I can fix that (closed)

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: I can fix that (closed)

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:21 pm

"...Thanks," he said, hesitantly, in the tone of someone not really used to sharing his work, or hearing it praised. "Most of this room's not too hard to understand," he added. "Just basic compact-living stuff. Miei helped with a lot of it," he added, with a fond smile for the kid. She'd come a long way, his little helper.

"Environmental system should be good. I think the whole thing has combat functionality. Should be able to survive dust, wind, vacuum, explosions, temperatures up to 300 degrees..."

"Safety first!" Miei half-interrupted cheerfully, with a giggle.

Kir glanced over at her briefly, then realized he was probably overdoing it, and shrugged apologetically. "Ah. Well. I'm used to getting in to scrapes. It seemed like a good idea at the time." He took the other seat, glancing down and out the open hatch for a moment. "I guess it's been good so far. I can fix almost anything, so I've just been hiring myself out for general mechanics. People always need that sort of thing, so it's been easy to find work. I do a lot of trading for parts - plenty of times humans have bits of things that they don't know how to fix up or don't know what they're good for, so it's not that hard to get raw materials... and once we figured out that Miei can refine-" He broke off, suddenly, his instinct not to talk about things telekinetic with other Reptonians momentarily overriding the conversation. Kir knew it wasn't an issue, though, and moved on, "-Refine materials, it was just a matter of collections. We moved out here a couple months ago. It took some time for people to get used to us, but they seem fine with us now."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:05 pm

"Good... Humans can be weird, but overall they're good people. Some places are more culture shock than others but I think you picked a good place. It sounds like you've thought about a lot of scenarios in building this thing, but what about during the winter? Last year this part of Missouri reached four degrees three days in a row." She smiled.

She watched his body language for a moment and nodded a little to herself. "I get the feeling there's been some culture shock already. The locals have very different customs around male/female relationships than we do. Everything ok?" She'd seen the pause, the hesitation that hadn't been there for Miei, and the way he looked outside. He was less sure of things. Xae figured given how things worked a d the amount of time he'd been here, he'd probably had at least one experience with a human female. The difference in customs could be... shocking. Especially when they got all mad.

Xae remembered one time when one sexual partner had killed the other in a gun fight. After that she'd been more careful. Then there was age... she'd have to warn him about that. The rest, well, she'd be here if he needed it. She smiled again, with care this time."I am here for you both Kir, if anything comes up or something is wrong, I'd like to think of.us as friends, with everything that entails."

She removed a plastic tube of opaque liquid from her belt and passed it across the table. "I don't want more hatchlings just now. I synthsized birth control for you from the sample you gave me. You won't need it with humans. I'm already on mine."

She smiled at Miei "I should have you two out to my place sometime, if you can keep yourself from refining any minerals or taking apart my entertainment center."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 pm

"Things are fine," Kir said, maybe a little shortly, in the tone of someone who wasn't really interested in having that particular discussion. Truthfully, he'd spent quite a long time alone, blockade running. It hadn't been hard for him to sit back for a while and figure out how things worked before trying to get involved.

I bet Vai didn't. He smiled at that thought, amused. No, that one definitely seemed like she'd probably jumped straight into the rift. Maybe that was why Xae was... mothering him. That was amusing, too. He turned his smile on her. "Really," he assured her. "I'm fine. I can take care of myself. Don't worry."

Human culture was interesting. So much stricter about some things, so much more liberal about others. He was still deciding what he wanted to take part in. There really wasn't any rush, from his perspective.

Besides, of all people, Kir certainly knew how to be careful.

Miei watched this little interchange quietly, thoughtful, but not commenting. Even she knew better than to comment on some things. "I'd like to see your place," she said cheerfully, "And I'm sure I could find something else to take apart." She was not... entirely... serious. Mostly.

Although, she probably could.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Xae caught his tone and laughed at herself. It was a pretty laugh, rare too. She smiled. Yes he was a good choice.
"I'm sorry I was acting like you were Vai. She absolutely wrecks hearts on this planet." Enough secrets, friends told each other things and... she was tired of secrets, keeping them was hard work. "I wasn't any better. I changed when two males got in a gun fight over me in Texas, 1868. One of them died. I chose this planet to die on during the Exodus at the end of my life span, my family went on. Vai is related to me by one of my hatchlings. It all went fine until some idiots with a spell book tried to summon Satan 65 million years later."

Xae shrugged. "Don't let me treat you that way again. I'm just lonely and this is the first time in a long time I've had others of our species around. I don't want that to change."

"Alright, it's a deal, you're both coming to my place when it's convenient for you." She responded to Miei. She considered a moment. "You know, there is a science museum nearby, lots of mechanical stuff to see."

She looked at Kir a moment but decided to hold her next question a bit longer.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Kir tilted his head slightly at the first statement. Summon... Satan? From her tone, though, she'd been serious. He looked over at Miei, who shrugged, in the she's telling the truth sort of way. Kir wasn't exactly sure how that could be the truth, but he trusted Miei's judgment. He just had no idea what to make of that comment. "It's all right," he brushed it aside, "I imagine she keeps you busy." He had a mental image of Xae running about after Vai much in the same way that he tried to keep up with his niece. It was definitely an amusing image, and also definitely one he was going to share. With either one of them.

"It's okay, Xae," Miei said, in her small, quiet voice, her accent shifted as she'd done before, a mirror of Xae's own, "I'm not going anywhere. You don't have to be alone again." She was watching Xae, with a very intense, focused look in her eyes. "You can be one of my people. I'll take care of you."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:53 am

Xae was about to say he had no idea but then she glanced at Miei and grinned. "I'm sure you don't have to imagine it." Not that she spent a ton of time around Vai, but she assuredly kept tabs on her. She watched Miei for a moment, interested by the look, uncertain what to make of it. For once she let her uncertainty go. Instead she smiled appreciatively at the hatchling, glad for the sentiment if nothing else.

"I'm glad to have you both here." She said genuinely. "So Kir, Miei, tell me about your baby here." She patted the hull behind her. "I built my own armor but it's nothing like this...and no one builds anything like this that doesn't plan to take part in... let's call it heroing. I think that's actually the term among some crowds." She asked, cocking her head slightly.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:55 am

"It's not my baby," Kir said, defensively.

Miei rolled her eyes towards the ceiling, just like a little human girl, and rocked her three-legged stool back until it tipped over. Her ability caught her before she fell, though, and she giggled. Kir didn't even blink at this behavior, apparently it was pretty common for her to topple herself halfway to the floor. She righted the stool and hopped down off of it. "Come on," she said, "Look. The table folds up against the wall. The chairs do, too, when you're not sitting on them. The beds are over here. Mine's the one on top." A button on the wall unfolded the bed, neatly tucked in with a pink blanket. "And there's places for clothes and preserved food storage and my uncle says it tastes better than ration bars but I don't believe him because if that were true, the whole military would quit. But that's all boring. Come on, I'll show you the fun stuff."

Kir sat up, as if coming out of a trance. "Miei, are you sure-"

"Yes."

They stared at each other for a minute, then he walked over and put a hand on her head, gently. "All right," he said, softly. "...All right."

She didn't want to hide. She wanted to let the whole world know what she was... and she believed that she'd found the one world where she could do it. Kir wasn't so sure... but he couldn't say no to her. He walked over to the hatch that divided the living quarters from the command center, and placed a hand on the panel beside it to open the door. "Come on forward."

The command center bore quite a bit of resemblance to his blockade runner's cockpit, with a pilot's and copilot's chair and a series of instrument panels, all apparently functioning smoothly. Various screens displayed environmental data, other screens were blank for the time being.

Nonstandard, of course, was the lighted semi-cylindrical niche in the far wall, with cables carefully coiled on hooks along its interior. Xae probably had no idea what that meant... but the pink plastic stepstool on the floor would have been, to Vai, an extremely disturbing indicator.

Miei skipped over to the display panel, though, and started telling Xae all about the various controls. Kir had a feeling she was trying to show off that she knew what they all did, and smiled, and let her continue her impromptu tour. He couldn't help but laugh when she warned Xae, in a very serious tone, "We don't tell the neighbors about the plasma guns."

"I don't know that we really plan on taking the 'hero' route," he said, thinking back to Xae's earlier comment, "But... I figured we ought to have something set up, just in case."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:23 am

Xae followed them, her eyes briefly widening at the control room. She looked very much like she wanted to explore it all but she let Miei guide the tour instead. She smiled listening intently, her eyes tracing over everything in the room. They lingered on the little alcove and only when Miei was done talking did she walk over to it, fingers tracing over a cable or two. She had no idea what they were for, despite her intelligence and obvious scientific and engineering background, this was one of those items of technology that was light years ahead of anything she was familiar with. Even the theory of CETB systems had taken generations to develop and those generations came long after the Exodus which had been a fleet of ships comprised almost more of hope than solid engineering at times. In fact, even the basic Anti-matter reactor, old as it was, that had powered Kir's ship was well ahead of her time, though she herself was fully familiar with such reactors and their construction. It's just that his was more akin to a super car and what she was familiar with was more like a Model T, if one were to compare the two in such a way.

She let the cable go and smiled a little, turning back to face the two of them. "I don't tell the neighbors about my plasma gun either." She agreed with the important of keeping that secret and though she was armed as Gale Xanders, the weapons were decidedly Human. She looked at Kir and nodded a little. "You're right...and I also know that you consider this community yours and may find yourself defending it one day." She didn't say how terribly exciting all of this technology he'd put together was, Xae didn't often meet someone, males included, she felt was on a similar if different level to her when it came to engineering. She didn't have to tell him though, he would know.

"I'm impressed." She told them both honestly. "You two make a great team." She shape shifted her wings into reality. There was so much body language that was lost without them. She shifted them slightly so they rested close together. "The ingenuity here is really incredible Kir." Though she'd complimented them both, the tone and words of the second compliment were entirely meant for him. "I've never seen anything like it at all." She smiled, her wings shifted apart a little and the gap that closed this time was between the two of them, though not completely. "Thank you for the tour Miei, I can see how proud of it you are."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:00 pm

"You're welcome," Miei said cheerfully. "We're going to be the best superhero team there is!" Despite Kir's previous statement that they weren't going to be heroes, it was obvious that Miei had other ideas. "We're going to save all the people. Then Kir can help me be a floating city where they can live, and it's going to be awesome, and-"

"Slo-o-o-w down, there, squirt," Kir advised, breaking in to a plan for the future that he'd obviously heard a few different times, in a few different iterations. Miei had big dreams, but not ones that he thought were necessarily practical, or even good ideas. "This is fine for now. Even back home they don't do that stuff with kids. Besides," he added, with a grin, "I thought we'd earn enough money from fixing things and then buy a farm and raise corn."

"You did not! You wouldn't!"

"Maybe I would," he teased, "Plenty of corn around here, after all."

"Corn is stupid! You can't even eat it!" She folded little arms across her chest, and gave him a determined scowl. "You be a farmer. I'm gonna go live with Xae."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Xae smirked. Hatchlings Xae crouched down, her wings shifting into a half furled position for additional balance. Now on more or less eye level with Miei she watched her with a slightly cocked head. "Do you really think your uncle could ever stand farming? He's more likely to go into business with Vai building the biggest repair shop ever seen. As for corn, corn is perfectly useful, a lot of it feeds animals that taste good." She grinned at the last.

Xae put her finger and thumb together and pulled them apart, creating a holographic window that floated in the air on its own accord. She pulled at the corners to expand it into something roughly the size of a small tablet screen. The three dimensional display was of a buffalo. "Though just between you and me, I prefer these fed on grass. Once, not so long ago, there were so many of these in the wild a running herd felt like an Earthquake. The world has a way of changing a lot, you have to run and roll with the changes. Don't rush into all your plans at once, it took humans thousands of years to decide slavery was bad, and a war to put the final nail in its official coffin. They like to grow in fits and starts."

She set the buffalo rotating slowly. "I like to divide my plans into immediate, mid term and long term. My immediate plans are the ones you see. They're things like building the power dampener in Solar City, making a football team better, expanding eco centric technology and so on. Worry about the hero part first, the city can come later, when people are ready for it. You live a lot longer than they do." Her smile faded a little. She'd lost a lot of good friends to old age. A lot of them. She stood up and glanced at Kir. At least now I have some that will be here in eighty years.