momentarily, hand now drifted from the cheek to palm the back of his scalp. It did smell bad down there. Fingers drummed on the hardwood surface of his desk. Though the delicate balance of the world hung at stake, Woodrugh didn't really feel pressured. By his estimation conventional armed forces would mobilize in 13 minutes, that's how long he calculated it would take for an ordinary SIGINT officer to triangulate Molecularr's position from emission signatures.

But we weren't living in the ordinary. Metahuman agents would most likely spring to action much quicker... Just in case though, he booted up a ethically dubious kernel driver component backdoor that saw University lab computers retasked to spectropgraphic free labor for the time being.

Just because Molecularr caused a brownout didn't necessarily dictate he was within the bounds of the affected cities. The madman, though mad, showed much more foresight than that. He would most likely had hijacked the grid for his nefarious goals. Thankfully, Robert had his own very formidable faculty for inductive reasoning that would soon have him in possession of Molecularr's likely location.

Although, he couldn't physically expedite the process. His virtual machine was still a piece of shit and the notion of having to do the math himself, while definitely faster, just wasn't inticing. It was still math and honestly? Woodrugh would rather implode during micronization than do that right now.

"I SAID: Did the washing machine BEEP yet?!!"

"No!"
"Not yet."
"It's pronounced Woodrue."

MAXIMUM MAN

MAXING OUT THE MINIMUM

Post by MAXIMUM MAN » Sat May 09, 2020 8:06 pm

'Deep breath, you can do this...' The gold and blue clad hero thought to himself. His muscles were tense, his mind raced with possibilities. BAM CLICK...BAM CLICK

"Checkmate Mr.Hero"

MAXIMUM MAN leaned back away from the chessboard and let out a hearty laugh. "You know Mr.Lonehouse I may need to hire you as my combat strategist." He stood up from the wooden chair and took in the warm Millennium City sunlight. This park had become a new favorite place of his along with the game of chess being a fantastic pass time. Being located right in the heart of the City of Heroes it made for the perfect spot to watch for trouble of anykind.

Unfortunately for him trouble had taken the 2 a.m. flight and had just landed. He had watched the entire broadcast from inside his garage, a series of computer systems scanning the footage frame by frame for any hint of where the villain could've been. At the same time MAXIMUM MAN was pulled up a map of blackouts in the continental United States as well as weather maps, cross referencing the two to locate a series of strange blackouts that seemed to have no cause.

He triangulated the points and acquired a general location which would've had to be enough. The roof of his garage slowly split open, a blue hovercraft lifted up into the air, anti-gravity engines roared to life, and he took off towards the town closest to his triangulated point.

The door to the local sheriffs department swung open and MAXIMUM MAN walked in. There was a small group of federal agents inside already working towards locating the criminal. "I'm here to help."

Molecularr

Post by Molecularr » Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm

"Hey boss. Suppose them super folks break out of the containment unit after you shrink the world. What then?" asked Subcommander Boyle, whose insights and competence were valued by the Man who Mastered Matter. Boyle had a bit of a gut, but he was skilled at keeping the men in line, approaching them with a lighter touch than Molecularr often did. The man's status as Molecularr's second-in-command meant he was entitled to an answer.

"Simple, Subcommander. Breaching the containment unit would disrupt Micro-Earth's equilibrium. Worse, if it fell out of the jar we keep it in, it might simply shatter. They wouldn't dare risk it."

Molecularr pressed his black glove up against the massive jar-like unit, a translucent reinforced vessel that would open to engulf the Earth as it shrank around their feet. The facility they were in would be all that was immune, suddenly converted into a satellite unit that would replace the third planet from the Sun in its orbit. Storing the Earth itself aboard a minuscule space station - ingenious. Nothing from the outside could ever so much as hope to locate it, and when all the problems of the Earth itself were smaller, they'd be so much more easily managed...

Boyle nodded and returned to his post, hefting his assault rifle and going back on patrol. Molecularr crossed his arms behind his back, waiting for his massive machine to de-heat. It was imperative that he give the people of Earth advance warning, or there would be certain unavoidable casualties...there were always going to be deaths, but this would at least give them a chance to land some planes, to hunker down...yes, he always strove to minimize deaths, not avoid them entirely.

But he had lied. The machine wouldn't be ready in an hour...but thirty minutes. An ingenious ploy. They always expected his kind to tell the truth about their schemes, for some reason...

Meanwhile...

...efforts to identify the location of Molecularr's base by the likes of Bay, Woodrugh, and Maximum Man would ultimately return a hit.

His mobile fortress was parked nowhere other than Oklahoma, in the middle of the United States. Nearby towns were reporting blackouts and panic as the mountain range receded into the Earth, a feat of science as terrifying as it was implausible.

Woodrugh

Post by Woodrugh » Fri May 15, 2020 6:06 pm

A positive return.

The map loaded slowly on his millennial computer screen, he wishfully slapped on its side to get it going faster. It appeared to that the maestro of microscopic mayhem was operating out of Oklahoma. It made sense from a practical point of view. Thematically, Woodrugh somewhat hoped that the location would be tied to Molecularr's agenda. Something like the smallest state or a tiny island. Oh well.

A pen rolled into the middle of a carelessly tossed away book while the boy began typing on his computer instead of actually doing what he was supposed to. Homework. What a drag.

Anyhow, Robert immediately forwarded his findings along the Society of Superheroes line. He didn't emphasize masking his device's identity protocols but maintained quality encryption when it came to the channel itself. Though he wished to remain his anonymous tip to remain anonymous, Woodrugh also kind of doubted there would be any significant inquiry into who sent the coordinates. It's not like the Society can arrest him for helping out.

Several hundred copies of the datapack, authored by 'BARCA', would appear in their communal reception system as hacking into their system would take time and computing power Rob didn't have at his disposal. This should be a sufficient way to get their attention.
"It's pronounced Woodrue."

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Sat May 16, 2020 12:01 am

This particular scheme of the latest insane individual Elektra felt was just destined for failure. Even without intervention she kind of figured it would just blow up in a mastermind's face. There was no counting on such things though, even if there was only the tiniest percentage of probability the earth shrinking plan would work it was up to people to stop it. If the world shrinking plan did work then there was odds of a bunch of death and a new ruler at the least. She didn't remember every laws specific code, she was relatively sure though world domination and theft of all the land was illegal somewhere.

The difficulty was in figuring out where the guy was. Not to many if any hints had been given. Elektra also was not the tech wizard in either SOS or IRPD. Which was why when she got a bunch of spam she actually bothered to look. Was the only weird thing so far to have her phone vibrate so much. In a lack of excitement the phone was checked and the marksman let those she knew get updated. A simple text saying where to start looking if they were, to anyone on the team she was apart of or had recently connected with the team through Prodigy.

Next step was teleporting to Oklahoma of all places. Get in location of the cities experiencing a black out and start looking from there. The sight line made a bit more clear as mountains disappeared. Sharp trained eyes eventually finding a mobile place that as a fortress wasn't the hardest thing to spot. Quiver knew she had a decent amount of time if the guy was telling the truth. She didn't trust the criminals though, because of this while she tried to stay covered by foliage around she emphasized speed over stealth. Trying to get close enough to sort out where best to start a siege, as usually one archer against a fortress wasn't ideal. "Why can't it ever just be heists?" She mutters to herself as one of her heavier arrows is notched in preparation.

MAXIMUM MAN

Post by MAXIMUM MAN » Sat May 16, 2020 6:08 am

"Thank you Seargent, I will take it from here."

MAXIMUM MAN shook the police seargents hand.

"Please maintain a 10 mile no fly zone around the mobile fortress."

The gold and blue hero was out of the police station almost as fast as he'd gone in. Once they triangulated the general location it was as simple as doing a quick lap around the sky to locate the massive moving fortress. Now that the police were in the loop he sent a call in to Elektra who had messaged his prodigy watch.

"Elektra, this is MAXIMUM MAN, I'm moving in to engage the fortress. I plan on taking the front door, hopefully I'll draw enough attention for you to mask your entrance."

His blue supercraft shot through the sky in a series of sonic booms. As he approached the base his fingers let loose on a series of switches. The canopy opened up, the auto-pilot engaged driving the craft straight for the doors of the building, and MAXIMUM MAN positioned himself on the very front of the car. The wind ripped across his costume. 3 he took a deep breath that delivered a burst of MAXIMUM ENERGY into his fist. 2 he let loose a second blast of MAXIMUM ENERGY that caused his fist to start to glow bright orange. 1 He shot himself forward off of the hood of the hovercar as it pulled up shooting high into the sky. Using the combined momentum of the hypersonic travel and the raw power of a double powered up MAXIMUM IMPACT he brought an almost flaming fist against the door of the building. His body would completely withstand the impact thanks to the hypersonic racing augments but, the same couldn't be said for the front of the building.

"Knock Knock, it's Justice O'Clock villain!"

Molecularr

Post by Molecularr » Sat May 16, 2020 9:06 pm

INTRUDER ALERT. A SUPERHERO IS IN THE BASE!

"A superhero is in the base!?!" exclaimed Boyle, adjusting his M-branded helmet. He was prepared to marshal the troops immediately, instantly checking on his gun and activating his communicator, ready to relay any of his commander's orders. But behind his full-face mask, Molecularr merely grit his teeth.

So. Maximum Man arrives in first place.

"Order your men to rrretreat, Subcommander. Capable as they are, they are no match for him. Fear not; you have all already distinguished yourselves in my eyes. Do not throw your health away for my sake. All I expect of you is that you remain safe from harm."

At those solemn words, Boyle retreated, his loyalty redoubled. He only burned at the thought of leaving his boss alone to confront the superheroes - though he'd known this moment would come.

Molecularr steepled his fingers, eyes centered on the cameras that confirmed the destruction of the outer bulkhead. That part of the fortress was effectively vestigial; it was the inner chamber that needed to remain intact when the time came to shrink the Earth, or they'd all die in the vacuum of space. To that end, he'd had every single door opened. Maximum Man would simply breach them if they were closed, endangering them all - though he could not be aware of that fact.

The retreat of the henchmen would be conspicuous, notable to the unexpected visitor within the foliage. Molecularr was unaware of Quiver's presence, but once she entered the base, she'd be exposed to countless security cameras that would alert him. Otherwise, there would be no resistance to Maximum Man and Quiver's advance.

Molecularr turned his back to the main door, listening for the hum of the miniaturization engine as it powered up again.

"So, the Maximum Meddler has come to stand against humanity?" he'd shout through his mask when he heard the superhero enter the room. If he didn't yell, it could be hard to be heard through the garment.

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Mon May 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Elektra managed a smile seeing everyone leave the mobile base. Big and imposing as it was it looked like the staff was being sparred of any prolonged beat down. This also meant she didn't have to be as cautious with her arrows. Once they were let loose maybe she'd have a few staff to go through but at least nobody was going to be endangered by her planning. She'd give them some time, let the ranks thin some just to be safe but as she waited three arrows were thrust into a tree ready to be removed in a brief barrage.

"Should be in soon, going to use this time while I can to try and disrupt the systems." Elektra wasn't an engineer, she was at most able to work on her car some. There was though some obvious tells to any machine. It was a mobile base, meaning there were wheels treads or just some tell at the base of the vehicle. Engines were a rather big thing almost always either in the front or back of any vehicle. Then there was the shrink ray, there had to be some kind of fancy barrel or elaborate dish. The engine, treads and gun these were where the officer would aim or whatever the presumed equivalent would be.

As for the arrows themselves they were specifically heavy rods designed by Terminus to help break through buildings and incredibly durable materials. A more traditional tip would punch through most, a more blunt arrow would be like heavy ordnance fire. For all the heft these had it was light for the archer, and all her strength was put into pulling back on the bow string. The woman who could do such things as lift a bus put that might behind her drawing weight.

With a tree shaking thwack an arrow was set loose. Draw the next aim and repeat one more time. In a quick trio of shots that looked to damage the mobile base. Each arrow was moving at a hypersonic speed, and if there destructive capacity and speed wasn't enough well at least there was aim. The cobalt and gold eyed archer was known for shooting guns out of hands, as opposed to now where her target was rather broad in scope.