Who Would've Thought...[Closed]

Roleplay locations.
Ryoko

Re: Who Would've Thought...[Closed]

Post by Ryoko » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:29 am

Out of respect for Septimus, Ryoko took her time.

And she listened to every word of his story. And she tried to find meaning in it all. And a lengthy, deliberate silence followed his speech. It was hard not to notice just how vague his words were, or how disruptive his avoidant speech was. A whole lot of "them" and "they"s with no actual names. Ironic given how much hatred he seemed to bare for those who he would not name. Almost like he was going out of his to... protect sinner, for some reason.

Eventually, when she felt she had found her words, she started speaking.

"I can't tell you if the world will ever get better. I'm a hunter, not a prophet. But I can tell you that the only way to make it better is by doing something, and not locking yourself away and hiding from reality. That is what you're doing down here, isn't it?"

He might've been dressed differently but, in her eyes, he wasn't any different from any of the... donors lying around in his den. Maybe he was before he gave in to gluttony but, at that moment, he was just as disconnected from the world as the hallucinating livestock rolling around in their own sweat and blood.

"You look at me like I'm here to punish you, you know that? It might feel that way, given my entrance, but I'm not. I'm well aware of the antagonist relationship that our kinds have shared, what your instincts probably say to you when I draw near, but it's not like that anymore. I can't condone violence or killing without suitable justification, but I do believe in punishing the wicked. I thought you did, too, given what you told me before. And, that's kind of what's confusing me here, Septimus."

At first, Ryoko thought that she had missed something somewhere in his speech. But... the more she replayed his words in her mind, the more... confused she got. Septimus' actions were uncharacteristically illogical, and it wasn't his decision to hide away in the basement that made her feel that way.

"Do you... not know who killed your friend?" the confusion on her face was blatantly obvious as she spoke, "Because you're going out of your way to keep it a secret from me, your family upstairs, and I'm guessing the whole world. And, unless you don't know who did it, I don't understand why you would do that. I'm not going to sit here and tell you to murder people, but you should let the world know about your friend's death, right? At the very least, those who care about justice will help you seek it and... maybe not avenge your friend, but make the world just a little bit better."

"That's what you want, right? A better world?"

"But... sitting down here and stewing over it fails to make the world better, it fails to make you happy, and it fails to honor your friend. So, talk to people. Talk to me. And, if you can't tell me who it is that hurt you, then you can at least tell me why you... can't tell me."

Some might've found it annoying, but Ryoko just wasn't the type to commiserate with people. It felt like stagnation, inhibition, everything that the livestock down here were guilty of. And, even if Septimus hated her prodding at him to get moving, she felt better doing that then making him feel like anything that he was currently doing was even remotely acceptable.

"Okay?"
Active Sandbox Characters: Ryoko/ Kore/ Mina

For all other characters, click here

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:34 am

"As though I can ever forget his name."

And yet still he did not speak it.

"I watched him do it. I have footage. The image remains seared onto my eyelids. Replaying over and over again. I sit here and I wonder of the shit storm exposing this one monster may or may not generate. Things used to be so simple."

It was as though when Ryoko entered the room and began to speak to him -- his mind began to truly move. It clicked that telling her could incriminate Assurance. And entangle her in this mess he found himself tossed into by the tides of fate.

He wondered if the fact that he was considering her convenience meant something. She was persistent. And if she had wanted to kill him she'd obviously have done it already. For all the woman called herself a Hunter.

"You were wrong on one thing. I am a Hunter. He rises from the bed. "A killer." A step forward. "A destroyer." Another step forward. "I wipe monsters off the face of the earth. Render theme extinct if need be. " He stood before her now. The heat of her presence made his nostrils flare. Each word she spoke outlining her internal organs and displaying. He tuned it out. And only heard her words. Despair beneath his hateful glare still holding him in his crutches. Instinct drove him to fear before the fire he could within the woman. The mere mental image formed by enhanced senses making want to flee. Hands shuddering. Resisting the urge to move away from her like resisting the urge to blink. A glimpse into what he experienced nearly ever day when the beast began gnawing at his skull to do one thing or another. Be it fight, feed or flee.

Yet there he stood. A part of him wishing to see how she responded.

"No matter the form they they take. Those bound by their nature one way or another. Be it choice. Genetics. Madness." It hardly ever mattered. He was a hunter which culled the population of rodents and predators which would otherwise. That which he hunted would prey upon humanity and lacked the multifaceted nature of other beings.

A silence accompanied. These thoughts rang through his mind. They always had. It was nothing new. But the dragon's presence made him wish to say something else.

Why?

"I do this to make the world a safer place. A place of meaning. And to sustain my putrid life. I am no hero. Not like you."
"I have come to the realization that you are not a soldier, and you never have been."

I know what I am.

He turns away. His distance from Ryoko now something more comfortable.

"I could drink an ocean. Ever hungry. Voracious. In the past I took just enough blood to get by. Recently, enough to be comfortable. A pint a day. And now, see me here."

He motions to the many people in the room, who look but quickly avert their eyes. "I grow weary of starving. I grow weary of this weakness. I grow weary of the day. I grow weary of making the wrong choices." Though he has been here for some time. Longer than he had originally intended.

I could have saved her. I could have saved Sitri. Yelled at Hammerlock to turn on the switch. Now she is dead. And so is Jaeger.

"However I am also a man as well. And as any right minded man, I grow vengeful when something dear is taken from me. When I am so greatly wronged."

Why am I here?

He looks down at the people in the room. And growl a command.

"Leave."

Across the house Charles nearly spilled his tea as though he'd just heard a ghost. The house shuddered ever so slightly. The light flickers. And the voice permeates the very bones of all those present. The light flickers into darkness. The only light pouring into the room being that which was out the door. One which everyone in the room spare Ryoko seemed to rather quickly pursue. With the exception of the girl at the door. Who calmly but uncomfortable departed. Each one finding other rooms within the basement to inhabit.

When the light was back on the two were alone. With Septimus standing in the dark. The entire upper portion of his body wreath in the shadows of the room spare two pale blue eyes. The rest of his pale skin the same color as the dark.

"How much can I trust you, Ryoko?"

He asks of the person who he had shared tea with with only but once. What was willing to do? How far would she go? How much could he tell her?

Would she be capable of doing anything at all?
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:02 am

Ryoko nodded to herself at that moment.

Alone with Septimus there in that basement, she couldn't feel his pain but she could understand it. And despite his caution, paranoia, and rage, Ryoko felt hope in that situation. Little things, here and there, that she noticed as she hammered away at the barriers he had erected to separate himself from the world. Without threatening him in the slightest, she had gotten him to open up about his tragedy. The blood donors that he had used to as a drug to escape his reality had been sent away. Even his choice of words was somewhat telling.

How had he put it?

"How much can I trust you, Ryoko?"

She had already earned some of his trust. And if she wanted to help him progress, to see him advance, she needed to earn more. She could have easily told him anything in the world at that moment that he wanted to hear, but a moment of victory wasn't worth the tragedy of a lie that would follow it in due time. She's already seen more than enough tragedy to allow herself to fall into that kind of reckless thought. So she'd answer his question as honestly as she could.

"You know, I could be anywhere I want today, Septimus. I finished my work a half-hour ago and chose to come here because I wanted to help out a friend when I heard that he had hit an all-time low. I didn't expect for this to be a pleasant visit, but I wouldn't be worth a shit as a friend if I only wanted to see you on the good days, would I?" she ran a hand down the back of her neck, "So... how much can you trust me?"

Her spirit clashed with his on some level, even if her actions were done on his behalf. She was willing to lend him support, both in his pursuit of purpose and retribution to an extent. But she couldn't condone wicked acts, even with everything that he had gone through.

"I won't lie to you and say that I'd do anything to help you. That just isn't true. But I came here to help you and I meant that. I'm not going to stand by your side while you rampage and murder out of nothing but vengeance, but I have no problem fighting alongside you to expose the wicked and have them punished. I'm perfectly fine with that,"There would be no confusion on her stance on that, "But I can assure you that whatever's said down here, in confidence, stays down here. There's no reason to lie to me. If you can keep yourself from drowning in wrath, I'm with you. But, if I have to wash my hands of this when I walk away, then so be it."

She extended a hand for Septimus to shake. Her words probably weren't words that he wanted to hear, but they were words that he could count on.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:19 am

The stillness which the vampire stared at the dragon, he could have been mistaken for the a statue. The motion of breathing was absent. The numbness wrought about by despair made it all too easy to stifle any emotion he might have been feeling. They eyes no longer spoke of anything beyond what could vaguely gauged as judgement. And as she had listened to him, he listen to her. Not once did he speak or react to anything that she had said. Only peered at her from the darkness which had all but welcomed half his body and concealed him entirely.

It was only when she moved that he moved. Slowly but assuredly he stepped into the light. Most notion of pride and esteem which would have erected any barrier. There was nothing within him to make Ryoko out into an enemy. It was a problem born of powerlessness and mistakes. The only enemy here was himself. His own inadequacy.

I have little to lose.

And so he reached out with no hesitation. His hand gripping into her own. Trembling at first -- he gripped her hand hard that his fingers would have made holes in an atlas stone. And then he shook her hand.

Her attempts to get in having slowly chipped away at a will which wasn't there yet. Which waited and wait...for something he did not know. Something he did not think of. Until now when forced to.

"Very well." He says, straightforwardly. He saw no point in resistance. And eerie calm approached him as he spoke. Pain which would have wrought him in revisiting memories existed no longer. You could only flay your own mind so much before the all too familiar pain became customary. Ryoko was an outsider. But this came from within.

"His name is Augustus. The first citizen. Killer of one Sitri Slyker. Friend. Lovers. Former rival. Co-worker. So on and so forth." That wrought about something new. Really, he never actually talked about his relationship with Sitri. There was no need for words between them. And the rather isolated pair drew little attention. They simply were.

"I am sure you have heard of Augustus. He is a synthetic life form, drafted from the same species as Surgath. A titan named Myrmidon. He served Assurance designed from the ground up to be superhero. They even constructed a grey hulking monster with Esoterium claws. They set it loose of Chicago to engage the SOS. Only for the creature to be toppled by Augustus in what amounted to a dangerous PR stunt. A ruse to show off their new weapon made to rival the up and coming superhero teams. Though he had no choice, he seemingly did not wish to do anything else. In his own words, he would have gladly been a great hero should we only ask. But the fact that he had a surgical device implanted in his cortex which was made to restrain him seemingly brought him great distress." He spoke with a venom. Passive but straightforward.

"After his death at the hands of Surgath. He returned to Sitri's office. Then he threatened her to either yield to him and suck his cock. Or die. She walked up to, sat in his lap to bring him very great discomfort. To spite him. And then he ripped her spine out after which she uttered her last words..."

A pause.

"To him." As he wept like a fucking child."
"...Try to... be good."

"Try to be good..." He echoed.

His eyes became absent for a moment. He wasn't in his house. Ryoko wasn't here. He was in an elevator on his way to confront Augustus. Watching as Sitri was yanked by the hair. Threatened. And then killed. There is a moment of silence. And then Septimus kept speaking no indication on his cold expression indicating anything at all. Words came with no sign of stutter. An almost eerie clarity.

"We fought. It was irrational. Stupid. I was angry. Blinded by rage. And grief. My leader Hammerlock, incompetent. Stupid. And unable to react to the changing circumstances. In tandem we both failed. We stood no chance in a hand-to-hand confrontation. During all this a man by the name of Jaeger attempted to save Sitri. Jumping out the window. And eventually getting her to a hospital. All the while we hammered away at him before realizing we couldn't just beat up the only made who managed to make Surgath physically bleed with only his bare fists. But by some miracle of god we survived. I disrupted his mind. He was shot with an orbital artillery round. And then was beaten by a man who mimicked his powers. Then captured."

The information was incriminating.

"Now he awaits judgement. And given his motivations and our CEO's own passions, I am sure he will be acquitted of all charges. She wished to talk to him. Something which from my personal perspective is a monster that should have killed. Like a rabid dog."

A wild dog who attacked a mere PR representative rather than the heads of the entity that oppressed him.

"Meanwhile. The man who attempted to save Sitri only delayed her death. Then he died himself. I myself have been deemed a grieving lover who acted irrationally in the field despite my commander's admitted incompetence and unlawful orders of holding back on a titan. And I am demoted be the CEO's silent body guard and lackey. Condemned to silence. I and all Assurance affiliates am denied the ability to attend Sitri's funeral per request of her own mother. There exists the slight chance that Augustus, with nowhere to go, will simply return to Assurance to be used once more. And I must tolerate the fact that I am likely nearly incapable of killing him. Even the device we used on him proved less effective than we anticipated. His abilities enable him to adapt and grow in response to stimuli. I wouldn't even doubt that one day he will grow immune to the device. And then no matter how many heroes there are to exterminate such a threat, there will be people who are forced to suck Augustus' dick in mass."

And now something else.

"I visited her in the hospital. I made Sitri a promise. Before she died. I promised her to be good. She, had tasted human flesh once. She had tasted human flesh and drank blood. Fed on negativity. She was a demon and a nephillim. And a powerful one. She could twist at reality with her words. And then she just...gave it all away. I don't want do anything which would cause her strife. If she does watch from the heavens...but I don't know how to be good. It feels only just that I ripe the company asunder. Destroy the thing which breeds monsters. That which sets a dangerous precedent of what is allowed and what is not. I cannot allow such evil to fester and grow within something so powerful. Is it not righteous to destroy them? They who endanger lives? Who will use any means to elevate themselves and teach the world that normal people people like Sitri don't matter? To expose them for what they are and then open them up to be attacked. To be torn asunder until there is nothing left?"

There is a weight in his words. Almost as though he realized that in his bloody quest so many more like Sitri would probably die. Not any that he would like. Necessary sacrifices. Just like...

Just like them. Isn't it.

" To evacuate their armories as I know them and then blow them up. To hunt down each and every person who approved this and mount their heads on pikes. I. Don't. Know."

He found himself looking down. Everything laid bare. Upon himself. He held up a drive.

"Axiom gave me this. It has information on their meta-human projects and facilities. A fraction of their sins. Ones have endangered. And now killed. That which world does not know. I think I understand why he gave up on such a revolting world as this. He also failed." A thought which oddly didn't shake him. There were time in Septimus' life were death seemed a pleasant alternative. But he'd long made a promise to one before even Sitri and Sophie to place some value on it.

I don't....I don't know what to do otherwise. I don't know what to do beyond destroy, Ryoko.

There it was. The truth in it's entirety. Laid bare for her to see. All that consumed him. Now...release unto her. The one standing in front of him who probably would have tried to kill him on sight had she been around during the dark ages.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Vas, The Shadow Man
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:14 pm

"Well..."

Ryoko brought a closed fist up to her chin in thought. Her left eyebrow slowly rose as a smile slowly crept across her lips.

"... then why don't we Discipline and Educate?"

Maybe it was his rage driving him to such extremes of logic, but Ryoko didn't see the need to pursue absolute destruction, here. Given everything that he had said, Assurance's weak point was its reputation with the public. And, in his hands, he held the most potent poison for a corporation that depended on public support for funding and authority. Why that necessitated the company's demise?

She wasn't sure.

"I think that you should speak, Septimus. Not on camera, but in front of the people. The public. And you release that data, sure, but you tell them. With your own words. You're an employee of Assurance. You've fought alongside them every time a disaster broke out recently, haven't you? Your words will have far more power than any anonymous information leak ever will."

Anyone could forge information in this day and age. Hackers were commonplace; surely there were a few who could invade Assurance databases and plant incriminating data. But a public reputation for "branded" heroism and history with the corporation that you intended to speak about weren't things that could be forged or faked.

"I don't even think you'd really need to worry about them retaliating. If their PR is what they're worried about, then they won't lash out against the person exposing them," she paused and gave that a bit more thought, "Or, well, not with violence, anyway. And, even if they do, I'll watch your back. All you'd really need to do is be honest and pay attention. Because Assurance will have two choices from that point on."

She raised two fingers on her right hand.

"Either they admit to their mistakes, apologize, and make an honest effort to do better after the damage is done, or they deny their sins, strike out against anyone who opposes them, continue to unleash monsters unto the world and truly become a cancer in the city. If the former happens, then we support them in their efforts to improve." She curled her two fingers and raised her newly clenched fist, "If the latter happens, then we dismantle them. But... you have to keep in mind that the former is an option for them. And that Assurance does do some good, for all it's... copious evils."

That fist turned towards Septimus, an index finger extending towards his center.

"And you have to give them the chance to improve if that's the route they choose to take. Be prepared to go to war, but don't allow the expectation of war to cloud your judgment. Let's honor your friend by making the world a better place, not by spilling blood. Oh, and as for this Augustus guy?" she curled her right arm, flexed, and slapped her adamantine biceps with enough force to fool Charles, upstairs, into thinking that an earthquake had just started in the city, "If his claim to fame is making Surgath bleed, then just let me deal with him if it comes to that. He's not the only person to put that purple tyrant through hell."

Ryoko wouldn't try to cure Septimus' malaise by trying to distract him from it, convincing him that everything was okay or doing anything quite so flippant as that. No, she'd give him facts, ideas, plans, and some hope for improvement. She'd lend him her strength if he needed, much like she did anyone if she thought that that strength could be put to good use. Ultimately, though, it was all on him.

It was his future, and it was his name that carried power to give his words and his information weight.

"Up to you though, Septimus. Only you can make it happen."

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:42 pm

If there was anything that he felt sure of, even in this state, it was in knowing Assurance.

"I wouldn't be so sure. Magister seems the warmongering type. Kismet the diplomat. But the Magister owns the ASF. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries something."

His fist clenched now. The men of Assurance weren't men to him anymore. Much like the wall of innocent mind controlled people doomed to be called upon by Jean Gravesend, they were meatshields between him and a dangerous. Between him and the lies. And if they were instruments of more than likely the Magister's will. Then so be it.
The most eerie part of this was the fantasies he had of enjoying it. Of wanting to being what Ryoko and he himself feared.

A shudder rang through the house. Ryoko slapped her bicep and for a brief moment things shook. A book falls from it' case only to get caught instinctively by Septimus -- who then gently puts the book back in it's proper place. He then flickers across the room to get back to Ryoko in a single step.

"He'll probably send drones anyway. He seems to have something of a fetish for them." Septimus had thought very much of how he would approach them. Of all their strengths and weaknesses. Where to hit. "Men most men would be admittedly easier to deal with. Bar the skulls. But your presence at least might minimize casualty." A part of him almost wished that they would try something. That the power he'd accumulated would be put to some use. But with Ryoko, things changed. He'd more room for leniency. For mercy.

To be good.

A sigh. It was easy to forget Assurance had done good. And yet they had gone too far. Become too corrupt. Too arrogant. Thinking itself above the common man. That they'd no obligation to be moral. Yet there lie hope in Kismet at least. Who had some interest in being something sustainable and helpful. Even if she ultimately was the one who let Augustus go.

She too, must beaten with the rest of them.

"I will give them a chance. Despite having given them many. A beating for now."

I will need to prepare.

His eyes looked to his Bastard Blade. Broken in two by Augustus' own godlike strength. And then his eyes went over to the ceremonial sized Boddel. The older blade. One worthy killing more so metahumans and slicing through tanks than for actual people. A sword he hasn't used in approximately a year. A bloodthirsty blade he'd left behind.

I need a new sword.

There was also the matter of Charleston. Though the man had long said he didn't mind the thought of being targeted. Accommodations may very well have to be made. Particularly living quarters. But Septimus himself was a phantom capable of disappearing off the face of the earth and reappearing at will wherever necessary. With no record of birth. Nothing to his name. And yet a near endless amount of money to dip into using his shadow bank. The resources and surveillance of the modern world did not frighten him.

Though he had grown used to not needing to hide, as much.

He'd come to terms with going back to what he was. At least part way. To lose the power he had once in commanding an army. In leading men to fight for themselves rather than to wait to be saved.

"Regardless, I hope something better comes of this eventually. Assurance or not."

They company was not the first of it's kind. And hopefully it would not be the last.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Vas, The Shadow Man
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 pm

A part of her wanted to go ahead and tell Septimus that something good had already come of this. That a broken man with no hope and no drive had found a reason to stand, toss aside his vices, and make an effort to improve things. But she knew that Septimus wasn't interested in hearing any of that. So, she simply smiled and shook her head.

"Before we get ahead of ourselves, there's one other thing. I don't know if it's even been on your mind recently... but do you have any idea how you're doing with sunlight at the moment?"

Somewhere along there, during their reconvening, the primary concern that had driven Ryoko to force her way into the vampire's underground bunker had gotten pushed aside by Septimus' pain and rage. But it never actually went away. She was happy that man had a fire in his eyes again, but it wasn't like that was a detail that either of them could just up and ignore.

She also wasn't about to let him walk out of this place without taking it into consideration.

"I know you said that fasting was what allowed you to do it in the first place, so..." Septimus knew what he had been doing. What he was still doing when she first walked into the room, "I had Charles shut all of the blinds in the house just in case, so don't worry. Actually, give me one sec."

She walked past Septimus and disappeared up the stairs. Even if he couldn't see her, he'd be able to hear her footsteps moving through a few of the halls. Soon, they lead back to the basement entrance and her head poked out just far enough for him to meet her eyes from the center of the room.

"You wanna maybe get outta this basement? We can open one of these blinds just enough to let a sliver of light through and see what's up? I would've tried to open one down here but... well, you know. Plus... I'm sure everyone up here's dying to see you again, Septimus."

She'd flash him a smile, then disappear into the ground floor of the mansion once more. And, she wouldn't give him any chance to reply, whatsoever, before doing so. Almost baiting him to follow her. If he wanted to keep talking to her, he'd just have to bring his ass upstairs.

Back into the world.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:39 am

The methods which Septimus evaded sunlight were entwined.

"Now is not a good time for the sun." He says. "The power which fuels me also would augment my weaknesses. I would burn in the sun like any other. Clothing helps blot out the sunlight. And I can "suppress" the blood in order to walk in daylight. But not instantly."

The woman disappeared in a moment later with some invisible expectation left in her wake. And yet Ryoko urged him to follow him -- speaking as though there was sun entourage of people waiting at the top of the staircase. He could hear the thunderous pounding of her heart the same way he sensed those of great power who were near him. All heard was an empty house.

The light was not particularly pleasant. To re-enter it again was the same groggy sensation a person gets when they enter a dark room. It often felt strange and out of place. His eyesight was even slightly worse in the light. Particularly sunlight. Of which there was thankfully none in the house. Instead he peered up from the relative dark of the basement into the rather comfortable light above.

And slowly but assuredly, he came forth without the slightest sense of rush. His footsteps echoing through the hallway. There was something of a nice feeling. A draw of breath.

"Is that supposed to be a pun?" He asked, his expression neutral and humor deadpan.

He scanned the hallways. "If I recall from your message, you want to have tea while I watched, yes?" He said walking. But still giving her the choice. He said he would embrace the dark. And in that sense, he meant it. Power for him always held a price.

"Unless you have some sort of surprise party to welcome me awaiting outside, in which case you may wish to call them in. The owner of this home has all the tea you could possibly desire."

There were very few people Septimus could properly call "friends." That being Ryoko. Sophie. And in reality that was it. At most of the time hehe preferred it that way. Better to have a few good friends then many you hardly knew.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Vas, The Shadow Man
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:59 am

"I can pretend like it was."

She was had returned to the Dining Room once more, seated next to the tea that Charles had made for her earlier that was, by now, room temperature if not completely cold. She took a sip and her displeasure was immediately painted across her face.

"And, yeah, that may have been a poor choice of words. I just kinda thought that... eh, nevermind."

When she first arrived, she was... "greeted" by a bunch of guards with guns. And, for a place as large and fancy as this, Ryoko had to assume that Charles had to have some help, at least one maid. The fact that he had only bonded with the owner of the house, himself... well, she'd admit.

She might've gotten a bit ahead of herself there.

"HEY, CHARLES, GET OVER HERE!" she shouted in the direction of the only soul she could sense moving about within the secure mansion, "I GOT SOMETHING OVER HERE THAT'LL MAKE YOU HAPPY!"

She turned to Septimus with a laugh and a grin that stretched from ear to ear, almost. Then she kicked out a chair next to her for him to sit in.

"I just wanted to hang out with a friend while I was in town. I mean, if you'd prefer to spend the afternoon watching me drink tea, that's fine, but I never thought I'd end up in a fancy mansion today. So, I think we can come up with something better than that."

Today she was victorious, but this was just the beginning of a campaign for change. As soon as Septimus was properly prepared, the world would hear his voice and those whom he spoke of would have no choice but to answer him. But, that wasn't going to be happening today and Ryoko wasn't exactly in a rush to leave either.

"Don't hold out on me. You guys have gotta have like... a 'man cave' in here. Maybe a theatre room? Maybe some games? I'm uh... I'm admittedly not particular good at those video games, but I did have a hundred-year winning streak in shogi," she neglected to mention the fact that that winning streak ended thousands of years before the rapture, "I haven't played a game of chess in Eons, but I bet I could still kick your ass at that, too."

They'd have a fight on their hands soon. Today, Ryoko wanted to enjoy some time with Septimus while she had the chance.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:34 am

Septimus watched as the seat flew out. And then sat down, pulling it forward as he scooted closer to the table.

Seemingly despite Ryoko's more upbeat temperament, it did not seem to be all that much infectious. While his mood was better he did not seem all too eager bounce of the walls as Ryoko seemed to. The numbness hadn't gone away exactly. Indeed, in a way it may have increased. More so was an absence of despair. Fury in this moment itself was also pointless. It would drive him to do something abrupt and he knew it. And also, it was something he had felt all too well. If there was a blizzard in his eyes before, now there was simply nothing.

A frozen over hellish wasteland with a single flickering flame. And one singular decrepit thing. A giant toothy worm warded off by the tiny flame the man had. Within him rested twin desires to act. And to feel.

"Septimus is that you?"

He snapped out of it. "Hello Charles." He said instinctively. His voice polite despite his admittedly still relaxed and yet unchanging expression. One which could be mistaken for a malevolence. But Charles knew it well enough.

Charles appeared not too soon after. As quickly as his old bones could muster. It was a pleasant sight to see someone could get him to leave his room. Someone who may not have realized was closer to Septimus despite the fact that she indeed didn't even live with him. Perhaps it was because she was more outgoing. As it stood, it seem their guest never approached anyone and was rather distant with most but the persistent.

Looking on at Charles who had appeared in the room just now. "It's been some time since I've seen you. And I see you have joined your friend." The man thought of what to say. Something genuine. He knew himself that all was not well.

"I do! Sounds like a grand idea! My son had a great many games. I'm afraid I was never much of a "gamer" myself. " Charles said.

"Nor am I." Septimus chimed in. Indeed, he had never touched such a thing. "Though I will play you in chess any time. Or shogi!"

"If I am to be forward I wouldn't quite mind what we did do." He said, simply stating his feelings. "I cannot shake the feeling however that my lack of excitement during many of these activities might put you off. Though admittedly I don't want you to think I don't enjoy your company." It was always something he observed. His mood was rather infectious. Sometimes it even drew fury when he was indifferent to the efforts of those closest to him. And it would become mutual if there was some invisible expectation for him to be happy. To smile now despite how he felt would be a lie. He would not fight such a thing. But he did not force it either.

His mind put the tasks at hand at the forefront. There was a clear goal now. Though it would a lie to say he could not afford distraction. Or to say that now was a more ideal time. Gradually such thoughts were shifted back. Distraction was something he could afford. Perhaps something he even needed.

"Tea or chess would fine."
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Vas, The Shadow Man
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts