I can fix that (closed)

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: I can fix that (closed)

Post by illirica » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:56 am

"How long are you gonna live?" Miei asked, either precociously or just with a complete lack of social awareness. Kir had noticed that the borderline between those two things was pretty hazy, sometimes, with her. He hadn't really thought about the question, but now that she asked, it was an interesting one. Xae was obviously not from the current era, and he wasn't exactly sure what she'd gone through to get here, what things had been like before she'd gotten... whatevered. And whether any of that had anything to do with what was going to happen to her next.

It seemed, though, like she was at least planning on being around for a while. It was kind of strange, really, how Xae was older than Vai, and yet Kir was fairly certain that as far as long-term planning went, Xae was the one who'd bothered to think about it, and Vai was still very much living in the moment. A maturity thing, he expected. Well, he'd been young once, too.

It just hadn't lasted.

That was an old ache, though. He let it fade, and focused on the present. He hadn't really thought about a long-term plan yet. Right now, he was just focused on the present. Getting themselves established as people. Getting Miei established. Letting her... grow. She was growing into an interesting person. And her mother would absolutely kill him, if she ever knew half the things they'd done.

And yet... and yet. It was what she wanted.

But did that mean it was right? He glanced over to Miei's alcove. She hadn't panicked, when Xae had touched her cable. He'd been worried, for a minute... but Miei must trust Xae quite a lot, not to have panicked. He wondered if Xae had any idea.

Probably not.

And that was... probably... for the best.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Xae gave her a bemused look. "Near as I can tell I should have the full and expected life span. Not many people get to live ten thousand years twice." She smiled but Kir's adult eyes would pick out the small self directed lie in the smile. She stood, her wings folding onto her back again in the process. "You'll have to put up with me for a long time yet."
She looked at him and stopped for a moment, catching the emotional microexpressions as he thought back.

She gave him a smile of understanding. "Miei, do you mind terribly if your Uncle and I talk alone for a few minutes?"

What for humans could have been code for sex was not in this case, Reptonians, particularly from Xae's time didn't care much for privacy or hiding the existence of sex from hatchlings, she genuinely wanted to talk to him alone for a few minutes. Xae waited to see her response, giving her an assuring look that everything was fine and no one was in trouble.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm

"Good," Miei said, at Xae's revelation. "I like you." She hopped up and went back to the hatchway. "I'm gonna go play with your motorcycle," she added cheerfully, apparently deciding that was an acceptable substitute for listening in on whatever the adults had to say.

Kir watched her go and shrugged, figuring that Xae could be the one to stop her if she really wanted. For his part, he didn't think Miei would actually harm the motorcycle in the slightest. She was good about asking permission to take things apart, and if she didn't have permission, she'd often just look. "What's up?" he inquired, turning his attention to his guest.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:44 pm

"I don't really understand her abilities...or this..." She gestured to the alcove. "But I don't think you should tell Vai about any of it...not...for a bit yet. She's, well you met her. I don't know if she could accept it all yet. I got the impression last time that she was so happy to see you that she just let it go."

She smiled. "As for me, I don't care, I like the both of you. I have seen that you're very careful,but Miei is not, or doesn't seem to be to me. Just wanted to put it out there, I'm rather certain Vai will visit soon, if for no other reason than she's still not used to human males and has been complaining to me about them for weeks."

She smirked. "Just a hopeful caution I guess, I'm sure you know better than I about protecting this sort of thing. I just wanted to offer.some insiight into Vai."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 am

Kir touched a key on the console, and a panel slid smoothly in to place over the alcove, making it look no different from any other storage area on the ship. Indeed, he'd built another 'alcove' in to the other side behind a similar panel, which had some shelving that currently hosted a tangle of wires, spare parts, and excess tools. He sat down in the pilot's chair, leaning back. "I wasn't planning to mention it to Vai. She strikes me as... sheltered," he said, choosing his words carefully. Not that she hadn't seen anything - she was a pilot, after all. But her Core accent, her reaction to Miei... he had a feeling there was quite a lot about the universe that Vai didn't know, no matter how much she might think she did.

Some of that was probably youth... but not all of it. And he'd noticed that while Miei was entirely comfortable with Xae, she hadn't asked about Vai at all, or brought her up. And speaking of bringing things up... "Miei seems... very attached to you," he said, "I know, we've hardly met. But the way she acts around you isn't how she acts around everyone. She's much more cautious, even around the people around here. She's sweet and talkative, but she never uses more of her ability than it takes to lift a tool. Most of the neighbors think that her ability is incredibly minor, and we're... choosing to keep it that way. It's where we've met in the middle - she wants to be who she is, what she is, but we make sure that the reins are on enough that people around her feel safe. Because people around telekinetics not feeling safe is a big part of why we're... not home. I don't know how much Vai has told you." He didn't know how much he wanted to say, either. "There was an entire war, once." Ancient history, to him, but it wouldn't be to Xae. "And there have been... incidents. In a way, Vai is right to be concerned. People like Miei can cause a lot of destruction, unrestrained. And people like her will fight, with everything they have, for people they care about."

His gaze met hers, unflinching. He wasn't talking about himself, at the last. He had no doubt that anything happening to Xae would greatly upset Miei... and for a powerful telekinetic, "greatly upset" was not a state that was healthy for them. Or for anyone around them.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:08 am

Xae nodded to his assessment of Via. She cocked her head slightly and listened intently to his history lesson, it was an interesting revelation, but she could see why it might have happened. "I'm glad to hear she's being careful it worried me to see her so open about everything. Terra is better about some things than we are, at least when it comes to understanding...but it's terrible about a lot of other things and sometimes when you think Humans might be open minded, you find out they're not. I think Vai will run into a lot of disappointment before she settles down. She has these ideas of justice...ideas that I share...but Humans..." She made a dismissive motion with her hand. "They complicate things that should be black and white, then make other things black and white that should be complicated." No doubt Kir would know what she meant.

She smiled a little. "I have made a career of establishing something of our justice on this planet. I have enemies, I'll probably have more long from now. I'm not afraid and, I can take care of myself, just as you two can." She assured him gently. "I will keep in mind what you said though." She conceded. Xae watched him and then crossed the distance. She straddled his lap and slid down into it, placing her hands on his shoulders. Her wings furled around him. "But Kir, I'm done talking, I've been stuck with Human males for more than two hundred years. Remind me what I've been missing."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:09 am

"Ah," he said, sagely. "I can fix that."