I can fix that (closed)

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

I can fix that (closed)

Post by illirica » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:52 pm

They had ended up in a small town in Missouri, in a mobile home park. After some discussion, it had become clear that 'mobile home' around here actually referred to a trailer pulled behind a truck, and not a four-legged spider-mech that got up and went somewhere else when it wanted.

But it fit on the lot, and the owner had decided not to argue - especially once it was established that his new tenants actually paid rent on time. The neighbors thought they were weirdos, but within a couple weeks it had shifted from "those weirdos" to "our weirdos." Kir fixed things, and didn't care too much about what form payment took. Cash, scrap metal, half a deer someone had hunted, a sack of handed-down but still perfectly good clothes for his niece, he could be flexible. The cars in the trailer park were a lot better maintained since he'd started living there, certainly.

And Miei... charmed everyone, just by being herself. Kir didn't think she'd had a lot of opportunities to do that. She'd always had to hide things, keep secrets... but no one cared here, and she'd seemed to unfold into the person she'd been hiding all along. Their neighbors knew she had some special abilities, but heroes were a dime a dozen, and being a kid who could call a wrench to her hand with a thought was actually much less notable than being a kid who knew how to use the wrench once she had it.

He'd turned her into quite the shop assistant. She learned quickly, and she had little fingers - and special abilities - that could tackle small jobs in tight places, and she loved nothing more than to be upside-down, wedged under something, covered in grease. Dressed in ribbons and lace. He'd offered to get her some coveralls, and she had given him a Look that she had obviously picked up from the human kids, and used her telekinetic abilities to separate the grease from her clothing and leave them spotless.

After that, he'd just let her wear what she liked. Right now they were outside, tinkering on one of the rear legs of their mobile home. It worked just fine, of course, but they were improving it. He had some ideas about how to make it go faster, and half-hummed a sustained note under his breath, trying to make the ideas in his head become reality.

Miei sat on the grass, watching him curiously, and passing tools. She was watching the rest of the neighborhood, and that was why she was the one who noticed when Xae arrived. She felt her, long before she entered the park, and took a moment to stand up and "brush" the dirt out of her clothes, although there was a streak of grease across her cheek that she left alone. That was different. That was more like a mechanic's badge. She made sure the tools were near her uncle, and went to sit on the front leg to wait.

LunaHawk

Re: I can fix that (closed)

Post by LunaHawk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Xae, or Gale Xanders as the rest of the trailer park would know her, had been able to keep tabs on their location and eventually decided a visit to check on their lrogo was in order. That...was going to draw attention, billionaires just didn't pull up to trailer parks on a crotch rocket motorcycle that cost more than... probably the trailer park...on a daily basis. The sleek black machine absolutely purred as she pulled up. At first the immediate neighborhood had no idea who she was, then she activated the support stand and removed her helmet. She was glad he lived in southern Missouri closer to Kansas City. St.Louis fans, and she often divided the country by NFL team fan bases, were still pissed about the whole moving the team thing. Even if half of them still secretly watched games. Here she'd just be known as a team owner, not the queen bitch from Hell.

That though still brought it's fair number of surprised stares, well that and the motorcycle, and the absurdly attractive body sheathed in black leather. She smiled and waved to on Lookers before she walked towards the mobile...spider? She smiled again at the sight of the little hatchling he'd brought halfway across the universe, more actually, an act that had drawn her attention almost more than his being male. Certainly it was a mark in his favor. The Civil War veteran placed her helmet on the nearest object capable of holding it."It's good to see you again Miei. I was in the area and thought I'd stop by."

That was pretty much true, she owned a house within forty five minutes of here, along with the vehicle she'd arrived on. That she was here to make sure they were safe and no one was bothering them wasn't said, but the hatchling was smart enough to know that. That she was also here to "spend time" with her uncle, well, that also went unsaid.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 pm

"No, you came to the area on purpose," Miei said, factually, completely unoffended. "I don't mind. I'm glad to see you." She hopped up, and went over to Xae, walking past her and crouching down next to the motorcycle, peering at various parts. "My uncle is Working," she said, somehow with a capital W. Whatever that meant, though, she didn't elaborate, instead running small hands over the motorcycle, and then climbing up on top of it as if she were not a small child who could barely reach the handlebars - and only then if she leaned forward a lot.

Miei didn't seem to mind in the slightest. "This is neat. Can I take it apart?" She thought it unlikely, as Xae had refused to let her take her car apart last time. "I fixed your phone," she added, as if this would be the convincing factor. "At least, mostly. But then my uncle took it while he was Working on something and now it's part of a control panel. I think it regulates map data and tracks incoming signals over the cellular and wireless networks and monitors the temperature for the engine koi."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:59 am

She smiled approvingly when the hatchling pointed out the obvious and watched her climb onto the bike. It was supported by a hydraulic stand, there was no reason to believe it could fall over, especially not with her weight on it. She cocked her head slightly on the W emphasis but let it go for now, glancing in his general direction before returning her attention to his niece.

"Another time." She promised her, just like with the car. She reached into a pouch though and removed a small remote control. With a few expert presses of buttons a hatch opened on the side of the motorcycle and a drone deployed, four rapidly spinning turbines carrying it aloft on thrumming engines. She landed it at the base of the bike. There was nothing much to set it apart from most store bought drones, except that it was a high end drone capable of more than flying around and crashing into walls. She walked over to the bike and offered her the remote. "I did bring this specifically for you to take apart though." She had her own drones, they were...less affordable. If you could call this one affordable.

"Your uncle is a resourceful male." She said approvingly. "And you're adaptive, that's good, because he's not as adaptive as he thinks he is and will need your help, as I'm sure you've already noticed." She did not remark on Miei's obvious intelligence with machines and local data, hatchlings learned fast in the right environment and could easily adapt to changes in cultures and societies, specifically because they weren't set in their ways yet. Unlike Xae.

"Is everyone here treating you well?" She wondered with a glance towards the neighborhood that suggested she didn't entirely trust it, though it had nothing to do with income level and everything to do with not trusting people in general, at least not very easily.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 pm

"Everyone here is great," Miei answered cheerfully, "They only think I'm a little bit weird." She shifted on the motorcycle, turning the handle as if to rev the engine and trying to turn the wheel a little bit, despite the vehicle being parked. "Actually they think my uncle is weirder, but they don't tell him that because he fixes stuff."

There was a sensation of the remote being taken from Xae's hand, although Miei was still holding on to the motorcycle. It floated in front of her, and the turbines on the drone started spinning, lifting it a few inches off of the ground. It wobbled slightly, then rose to hover over Miei. "Neat," she proclaimed, sitting up to pluck the remote from the air and turning it over. "But what's this part for?"

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm

"What's so weird about your uncle?" Xae wondered with the slightest cocking of her head. She was no surprised they were being treated well, they had chosen a good place to settle down. Though plenty of the wealthy would turn their nose up at trailer park inhabitants, Xae had lived all over the country and all over the economic spectrum. She knew the working class well.

"That is for people who don't have your gifts so they can control the device." She answered. "Most people you meet won't have your abilities, so they have to use other ways to interact with machines... and well, Human technology has a long way to go compared to what you're used to."

Xae had seen the human leaps in technology first hand, lived through them, but they were basically cavemen compared to even her uncle's old ship. Xae had studied scraps from Vai's craft, the technology difference was incomprehensible. Even for her, the principals were the same as what she had known, taken to all new degrees.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 pm

"Hmm." Miei stood up on the motorcycle, bouncing once and then jumping off to the ground. She pulled a screwdriver out of her pocket, and started working on the remote control, apparently having decided to do it the slow way this time rather than drop it entirely in to pieces like she had the last time Xae had met her. She was still doing things a little differently, though, because each piece she pulled off simply hovered near her, waiting its turn for her attention. "Humans are a little weird, you know that?"

Miei seemed to have ignored the first question entirely, but once the remote was sufficiently dissembled, she gave Xae a smile, and nodded over to where her uncle was working. "Come on. Quietly, though. It's more fun if he doesn't realize." She skipped over to him, apparently secure in the belief that whatever she did wouldn't interrupt.

Kir was still fiddling with the leg, immersed in a tangle of wiring. After a moment, he glanced up in Miei's direction, gesturing with a wrench. "That one." Miei plucked one of the pieces of the deconstructed remote out of the air and handed it to him, and he quickly slotted it into a place within the leg. "Copper wire. Eighteen centimeters. Eighteen point one six." Miei popped open a toolbox and found a spool of the requisite wire, cutting off a piece with a pair of wire cutters. She didn't need to measure any more than he did. He wrapped the wire around something inside, then grabbed a couple more pieces from Miei's remote cloud and added them to the mixture along with, oddly, a bit of rock he picked up off of the ground, part of a stick that he had Miei cut to exactly six centimeters, and a pink ribbon that had been laced through Miei's shoe. "That's good," he said eventually, backing off and shutting the panel, then glancing up. "Oh. Xae."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Xae noticed that she ignored the question but let it go. She followed the hatchling and waited quietly, watching the two work with a bemused expression. His hyper focus was endearing,had he been even slightly aware of his surroundings he would have detected her scent, heightened and enhanced as it was by mating season and her attraction to him it should have been even more obvious she was there. She smiled and waited.

To keep the silence she communicated to Miei telepathically while he worked. "Just wait until you get older, they're even weirder than you think." Her tone was not disrespectful for them, but their ways, even after so long, we're very strange to her. Of course to one of their species so long was relative.

Xae crossed her arms in that oh so female way to alert him he was in trouble when he finally noticed her, but after a moment she smiled and dropped them back to her sides."My, your nose really is buried in your work." She teased. "Miei informs me everyone here is great and Humans are weird but she's short on details. Maybe we could talk?" She asked, meaning not where everyone could hear. "It's good to see you." She added with a different tone than she'd used on Miei.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:33 pm

"Miei is short, in general," Kir answered, to which his niece stuck her tongue out at him. She was definitely picking up human habits. "It's good to see you, too. I've been..." he glanced up, in the direction of the body of his construction. "...Busy," he settled on. He looked at his niece, and the cloud of remaining random parts surrounding her. "What is all this?"

"It's most of a remote control," she answered cheerfully.

Kir considered this information. "Where's the rest of it?" Miei smiled, and pointed to the leg he'd been working on. "Oh. One of those..."

Miei giggled. "He doesn't know," she said, for Xae's benefit, "He sees things in his head and makes them fit together and then he can't explain why they work. And then he says I'm the weird one."

Kir reached out and messed up her hair. "You are the weird one," he said agreeably. "Come on inside," he said to Xae, "It's not much, but it'll be a place to sit down." He reached up and touched something, and a set of stairs resolved from the underbelly, leading up into a small, multipurpose room. Lines on the walls showed where a pair of bunks obviously would fold down, but right now it seemed to be in a "daytime" configuration, with a couple panels pulled down at "table" and "chairs" height. Miei solved the numerical seating issues by fetching a three-legged wooden stool that had probably been made on Earth a good century ago, and claiming it for her own.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Xae followed him up, taking in the view. Once inside she ignored the seating, examining the place with the eye of someone that knew much more about technology than she necessarily let on."My first room on Terra was half this size and I had to sleep on the floor because the priest didn't have any beds that could support my weight. This is Impressive work Kir. I can see how it works. You clearly do just fine without that."

Xae put her hands on the table and leaned forward to look outside. That was mostly for his visual benefit. "I like the multiple functionality and rugged construction, Terra can be extreme..." She glanced over her shoulder at him. "How's the environmental system?"

It occurred to her they'd yet to experience the insane climate of Missouri. She smirked, which might look flirtatious but was out of amusement. She stood again and finally took the available seat. "And if you don't mind maybe filling me in on your experience so far? I'd like to be any help I can"