Murder in Sylvania (Open Event)

Roleplay locations.
retrorocet

Re: Murder in Sylvania (Open Event)

Post by retrorocet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Rebecca smiled and shook the man's hand. She was happy to see someone 'official' was here. "Yeah. I was able to get in right before the light show. My name is Re-"
She paused for a moment as she looked up in contemplation. "You know. If I'm going to do this superhero thing, I should probably think of an appropriate name."
Rebecca realized how dumb she must seem. She rubs the back of her neck as her face scrunched up into more of an embarrassed look. " uh. I will get back to you on that."
Rebeca shakes the dope from her head. "Whats important now is cleaning up this mess."

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:31 pm

illirica wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:32 pm
Something... changed, in Sylvania. Prism wasn't entirely sure what had just happened, but everything was suddenly... different. There was wind and daylight and night and the whole place couldn't really seem to decide what time it was, or if it was at all.

As suddenly as it had come up, though, it ended. It seemed to have decided it was night again, even though Prism was certain that it had been daytime outside... but it wasn't like she really needed another reminder that things here were totally weird.

She thanked the little girl for her help, watching her leave. Part of Prism wanted to leave with her, and hope that someone vastly more qualified could take care of all this... but she didn't know if there was anyone more qualified here. There was just her... and she was just going to have to do her best. She nodded to herself, which probably looked totally weird from the outside, but... hopefully no one noticed. Prism's hand went to the two flowers she held, patting them carefully. Apparently they weren't bothered by the sudden shift in whatever-ness that had happened.

At least it wasn't too hard to figure out where she was supposed to be going. "Big creepy house" wasn't all that descriptive, but there was definitely the one building that stood out as a paragon of creepiness. Okay. I guess that's where I go. She walked through the town, thinking about how weird and quiet it was. Behind her, the rainbow path followed along. She kept it there, hoping that maybe it could help some people get out, like the little girl. And... secretly, hoping that maybe someone more qualified would find it and follow her in.

She didn't want to wait around, though. People were hurt - were dead already. Someone had to stop this - and if Prism couldn't stop it herself, maybe she could at least pause it for a little while, until someone else could get there. Whatever happened, she'd just have to do her best.

She was able to approach the house unhindered, and paused on the front step, for a moment at a loss as far as what to do. Lacking a better idea, and because she'd been raised to be polite, she raised a hand and knocked.
The sound of no less than ten deadbolts drawing back proceeded the opening of the door and the revelation of an elderly woman in a long old world dress of whites and Grey's. A complex runic sigil had been branded on to her neck on the left side. It looked as if she had been picking at the scar tissue and managed to do minor damage to it. Her eyes had a strange appearance, both distant and alert at the same time.

"She, she is focused." The woman urged in a near paniced whisper.

"The moment has passed." The voice coming from deeper in the house was so utterly wrong the world itself seemed displeased by it's existence. The room temperature dropped noticably and the lights flickered. The woman made a small sign of the cross, as if trying to conceal the action. Aside from it's unnatural quality the voice settled in the last few words to something decidedly female and much less primal.

"She...is..." The elderly woman whispered in fits, as if speaking the words required enormous physical effort. "vampyre...get...help." The sigil flashed and her skin sizzled. The woman's eyes widened in pain. "Feed...on...whole town... soon." The last words made the rune flare with the light of a star. When it died down again the woman's eyes were glassed over and she spoke more naturally but with an almost deadpan tone. "I'm sorry Miss but the lady of the house is busy right now, you'll have to come back later."

"Nonsense, let her in and shut the door." The now normal teenage girl's voice said from deeper in the house. The old woman moved aside and gestured for her to enter.

The men paused in their labors and turned to look at Azra. Their eyes were glossed over and complex runic symbols had been burned into the flesh of their necks. When they spoke it was with dull, toneless voices. "We are busy packing for the Lady, please go about your day citizen and remember, wifi is always free." They returned to their work, collecting a coffin from the inside of a closed shop. In their mindless habit they left the door inside open and unguarded. As they moved it was revealed both men wore smart phones clipped to their belts at the hip.

Neither man moved with any of the care or swiftness of professional movers, though their clothes made it obvious they were. Their movements were more akin to zombies than waking people, though skin tone made it apparent they were alive. Whatever they were they ignored her now and worked on placing the next box in the truck. Though they did not strain, the muscles of their arms bulged in protest of the weight of the box.

If she looked at all into the store she would see just six more boxes on the floor of the storage room. Each was nailed shut and each was enscribed with a Roman Numeral near where the head of a body rested. The boxes went up to the number 300.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am

Prism stared at the old woman in confusion for a moment as her attitude shifted back and forth, then thought about it, took a deep breath, and lay a hand on her shoulder. "It's okay," she said, soothingly. "I am the help." With that, she stepped forward through the door.

"Although, like, if you can leave the door open that would be totally awesome." That sounded a lot less like Confident Heroine and a lot more like Teenage Girl. Oh, well. She was still working on it... and she would feel a lot more comfortable if the door were open. Mostly because of all those locks. If it came to it, though... light could escape, through the windows.

Can I, like, do that though? That seemed a little... far-fetched. On the other hand, she'd somehow gotten herself here from Solar City, so maybe it was totally possible after all. Prism still wasn't sure what the limits of her power were. Maybe she never would be. And that was... like... okay. Yeah. She could be okay with that.

Right now, though, she needed to worry about Sylvania. She walked forward, into the hallway, and refrained from saying anything like 'Take me to your mistress.' Even though it was totally appropriate, and she kinda regretted that she probably would never get a better opportunity.

Oh, well. All heroes had regrets.
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:03 pm

The old woman had just enough shred of will left that she shut the door, but left the locks open. She showed her to the center room of the house where the darkness of oblivion dominated the back wall and much of the room. Countless cables ran from seemingly every direction across the room to the center point of the darkness, where a pair of luminous purple eyes were the only thing visible. A shadow of sensation crept across the room, like entering the lair of a spider and knowing the spider was watching. The sound of finger tips tapping at the hard wood of a chair's arm rest came from the darkness.

"You disappoint me." The words were not directed at Prism and though spoken in the voice of a teenage girl, they carried a predatory tone and a wave of dread washed over the old woman, causing her to drop to her knees, tears streaming from her eyes.

"Please, my lady I beg you..." The woman said, her eyes suddenly clear of the fog that had taken hold of them. "Give me another chance, please!" The purple eyes narrowed in the darkness. Something moved there and with it came the sound of cables rasping across the floor and the surface of a wooden chair. The eyes moved closer, as if the owner had leaned forward.

The eyes in the darkness turned to regard Prism.

"Good help is so hard to find." She said, the inhumanity gone again from her voice. "You're not connected, you must be one of the jerks that penetrated the barrier. Your lot very nearly tore a Conflux in reality doing that. Where are the others? I don't feel like killing you all one at a time, there's still much to be done." The cables drug across wood and floor again and the eyes retreated marginally as the figure in the utter blackness shifted back. The umbral corner seemed to refuse Prism's light except at the very edges where blackness gave way to mere shadows.

"I elevated you above the status of cattle. You have squandered my gift!" She snapped to the old woman suddenly, the last words with an inhuman snarl and the old woman screamed. She aged before Prism as the gift was removed, turning older before her eyes. Perhaps if Prism acted quickly enough she might yet save the woman from whatever was going on, but she had seconds to decide.

Concord

Post by Concord » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Suppressing a grin Concord nodded his head, "Agreed, though that's proving to be a bit more difficult than simply getting past the barrier. I was about to head into town, doesn't appear to be much of note out here. If you're here to help with all this I'd appreciate the backup."

She was inexperienced that was clear, but if she was able to get past the barrier then she clearly had something going for her. Besides traveling together meant there was a better chance that one of them would notice something. Seeing how he wasn't having much luck at the moment, he was more than willing to take the extra set of eyes. "You see anything notable from up there?" He said, nodding his head to the sky. Afterall a bird's eye view could shed more light on a situation.

retrorocet

Post by retrorocet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:30 am

"Well, I saw a woman and a child over towards the town and two men loading up coffins that way." Rebecca pointed her finger towards the places she was talking about. "We should probably find the woman and the kid first." Rebeca thought for a moment more. Her face drawn into a frown. "Also, the streets are empty. Well other than the people I mentioned and the uh. Well, the uh, few bodies. I wonder how many people are left in this town to save." She shakes her head as if though she was trying to physically remove a bad thought from her head. "Uh yeah, this way then." Rebeca begins walking towards where she last saw prism and the little girl.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:55 am

"Stop that!" Prism didn't know what was going on, she only knew that it was somehow, horribly, wrong. The corner was all wrong, too. It was dark, where there should have been light. Okay, then. I can... like... fix that?

She wasn't quite sure how things were going to work out, but she was going to try. "Ridiculous rainbow powers, activate!" Saying that probably wasn't necessary, but Prism figured that if she was actually doing the hero thing with her totally useless rainbow abilities, she could say whatever she wanted. Right?

Like, there wasn't anyone there to stop her, anyway.

Prism was supposed to be stopping the other person, though. She cast one of her most dazzling rainbows between the old woman and the Corner of Gloom, hoping that might stop the attack, either by blocking it entirely (like, that would have been super convenient, right?), or by just breaking line of sight... or just by being pure distraction. Sometimes, a distraction was all that was needed.

And sometimes all that was needed was a little light. Prism looked at the corner, and considered her power. The ability to divide light up, right? But what if she did it... backwards? What if she, like, took all the light and put it together? She was already doing it, even as she thought of it, casting light and combining it, not breaking it apart into components, but bringing it together, focusing it all, making it bright and intense, and aiming it directly at the corner. "I don't know who you are... but you totally need to lighten up!"
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:27 pm

retrorocet wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:30 am
"Well, I saw a woman and a child over towards the town and two men loading up coffins that way." Rebecca pointed her finger towards the places she was talking about. "We should probably find the woman and the kid first." Rebeca thought for a moment more. Her face drawn into a frown. "Also, the streets are empty. Well other than the people I mentioned and the uh. Well, the uh, few bodies. I wonder how many people are left in this town to save." She shakes her head as if though she was trying to physically remove a bad thought from her head. "Uh yeah, this way then." Rebeca begins walking towards where she last saw prism and the little girl.
Fortunately they did not travel far when they stumbled across a rainbow trail that literally led from one side of the town to the other. It's origins looked to start where the woman and girl had been talking and it ended at the steps of a creepy house on the edge of town...where a sudden flash of light erupted in one of the windows where only darkness had been visible before. In that flash of light the woman she had seen at the edge of town was suddenly visible before the light died back down again, framed in a doorway.

Static crisped the air as if something significant was building towards conclusion and the tension was becoming physically noticeable. So significant was the static charge in the air it began to crackle off of lamp posts and other metallic surfaces, sparking like a rug on a dry evening. The lights in the town's streets dimmed, though they remained on.

The figure in the darkness hissed and snarled at the sudden flare of light and her attack on the old woman suddenly stopped. The woman collapsed to the ground, ten years older but very much alive. The second flare of light didn't have the same impact on the umbral shrouded figure. Her vision had switched to one not reliant upon light. What her light did though was finally reveal the heart of darkness. The beam penetrated the dark shroud, it's overwhelming concentrating breaking the low level illusion to reveal the darkness wasn't darkness at all, it had been all in the mind and Prism's certainty of light makes right cast it aside. The beam continued and punched the figure in the corner straight in the chest. It probably should have incapacitated her or even killed her with the intensity of it, but it washed off of her clothing as if it were armor, leaving behind strange spider webbing that made the black cloth look less like cloth and more like something hard.

There was a teenage girl in an old wooden throne. She wore a silver helm over her hair and the cables she had seen running across the floor plugged into it, as well as sockets in the cloth of her clothing along her arms and spine. Prism was no expert in science, but a teenage girl knew WIFI and Internet devices when she saw one..and that was what she was looking at...cables and devices meant to provide WiFi connections and internet access plugged straight into the being seated in the chair. Her face looked innocent...her eyes...her purple eyes were filled with unspeakable malice and unending hunger. There was something else in her eyes too...years...so many of them.

Whatever her throne machine was doing, it was building power at a rapid rate now. Electrical output danced erratic courses along the exteriors of the internet cables. Energy sparked from equipment scattered across the room and flared along the girl's fingertips and helmet.

"You should run. Now." The girl/monster spoke in the voice of an innocent teen girl. She grabbed a smart phone from the throne arm, tapped her fingers to it and swiped it with unusual violence in Prism's direction. A pause icon flew from the phone and trailed a purple path straight for Prism.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Prism hadn't been able to save the old woman from being hurt... but she'd saved her from something worse. It wasn't a complete victory, but Prism was beginning to wonder if there even was such a thing as a complete victory.

Of course there is! There had to be! Otherwise this would be, like, totally pointless! And it wasn't totally pointless, because the old woman was still alive - so that mattered. It mattered a lot. The light brushed away the darkness, leaving the corner nothing but a...girl. Like, seriously, she was maybe Prism's age? What was even up with that? Her eyes, though...

Her eyes were not the eyes of a girl Prism's age. And all the wires and cables... that didn't look human at all. It was like she was using herself as some sort of modem or router. Electricity sparked along the cables, and Prism had seen enough sci fi movies and tech support reports to know that that was never a good sign.
"You should run. Now."
That sounded like a great idea, but if Prism ran, it wouldn't help these people - and these people definitely needed some help. No. She wasn't going to run. No way. That didn't mean, though, that when the... thing... in the chair reached for a phone, Prism wasn't going to move very quickly. She didn't really know why, other than that she'd spent enough time thinking about superheroes to know that nothing was ever innocuous, and even your average teenage girl could do a lot of damage with a cell phone. Look at all the cyberbullying stuff these days, after all.

She didn't know what to expect, but she got out of the way before she ended up being the next instagram meme, surprised to see something purple shoot out of the phone to where she'd been standing. A... sign? It was like a pause button on a video! "Hey!" she objected, "I am not a YouTube sensation!"

Well... she kinda was, but only in her mild-mannered (haha, yeah right) persona of Kelly Sanderson, hostess of the Rainbow Report.

Prism, on the other hand, was just a superhero. Her light ray had done pretty well, she thought, but it wasn't enough. It was bright, intense... but I've gotta do something about all those wires and things. Like, what, though? Unplug them? She wasn't fast enough, especially if she was probably going to need to be dodging phone symbols. No, she couldn't do that. What could her totally useless rainbow powers actually do?

Focus! I gotta focus!

...She had to... no, wait! That was it! Focus! Because she could focus the light and make it really bright... and she could separate it out. So she just had to get the right wavelength, and make it really, really, super strong. She brought it all together, raising her hand with a gesture, and pushed the light together into a red beam. A laser beam.

Prism gave her opponent a sunny smile, and lowered the beam towards the mass of wires along the left side of the fancy chair. "Time to cut the cable!"
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Concord

Post by Concord » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Following her lead Concord could help but also note the lack of civilians anywhere in the area. Why this town had been chosen he didn't know, the place hadn't stuck him as anywhere special, but perhaps it was because it was so mundane. The only way to find the answer would be to find whoever had done this, yet as they approached the scene where the woman claimed to have seen others it was deserted much like the rest of the town. The only sign that something had been there were some streams of color leading to the other end of the town.

He gave a frustrated sigh, it was seeming like every lead was one that led nowhere. Scratching his chin his eyes followed the trail of light, it ended at a building however it was quite a trek off. Yet there wasn't much else to go off of, they would simply have to hoof it. "Suppose we should follow this huh? He said to his partner before making his way to the home. Hopefully, this one led somewhere.