Free Cupcakes For All!!! [open event]

Roleplay locations.
Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Free Cupcakes For All!!! [open event]

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:36 am

Free Cupcakes For All!!!
Hello everyone!!! My name is Emily Brooke, but you can just call me Emma!!! Most of you probably don't know me, but I run The Neon Bakery!!! I bake all sorts of super yummy things: cupcakes, biscuits, cakes, tarts, pies, and a whole lot more!!! Well, for this week only, I'm doing a super awesome thing!!! Free cupcakes!!! There are chocolate cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes, sparkly cupcakes, and obviously neon cupcakes, as well as a whole bunch of other delicious flavors!!! Anyone can come and get some, whether you're hero or villain, meta or mutant, or just a person!!! The only rule is no starting trouble in my bakery, or I won't be happy at all!!! It's very easy to find my bakery, it has a bright neon pink door and a bright neon green sign!!! Well, I look forward to seeing you all!!! Bye for now!!!
Emily, AKA Emma, AKA Neon, hummed to herself whilst baking. The Neon Bakery was filled with the smell of freshly baked cupcakes, and it was a smell that always made Neon happy. Not that she was ever not happy, but the smell made her even happier.
Neon was currently dressed in a neon green dress with a neon pink apron that was covered in flour. Her neon green hair was up in its usual pig tails that had been tied with neon pink ribbons, and there was flour on her face and all over her apron. Her neon pink satchel was just underneath the counter, out of sight from the customers. The open-plan bakery - which allowed customers to see and speak to Neon as she baked - was also covered in neon pink and neon green. It was fair to say that Emma Brook was obsessed with neon colors.
Emily put another batch of cupcakes in the oven before taking a seat on a stool next to the counter. From here, she could see both the oven and the door. She picked up a cupcake decorated with edible glitter and neon colored icing and bit into it, her neon pink eyes looking at the door, wondering if anyone would respond to her poster.
madness is a rational response to a crazy world

you need a little bit of insanity to do great things

Check out my writing thread, if you want ^-^

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Free Cupcakes For All!!! [open event]

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Reginald Bradley entered the modest shop, squinting all the while. Everything was so... bright. Vivid colors, stark in their clash, decorated practically every surface. Not the most welcoming of design choices. If Reg could have guessed, he'd have assumed the entire shop was designed by a hyperactive twelve-year-old girl.

It was places like these that amused him the most. Dinky little family-run places, for the most part, acting on wonderful drives like passion and sense of mission. They seldom lasted more than a year, in his experience, and were naive enough to jump fast at his contracts. Easy signing, easy payments, and none of the risks long-term businesses tended to entail.

"Hello, dear," Bradley called out as he stepped inside. A girl, equally vibrant as the shop, was hard at work behind a short divider. "Isn't this the loveliest little shop?"
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:23 pm

"Hi!" Emily said, her usual big smile on her face. She waved energetically and the mixing spoon in her hand went flying towards the man. It stopped - seemingly by an invisible force - and went back to her. "Sorry about that," Emma apologised, laughing. "That seems to a happen a lot." She grabbed the spoon out of mid air and continued mixing the cupcake batter she was working on. "My bakery is lovely, isn't it? Some meanies who came in here before said that it was too bright and tacky. It took a lot longer than usual to get them to stop saying that. I don't like it at all when people insult how I choose to decorate in here..." She put the batter in cupcake cases and put it in the oven. Having done that, she turned to the man, her neon pink eyes glittering. "So, how can I help you?"

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:53 pm

"Why would anyone say such a thing?" Reginald replied, his deep voice a congenial purr. "I would never lambaste the fruits of such obvious effort."

Too bright and tacky indeed. It looked, to be curt, like the inside of a unicorn's intestinal tract. However, there was no need for Reginald to say this to the girl. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, as his gran always said, and his tongue was practically dripping with honey. He approached the counter, leaning against it casually with one hand. A business card was out of his pocket with a single flick of his fingers.

"Your sign lured me in, I must admit." The man smiled a warm smile, eyes crinkling in genuine happiness. "Confections are my weakness, and free ones - well, free ones make it all the more damning. But, when I saw this beautiful place, well-"

He slid the business card across the counter.

"I just had to offer you an equally delicious deal. My name is Reginald Bradley, and I am in the insurance business. More specifically, insurance against supernatural and metahuman disasters. Being a small business owner, you must know how many larger companies are loathe to insure against such issues, seeing as how commonplace and unpredictable they can be. But I - well, let me just say I appreciate the hard work people such as you do to enliven the community."

Reginald nodded slowly, glancing around the shop for a moment before leaning in towards the girl.

"You give and give, so I'd like to give a little back. What do you say, Miss-"

He paused, waiting for her name.

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:25 pm

"Emily Brooke. Everyone just calls me Emma," Emma said. She didn't bother to correct Reginald about her being the owner; she wasn't, but the owners let her do whatever she wanted to anyway. "Nice to meet you, Mr Bradley." She picked up a cupcake and bit into it, thinking. Emma attempted to put on what she thought of as a serious business face, but caught sight of her reflection in a mirror on the opposite wall and burst out laughing. Someone had once told her that she was like an over-energetic 10 year old. She had taken it as a compliment. When she managed to stop laughing, she took another bite of her cupcake, accidently getting a bit of the buttercream icing on her face and not noticing. "Hmmm, it is true about big companies being big meanies when it comes to that sort of stuff," she said. "What sort of deal?"

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:09 am

The girl bit. Just a nibble, at the moment, but it was a bite enough, and it seemed genuine. Now that he had his foot in the door, the rest of the pitch would be a - pardon the pun - cakewalk. It didn't help that she seemed not-quite-present. There was something childlike about her, as if she didn't entirely grasp what his words meant. Maybe she was mentally ill.

"If you give me ten free cupcakes and sign a little paper, I'll make sure no nasty villains put your lovely little shop out of business," Reginald replied. "Hero and villain battles are devastating, and everything gets trampled in the wake. Big companies, they can patch themselves right back up, but losing a front for a small business is a serious misfortune. It means losing livelihood, for many."

Reginald tapped his business card.

"That's where I come in, Miss Brooke. We reimburse you for any damages, and even help represent you in court, if need be. We keep people like you safe."

His hand darted into his pocket, pulling out a rolled up sheet of paper. He smoothed it out on the counter. Now this, this was where the magic happened. To Emma's eyes, the contract would appear favorable, even outright benevolent. No strings, no setbacks, just the goodwill of a stranger.

Of course, the real print read something far less kindly.

"Just sign below, dear, and everything will be taken care of."

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 am

Emma listened to Reginald speak, still eating her cupcake. When he finished speaking she finished her cupcake. She picked up a paper napkin from the counter and used it to wipe the buttercream icing off of her face, missing some. She looked at the contract, her brow furrowing slightly as she attempted to read it. It wasn't that she couldn't read or anything like that, she just lost focus easily when it came to reading things with lots of words. She had even ended up having to get someone else to proof read her poster. Her neon pink eyes kept drifting away from the contract to look at other things in the shop. She remembered a trick her mum had taught her when she was younger; read a few sentences at a time, slowly, and don't get frustrated, as Emma tended to do.
"By the way, Mr Bradley," Emma said as she read the document. "You shouldn't automatically assume it's the villains who destroy stuff, cos that's just mean. A lot of my friends say that they actually try their best to only destroy the hero, not the buildings and stuff around them."
At this point, Emma wasn't even half way through reading the contract, and people usually got annoyed at her for reading so slowly. She silently hoped Reginald wouldn't, because otherwise she would get mad, and she actually liked him, so it would be sad if she got mad at him.
She remembered her mum saying it was also good to give her eyes a rest. So, Emma looked up and said,"I'll sort those cupcakes for you first and then I'll finish reading this thingy. What cupcakes would you like?"

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:26 am

"Of course, dear!" Reginald replied, chuckling. He glanced side to side, then leaned even closer, his voice lowering to a whisper. "But just between you and me... people don't like to hear such truths. Many see villains as purely destructive, and place heroes on rose-tinted pedestals, when heroes often destroy as much - if not more - than the villains themselves!"

She had bitten the bait, and was pulled in on the reel. Nothing was signed yet, but Reginald had a bit of a knack for knowing when a deal was done, even before it was actually done. Comfortable, he leisured, merely smiling and watching as the girl's eyes slowly scanned the paper. No need to rush her. No need to try and pull things quickly to a close. Pace didn't matter when the prey was already hooked, and pushing hard after a catch had a tendency to grow distrust, or even resentment.

"Ah... let me see. I am quite partial to both chocolate and vanilla.." The decorations once more came to mind. "...and am very fond of colorful sprinkles. The most colorful sprinkles you have, if you please!"

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:06 am

Emma nodded and went over to one of the ovens to get out a fresh batch of cupcakes she had in there. "Chocolate and vanilla were actually my parents favorites," she said. Getting the cupcakes out, she caught her hand on the tray. "Owchie!" Emma exclaimed, dropping the tray. It stopped before it hit the floor - Emma didn't care about whether out not people saw her using her powers - and she put it on the side while she ran her hand under cold water. Afterwards, she decorated five vanilla cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing, and five chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing. She grabbed really colorful sprinkles - they were actually her favorite ones - and covered the cupcakes in them. She put the cupcakes in a box, and put them on the counter. "Here ya go!" Emma said. "I'll try to finish reading the thingy now." She looked at the contract again, trying to find where she had left off.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:52 pm

"They had good tastes."

'Were' her parents favorites? That was certainly a curious phrasing. Reginald was about to ask - not pry, mind, merely ask - when the girl dropped the tray of cupcakes. He made to move, but stopped when he say the tray hovering inches above the ground.

Even more curious. He'd come in here seeking an easy sell, but may have just stumbled across a potential asset instead.

"These look delightful, dear," Reginald said, wrapping an arm around the box and patting it. "You truly are an artist. Now, do take your time, I am in no rush."