Hi, I'm Eidolon Martins. I know you're a vigilante. Can we talk?

Roleplay locations.
Eidolon

Hi, I'm Eidolon Martins. I know you're a vigilante. Can we talk?

Post by Eidolon » Thu May 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Now Playing: Ill Wind
Radiohead
Eidolon was well aware that what he was about to do could be considered a very fucking bad idea.

Of course, common sense had never been much of a deterrent to him; lately, it seemed like he was making more and more idiotic decisions, and he didn't quite know how to feel about that. On one hand, it'd gotten him ahead-- nationally, he'd gotten his name out, and he wasn't just some kid anymore who yelled into a mic on Twitch. He'd gone to college-- and had done well-- before family forced him to leave; he'd managed to secure an interview with a government agent; most of all, he'd gotten himself a job that wasn't a freelance media position, and his employers actually seemed satisfied with his work (most of the time). Overall, he'd done pretty fuckin' well for himself, and-- he was in a good place. There was no denying that.

Something was still missing, though.

It was something that was fairly obvious when he thought about it. All Eidolon needed to do was think back to that one day in the park-- the day he'd lost his leg, and the first time he'd actually stood up and done something with his life. See, yelling about what heroes would do over the internet brought some amount of self-satisfaction, sure, but it didn't hold a fucking candle to actually... doing something. And, sure, sure, he'd gotten his ass handed to him. He'd lost a leg. Even then, despite all the losses he'd endured as a result of his decision, he wouldn't have changed what he'd done. The fact he'd gotten to his feet and done something-- if not only to act as a distraction, or bait, or even nothing at all-- was solace enough.

It-- was the shit that heroes did. That singular moment in that park gave him more meaning than any pathetic bullshit he'd ever felt in his life, combined. Any attempts to chase the feeling came up short, and there was this sort of... feeling, in a way, that began to mount in his gut the more he thought about it. The more he thought about doing it again.

Dad would've wanted him to do something with his life. He knew how.

Knock, knock, knock.

Rachel Greene was how.

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Hi, I'm Eidolon Martins. I know you're a vigilante. Can we talk?

Post by Annasiel » Thu May 21, 2020 9:07 pm

~☀~

"I'm not trying to hint at anything, I'm just saying you two have been hanging out a lot."

"If you weren't fucking hinting at anything, you wouldn't have called me a thot, retard."

Ben was perched backwards on his desk chair, a pile of textbooks stacked beside him - doing homework, technically, though his attention was currently solely on his sister. He leaned back against the edge of the desk and grinned.

"I mean, fact of the matter - you're going out, like, every other day, constantly texting, even getting booty calls -"

His words were cut off by a well-tossed jacket smothering his face. A moment of silence - thank Christ - for Rachel to continue picking out what to wear. It was dumb, that this annoyed her so much. She was used to Ben ribbing her constantly - they'd been at each other's throats their entire life, and for the most part, it was all in good fun. This, though, hit different. So what, she wanted to pick out something nice to wear? This was her first real friend in years, and she wanted to make a good impression, dammit.

Ben pulled off the jacket and tossed it back, but it stopped midair, a shield popping into existence just long enough to halt its arc before it fell to the floor. Rachel pulled a cardigan out of her closet, pushed a finger through a dime-sized hole in its side - forgot how the fuck that one happened - and tossed it to the side with a sigh.

"Listen, Ben. He's a friend. Just a friend. I don't have a lotta those, y'know? So maybe lay off with the shithead bit."

Ben's grin faded a little, and he shrugged, turning back to his work.

"You guys do look cute together, though."

"Shut the fuck up."

Someone knocked on the front door. Jumping, Rachel grabbed her faded pink hoodie - why the fuck did she even try to dress nicer - and threw it on, bounding down the stairs two at a time. She took a moment to fix her bangs, smiled as casually as she could manage, and opened the door.

"Hey, Kie - oh. You're, uh - what's his face, the guy across the street, right? What's up?"

~☀~
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

Eidolon

Post by Eidolon » Thu May 21, 2020 10:28 pm

What's-his-face. Nice. Part of him didn't feel so bad about figuring out her identity, now.

"Yeah. I'm, uh, Eidolon. Martins. Call me Eid. I-- need to talk to you." He spoke, voice a little bit lowered in case there were prying eyes and ears present. In reality, they were both in a middle class California suburbs in the late evening-- the only people out and about, right now, were alcoholics that accidentally wandered into the neighborhood and sociopathic runners-- but it was still in good practice to be quiet whenever possible. Living in a city that was effectively a microcosmic surveillance state did wonders for his paranoia; he still double-checked his prosthetic every week or so, and made it a point to duct tape his cameras and unplug his microphones when he wasn't using them.

"Can I come in?" Eidolon asked, already moving to open the door wide enough to step through the entryway. He didn't quite wait for a response and closed the door behind them both, regardless of whether or not Rachel's hand was still around the handle; once they were both inside the house, Eidolon moved a few steps into the house and looked around, peering through the various doorways which spread out into the rest of the property. He rubbed the back of his head, tidying his slightly-long hair in the process, and looked back to the girl who'd let him in. He looked and acted like a crackhead, surely, and there was a precise window of about 15 seconds before she asked him to get the fuck out.

So, naturally, he pulled out his phone, staring at it and silently pulling up his photo gallery app.

"Is there anyone else still in the house? If so, can we-- can we, uh, go someplace private? To chat?" What was he, a pedophile on Dateline? A stalker? Both? God fucking dammit. He half expected Chris Hansen to walk around the fuckin' kitchen corner and ask him to have a seat. "I-- fucking Christ, can this load, for the love of fucking God-- I have-- uh-- FUCK--"

Eidolon held up his phone for Rachel to see. On it was her-- the picture of the still security camera frame, the blinding mask completely absent. The realization that he'd led with the photo came a second to late, and he lowered the phone.

"-- I have something important. To tell you. Show you-- well, I already showed you, but-- talk to you about. Fuck."

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 am

Kieran sat back in his seat, the material like soft pieces of clouds taken from heaven’s itself. He looked outside the window idly, his body here but his mind elsewhere for the most part.

”I-I swear, it was some guy, some fucking kid. That was the only person who could have gotten ahold of his tapes…”

The security guard’s words echoed clear in his head. That trip to Millennium City ended with more action than either him or Rachel bargained for. Even without any sort of preparation, they managed to help not only take that monster down, but they managed to save some lives while doing it. It was a win-win by all means. It should have been. But something irked him.

Eidolon Martins.

It didn’t take him very long to figure out who had taken those tapes. Security cameras from outside the mall and in caught Eidolon walking around. Though, to the sleuth’s credit, Eidolon wasn’t someone who stuck out like a sore thumb. The only reason Kieran was able to get on his case as quickly as he did was because he recognized Eidolon. He’d seen him before on T.V, on news sites, and for a few days, when he was trending on twitter. The young reporter who lost his leg trying to help Arno Flint take down an assassin. The college kid who got a prosthetic to replace the lost limb and a full ride to college.

The nosy brat who had been just a little quicker than Kieran.

This is annoying…

From his normally collected expression came a spurt of tension as he sighed out. His fingers rubbed the bridge of his nose for a few seconds, his eyes closing as he thought about the situation some more.

Evidence for it being Eidolon? He’s a reporter for starters. He has an uncanny ability of getting into odd situations, like getting an interview with Revolt or helping Axiom take out a gunman in Millennium City.

A shitposting streamer with a podcast getting suddenly involved with Assurance, Axiom, and Revolt? It was all suspicious...incredibly so.

If that weren’t enough...he lives right across the street from Rachel.

Which begs the question.

Why was he there?

Kieran tapped his leg.

Questions like this were troublesome. There wasn’t some book or guide he could follow that broke down some answer for him. He had to be proactive if he wanted to solve this problem which could end up making his life more complicated if Rachel got involved. He wanted to do this without getting her knowing. He wasn’t even one hundred percent sure that Eidolon secured those tapes to try and pick up some trail on them. The likeliest explanation was that Eidolon was one of those weirdos who tirelessly digested exo-event videos to try and get some glimpse of a hero’s identity during the middle of a fight…

...which wasn’t exactly good.

”Turn right on Spring Grove.”

The chauffeur turned as the GPS said, though really, Myers didn’t need it. The man was an experienced driver, having been a taxi driver in NYC before Kieran employed him. He was quiet too, though thoughtful. If he spoke of up, it was usually to offer a snack, radio change, or something that he thought Kieran should know about up on the road.

I’ll need to come up with a plan to find out what he wants. And what he knows.

Considering the employment Rachel’s father was in, Eidolon being some snoop for Assurance was unlikely. Apart from the prosthetic leg, it didn’t appear as if the mega corporation cared about what was happening with the Martins nowadays. The lack of surveillance on him meant it would be easier to carry out something during the night. Enough trauma to the head or a concoction could leave him with amnesia, if Kieran felt it needed to come to that.

His eyebrows knit together as he stared outside the window.

Rachel’s house was just a few homes down. In the door frame were two familiar figures. The girl he was here to see, and him.

”Speak of the devil…”

From the front, Myers looked up to the rear-view mirror to look at Kieran directly. The confusion on his face was clear.

”Huh? What was that?”

Kieran gave him a small wave of his hand, the serious expression on his face lessening as adjustments began to take place. As the black SUV neared Rachel’s home, a growing smirk began on his face.

”Oh, nothing. I was thinking out loud for a second.”

Myers’ right eyebrow slowly raised.

”Uh, you don’t really ever do that.”

The SUV rolled to a stop outside of the house.

”...Hm. I suppose you're right.”

”You have arrived at your destination!”

”Thank you, Myers.”

The rear door of the SUV opened and Kieran stepped out.

Even though it was supposed to be a small outing to the movies, he still came decked out in some nicer clothes. A white flat cap hid most of his hair subtly melting against the blue, short sleeve, button down shirt he had. A brown belt wrapped around his white pants just like his smartwatch did around his wrist. A pair of navy blue shoes finished the look.

There was confidence in his stride and face, hands in pockets signalling how comfortable he seemed to be. He didn’t quite break the barrier that stood between confidence and cockiness, making sure he had just the right amount of self-assurance. Not like it was hard. He felt almost entirely at ease. The only thing that was stopping Kieran from feeling fully relaxed was the fact that there was a stalker in Rachel’s home holding a phone to her face.

”Hey, Rach!” He called out, a few feet from the doorway. ”Sorry I’m late, there was a traffic jam on the highway.”

Kieran looked over towards Eidolon, smiling.

”Who’s your friend?”

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 am

~☀~

"I - guess?" Rachel replied, but he was already pushing past her, closing the door behind him. Rachel took a few steps back, but kept her hand on the handle, trying to keep it open. Dad was out jogging - she glanced outside, hoping to see him coming down the street, but no dice.

She let go, and it closed with a click.

"Can I help you?" she asked, folding her arms. "You don't look too hot, Eid. Something up with your mom?"

Eid. Eidolon. God, she felt sorry for the guy. Nobody in their right mind named their son Eidolon. She felt a little embarrassed for her and Ben, already - their parents had done that dumb cutesy thing of using their own names as inspiration for their kids. Ray, Rachel. Belle, Ben. It was dumb as fuck. She couldn't imagine if they decided to name them... Rayvon and Belveeda, or some shit.

Eid continued rambling about wanting someplace private, fumbling with his phone, and Rachel's brow furrowed in concern.

"Look, I'm gonna - gonna have to ask you to get to the point, Eid. You can tell me, here, only other people in the house are my mom and Ben and I trust - what the fuck."

He showed her the picture, and her heart leapt into her throat. He said he had something to tell her. To show her - already showed her. The picture, then. The picture of her face, clear as day, fighting off that giant wolf in Millennium City. How the fuck had he - why did he even - God, her fucking mask must've stopped working. Did anyone else see her face? Did anyone know?

"No," she replied. She pushed by him, opening the door and stepping outside, but stopped almost instantly - Kieran's car was parked outside, the man himself walking up her sidewalk.

Thank God.

"Hey, Kieran," she said, voice curt, with a slight waiver. "I - he's just some guy. My mom's nurse's kid. And he -" She glanced back, then leaned in, whispering. "He's got me. On camera. Kieran, I'm kinda panicking right now, I don't know what to do."

~☀~

Eidolon

Post by Eidolon » Fri May 22, 2020 3:10 am

Fuck.

Okay. Good. Great. This had gone about exactly as he'd expected-- shit, to be precise-- and he only had himself to blame for it. Why the fuck would he lead with the picture? Why wouldn't he say something first to at least preface the fact that he figured out a vigilante's secret identity? But no, no, he just had to fucking pull out his phone and shove it in her face like he'd accidentally sent out a dick pic to everybody on his contact list and needed somebody to look at it for proof. God-- why the fuck didn't he keep this to himself? What the fuck was wrong with him?

Rachel brushed past him, and Eidolon took a few steps back into the house, eyes narrowed as he made momentary eye contact with the Golden Valley Yacht Club looking fuck outside the front door. The dude just looked like he was back from doing a line of coke off of some hooker's navel on a sailboat, and he just miraculously walked in the moment Eidolon decided to confront somebody about a fucking vigilante identity. Great.

Fuck me, man. Fuck me.

She said a name-- Kieran-- and he crammed that into his brain for later use. Reflexively, Eidolon waved at the mention of himself, and his balls leapt into his chest once she leaned in and whispered something after looking directly at him. Sure-- Eidolon wasn't exactly inconspicuous, sure, but that was... far from fucking subtle. His extremely forced smile dropped to a look of terrified realization, and the journalist cleared his throat as he backed up another few steps, already looking for a way out.

"You know what? I'll come back-- another time. Busy, uh, you know? You-- you got, like-- bathroom? A bathroom? You have a bathroom, here? I--"

The moment his eyes locked onto the back entrance through the kitchen, he sprinted.

His hand found the knob in one fell swoop, contacting and turning the handle within a single fluid motion as his shoulder pushed open the door with an amount of force that released a very audible thump. He nearly tripped down the set of stairs, next, but caught himself into a roll, slamming his hip off of the grill that was set out on the patio and sending a very prominent stabbing pain into his side. Regardless, he ran-- ran-- and moved towards the back end of the property where a shed lay shunted against a fence wall. The entire yard was boxed in, which meant he'd need to fuckin' get over it, and fast.

Still sprinting at the fence, Eidolon pressed a foot against the side and pressed off of it, jumping upward and redirecting momentum to grab onto the side of the shed; with a second kick, his lower body was pushed off of the side of the shed and he pulled himself onto the roof. His workout routine finally fucking paid off for something, it seemed, and that something was making a quick escape from his neighbor's fucking backyard. Cookouts were going to be great, now. In a few months, they'd undoubtedly laugh about the time he'd awkwardly approached Rachel about being a vigilante and promptly fled their property like a confused rapist.

On the roof of the shed, Eidolon gave one look over his shoulder before leaping over the fence entirely, clearing it with one hand upon the edge and falling a decent 8 feet before tucking himself into a roll, standing, and running through someone else's yard, now. Fucking beautiful. Maybe the Robinsons from down the street could finally use their fucking guns to shoot trespassers like all the signs on their front lawn dictated. Unarmed teen shot in suburbs after sprinting through street like crackhead.

With any luck, the newspaper he worked for would publish his obituary.

Fuck my life.

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 am

Eidolon was nervous. The change in behavior was evident. He was nervous by Kieran’s mere presence alone. Well, he seemed fidgety even before Kieran’s arrival but now he was on edge. A surface level thought would have been to think Martins was socially anxious, but Kieran believed it to be more an extension of PTSD. Losing a leg after its been severed from a gunman was traumatic enough to stress anyone for the rest of their lives. It would explain why Eidolon seemed offset by an unknown variable like Kieran.

Though, he wasn’t the only one who was panicking right now.

"He's got me. On camera. Kieran, I'm kinda panicking right now, I don't know what to do."

Ah.

"You know what? I'll come back-- another time. Busy, uh, you know? You--”

The friendly smile on Kieran’s face held no warmness by this point as he simply stared at Eidolon, almost able to physically see the journalist’s mind turn gears while his eyes desperately searched for something. The anxiety in his tone and the way he glossed over a number of nearby items hinted that he was looking for an exit rather than a weapon to attack the two. That was a morally good thing. It meant they didn’t need to hurt him...but if they did, they could claim it was self defense. Not like they’d be wrong.

”-you got, like-- bathroom? A bathroom? You have a bathroom, here? I--"

Seeing Eidolon mentally lock onto the backdoor was interesting. Seeing him start running was even better. Kieran went out to grab Rachel’s hand, trying to hold her back as he ran off into and past the Greene’s famous BBQ backyard. From Maxwell, there was absolutely zero desire to chase after a prosthetically-enhanced, panicked man nor was there a real need to.

If they chased after Eidolon, they would get the attention of not only the neighbors but who knows what sort of unknown variable was in the area? It wasted effort and how long it would take before Martins calmed down was another unknown. Chasing after a fleeing animal rarely ended until either predator or prey became exhausted, after all. Though Kieran was certainly no slouch with his athleticism, he felt Eidolon had a bit of an unfair advantage with his prosthetic leg.

Calling Eidolon was another idea that could work, but the chances of it working were low. An unknown number calling you after running from someone you think is a vigilante? Yeah, okay. Not to mention that Eidolon probably wasn’t going to pick up a call in the middle of an escape either. No, there was a much simpler solution to all of this.

”Hey, Rach. Can you go tell your family you’re about to head out?” His face grew a percent more serious. "We're probably going to head over to the movies a little later though. For now..."

His lips moved, not to form a smile but a mischievous smirk.

"...let's go see if Ms. Martins is here, shall we?"

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun May 24, 2020 7:51 pm

~☀~

Eidolon ran.

Rachel almost moved to chase him. She didn't really think about what she'd do if she caught him - it wasn't like she was gonna, like, try to fucking fight him or anything. What'd he do to deserve getting pummeled, acting all awkward and showing her a photo? But on the other hand, she didn't really wanna talk to him, either. Just knowing he had her on camera made her uneasy, anxious, and it left her torn between wanting to get as far away from him as possible and wanting to follow him, smash his phone, and get rid of the evidence.

Not like the damage isn't already done. He prolly has backups, and fuck, even if he doesn't, he still knows - and as long as he knows, he can tell other people, and they can tell other people, and then god-fucking-forbid mom and dad find out and decide to fucking ground me or send me back to an alt school or -

A staying hand held her back, and Rachel blinked, the train of thought derailed, the tension - for the moment - stayed. Kieran glanced at her, and she glanced at him, a wordless exchange.

Stay here.

The chase was short-lived. Kieran only left for a moment, soon returning empty-handed. For a moment, the nervous thoughts returned, but Rachel pushed them down, grinning somewhat awkwardly.

"I, er, guess he got away?" she asked. Kieran's reply was answer enough. Another wave of tension, but something about his smirk, about the fact he very obviously wasn't losing his goddamn head like a fucking idiot moron, helped her keep her cool a little. Just a little.

"Mom - mom's prolly asleep, and dad's out. They already knew we - we were hanging out today, so I'm good, there." She rubbed at the back of her head, eyes turning to the house across the street. "Do you think she knows, too? Fuck, Kieran, if she knows, I'm dead. She's my mom's nurse. Fuck."

She drew a deep breath, and folded her arms.

"Yeah. Let's go do that. Yeah."

She followed Kieran to the neighboring house, hanging back slightly, waiting for him to knock.

~☀~

Eidolon

Post by Eidolon » Sun May 24, 2020 9:25 pm

In terms of purely talking to a girl, the situation had gone better than most prior experiences in his eclectic shitstorm of a life.

Maybe they'd suddenly fall down a flight of stairs and slam their heads off of the ground and get amnesia-- or, or, maybe they already had short-term memory loss. It was a low chance, sure, but statistically possible; luckily, Eidolon operated within that metric more often than not. To him, the college try was his go-to approach for most problems, and if it didn't work, well, he improvised. Or ran away. Both seemed to have a relatively similar success rate. Miraculously enough, he was currently doing both-- and, as far as he could tell, it'd worked. Whether or not there were repercussions was a problem for the road that lay ahead, and if he only possessed the attention span for a good five seconds into the immediate future, then was there really a problem at all?

Eidolon cut through another neighbor's yard and nearly fell into their pool in the process, eventually arriving at the back door of his family's estate and entering in with a hunched posture that screamed "suspicious teenager". Luckily, Juliana was preparing dinner in the kitchen, so she had a full view of him stepping in with grass stains all over his knees.

"What happened to you? Did you trip over a curb, again? I've told you, Eid, you have to actually watch where you're--"

DINGDONG.

Once again, his balls retreated into his chest cavity. Eidolon's gaze snapped to the door, eyes widened like he'd just been photographed with his dick out, and clenched his teeth.

"You've gotta be fucking--"

Shit. He came in too hard on the fuck, and it was his mom's turn to snap her gaze to him. Her eyes narrowed, and she pointed at him with her whisk.

"¿Que acabastes de decir, Eidolon?"

"Nothing, nothing. Didn't say anything. I'll get the door. Love you. Dinner looks delicious."

"Yeah, you better."

Slowly, he began to edge towards the door, approaching it with the same amount of caution one afforded a coiled snake. Juliana retreated back to the kitchen, which meant the largest object of his fear was now the two people behind the door.

"... was about to come down upon you like Teja in the Ruination. REAL superheroes don't swear, Eid! Remember that next time you do one of your blogs."

"They're VLOGS, MOM, AND I-- shit." Not worth it. His hand twisted the doorknob and opened the door to the sight of the two people he had just ran away from. He stared at them both for a moment, resignation plastered across his face. He blinked, once and then spoke.

"Leave the Amazon package by the mailbox, next time." A beat. "Oh? You're not here to deliver my boom arm? You're here to ruin my fuckin' life? Wonderful. My ma's making carne guisada. Come in."