Incursion: Final Examination [Closed]

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Incursion: Final Examination [Closed]

Post by illirica » Sun May 24, 2020 6:37 pm

Ryoko was already prepared to defend her the moment that Capacitor stepped through the portal, but they didn’t meet with immediate resistance, allowing the rest of the team to make it through and start scanning. She’d expected resistance, and it was easy enough to find it. She’d sent out a tiny ship to scout the shores, but what she found was an ocean, one that must seem boundless, infathomable - a sea of electricity, waiting to drown any cautious traveler who dared its waters.

Teja pulled back from it, and set a gentle hand on Mango’s shoulder, the smallest spark passing between them, a whisper only - but a whisper that made its way into the systems, systems she couldn’t help but be familiar with now, after her using them to search for Mana when she had been taken prisoner, and again after she had helped Mana fix her broken technology and her broken spirit.

The whisper was information, coded only for one who could read it through such a subtly intrinsic connection - an impulse to pull back, for Manaria to take herself out of the technological maelstrom, to focus on the macro-world and not the infinitesimal sparks of electrons.

The whisper was possession: Mine.

Step back.

I’ve got this.

Their adversary made an appearance - and a questionable one at that, in the robe and slippers of someone who hadn’t been expecting company. They’d managed that much, at least. His offer of hospitality threw her back in time to more than a year ago, when Volksgeist himself had deigned to appear on the Empyrean, seeking that the Society not interfere when he razed the world to bring back his lost love.

They’d played at courtesies, and then they’d played at war. For all this man’s attempts at playing the congenial host, there was only one sort of casualty that Capacitor thought was likely, when all was said and done.

Ryoko, as usual, proved the most direct, simply cutting through the subterfuge to state explicitly why they were there, a direction that wasn’t likely to work, but was worth the effort anyway. Mana, understandably, seemed a bit thrown off by the introduction, but rallied as best as she could.

>Oppositional technopath present. Nonlocal communications be advised.

A quick burst, as secure as she could make it, sent to Terminus alone. He could relay the signal to the others as he saw fit - she trusted his judgment. She didn’t want to let this opponent piggyback on their communications system in order to find the Dimension Tide group - although from the brief message she’d received, it seemed like that group was having issues of its own.

Capacitor couldn’t fix that right now - it would be up to the others to handle their own situations, just as it was up to her to handle this one. The best she could offer was a warning, in case it might help.

Despite the initial very clear opener from Ryoko, the arch mage apparently couldn’t resist putting in his own, meeting the casual tone and seemingly open to the invitation, which brought back some rather intense opinions on working with people who couldn’t follow directions. Being a professional, she kept them to herself in the interests of the team appearing cohesive. They needed to work together.

Capacitor released Mango’s shoulder, giving her a little nudge forward, where it would be easy for Ryoko to cover her.

If this person had any familiarity with what her abilities might be, it would be because he was familiar with Capacitor’s variant in this dimension - but she was not Revolt. She was Capacitor - she had built herself over the last year and a half without the government to rely on, channeling her skills and abilities with the same single-mindedness that had allowed her to accept them in the first place.

She had wielded the divine lightning of Erujaorn, she had touched the Titan-spark of Myrmidon. She had reached out to the void and filled it, a dead man’s heart beating beneath her fingertips. She was the God-damned lightning, and if his was the ocean, then hers was the hurricane, the lashing storm that absorbed the seas and cast them upon the shores.

He thought to blind her in the drowning deep - she dove in, for it was no exile, but a homecoming. The torrential shockwave crashed over her, and this time, she reached out and grabbed it, siphoning the energy into herself and herself alone - for what good was the energy to power a space station if one could not hold it in their hand?

Let his station become the tiny bobbing outpost in the waves, then. Let the lights flicker and the generators thrum in stuttering surprise, let the systems fail and spark, let the lightning coil around her in infinitesimally small chains of linked lightning, but let her contain it, for she was the creature made into myth, and this - this was her abyss.

She would be the sea-goddess, the siren, the kraken - the one to whom the sailors cast sacrifices in hopes that their ship may sail on - and if he wished to appease her, he would return that which was her own, which he had stolen from her. If he returned them promptly, she might not drag all he had down into the galvanized waters with her.

She was not here for a drink.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 pm

Superheroes. Typical. Did they even know how predictable this all sounded? Walk in, demand the children, fight the villain, go home and get off to their costumed butts getting close-ups on television. They didn't even take the drink, really, talk about lack of education. They weren't to blame, however, most heroes had no parents anyways. It impressed him that one of the four did take his invitation, which generated a pearly smile on his lips as he nodded, taking a glass for himself and nonchalantly sipping. Completely ignoring the angry bitch that mouthed off first as if she was no guest, he simply turned around and went back to the fridge. "Juice... Juice... A-ha! There it is!" His hand reached far back, grabbing a half-full box of OJ and pouring it in one of the last clean glasses he had before bringing it back to the kid. "There you go, kiddo. And don't worry, I'm already dressed for a fight." He stated seriously, gazing deeply into her eyes... Before interrupting the shitty menacing moment with a chortle.

"Oh, man, you guys..." He shook his head. "You guys are the best." Jake shook his head, looking back at the boisterous and needlessly rude woman. "Sure, I'll release the kids." Shrugging, he took another sip. "If you kill the other three that came with you. Fair trade, yeah?" Of course it wasn't, these were superheroes, they fucking saved everyone, beat the supreme evil guy and had enough time to fuck a fan from the crowd behind a McDonalds joint. "You see, he has the right idea." A single finger points towards the other man drinking whisky. "Don't need to suck my dick, but I appreciate you, bro. Name's Jake, by the way." He lifted his drink as if for a toast before turning his attention back to the lady who took the lead on the conversation. "I don't give a shit if you care, sweetie. It just seems you're lacking brain cells to read between the lines right now. Must be really nice to be so dumb you trick yourself into thinking you want the safety of others, and not just another excuse for violence." Then it begun, lights flickering, the whole ambient around him siphoned of it's usually irreprehensibly energetic atmosphere, a whirpool amidst the ocean, all originating in a single, quiescent spot behind all of them. In this wild

How rich, they thought they were people!

"Oooohhhh, scaryyyy." He pointed up and, immediately, all lights turned off, cut off from their currents, an accomplice to his curious guest. Then they all turned on, and the tug of war begun, while in one side this seemlessly endless bolt of energy seemed to not dwindle for too long, on the other side an equally infinite void made sure no matter how much electricity went into a single lightbulb, they would all eventually be drained of all, blinking in no particular order, even stronger than they had before, and then out at quite literally the same time. Indeed, this was a sea, an ocean of energy that she could drain as much as she wanted, hell, she could explode from all she absorbed for all he cared, but it was his ocean, no matter how much she would swallow for herself, he would at the very least show her the rules were not as normal as they should be. The air, so loaded with energy, would still be loaded regardless, it didn't matter how much she drained, it always felt as if more energy came from somewhere, slowly replenishing whatever was lost. After all, what was a lowly kraken in the kiddie's pool to the might of Poseidon himself?!

"Hi there. I was wondering why I had this feeling of deja vu." He downed the rest of his drink, putting the glass on the table and reaching for the bottle again. "Just like ours, always in control of everything, huh? Tell me, Teja, my dear, our Hector died because our you was too much of a controlling bitch. What about yours? Is Hector dying because of you the one multiversal constant?" Chargeman finished serving himself a drink. "Now, I'll dumb it down for you two ladies, so intent on picking a fight to forget the fact you failed the kids, not me. My objective here is to make sure you leave this place alive without the kids. Your objective here is to change mine. So, want to start over?" Waving towards the seats, he once more extended his hospitality for negotiations. That supercilious grin, though, it never seemed to leave his face.
Last edited by Kilroy on Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 am

"You done?"

Ryoko had allowed him an extra few seconds pause after he fell silent to throw any extra opinions or insights that he might've wanted to add to the end of that monologue before he forgot to later. Maybe if she had been lying, or were new to the whole long-winded verbal assault schick, she'd have had more of a response to his words.

Nothing had changed aside from the fact that she'd received her answer.

"If I wanted a fight, we'd be fighting. But I have no idea if I'd be able to kill you without endangering the lives of the kids. Or without you popping some killswitch that I'm unaware of."

As far as Ryoko knew, the kids were wearing bomb-collars. Or strapped into machines that would rip their spines out with one silent command. Or waiting in room set to jettison them into space at a moment's notice.

"There's no reason to fight until we reach an impasse. I'm well aware that you people are trying to save your own world, but I still don't understand why your crew decided to tear up our world for resources instead of just asking for help, first. Trying to save one's homeworld ain't a fucking sin."

Then again, maybe it was considered one in this backwards ass universe.

"I still don't know why the fuck you guys need children from our universe, but we've got more than enough techno-babble geniuses in our universe who could find a solution to the problem if you actually took a moment to ask them. And if you show them a little good will, I'm more than confident that they'd help you out. So here's the choice that I'm leaving for you, cuz it really don't matter to me."

She exhaled and leaned back in her chair. Hopefully, she'd find a reason to stay seated for more than approximately 10 seconds.

"Take two. I'll give you one chance. If you're actually open to negotiating, and aren't just stalling us, then tell us what it is that you guys need. Why it is that you feel the need to kidnap children. And we can try to work it out. If not well..."

She had to take a second to find her words.

"Then we can go ahead and get to the kicking your ass and bringing the kids home by force part. It's your choice, man, I'm just trying to do my job here."
Active Sandbox Characters: Ryoko/ Kore/ Mina

For all other characters, click here

Orange

Post by Orange » Mon May 25, 2020 7:43 am

Wizards truly did love to hear themselves talk and while everyone else was speaking for a moment it pained me to hold my tongue and in the case of Teja remain utterly silent. Not because I had to remain quiet it was because they had made the situation tense for no god damn reason the good news is that whiskey was a fantastic cure for a headache as I watched the robotic man give my teammates what might have been the greatest tongue lashing ever. I was spared only because I had approached this from the beginning as a negotiation that didn't mean that I supported what Jake had said merely the recognition that he held the cards.

I started to work on my glass of whiskey as Ryoko spoke again as much as I loved Ryoko's directness a negotiation couldn't be done that way. Well most of the time anyway... at least she seemed more open to negotiation this time. I raised two fingers to my temple and while I made it seem like I was trying rub through a headache I would cast telepathy and I would try to speak to my teammates without Jake knowing, "I know this isn't the best advice but accept the hospitality. He is not someone to be worried about take the whiskey, the soda, or even the god damn juice. Most of all do not be overtly hostile with his help the kids will be safely retrieved. Remember that he holds the advantage for now..." I would stop rubbing my temple removing the fingers from my head ending the spell before starting to get farther into my drink, "is there a headache whiskey can't solve?"

"So what is it that you wanted to talk about Jake?" I decided to take a gamble, "Do you want to know more about our world? Or is there something closer to home that you wanted to talk about?" I figured that we might be the topic of discussion considering our intrusion but whatever I could do to get this negotiation rolling. I just hoped to god Teja and Mana wouldn't react without thinking.

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Mon May 25, 2020 2:44 pm

Given the touch from Teja, an act that got a comforted smile from Mana she stopped reaching out with technopathy. The machines told her some of the war of electricity between the two people here best to just let them go at it. So instead Mana did what she could to secure her hold on her own cybernetics, connecting the mechanical responses to signals from the brain to reinforcing them with her technopathy and technopathy. This was her body and she wasn't going to have it at risk of that changing, she'd already played the hostage after all.

Her mind did still dedicate some efforts to reaching out through the base to find the minds of students or anyone else on board. Just to know what to be ready for or where to go.

Miss Teja was busy while everyone dipped into talking. "No you're not." The teen remarked to the comment of being dressed. A towel wasn't going to likely stay on in a fight and she really didn't want to deal with well all of what that entailed. The youthful cyborg took the juice though "thanks." She remarked with a chipper tone as she gave room for all the talking.

The guy started by saying he'd spare the kids if Ryoko killed them. Wasn't a fair trade though in Mana's eyes three was not equal to two, that was just math. Not that it was a deal she considered acceptable, from what Mana understood about the meeting she'd missed Bran was on his way to being a better person do to his apprentice. She wasn't sure how to feel about him but he had something to live for. The other two teammates were shining inspirations of who Mana wanted to kind of grow to be like, they're lives weren't on the table. Only one she considered acceptable was potentially her own, even that was a no though. A lot of great people got mad at her for thinking that way to extensively.

Jake's next words were less civil, insulting the dragon. Then waved aside the intentions, a thing that got servos to whir some as Mana's left fist balled up some. Then was salt thrower towards Capacitor, the cyborg did her best to hold onto the end of what Jake said though over the content between. A lot of the points raised by Ryoko sounded familiar, she could have sworn she'd said so much of the same thing to X. It felt reassuring, even if Mana doubted it'd make a dent in swaying the host. While she didn't mind Bran the telepathic message made her kind of wonder about him.

She had been going for the gosh darn juice, she wasn't trying to pick a fight. They had numbers, as well and even likely better gear. Even if it was just the odd divide of clothes and none, which she was so not comfortable with. She did what she could to just smile and not get to worked up. "Excuse me, but before those questions I'd like to say something."

She sipped the juice than began. "I don't know why you fight, but this isn't about that for me. I stopped most of the students from being taken during the attack on my school. Two I couldn't prevent though so I began working towards getting them back. Because unlike X I don't try to rewrite the screw ups I fix them. Thankfully I'm not alone. I'd be here though even if I was. Because Jake, I'm not here for a fight. But to fix my failures, then I'll start working on fixing yours." She made a gesture towards her suroundings at the last part. Though her tangerine eyes looked away after.

"Sorry that ended more passive aggressive than intended. Point is an accident made me a cyborg, that condition has worsened as a hero. I wouldn't change any of that though. Because I know fear and pain so I'll spare others such until it kills me." Who knew what the guy wanted to hear, Mana though wanted it known why she was here. Not for war but just to save those from her world, so she could then start trying to save this world and her own. It was a stupid amount of work for one girl to try and tackle, she'd come to accept who she was though. And on top of that history repeated itself enough to prove to the fiery bright eyed hero that she usually wasn't going at things by herself.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon May 25, 2020 7:38 pm

The ocean flowed into her, twisting in spirals. The lights grew were gone, but then returned again, the tributary flowing back in to flood the shores once more. Power, incumbent, rising. Could she devour it all? Had she been alone, perhaps she would have tried - but a glance to Manaria, and she relinquished her hold, the charge slipping back into the reserve at her back, SPEAR with all its waiting capacity, leaving the waters tranquil once more. Not a victory outright, but a respectable opening sally, a skirmish that had cost nothing and gained a bit of knowledge.

The man before them took the opportunity to make a commentary on the situation, casting aspersions as waves, to break upon the levees. Waves upon waves, words upon words, again and again and again and again. He spoke of the children in passing, but mostly he spoke of them, her people that had appeared before them, wasting no time in getting to the derogatory and outright vulgar.

So. Their opponent was technological, antithetical, reprehensible, and a combination of personality traits that mistook power for eloquence. The speech he gave them was more to lord over how much better he was than them than anything else, and his pointing out of their shortcomings was only in the interest of improving his own ego rather than any rational or tactical design. In one extended pitch, he’d already let them know his interest in the students was merely passing - they were nothing to him but a way to acquire more toys, as he’d grown bored of the ones already in his possession like a spoiled child. His chosen attire was similarly designed to provoke, a short digression into how far above them he was that he could greet them in his slippers and still think himself at the advantage.

Teja smiled, all tension easing. It was nice to be on familiar ground.

Thunder clapped - no, it was just her. Thrice, and once more for good measure - short, sharp, sarcastic. “Brilliant monologue. Excellent delivery. The set-up, fantastic. Costuming and everything. You must have been preparing for that for weeks. A good effort, all around. Unfortunately... it turns out I don’t negotiate with terrorists. So. If you’d like to negotiate, the first step would be not being a terrorist. The students who were kidnapped are old enough to have a say in their own fate, I think. Bring them here, and we’ll have a discussion together, including them.”

For all that he was so smug about his possession of the students, they hadn’t seen them yet, and what sort of condition those kids were in might be a major determinant in how this ended up going. As with Ryoko, Capacitor wasn’t quite ready to throw caution entirely to the wind - but also as with Ryoko, she didn’t think that this was going to be so easily resolved by a short question and answer session.

Of all the things he’d said about her, most of them passed away with ease - she’d certainly heard worse, and from better people. One phrase, though, tugged at her consciousness, an uncertain stone troubling the waters:

“Our Hector died because our you was too much-”

So he claimed, and yet... and yet. Hector Williams was killed by Volksgeist at Krakatoa. It's why she hates the Eldest. She said that. Except according to Terminus, the Tide strike team was divided, and it didn’t take a genius to figure out that it probably wasn’t Maximum Man causing the issues.

And yet, she’d said... No. She hadn't. She'd said was responsible for and any number of other things, but it occurred to her that Revolt had never actually said, outright, that Volksgeist had killed him. Not directly. She'd... strongly implied it, without actually saying it in exactly those words, so that no one could call her out on it if something contradictory came up. It was exactly the same game Capacitor had played with the seemingly endless streams of journalists back when she'd been in the military.

Of course, the source here was hardly trustworthy. Then again... some things were easy to corroborate, weren't they? They weren't in a different dimension any more - they were in this one, with access to all its resources. She slipped a secure comm line open, again only to Terminus - not a direct comment, just a general audio pickup. Only for a moment - one question, perhaps one answer. If anyone deserved to know, it was Nick.

"There’s one more question I’d like an answer to. Call it a token of good faith. How - and when did Hector Williams die?"

For all that she asked for the answer, the answer didn’t matter in the slightest. The only thing that mattered was that the question was being asked - and that Nicolas Pendragon knew that it should be.

“Ah, but... never mind. This wasn’t a negotiation yet, was it? Perhaps you can answer that question for me later. Hector wouldn’t want me putting his past ahead of anyone else’s future.” Or in front of his own future, but that was... his own battle to fight, if only he could recover enough to fight it.

Her battle was a different one: here, and now. “Which is it going to be? The students, or the war?”

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Playing the supervillain role with his monologues truly did achieve results, hell, antagonizing these people was the most fun he had had in years and it really showed by how much effort he put on making sure they despised him just as much as they despised those kids, only truly wanting to get it over it, to go home and take a dump while reading the newspapers. If they deserved it or not, that would be entirely up to who judged the situation, but having compliance rather than combativeness felt good, even if he had some control over the situation, even if he knew they would never bend their knees, those variables were what made it the most exciting.

For that, he chuckled. "You guys are funny. I love it." A single gloved finger ran through his chin, skin folded underneath a smile as his eyes rested on Teja. No, not his. But Teja nonetheless. What a fantastic reunion! What an electrifying presence! What a benevolent lack of comprehension! "You see, that's why the kids are better off with me. You still don't get it, or don't want to get it." He opened his arms. "Believe me, honey, I really wish I could give you these kids. Oh, from the bottom of my heart I do." A single hand undoes the knots tying his robe tightly together, and beneath it, there were no clothes, no skin, only metal plates and a shining red light. "But there isn't one anymore. Accidents, am I right?" He nodded at the younger one. "And, you see, Teja. The kids don't have a want right now. Neither does Hector, and you made sure of that. I wasn't there, but word is watching the agony in his eyes was really horrible." A shrug. "Now, Biggus Dickus, hugest member in the room, I am sure Timmy and Tommy's parents" As he ranted on, a single finger did a circular motion on thin air, and as a dog performing tricks the monitor on his table rotated, revealing the two kids, unconscious and attached to two pods. "Would be ecstatic to hear how their kids died because of your selfishness. Then again, we both know that's just how you roll."

Jake sat on his own chair now, crossing legs above the wooden table, those large, metallic limbs as cold as the tension in the room, which was broken once more by his laughter. "So, here is the situation. This here is live feed of their whereabouts in this station. Those two are pods that will launch them to outer space as soon as I sense tampering or someone breaks this negotiation's pacifism. I don't know which one of you can play around with machines, but I do have my guesses. So if you want to make sure it's live feed and that these threats are as real as it gets, be my guest." And at that moment, almost as if a minor door opened in the midst of turmoil, their technopath would be invited in for the proof of his words, of how necessary Chargeman was for all of this. The video was perfectly stable and transmitted with little to no delay, and the pods... Their files were far more recent, crafted in such rushed fashion it showed on the very coding, almost as if they had been improvised, made out of something that was never supposed to hold these children to quite possibly threaten their lives. His presence was always there, though, always lingering, always erecting unsurmountable barriers if his information wasn't enough to convince the technopath and they decided to probe a little further. "Now, I don't mean to brag, but 90 seconds before they boil alive while you have to worry about me too? I'd take my odds of talking it out."

Now his eyes focused back to the three who were more keen on chatting and basically understood the matter at hand, not to say he utterly agreed with their approach, yet he could at least respect it, all the while entirely ignoring Teja's retorts or even presence. He had to put little kids on the time-out zone, and if she so wished to add a bigger death toll to her back? Well, he already had given all warnings he could. "Why I fight. What I want to know. Why does X or Knight or anyone else do anything in this godforsaken world. Really, all good questions. I don't fight, I'm important here so I didn't get the chance to cross over to your dimension, or maybe they just know if I did, I wouldn't ever come back. You see, you're all so keen on helping 'us', on extending your hands to 'us', but, how can I put it in a way you'll understand..." His visage turned contemplative for a moment. "I don't give a shit. You wanna talk to them about it, be my guest. Kids, no kids, invasion, no invasion. This right here is what happens when heroes walk in to a situation they have no fucking idea about and act as if they are hot shit. Three billion people die. Boo-hoo. So if you want to negotiate terms with them and ask them about their crazy shenanigans, you totally can! But, right now, you're not negotiating with our 'earth', you're negotiating with me, and I'm bored out of my goddamn mind."

Silence.

A sigh.

"Do you understand how fucking boring this place gets? I could drop this whole fucking station on a city and kill a shitton of people, and it would change absolutely nothing. I've showed my offer and I've said my piece. What's yours?"

Orange

Post by Orange » Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 pm

Teja wasn't making this any easier for me I wanted to yell at her tell her to go to the planet and get out of my way. But if a fight did break out then I would need her help I didn't know how the race to the kids would go and I needed all the help I could get. As Jake went on another monologue once again tearing into Teja and explaining his position I would finish my whiskey and place the empty glass back on the table. I realized that Jake couldn't be bribed with power or even money.

Power wouldn't work... while he took some amount of pleasure in tearing my teammates apart it wasn't about the situation necessarily sure he held the kids. But this was a tit for tat response the more hostile we were the worse this got. Maybe he would get tired of our bullshit eventually but right now he was enjoying this. Not to mention he could crash this station into the planet and even admitted to his important position he had all the power he needed. This situation was just icing on the cake for him.

He didn't need money obviously at least that's what I thought. He would have no use for money up here in space it's not like he was taking weekly trips down to the planet either. I could summon all the gold he would ever want and we'd still be no closer. What I saw was difficult but with the way, he treated us it made me question a bit of the persona. Did he enjoy me as an audience member did he revel in the fact that we were here?

"I'll be honest with you Jake I don't take threats against kids very well," I scowled at him trying to learn more about the soul beneath the machine."You have everything you could seemingly want up here. But I think you don't want our help not that we've offered any as of yet. I don't know if we have but I agree people who go out of their way to call themselves heroes might have an ego problem," I looked at my teammates, "no offense. Honestly I barely know Mana and Teja. Ryoko I would consider a friend. Hero to me sounds like a fancy way of putting yourself above others you have the power and authority look at how I use it." I stopped myself before I went off on a tangent, "I'm not a hero I've done plenty of wrong in my life to excuse me from ever gaining such a "lofty" title."

"Jake I don't think you're looking for someone to save or help you. How long have you been up here?" Boredom is what he called it. On our way through to this room, there wasn't anyone else. No guards or workers were attending to the everyday needs of this structure on our way. There had so far been no appearance of a pet or some other creature. Besides us the only evidence of life was him and the kids.

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Mon May 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Ryoko fell silent for a moment after Jake finished stating his offer. He had a tell that confirmed her suspicions about a killswitch, but finding out that she was spot on was admittedly a bit surprising. And as for his desire, well... it was probably the hardest request to fill. Why?

Entertainment was about as subjective as art.

Boredom was the disease that they needed to treat if they had any hopes of saving the kids, and excitement- fun- was the only cure. The fact that he hadn't bothered to offer a more concrete solution to his problem wasn't particularly surprising to her, either, when you considered that fact that boredom was often the result of a lack of creativity. And, as she began to seriously consider how to navigate this precarious situation, Ryoko couldn't help but to-

Hahahahahahahahahaha

This wasn't a negotiation, this was gambling. The chances of them going home alive almost certain, sure, but the likelihood of them successfully completing the mission were almost nil; especially when you considered that they were on a timer. In 90 seconds, if the kids weren't released, they'd all lose. The rescue team would no longer have hostages to bring home and Jake wouldn't have any leverage to keep them as docile as they had been.

And, clearly, this nihilist knew that.

"Fuck all this talking!" They didn't have time for another long-winded conversation, "Alright, Jake. I'm not going to waste my time fighting you. But I am going to make you sweat. You want some excitement? Fine. Let's play a quick game of tag."

Emphasis on quick.

She'd have to thank Garrick for the idea later. Or, rather, for giving her a reason to think it up in the first place. Something to get his heart pumping that didn't require any extra equipment or preparation that might've wasted extra time. And it would be much easier to land a finger on him in 90 seconds than it would to outright kill him if he was truly competent in battle. And, honestly, they didn't even need to win the game.

They just needed to cure his boredom, right?

"Everyone here's it, but you, Jake. You game?"

With no time to waste, Ryoko rolled her dice.
Active Sandbox Characters: Ryoko/ Kore/ Mina

For all other characters, click here

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Tue May 26, 2020 12:54 am

It was Teja's turn to speak and it was a little surprising in just how sarcastic it was. Not that Mana was complaining she just hadn't expected it. She liked the idea behind it though even more, show the students. Let them know they were okay. It was a touchy subject but so far everyone seemed to be holding any aggression in, there was room to talk. Jake was soon going to fix such a situation however.

Mana sipped her juice and did her best to lean on the meditation some she had picked up on from Jackal and Niku. Just let the words come, don't get riled up. That was hard however when he said the students were better here. Not with friends or family, not in their home town not even in their home dimension. A comment on how he didn't have a heart, for which Mana wanted to feel bad. She was getting strong "don't feel bad" for him vibes however. Then came mention how the students had no want now, which confirmed why their signal was kind of weak telepathically. They were alive but out of cognitive function. Then with some flavorful insults he then just dubbed them Timmy and Tommy.

Fact they were Jordan, and Alfonse didn't matter. The young woman who was a speedster, the guy who was able to manipulate plant life. The fact they both had boyfriends and family members nothing of substance to these people.

A brief dip into the technology confirmed the feed was genuine, Mana also with one hand sipping on the juice raised her other in regards to technopathy. It wasn't exactly a secretive thing, they probably could compete for number of metal parts attached to them it seemed. His colors began to really show near the end. Those alive or dead, those who came over or were born here inconsequential to his self worth. Bran would be the first it seemed to respond to the host.

It started out fine, seemed to care about those taken. Then he acted like nobody was offering help to Jake.

She had just said once she fixed her shortcomings with the classmates of hers she wanted to help the people here. Bran didn't listen. Called heroes people with an ego problem.

When Mana first met Bran it was when she had a limp arm. One she had to amputate and take a full prosthetic of. Because even if someone didn't listen to what the cyborg said they could see she gave up parts of herself to protect others. She was here saying she was going to take hits so others didn't have to, her body a testimony to that. He said heroes just lorded over people. He said no offense as a way to try and mask the smell of everything being thrown her way. That was how the young woman saw it, and sideways thoughts began to sink into her mind.

Ryoko was next to speak up. Hers was surprisingly brief though, it seemed as if the comment of ninety seconds had been taken as a literal timer. The machines on board open to her said that wasn't the case though. "You two are a match in heaven." Specifically in the sense that she didn't like either of them at the moment. One who didn't care it seemed about anyone, and the other who seemed so jaded they tuned out the world to hear what they wanted. "I like the chase idea but you tell us what do you want?" Though she was in favor of a chase or fight she did her best to shove those feelings down. Frustrating as this was her feelings weren't what mattered here. The lives of Jordan and Alfonse was.