MAXIMUM Mechanic's (Character Base)

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: MAXIMUM Mechanic's (Character Base)

Post by illirica » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:25 am

Teja accepted the bottle when it was offered, unscrewing the cap and taking a drink. Easy enough, now. It hadn't been that long, though, since anything but the tiniest sips of water were a challenge. She was still generally tending towards multiple very small meals, but at least she was eating real solid food again. People weren't meant to spend months unconscious. Half a year ago, with Stahlzahn in her hand, she'd have bounced back from that as if it were inconsequential. Now...

Her hand held only water. She would not ask for anything else. She focused instead on the words, on Maximum Man's story, finding a very strange familiarity in it, something entirely unexpected.

"Gyras did that to Myrmidon, back during Surgath's first attack." Hope Sterlyn's ability to liquefy herself and adapt her body shape let her fit in almost anywhere, including nasal cavities. "Then I blasted her. She was... conductive. I thought she did it on purpose, to give me the opening. I didn't find out until later that she hadn't - so I suppose it was probably a bit of a surprise at the time." Teja smiled, reminiscing with amusement. "It worked, though."

She toyed with the water bottle, moving it in circles and feeling the motion of the liquid inside. "That was... one of the important turning points for the Society, actually. It was after that when we really started experimenting not just with supporting each other, but with combination attacks that made use of multiple aspects of what we could bring together. Of course, after that we also talked about it, so the next time something like that happened it didn't come as quite such a..." The word they were all thinking, no doubt, was shock. She brought the bottle to her lips and refused to say it, on principle.

Best to change the subject, before anyone accused her of having a sense of humor.

"Elektra has been instrumental in moving us towards working with police forces. Invictus started us down that path with sanctions from Interpol, but her being an active member of both the Society and IRPD been incredibly important - I don't think she realizes quite how important. Our local police and armed forces aren't quite up to the levels it sounds like they are in your time, but I think with people like her around, that sort of thing may start becoming more common." People like Capacitor, as well - even if she was no longer with the government, her background was well known, and she had been in the armed forces for eight years. The military had managed to adapt just fine to having a metahuman on board, with her.

And Hector. Hector... had never quite taken to it like she had, though. Being a soldier had never really been his dream - his dream had always been to be a hero. Back then, his attitude had driven her crazy.

Now, she just missed it.

She exhaled softly, not quite a sigh, then firmed her demeanor. If he couldn't be here to live his dream, then she would just have to see it through. To make sure it was there, when he returned. Despite what Maximum Man said about it, she'd never asked to be a hero - but there was someone she had to believe was out there still who wanted her to be one. If that was what was needed, then that was what she would be.

For him.

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Garrick accepted the water graciously and uncapped it. The smell of plastic hit him as he went for a sip, the taste of a refreshing drink confirming there wasn’t some poison or impurity with the beverage. As MAXIMUM MAN did, he put the water aside after drinking, settling in for Teja’s story.

Hearing Gyras’ name got a smile out of the quiet man as he absent-mindedly remembered some of his time with the retired hero. Hope Sterlyn was certainly someone who didn’t exactly meet Garrick’s expectations, though far from doing so in a negative way. Her status as one of the “old guard” in the superhero world made her seem larger-than-life to him when he first joined. He rarely talked to her off-missions, slightly intimidated at being on the same team as someone he’s considered an inspiration for becoming a hero in the first place. He still thinks he’s an idiot for not talking to her more when he could.

”Elektra’s a godsend. There’s a big divide between heroes and law enforcement in most places. Some capes just don’t think cops are enough in handling meta or even regular crimes. That kind of thinking is what separates both sides more, you know? Heroes can get egotistical and if they’re naive, they can end up making situations worse. Gives capes an even worse rep with cops. Someone like Elektra shows that there’s no need for either side to think less of the other.” Though there was a pretty large gap of technology between now and the future, Garrick still believed that having cops and heroes working together would be a substantial step in the right direction. Hm, now that he thought about it some more.

Maybe Elektra is a central figure in why the law and heroes work together so well in HIS time?

It would be very fitting, all things considering. The Society’s Archer was someone who worked behind the scenes just as much as she did in public.

”How do you feel about the team?” Much of the roster shifted over time. There were some members MAXIMUM MAN probably hasn’t met yet. ”I know everyone’s been busy lately but I was wondering what your first impressions of everyone are."

MAXIMUM MAN

Post by MAXIMUM MAN » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm

He had thought about his interactions with the other society members of this time alot during his free time. He had actually planned on bringing it up with Capacitor at a later date but, since Garrick asked he didn't hesitate to speak on the matter.

"The veterans are skilled, coordinated, and efficient. Even when fighting with new heroes you all demonstrated fantastic adaptation. I can see the fruits of all that practice when I'm out there with you all."

He paused a moment and sipped his water.

"With that being said, and with all due respect, the new members have no clue or apparent desire to work with others effectively and are going to get alot of people killed. I would bench almost all of them until they show they're willing, then again you can't really bench heroes now can you HAHAHA"

He ended his tirade with a hearty laugh at his own joke. His point still stood though, their new guard needed training and lots of it before they should've even thought about going into the field.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:57 pm

“Our core group has put a lot of effort into training together,” Teja commented. The same could not be said for their allies, of course. It wasn’t that they were unskilled, but they didn’t have the same joint capabilities of a long-standing unit. It was really no different than a military unit - those who had worked together for a long time trusted each other, knew each other’s abilities, could rely on one another. There was a depth that wasn’t shown by those who lacked the same background.

“Right now, I’ve been... encouraging a push towards enhancing our abilities to work with those outside our own group. In a way, the Society’s success has almost made it more insular, rather than less. Invictus tried to bring in just about everyone, but once we had a reliable group of a size decent enough to cover most major events, there was... less need to bring others on board. And we had our own challenges at the time.” Her gaze flicked to Garrick: His death, Volksgeist’s passing, all the challenges that had stemmed from those things... so much of that.

Not enough of this. Not enough just talking, with allies or friends. Always managing a crisis, never quite coming out of crisis mode. It was a stressful situation - in some ways, it was a wonder they hadn’t all burned out entirely.

Some of them had. Axiom. Hector, though he’d been denying it for over a year. LA shouldn’t have happened - he should have been pulled from the roster until he could get his abilities under control, not pushed out into situations where they’d spiral out, again and again, until it became too much to handle. Hindsight was invaluable, as always.

And of course, as Maximum Man said, one couldn’t really bench heroes. Teja had a fairly good idea where a conversation with Hector about him taking some time off to get ahold of himself would have gone. It wouldn’t have been good. It probably would have been the end of whatever tentative relationship they’d been trying - maybe failing - to build. And he might have still been alive.

She twisted the water bottle in her hands, idle motion, something to ground herself back in the physical world and escape the cycle of her thoughts. Out of the past, back to the present - maybe the future. “There are a lot of different people out there. Some of them may eventually fit with the Society, others may be better off on their own, worked with as allies from time to time. Unless we make that push to try, though, we aren’t going to know. It might be awkward, but it’s a necessary step towards where we need to be.”

Teja watched the future hero for a moment, curiously. “It’s different when you’re from, isn’t it? What’s it like?”

MAXIMUM MAN

Post by MAXIMUM MAN » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:13 pm

MAXIMUM MAN turned fully serious now, any sense of his usual cheerful personality drained out of him.

"I'm sure that you know as well as I do that there's no room for awkward in our line of work. Awkward leads to mistakes and mistakes cost people their lives."

His words weren't laced with mal-intent rather, they carried the tone of an idealistic man from another time.

"In my timeline Chevron never fell fighting Surgath. He lead a prosperous life working with the society and eventually took the reigns. It was through his influence that the hero world became truly legitimised as law enforcement. There aren't any real solo acts, all working heroes with any real authority ally themselves with a hero team. The few solo acts there have been weren't team players and cost countless civillians their lives. Since the last large scale invasion it's been illegal to operate without a team affiliation."

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Garrick nodded over at MAXIMUM MAN, his own demeanor matching more seriousness the future-man displayed. Learning about Chevron’s survival in the MAXIMUM UNIVERSE was interesting considering it meant that there was something before them that separated the actions between their world and the other. The two worlds shared similarities but there were enough changes to make each distinct. Though that meant they couldn’t count on all of the information MAXIMUM MAN gave them as being exact, there was a part of Garrick that felt like gloating. Any reason to flip off destiny was fine enough to him.

”I came from a solo act when I started getting into things. I never did anything terrible when I was by myself, but I know that was just because I got lucky. Making it mandatory to be a part of a team is definitely a sensible option.” That’s not even speaking about how difficult things can be when you’re by yourself. There have been plenty of times where Garrick’s been pretty much useless on his own, but the moment he joined the Society, that all changed. He found a role he could fill and people who he could depend on. They all had their own strengths and things that made them unique. If he had to do what he’s done while a part of the Society by himself, he’d be a dead man, or worse. ”Even the more reckless or weak end up with people watching over them. Hard to have that when you’re alone.”

MAXIMUM MAN’S comments about the team didn’t escape him, more in that they brought him a bit of thought since those concerns were ones Garrick shared. Teja had the same view as him on it and brought up every point he may have had about it. Without confidence or trust in the people helping you, it becomes hard being able to rely on anyone but yourself. Pair that up with a lack of confidence in yourself and there’s going to be mistakes made that could have been avoided. Ones with a price to be paid.

”We might not have Chevron around anymore but I think the world’s going to turn to wanting all heroes to be in proper teams at some point. Feels natural, you know?” He uncapped his water and took a few sips from it before continuing.

”What was your team like? With the car and all, I’d guess you were the more tech savvy among them which is pretty cool. Unless you have your own MAXIMUM PIT CREW or something." The more serious demeanor he was more or less gone now, replaced by a more light-hearted tone. "Teja and Terminus are sort of like that with the rest of the Society, I don’t think anyone else is as good with tech like they are except...maybe Akhilleus?”

The name carried a bit of weight whenever he invoked it. It was hard for him not to feel it, especially with Teja in the room. It felt bad bringing him up sometimes but Garrick knew better than to try and go out of his way of ever referencing the man. He learned that after they lost Michael.

"How'd you end up with that speed demon anyways?" He said, pointing over at the hovercar. "I don't imagine those are too common in your time."

MAXIMUM MAN

Post by MAXIMUM MAN » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:43 pm

MAXIMUM MAN smiled at the memories of working with his allows back home. He had made new allies here but, to say he didn't miss his life in the future wouldve been completely off.

"I was a member of the Society of Superheroes Earth Division. As the power of the team grew they began taking on more intergalactic challenges. They created an offshoot division to handle Earth based threats. Make no mistake there are still solo patrols, infact alot of the work we did was solo. The team affiliation simply helped keep heroes accountable. Chevron was a big player in getting the laws passed after a group of anti-vaxian vigilantes murdered his wife in 2568..."

He stopped himself from rambling on any further; he just got really excited talking about his times history, especially since he had studied under Chevron during his first two years.

"I don't want to bore you with the intricacies of hero politics in my time, but, if you wanted talk about it at another point I'd be happy too. As for the car, it's a relic from my other life. Hyper Sonic racing is a massive sports industry and before I got my powers I was one of the best. I raced in everything from sprints to intergalactic Endurance runs. It's actually the 7th iteration of the vehicle and it's designed to be able to utilize MAXIMUM energy. I actually built it myself but, the engines were designed by Pendragon's Grandson. "

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:53 pm

"Awkward is how we learn," Teja countered, "In your timeline, you have the infrastructure for people to do that before they hit the front lines. In ours... we're not there yet. We don't yet have the time to keep everyone back until they're ready - the threats we face won't wait until we're ready. Yes, sometimes that costs people their lives... but doing nothing would cost lives, as well."

Chevron would have known that. She remembered him, remembered him standing up to Surgath. The Society had been barely past its inception, then, relatively untried. Surgath's attack had been their first major trial by fire as a team - and yet none of them had shied away. Chevron had done everything he could to help equip the team, and to support them and give them the time they needed to protect their people. When it came to a choice of sacrifice, he'd given his life unhesitating.
"It's been a good ride, Earth."

She smiled at the thought, his final words, emblazoned on the building at BEACON facility that bore his name. "Chevron was a good man. We were fortunate to have known him. And Garrick's right as well. We watch over one another. It's a powerful thing, just knowing that. Maybe we'll trend towards something like in your universe - we've been working with students here and there to try to help them develop, so that when they're ready, they'll have a good background. I still don't think we're quite to the place in our world where everyone needs or wants a team - but I'm glad that we have this one."

Garrick's question intrigued her as well - she wondered what sorts of teams there were out there in Maximum Man's future, and whether any of them would have been anything she'd recognize. Garrick, too, seemed intrigued, making inquiries about what the teams might have been like, how they might have developed. His comments were almost idle, easygoing as was his nature. Curious, but neutral... until the last.

Hector.

He hadn't been good with technology in the slightest. For the longest time, she'd deplored him for an absolute idiot in the department - and then all of a sudden he'd decided to learn, and done so with a voracity that had brought him all too quickly up to speed, focused on building because he needed something that would be enough. It had started... after Surgath.

No, that wasn't it exactly. After Myrmidon. The image flashed unbidden into her mind, the axe buried in his chest. Teja closed her eyes, letting herself exhale softly, taking the moment she needed. By the time Maximum Man had wrapped up his explanation, she was carefully in control once more, although there was a hint of tension that hadn't been there before, having failed to relax entirely. Still a little bit on guard, but that, too, felt natural.

"I haven't worked much with vehicles, but yours seems... more than capable. I'd like to have a look at it some time, if you don't mind." Actually, what she would like to do would be take it apart and rebuild it until she understood how it worked, but Teja had a feeling that particular idea was... unlikely to happen. People tended to get a little defensive when she asked if she could reverse engineer all their contraptions, after all. It tended to be a bit awkward.

But... as she'd just pointed out, that was how things were learned.