Administrative Career Fluctuations [Closed]

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Administrative Career Fluctuations [Closed]

Post by illirica » Sun May 31, 2020 8:46 pm

"No, it's in L-7," Harry answered, with a worried frown. "Councilman Butterfly is... well. He's lost a lot lately, and everyone's a bit worried about him. I think the general thought process is that his feelings about Contaminant might be... awfully personal. It's not a combination anyone wants to risk. Jupiter's probably taking the forefront on Assurance negotiations, so we don't want him to have to deal with Contaminant as well, since both of those things probably require someone's full-time attention, as much as is possible. And it wouldn't belong at Six, so that's out. That, and it wants to eat SV-4's Anchor, so a bit of separation is probably wise there, too. Ordinarily, it would be at L-9, but since that... er, happened - we've got it at Seven. I don't think anyone's happy with the arrangement, but there's no better ideas yet either."

He grimaced, in a way that had nothing to do with the coffee he was drinking - if anything, the expression was sympathetic. "I wouldn't be surprised if they dump it on you, honestly." It might make sense, too - that could be one of the reasons that the Foundation had pushed to fill the Council hole, to have one more person to take on one of these responsibilities, and share the load a little bit more. Everything just had to happen at once, didn't it?

"Might wanna start thinking about how you want to approach that. You'll need to pick some support staff, too - I have a feeling that you're going to need to hit the ground running. It ought to be the rest of the Council giving you this information, but if they're busy enough they didn't think they could take time off for it, then I'd expect you'll have a lot to do pretty soon."

Apricitas

Post by Apricitas » Sun May 31, 2020 8:59 pm

"That's understandable. Even more than that, it's secure. Seems Leviathan's finding his feet pretty well for someone who got off to a bad start."
She sat down, and then sat back, and then sipped on her mug of caffeinated sugar. "I'll need to talk to Leviathan, then, and most likely one of the managers at the Project. After I've talked to Ezekiel about all this, obviously,he's going to need to know about the promotion at least. As for the Contaminant..."

She'd been about to say what Harry was thinking, honestly. Taking the Contaminant off Leviathan's hands would be at the top of her own priority list, especially with what she'd heard about the situation of its initial containment process. Smoothing over relations with the outside world was going to be a group effort - one that, strange though it sounded, Hal might be missed for. He'd been the expert on reality-bender termination protocols, or at least, the closes thing to an expert that existed. She wouldn't be surprised if Leviathan asked her to look into that at her new location, either. The entity was trouble as long as it was alive. Not the same way that anomalies like 404 were trouble, either. The Contaminant was a threat to everything that currently existed in Sunshine's universe. In comparison to her, Pollux's murder sprees were a mild annoyance at worst.

"I'll see what Leviathan says about the Contaminant. It'll be his call, since it's currently in his location. Again, Ezekiel should be back soon to take Plainsville off my hands for a bit. I'll talk to the Council about what I can and can't tell him, and let him know in advance about it. He might've encountered it before, now that I think of it, or one of the realities it's...well, contaminated. For the official record, he could have useful information."

For the unofficial one, she didn't like the idea of living away from him in L-9, but that'd be their way of life. She'd need a recorded excuse to stop in and see him once in a while, or invite him into arguably the most inaccessible location the Foundation had to offer. Especially when and if Leviathan decided the Contaminant was supposed to become her problem.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun May 31, 2020 9:25 pm

”That all sounds... er. Sensible.” Normal. Competent. Not completely off the deep end. Not that Harry had been exactly worried about any of that... okay, if he were going to be forced to admit it, he might say he had been a little, teeny, tiny, totally negligible bit exactly worried about all that. Even so, it was kind of a relief to hear her thinking about the situation rationally and take the reins on what could potentially be done about it, navigating through potentially difficult areas with surprising ease.

She sounded like a Councilman. Like she belonged there, with all the inflections of that word - anomalous and otherwise. ”Honestly I think Leviathan would be more than happy to get rid of Contaminant if he’s got someone qualified to take it on. For all that his promotion was, er, surprising, he’s taken to it pretty well - but it’s a lot to handle for anyone, and I know as well as anyone he wasn’t expecting it. It’d be good for him to have more of a chance to just... be himself, I think. He’s still himself. He just doesn’t get the opportunity to express it very often.” And when he did, it was usually in ways like not telling Harry about the newest Councilman getting herself hitched. The more people who were there to help out Leviathan, the more of them there would be for him to target with his sense of mischief.

”Is, uh... Is Mandrake going to... handle all this decently? I imagine it’s not going to be something he expected.”

Apricitas

Post by Apricitas » Sun May 31, 2020 9:48 pm

For a moment, Sunshine slipped out of the somewhat forced Council mode she'd slipped into. There was a faint, distant smile on her face, the kind that indicated that she was thinking of sometime before, a time that, pretty soon, would never have existed at all. "Hal might've been qualified to... handle the Contaminant, with his contingency plans and everything. He might've gone off the deep end there at the end, but for all intents and purposes he was good at his job through most of it, and he definitely knew his way around reality-benders and termination protocols. He was just more liable to be himself out in the open when it came to the important things. That's where he tended to get into trouble."

Many of Hal's colleagues might've immediately retracted that statement - Tristan especially, given his proclivity to madness, and a few of Hal's old senior staff members. The only one who wouldn't have, besides the former Agent Phillips, would have been Current Councilman Butterfly, if he could be brought to talk about his old friend at all. Sunshine didn't retract it, though, but she did change the subject rather quickly back to Harry's question.

"Ezekiel and I will talk about it. He's...I don't think he's going to like being separated like this, especially right before or right after the wedding, but we'll figure something out. He's gone a lot of the time, anyway. He'll understand how it'll have to be."

She felt it'd be better for security if she left the topic of Ezekiel and Hal behind for now, though. She couldn't say anything for certain about how he'd take it. Hell, she wasn't even sure she knew how she was taking it. Maybe Hal had taught her a thing or two on the rational side of things, ironic though that sounded. She knew for a fact that without an example to follow, even a bad one, she wouldn't be able to think this through nearly as well.

"When's the soonest the Council will want to see me, any idea?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun May 31, 2020 11:22 pm

Harry, with wisdom well beyond his years - of which he didn’t have many - said nothing on the subject of “Hal Note was a bloody nutter.” His feelings on the matter were probably all too evident from his expression, but at least he didn’t say anything he would have to put in a report later. Note had been... a necessary evil, maybe, but just because he’d been necessary didn’t make him not evil. Maybe that was assigning too much of a black-and-white view to it, but... well. Harry’d interned at L-6, after all.

And Sunshine had come from L-9. It was exactly that sort of outside-the-boxes thinking that was going to end up being her strength, just as it was going to rankle anyone with the slightest bit of... Actually it was probably best just to [redact] that thought before it went anywhere, wasn’t it?

She was probably right about Mandrake being annoyed with the situation, but Harry couldn’t exactly feel sorry for the man. The guy had exuded a certain devil-may-care smarm that was practically reminiscent of the former Councilman - which brought up some rather interesting questions about Sunshine here that he would not ask in any reality, especially this one.

Oh, boy.

She seemed to be about as eager to get off that topic as he was, which was great, because if anyone was going to discuss the new Councilman’s love life with her, it was going to be... probably Puzzlehoff, the poor [expletive]. As long as it wasn’t Harry, that was enough for him.

”I, uh... They didn’t give me an exact date and time to give you, but I would guess somewhere along the lines of ‘as soon as possible’. You’ll probably want to check in and set up an official meeting. Or... I don’t know, I’m not the boss of you. I can barely manage my own location. You do you! I’m sure you’ve got this.”

Apricitas

Post by Apricitas » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 am

"So I've got time to wait for Ezekiel,"
she concluded from Harry's statement, then paused. "Or...leave a note and hopefully be back before he can read it. It might be better to get all of this sorted out before he's done, wherever he is, and I can talk to him about...everything when we both get back."

Sunshine carefully didn't note the expression on Harry's face when Hal got brought up. He had to have been expecting it, but that didn't mean he'd be ready to have an in-depth conversation in the presence of a Councilman about it. Most wouldn't. Someone probably would - an expert on psychology, for example, who like herself knew full well that Hal might've been off his rocker, but also knew he'd been effective where he needed to be.

She wasn't talking to a psychologist right now, however, and right now, it didn't take a psychologist to notice Harry's demeanor becoming arguably more lax now that she was a Councilman. Some people might've seen that as a security issue, but she wasn't some people. She was Sunshine, and...she arguable didn't mind the change. She did switch her own modes, though, if ever so slightly.

"I'm sure you've got L-fourteen as under control as you can. I've never been, but I've heard both that it's a hell of a place, and it's got some of the best security a location under Leviathan gets. Don't doubt yourself too much. You've got this, too."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:37 pm

"I don't want it!" Harry's exasperation leaked through for a moment, and he gave his coffee-milk a glum look. L-14 was doing great, sure, but... he'd never asked to be in charge of it, and the only reason he was in charge of it was because of [DATA EXPUNGED]. Harry hadn't been hand-picked as a location head, he'd just been there at the right time - or the wrong time, really - and here he was still managing it several months later, waiting for the Foundation to get around to finally assigning someone who had been selected for the job and knew what they were doing and wasn't just a jumped-up intern whose only real strength was getting paperwork done.

Imposter syndrome was real - and knowing what it was didn't actually make it any better.

Robin's hand was on his shoulder, where the butterfly wasn't and definitely hadn't been. She gave him a little squeeze, which was somehow reassuring even though he told himself he shouldn't let it be. "Fourteen is a good location, though. That's to their credit and not mine. I don't think I've really done anything other than keep it tidy." He sighed, and took another drink of pretend coffee, before it could get too cold. With as much milk as he liked, it cooled pretty fast.

"Well. Maybe now that they've got the big hole filled they can start filling in some of the smaller ones."

Apricitas

Post by Apricitas » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:23 pm

Sunshine went quiet for a few moments, as if she was trying to read the N-Class in front of her. In reality, she was thinking through what he'd said. She was a Councilman now, after all, and now her opinion would matter in cases like the ones he was presenting - "filling in the small holes," as he'd put it. She took a sip from her mug, then set it down on the coffee table.

"I think you know Leviathan better than me, Harry,"
she mused, watching him closely as she spoke, but keeping her voice soft."But I don't think you know how he thinks as well as some people know how Councilmen think. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Councilman now. I was on my predecessor's senior staff, despite being a Class-C. I know how he used to rationalize things because, unlike Hack, he actually talked to us while he was thinking things through."

She sat down, and sat back, fiddling with her engagement ring. Something else beautiful in her life, courtesy of Ezekiel, and a habit that might remain a habit as long as she was allowed to keep a ring on that finger.

"Have you considered that maybe Leviathan hasn't gone looking for a better person to fill the little hole there because he thinks it's already filled by the right guy?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:49 pm

There was a snicker at Councilman Sunshine's question, but not from Harry. Agent McKinney offered the Councilman a nod, in the manner that somehow meant everyone knows it, he just won't admit it.

"Mr. Thompson's belief that he's going to go back to being unimportant has been a vital aspect of his ability to maintain his leadership position." If he'd acted like he deserved the role, she thought people wouldn't have been as accepting of a newly-promoted intern leading them - but his attitude of not deserving it and at the same time doing everything he could to keep things together had been a major factor in people's desire to go on following him. No doubt, the Council was aware of it.

After all, Robin reported to them regularly.

Harry, for his part, just groaned. "I liked being an intern. Do you people know that? Being an intern was great. I didn't have to deal with any of this weird stuff."

"Really." Robin sounded nonplussed about that particular description - as would anyone who had any inkling of what Harry had been up to during his intern days. Some people said that L-9 was the one that was way off, but Robin personally was of the opinion that L-6 was just as bizarre, albeit in a slightly different way - maybe even more bizarre, given some of the things that Harry would occasionally reference as things he thought were perfectly normal.

Robin rather thought it likely that all of the Councilmen's personal locales were that way, it was just a matter of finding the right personnel for each of them. She wondered sometimes if the people over in Nine ever made any sotto voce comments about "those nutters over at L-6" the way Harry did about them.

She did not mention these theories around Harry, of course. She was rather fond of the kid, and didn't want to break him.

Apricitas

Post by Apricitas » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:13 pm

Sunshine's brows arched as Harry mentioned that he didn't have anything weird to deal with as a Class-B intern under Hack, and exchanged a questioning glance with Robin. If nothing else, Hack was weird enough for all of them. She'd seen the guy visit L-9. People might say Hal was nuts - with good reason - but someone who was always as cold and calculated as Councilman Hack? She understood why some people didn't even believe he was human.

She found it wise not to voice any of that, however. She wasn't Hal. She didn't want to be Hal, and even if she did, she knew he'd take up any problem with SV-4 himself, not an intern who used to work under him. Robin made a good point about a young location manager, too. People were probably even questioning the choice of a young Leviathan lately. She still remembered the conversations that went around when Hack was promoted to SV-4, outside the usual "Come on, he's got to be a robot" context. Most Councilmen before him had been at least Jupiter's age. Compared to that, the current Leviathan might as well be an intern.

"Come on, Harry,"
she said, instead of pointing out the nuttiness that had to be L-6, and laughing. "I remember being an intern. There's no getting away from the weird stuff, even then. That's why we're higher class than that now. Because we handled it well."

She picked her mug up again, swishing the drink around while she spoke.

"But maybe you should report the issue to Leviathan directly, then, considering he's pretty much right above you. Maybe even request a Class-D co-manager, to help carry the load and have someone more experienced than you involved. I'm sure he'd be willing to listen, not to mention understanding where you're coming from."