Murder in Sylvania (Open Event)

Roleplay locations.
LunaHawk
Bronze

Murder in Sylvania (Open Event)

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:39 am

I have suffered. By my own hand I have suffered...but my deeds are legend, my lives are myth. Yet I allowed myself to suffer when I was defeated. I lowered myself to the shadows, to the places long forgotten. From the back streets of London to the haunted embers of forgotten Paris. I tormented myself for my defeat, I cursed myself because I allowed it to happen. How could I have let them defeat me? How could it have all happened? Well...my eyes have opened. I cast off my suffering. It is time I retake what is rightfully mine!

Sylvania, a small town in North Eastern Indiana, it averages more churches than stop lights and has always been a haunt for those seeking ghosts. Today life in Sylvania, a sleepy town where nothing ever changes...has changed. At twelve noon all communications from Slyvania ceased; the internet, smart phones, everything. A traveler passing the town on the freeway reported at 2 PM the presence of bodies on pikes outside of the town limits. At 2:30 attempts by concerned citizens to reach people inside of Sylvania were met with static. At 3:30 State Troopers were sent to investigate.

No one has heard from the State Troopers in two hours. No one has heard from Sylvania. The town is utterly dark. For some reason those who attempt to drive to Sylvania find the town impossible to reach, always on the horizon but never quite there...then, suddenly, they are on the other side of the town as if they have passed it by. Attempts to turn back result in much the same outcome.

Sylvania is one of America's most haunted towns and today...it has gone weird. Word of the strangeness has reached the major news outlets with calls by some for a State or Federal investigation into the matter and calls by others for heroic responders. Heroes are, after all, the first responders of the modern world when things get weird. The government can take hours, even days to organize appropriate responses. Heroes can appear in far less time. The question is if they'll be able to make it to the town...or if there will be anyone left to save when they arrive.

News teams are reporting with images of the town on the horizon but none have been able to actually reach the town, so they must content themselves with wild speculation while standing with a boring backdrop of an average town in average middle America where entirely average things happen on any given average day. Today though, today is not an average day.
----------------------------------

OC; This RP is about mystery as much as it is about fighting. To get to the fighting, you have to figure out how to get to the town. The barrier blocking individuals from the town is not an NPC, it cannot be simply hand waved away...a solution must be found, in character just as if the barrier were a character itself.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Murder in Sylvania (Open Event)

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:26 am

It was the middle of another sunny afternoon in Solar City. Too sunny, even. Kelly Sanderson was usually all about the out-of-doors, but today was one of those muggy, hot days where even she didn't want to be outside. She was sitting at home in the family room with a cold Sprite, flipping idly through the television. Daytime television was awful. Her parents got, like, a bazillion channels and there wasn't anything good on any of them. It was just too stupid hot to do anything but watch TV. She'd seriously watched two whole episodes of Teen Titans Go! yesterday.

She'd started trying to watch the news. She hated it - it was boring and depressing half the time, and half of it was on politics, which Kelly hated. She just wanted to watch something about superheroes. Preferably not Teen Titans Go! Today's news was on the fact that it was hot (like, duh?), and something something President something something foreign relations, and... something something Indiana? Kelly sat up a little more at the last, because the Indiana news was totally bizarre. Something about a little town that was a total mystery. Kelly liked mysteries. That Nancy Drew stuff was right up her alley, even if she didn't read those books any more because she'd gotten teased about them in middle school that one time...

But... Indiana. Kelly Sanderson couldn't really do anything about Indiana. But... Prism could. Kelly turned the TV off slowly, and got up, passing the kitchen table on the way to put her Sprite back in the fridge, glancing down at the note from her mom. Dad and I are working late tonight, get yourself a treat! Love you, Kelly! There was a twenty dollar bill and the number for her favorite pizza place. She'd been thinking about shrimp and pineapple. But now she was thinking about Indiana.

Kelly wasn't sure how she wanted to handle that. She didn't like lying... She frowned slightly, then pocketed the twenty and scrawled. I'm out with friends! Love you, too! It was... kinda true. Maybe there would be some friends there.

And now she was lying to herself. Great. Superheroing was hard. Well, she'd deal with that later. Maybe sooner, because she wasn't convinced this idea of hers wasn't just going to fail right out. She locked the house behind her, hopped on her bike, and went down to the subway station, taking the train out to the edge of the city. The border was just a few minutes' walk from there. Kelly screwed up her courage, and started moving. She felt it, when she got there. It was like... getting warm, all over. Except in a totally metaphorical sense. Like sitting down in a hot tub, and just soaking, and feeling your body get all toasty. The last few steps were the hardest, feeling her powers amp up to high definition. "Wowie," Kelly found herself saying - fortunately there was no one around to hear her say it.

She calmed herself down, and raised her hands over her face, putting her rainbow-light mask into place. That was easy, she'd done that before, even inside Solar City. What she was about to try, though, she hadn't tried before. She didn't even know if it was going to be possible. She'd thought, though, in that moment in New York, that maybe she could. Maybe, just maybe. Her power outside Solar City was just, like... totally crazy. She felt like she could do anything.

Prism smiled, all traces of worry washed away, and gave herself up to the light. The light was... everything. It was all around her. She could move it, change it, pull it through her. She let it pull her instead. Let it move her.

Light, as it turned out, moved really darn fast. The rainbow arched across the sky, from Solar City to the outskirts of Indiana, and Prism set down in a dazzling sparkle, walking fearlessly towards the city.

"Let's shine a little light on this situation."

The city was close. Very, very close. And yet... Prism didn't seem to be getting any closer. Hmm... that's weird. She tried walking sideways, along a big circular path, and that worked just fine. It was just getting towards the city. Well, this is kind of ridiculous. How am I supposed to save the city when I can't even get in?

Prism walked to the edge of where she could get, then opened her hands and cast a rainbow down on the ground in front of her. She tried to push her rainbow path forward, seeing if that would work. Maybe light can get in. And if light can get in, I can get in... I think. That'll be another step to figure out, but it'd be one step closer than I was before.

And someone's gotta figure this out.
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 am

Fingers played over the arm of a chair in the town as someone probed against the barrier with the force of light. The attention of the figure seated on the throne was drawn away from their surroundings to the field erected to buy time. It was holding, but others would come. Soon enough there would be fighting...soon enough.

--------------------------------

The barrier had been erected for all manner of senses, but it was not a barrier the kind of thing that could keep out light. Indeed had it been able to do so the town would be suffering eternal darkness, but eternal darkness had not been on the menu. Prism's special lights reached the point of the barrier and kept right on going as if nothing was different. It was funny sometimes how the first plan to get past something ended up being the best plan. Light was like a honey-badger, it was relentless and it went where it damn well pleased.

So the light went in, it passed the physical barrier that had initially kept her out. The reason why light worked now and didn't earlier was still up in the air, but clearly light could get through now where it could not before...or where something else had kept her out. Now she had to figure out that pesky next step. In the distance something moved and a shape worked its shambling way towards the strange lights playing out over the ground. After a moment the shape revealed itself to be the outline of a man.

Within a few minutes the man arrived. He was hunched over with a hump on his back and he carried a shovel. His body was dirty, as if he hadn't seen water in years and he smelled, she could smell through the barrier, he smelled of grave dirt. He poked at the light on the ground with his shovel. He turned his head to Prism. "Hot damn, I've never seen a rainbow on tha ground before!" He grinned an almost toothless grin at her. "You mus be one of them outatowners we was warned about. Come to fight have ya? Well I don't want ta bury no more bodies, so you just stay right over there and I'll just stay right over here."

Concord

Post by Concord » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 am

"Situations that grim, huh?" Concord muttered to himself as he sat down a clipboard housing all known relevant data to the disappearance of Sylvania. Now calling it a disappearance was technically a misnomer, as even under the impromptu tent set up by the ISP, he could still see the town clearly. The only trouble was getting to it, of course, that's what he was flown in to figure out. Albeit he didn't have the faintest clue how. He'd watched a van of officers load up and spend the next twenty minutes driving only to get nowhere. So just driving or walking there seemed off the table, which unfortunately left him without too many more options but to wait to see whatever metas decided to try their luck on getting in.

He was unsure how it would react to either speedsters or flight, but he couldn't quite test those at the moment. When it came to mobility he didn't have much more than an average human. Still, he wasn't going to get anywhere sitting about waiting for some else to come along a break through it. Getting up he borrowed the keys to a police SUV before reaching the point that appeared to be the spot the parameter came into effect. From there he began to drive in a spiral slowly moving closer to the city as he circled it. He was hoping to find a chink in the barrier, to find out if it worked in all directions. He wasn't sure how effective it would be, but it was a hell of a lot better than sitting on his ass while no one had any idea what was happening in the town.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Kelly Sanderson would have had absolutely no idea how to respond to that, but Prism wasn't burdened by self-doubt. Much. She just gave the strange man a sunny smile. "Thanks for the advice," she answered. "But I think I'll be following the rainbow-brick road here. Nice to meet you, but I haven't got time to chat."

She looked at her path of light leading in to the city. Whatever it was that had kept her out of the city wasn't keeping the light out. The light went in just fine. Good. I can work with that. Prism widened her path a little bit, splitting the light carefully, anchoring a point outside of the effect zone as the entry point, and dividing the light up by color into a path, following the indication of her name.
There. That was done, for whatever good it did. But... it was a start. It was light going in, something going path the barrier. And now... now all she had to do was focus on the light. The barrier might be able to push her back or trick her or whatever it was doing, but it couldn't keep out the light. Prism let herself delve deeper into her abilities, let the light soak into her, and let the light be her. Or part of her. She could feel the light. She could feel the path.

All she had to do was make sure she concentrated on that, and that alone. She lost herself deeper into the rainbow, feeling the way the light spread, following each refraction, each change in its measurement. Slowly, she started walking forward - concentrating not on where she should be in the world, but where she should be within the light.
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Concord wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 am
"Situations that grim, huh?" Concord muttered to himself as he sat down a clipboard housing all known relevant data to the disappearance of Sylvania. Now calling it a disappearance was technically a misnomer, as even under the impromptu tent set up by the ISP, he could still see the town clearly. The only trouble was getting to it, of course, that's what he was flown in to figure out. Albeit he didn't have the faintest clue how. He'd watched a van of officers load up and spend the next twenty minutes driving only to get nowhere. So just driving or walking there seemed off the table, which unfortunately left him without too many more options but to wait to see whatever metas decided to try their luck on getting in.

He was unsure how it would react to either speedsters or flight, but he couldn't quite test those at the moment. When it came to mobility he didn't have much more than an average human. Still, he wasn't going to get anywhere sitting about waiting for some else to come along a break through it. Getting up he borrowed the keys to a police SUV before reaching the point that appeared to be the spot the parameter came into effect. From there he began to drive in a spiral slowly moving closer to the city as he circled it. He was hoping to find a chink in the barrier, to find out if it worked in all directions. He wasn't sure how effective it would be, but it was a hell of a lot better than sitting on his ass while no one had any idea what was happening in the town.
His slow cricles seemed to work at first, the town came closer and closer but as his concentration on the barrier increased his distance from the town began to do the same. Those first moments of driving when he was focused on setting up his theory rather than the driving itself were the successful ones and the very first few moments the most successful of all. In those moments the sensation of being watched filtered into his senses, like someone creepit up behind him, but it too began to fade as his concentration increased until it was gone entirely. Perhaps of note, the fuel gauge in the car jumped all the way to full for a moment when he was making progress. When the barrier pushed back it dropped back to where it had been.

The intrusion did not go unnoticed and something just beyond detailed perception shifted in the outline of the town. It moved like a gargoyle dislodging itself from a gothic roof and then vanished in the gloom beyond the barrier, last seen moving in the direction of his temporary breach. Reality distorted around the edges of perception as the barrier relocated the truck back to it's extremity, shimmering like the air above a death hot desert and for the faintest of moments, a heartbeat between when the fuel gauge registered full and when it dropped back down there was...a hint of illusion, of wrongness.

------------------------------

"The rainbow girl has penetrated the barrier." A male voice whispered into the ear of an individual seated on a throne distant from either hero.

"It was bound to happen eventually." Another voice replied.

_-------------------------

Something about what she did worked and Prism was very suddenly in the outskirts of town. Inside it was dark, as if she had crossed time zones, the moon shone balefully down. The town was as still as the grave and six bodies hung impaled on spikes, their flesh partially decayed from exposure. The man with the shovel was one of the impaled bodies, all signs indicating he had been dead for days.

A girl aged roughly ten was laying flowers near the base of each spike with utmost care. She paused and stood to face Prism. The girl had the skin tone of someone who's parents or grandparents had come from the middle East. She smiled a little and watched with curious eyes. "I love your hair."

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 am

Azra sighed sharpening her sword on a whetstone as she watched the news in LA news was boring to almost any eighteen year old but if she wanted to help people she needed to. There was a problem however the biggest news of trouble on this given day was a pretty long trip away. About two thousand miles to be exact, that was a bit much for her. Yellow almost cat like eyes glared at the tv. "Stupid town being so damn far away." With that she began to try and figure out her plan of speeding up travel.

The earth rotated at about a thousand miles per hour, if she could use that then maybe she could speeding things along. She grabbed her things tossed a backpack over her shoulder and dropped a few bottles of water into that the usual stuff to help keep her sword sharp and a few things to snack on should she need. Alezra never really could know ahead of time how long she'd be away from her humble abode after all. Heading out of her place she focused on using her phone to tell the general direction of where she needed to go. Walking until a breeze of any sort would lead that way, essentially giving her a direction before she just sort of surrendered to the earth. Eventually a car speeds on by the way some newspaper is kicked up against the existing breeze says it's enough more or less. So the ghost becomes lighter and lighter until the car comes closer it blows against her as Alezra moves to take a seat.

At most it should have blown her hair a bit instead it seemed to knock the woman over until she vanished into the earth. She flickered once in the earth and then back to not being there. And with that she now was quite the quick specter, though she had forgotten a pivotal part of her idea of a trip. Time, it was still going to take two hours and there was nothing to do in said time. She didn't really breathe and it wasn't like there was someone to talk to. She couldn't really use her phone, was no signal, and she didn't have a book to read. She couldn't listen to music, she didn't really exist at the moment.

She arived from the earth on a hill not to far away from the town she could see it in what she considered walking distance. More importantly there was finally some damn sight and sound other then earth and stones mixed with silence. Birds chirping leaves blowing a bunch of things easy to miss maybe unless in a total vacuume. She to had a voice now however and in the absolute boredom of before she looked to use it. Shuffle through her phone a bit to find the right song and then keep moving forward. It wasn't her usual selection but it had a liveliness that she felt in desperate need of Feel so Good by Yntendo she sang to not concerned with judgment as only the animals were her competition and she didn't speak their language. She didn't think her singing that good she thought herself decent at beat boxing and creating noise taping against her thigh and phone however. At the very least it was something to mix with nature to try and move beyond the silence of before. Amongst her walking however she ended up suddenly on the other side of the town in a disoriented blur she found that what had been ahead of her was behind her and a good distance at that. "Really?"

She really didn't want to go intangible at the moment two hours of keeping it active while not to exhausting was a lot of time devoid of surroundings. "Could see if someone else has an idea just walk around until finding someone. No Azra gota get that ass in there. But I don't want to" she was fully aware she was talking to herself like an idiot it was however relieving for her. Was no getting around it though it was the best plan she had at the time. So again her body became ethereal not disturbing so much as the grains of dirt before her. She would move toward the city but she carried no physical presence.

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 am

Azra wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 am
Azra sighed sharpening her sword on a whetstone as she watched the news in LA news was boring to almost any eighteen year old but if she wanted to help people she needed to. There was a problem however the biggest news of trouble on this given day was a pretty long trip away. About two thousand miles to be exact, that was a bit much for her. Yellow almost cat like eyes glared at the tv. "Stupid town being so damn far away." With that she began to try and figure out her plan of speeding up travel.

The earth rotated at about a thousand miles per hour, if she could use that then maybe she could speeding things along. She grabbed her things tossed a backpack over her shoulder and dropped a few bottles of water into that the usual stuff to help keep her sword sharp and a few things to snack on should she need. Alezra never really could know ahead of time how long she'd be away from her humble abode after all. Heading out of her place she focused on using her phone to tell the general direction of where she needed to go. Walking until a breeze of any sort would lead that way, essentially giving her a direction before she just sort of surrendered to the earth. Eventually a car speeds on by the way some newspaper is kicked up against the existing breeze says it's enough more or less. So the ghost becomes lighter and lighter until the car comes closer it blows against her as Alezra moves to take a seat.

At most it should have blown her hair a bit instead it seemed to knock the woman over until she vanished into the earth. She flickered once in the earth and then back to not being there. And with that she now was quite the quick specter, though she had forgotten a pivotal part of her idea of a trip. Time, it was still going to take two hours and there was nothing to do in said time. She didn't really breathe and it wasn't like there was someone to talk to. She couldn't really use her phone, was no signal, and she didn't have a book to read. She couldn't listen to music, she didn't really exist at the moment.

She arived from the earth on a hill not to far away from the town she could see it in what she considered walking distance. More importantly there was finally some damn sight and sound other then earth and stones mixed with silence. Birds chirping leaves blowing a bunch of things easy to miss maybe unless in a total vacuume. She to had a voice now however and in the absolute boredom of before she looked to use it. Shuffle through her phone a bit to find the right song and then keep moving forward. It wasn't her usual selection but it had a liveliness that she felt in desperate need of Feel so Good by Yntendo she sang to not concerned with judgment as only the animals were her competition and she didn't speak their language. She didn't think her singing that good she thought herself decent at beat boxing and creating noise taping against her thigh and phone however. At the very least it was something to mix with nature to try and move beyond the silence of before. Amongst her walking however she ended up suddenly on the other side of the town in a disoriented blur she found that what had been ahead of her was behind her and a good distance at that. "Really?"

She really didn't want to go intangible at the moment two hours of keeping it active while not to exhausting was a lot of time devoid of surroundings. "Could see if someone else has an idea just walk around until finding someone. No Azra gota get that ass in there. But I don't want to" she was fully aware she was talking to herself like an idiot it was however relieving for her. Was no getting around it though it was the best plan she had at the time. So again her body became ethereal not disturbing so much as the grains of dirt before her. She would move toward the city but she carried no physical presence.
The barrier was not as physical as people might have thought. Though she was a ghost of immaterial dimensions and makeup, the girl had as much trouble trying to approach the town as others. The more she focused on her destination, the harder it got to arrive there, as if the town was simply rejecting her approach. There were limitations to the barrier that non-physical objects tested however. Just as light had penetrated on the other side, elements of Azra did for brief moments as it whatever it was attempted to adjust. These moments were almost microseconds long, but they existed.

Time in these microseconds was distorted, flowing faster or slower at various points with no apparent connection between the two. For the briefest of moments she would feel a sensation not unlike jet lag, as if time had been accelerated and then restored to normal in the time it took for her eyes to blink or her heart to beat. These moments passed though and each time she was returned to her starting place, no closer but no farther from her objective than she had been when she started out.

What was unknown to both new intruders was their attempts, coupled with the breach created by Prism, were weakening the barrier. Had they arrived earlier the oddities they noticed would not have been there to notice. Indeed, the barrier was not limitless in its ability even if it was limitless or very near to it, in its duration. The fact that each person attempting to reach the town was using different means to do so added further stress on the carefully crafted system.

Concord

Post by Concord » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 am

Eventually, Noel pulled the car over and got out of the car, he didn't feel the need to circle the whole thing. It was clear getting through it wouldn't be a matter of finding a gap, but making his own. Sitting against the hood of the SUV with the hood to his costume pulled down he thought for a moment. He had an idea, and while on any other day he would have labeled it a dumb one, he was just about up to try anything at this point.

Walking back up to the closest he could get he took a deep breath and closed his eyes before moving in the direction of the city. He kept his mind clear, thinking no about the city, it's inhabitants or the barrier. Instead, he focused on his refusal to fail here, no because of what would happen to those, but because of what it would mean for the future. If he was stopped now it would only be a sign of weakness, if he couldn't walk toward something he could clearly see. Then what right did he have to pursue what humanity had never known?

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:33 pm

LunaHawk wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 pm
Something about what she did worked and Prism was very suddenly in the outskirts of town. Inside it was dark, as if she had crossed time zones, the moon shone balefully down. The town was as still as the grave and six bodies hung impaled on spikes, their flesh partially decayed from exposure. The man with the shovel was one of the impaled bodies, all signs indicating he had been dead for days.

A girl aged roughly ten was laying flowers near the base of each spike with utmost care. She paused and stood to face Prism. The girl had the skin tone of someone who's parents or grandparents had come from the middle East. She smiled a little and watched with curious eyes. "I love your hair."
The darkness didn't really bother her. The moon made enough light, and somehow Prism was pretty sure she could always make her own light if she needed to. Right now, though, she had moonlight and her rainbow path, and the darkness didn't bother her.

The things in the darkness bothered her.

She peered curiously at the weird figures in the shadows, until the moment when thought caught up with shadow and she realized that they were actually dead people. "Ohmygosh!" That was creepy and weird and totally not okay. Prism had never seen a person who had died like... like that. She'd been to a couple funerals, but there was a huge difference between a person who had died and been carefully tended to by a mortician, and a body on a spike. "Oh my gosh," she said again, because it was definitely a time to say it twice.

She still hadn't really recovered from that when the little girl who'd been moving around them turned to talk to her. Flowers? ...Oh. "Um... thank you," Prism said quietly, feeling, perhaps, that this wasn't really the time for that talk. Of course, this wasn't really the time for- She shook her head quickly. "What are you doing here? This place isn't safe! You need to get out." That was pretty obvious. Heroes were supposed to protect the innocent, after all, and little kids didn't need to be caught up in whatever this was.

Prism thought about the trouble she'd had getting in to the city, and wondered if, maybe, the reverse was true as well. Were the people trapped here? That little girl? She looked behind her, at the rainbow trail. "Look, I think you can follow the rainbow path out, okay? Just... look down at the light, and don't think about other stuff. You should be able to get out safely. Go to one of the towns nearby. Someone there can help you. I'd go with you but I think I need to stop this, and I don't know if anyone else has gotten in. You can do it, okay?"

Prism hoped she could do it, anyway... but if this weren't stopped, the little girl was going to be in worse trouble anyway. Prism was just going to have to trust her to be okay on her own. I wish Felix were here. He'd be good at getting people out to safety. Kelly doubted she could text him, though, and even if she could, he probably didn't have any way to get here.

No, for now, she was on her own. She tried to look at the bodies without actually looking too hard at them. The man with the shovel... looked just like the guy outside. Identical twin? I hope it's an identical twin. Not that that wouldn't be bad enough, for the guy outside, to lose his brother, but... oh, this is too weird. She turned back to the little girl, who was at least easier to look at. "Do you know anything about what's causing this? I want to help, but I don't really know where to start."
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix