But Can You Fix This? (Closed RP)

Roleplay locations.
LunaHawk

But Can You Fix This? (Closed RP)

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:56 am

After the ordeal in Nebraska Vai had found her way to a small hotel in Missouri on the trek back to Washington, which had its own ordeal going on just now. She put in a call to Kir, who was now living not terribly far away and asked if he'd mind coming by. The hotel had a little pool and it was nice outside so she stood quietly in the doorway, watching people at the pool and debating if she wanted to join them or not.

Vai was half dressed for the pool and half dressed for tanning...an activity she thought was somewhat useless but seemed to attract a lot of attention when done properly. She cocked her head and wondered if it mattered much. She was beginning to see that Humans were not what she had hoped after her talks with Xae. She breathed, trying to remind herself that not everyone could be judged on one town. It was like judging a whole species on a backwater...in fact that's exactly what she would have been doing. In the heat of the moment, she'd felt like they could basically all go to hell.

Now that she'd had some time to think about it, she still felt like none of them deserved any grand reward, Chevron was being talked up in the news like he was some big hero. She'd rolled her eyes at that one. His actions contributed to the death of a hatchling and he'd managed to do what...save a town full of people that spent most of their time dragging down and ruining the lives of others?

Well...Humanity was its own species with its own customs and beliefs and though she strongly disagreed with most of it, she didn't spend her time trying to interject into most of it either. She had left the people in that town alone for a reason. Human justice demanded different actions than her own would have. It was the same reason she'd simply found something else to do while she was visiting Xae and there was that big parade in San Fransico. If the Humans wanted to practice things that didn't make any sense, that was their choice.

That didn't mean she had to agree with it...and it didn't mean she'd always be as forgiving of it as she could be. She thought about that town in Nebraska again and shook her head. At least Kir was normal, a little fringy and all that entailed but normal. Miei was a different matter that she let Xae take lead on because...

Well...because Kir was the only male of her species within something like a bajillion light years and she didn't want to go and piss him off permanently. Also because she wasn't the government and there was no government to report her too. Still, the hatchling was dangerous, someone should keep an eye on her.

Today though...she just wanted to talk to someone who might understand.

So she waited and watched Human hatchlings play in the swimming pool.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: But Can You Fix This? (Closed RP)

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 pm

It had been a while since they'd first met. Kir hadn't really invested too much in getting in touch with the others - he'd come here because he didn't want to be around... well, people like Vai. It was people like her that were the reason he'd had to bring Miei here in the first place, so he wasn't about to go rushing after her.

Besides, they'd been busy. He'd built their home from the ground up, and if it also happened to be an attack mech... well, that wasn't something the neighbors needed to know about. There were, to be honest, a lot of things the neighbors didn't need to know about.

That didn't make them bad neighbors, though. Good people, most of them, really. They'd quietly mentioned a few really weird potential legal stopups when he'd been leaving Miei on her own, which were, in his opinion, absolutely ridiculous. His niece could probably level a city if she wanted to, she'd be perfectly fine on her own for a few hours. The neighbors were understanding, though. A lot of them worked odd hours or multiple jobs. The kids often had to fend for themselves, and no one bothered to report that sort of thing as long as the kids got fed. They looked out for each other. The guy next door had just said "Well, if you're gonna leave her alone, better teach her how to shoot."

Kir found that amusing. He wasn't going to teach Miei how to use a firearm, though. It would have been somewhat superfluous. And... she knew how to use the plasma guns on the ship. Not that the neighbors knew about those. Probably with good reason.

Still, when Vai had called him and asked him to meet up with her, he wasn't going to say no. He'd left Miei with injunctions to go to bed at a decent hour, which she would ignore until she fell asleep on the floor, and he'd pick her up and tuck her in when he got back. The hotel wasn't hard to find, and Vai was down by the swimming area. Kir sat down on a lounge chair next to her, idly. "Evening."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:54 pm

"Hi Kir." Vai said, she glanced around for Miei but didn't see her. She wasn't surprised, part of her wondered why it bothered her that she wasn't with him. She offered him a glass of something alcoholic from the table beside where she had finally chosen to sit. "They call this laying out. Apparently it's a thing." She smiled."As far as things go it's not half bad, good.way to catch a male for the night and an even better way to warm yourself in the sun" What was a cold blooded person without a nice place to sun?

"Did you see the thing about Nebraska on the news?" She asked after a moment. "I tried to help out but...I don't know if there was really anyone worth helping." She sighed. "What are the people like where you live Kir?" The struggle for her to come to terms with humanity was clear enough on her face. Nebraska had really bothered her, though for now she kept most of it from her words. The whole experience didn't sit well with her and she wasn't sure what to make of it. She also wanted someone other than Xae to chime in...Xae was...well she was from a different time and had already been here for a bit.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:00 pm

"I heard about Nebraska," he confirmed. "Not too much, though. I try not to let Miei watch too much of that stuff. It gives her ideas." Ideas like "Let's go be superheroes and save the world!" She was very... enthusiastic. Like any child, Miei thought saving the world was just a matter of showing up and saying the right things. She'd learn, in time... but for now, he kind of liked her the way she was.

"People where we live are... good. They work hard. Most of 'em. Don't get a lot in return, but they make do. It's a bit like living on the fringe, to be honest." Not that Vai knew anything about that, of course. "How about you? You happy with where you settled down?"

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:53 pm

He's redirecting me...oh well

"Washington DC? It's not bad, honestly I think a lot of people there would like a lot fewer tourists. Most of them seem like good people. In fact a few days ago this old guy came in with a car that looked like it had seen better days. I really only work on the expensive stuff and cars people want upgraded but he was so worried I worked on it anyway."

She thought about that. "It's sad, how they age.". She took a drink from her glass.

"But are there enough of them like that? Look at all the horrible crap they do to each other. Justice, if it comes at all, is expensive and can take an entire life, prisoners sit in cushy jails, it's not... I don't know what to think Kir, I want to help but Nebraska was a bunch of murderes and drug dealers, the supposed villain was just a young female using mishandled means to try and clean up a town the law can't be bothered with and the hero of the hour is the guy that didn't investigate, he just punched things. If he had known, bothered to communicate, that female's little sister wouldn't be dead."

She looked at him. "Is that what this is going to be? Because I don't want to help people who ruin families and destroy lives."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Kir reached across her, stealing her glass from the side table and taking a drink. Not half bad. Better than some of the batches he'd distilled in the back engine room of the Epitaph, anyway. Could use some improvement, though. He was going to have to get a still set up.

...Except now he had Miei tagging along, and she'd have... questions.

Well, she was going to have questions anyway. Maybe he'd set something up. "Who says you have to get involved in the big stuff, Vai?" he inquired, gesturing with the glass that was formerly hers, and fortifying himself with another drink of it. "I ran blockades for... well, longer than I like to admit. Government sanctioned? Definitely not. Heroic? Not really. But sometimes you can help out a little bit, and that makes it worthwhile. Other times you just get paid, go home, and plan to save the universe another day. Problem with you is you didn't live enough back home. You think this is the only place these sorts of things happen?"

He challenged her to think about it, but he didn't know if it would make an impact or not. Sheltered, he'd called her. "Look. You did what you could. Maybe it wasn't the right thing. Maybe it wasn't enough. But you did something. You can't save everyone." No... you definitely couldn't save everyone. Kir glanced down at the glass, and took another drink, for another time. "Sometimes, all you can do is try." And he was getting sidetracked. Back to the present, or at least the much-more-recent past. "And sometimes you just gotta show people how to be better than they are."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Vai watched her drink disappearing. Her eyes moved to him. He was easy on the eyes so she decided she didn't mind.

"I'm sorry." She said, she was sheltered but enough of a pilot to have seen that look before, and enough of one to not press for information. She considered his words. "Also you sound like a damn Sekari." She teased. "I want to help, I want to be there for good people but sometimes it feels like they're the minority. I could have tried to tell him telepathically,l maybe he would have stopped."

"Was it really like that out there?" She asked after a moment of silence. "Why don't people contact the military? That's why those patrols are out there. The government's job is to, in part, ensure the safety of the People. Can't do that if they're not told about problems."

It genuinely did not occur to her that people might not want the government so close. Reptonians didn't believe in welfare, they were a do it yourself or with friends society and if someone suffered for lack of trying that was their own problem... but nor were they a libertarian society, the power of the government, once called to action, was monolithic. Only one power could be more invasive on the fringe and sometimes they turned their eyes in the same direction as the government. None of this occurred to Vai because in the core the government was ever attentive and people that had something to hide...well... maybe they shouldn't. If someone drew THEIR attention, they clearly deserved it.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:55 pm

"People on the fringes don't think the military is people like you, Vai," Kir told her, taking her hand and folding it around the drink before he stole any more of it. "They think the military is people like that other guy. The one with all the explosions." He shrugged. "The truth is, the military is a lot like you, but it - and you - are a lot more like that other guy than you think. Calling in the government to sort out your problems means they're gonna come in and try to sort out your problems... but what they see as your problems and what you see as your problems might be different. Maybe you want them to deal with... I don't know, raiders or something. But they come in and they find out about that one neighbor of yours who's been buying stuff on the black market, and they decide he's an issue too - except he was the only one who reliably could get his hands on some medicine one of your family members needs. Or you've got people like my sister - she just wants to raise her kids, but you think she'd ever call in the government, knowing what Miei was?"

He let go of the drink, and her hand. "Tell me truthfully, Vai. If you got called somewhere and found out about a kid like her, what would your orders have been?" He didn't ask her what she would have done - that was a different, and more personal question. Right now, he wanted her thinking about the bigger picture.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:58 pm

She looked down at his hand while it held hers and then took the drink to her lips when he let it go. She took a moment to enjoy it and listen to what he said.

"But if people on the Fringe weren't so damned stubborn..." she shook her head."Detain, analyze,. extract." She repeated the orders to him. They had been standing orders for a long time. "But they don't kill them anymore Kir, they become part of the CETB program, they become.... something more." In truth she didn't know how to describe what they became. She had met the ship she served on once...it was... strange. Sometimes she wondered if they stayed sane after the bonding process. Left unsaid was those not powerful or stable enough often became part of the program in other ways....or died. Or... sometimes ships containing young CETB candidates arrived without their cargo. The tithe.

"I..." she started, thinking about it more. "Kir, everything is so different here and I don't have anything to fall back on."
She didn't know why she'd admitted that to him. Vai didn't like admitting fear or uncertainty, but she felt a lot of that last one lately. She looked at him, her only connection to a world that still made sense.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:13 pm

"Something more," Kir said flatly, "Like breeding stock for the next generation." The truth was, random telekinetics like Miei were incredibly rare... but hatchlings were much more likely to be telekinetic if one - or more - parents were. That meant a streamlined system, designed to produce telekinetics powerful enough to control the vast CETB ships. Kir was realistic and cynical to doubt very much that those sorts of matches were based on finding true love. "And plenty of them die anyway. And even without that... she'd never see her family again."

And that was Miei's problem, and his problem, but it wasn't Vai's problem and it wasn't really helping her right now. He sighed, and redirected the conversation. "Sometimes the best way to fall is forward, anyway. Think about who you want to be. What's important to you? Not just 'Something is happening in this place, maybe I should go' important, but important enough for you to get out there when there's not a crisis. What do you want, Vai? What is it you're looking for?"