Interesting Developments (Closed - Drake, Capacitor)

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Interesting Developments (Closed - Drake, Capacitor)

Post by illirica » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:47 am

"Tell me that you are not actually serious about this." Captain Docesznic leaned forward, resting her arm on the briefing room table beside a half cup of what was institutionally defined as "coffee." It had begun at "tepid," much like her opinion of this idea, and gone downhill from there. Much like her opinion of this idea.

"He's an interesting character with a lot of unique ideas." Mentally, Teja translated this from CO-speak as he's an idiot with the creativity of a hyperactive seven-year-old and no capacity to bring all his ideas to completion." Which was, it seemed, where Docesznic was supposed to come in. She knew well that she wasn't the inventor type - she was much better at refining other people's ideas, and at testing and developing and fixing all the damn things that didn't work even though the Army swore up and down and sideways that they had definitely been working when they'd left the storage facility.

Hence, they wanted to toss her together with some... interesting character... and see if the two of them could come up with something practical. She picked up the dossier again.

Drake McIntosh. Ex-Vigilante. Current special ops agent. Preferred weapon, of all strange things, a recurve bow. There were six pages on various arrow designs in his arsenal, and in her opinion half of them were... actually some of them were kind of interesting. She could see the practicality on a few of them. EMP in an arrow... I wonder what the range is on that, it would potentially be able to disrupt an enemy without my needing to go through the EMP burst. It was also a dangerous preposition that she absolutely did not want to be on the receiving end of. Captain Docesznic did not particularly get along well with EMP. It dropped her charge level to zero, usually leaving her nauseated and disoriented. Naturally she subjected herself to EMP bursts biweekly to maintain the degree of tolerance she had thus far built up to them - but it was not at all a pleasant experience.

And she was letting her mind wander in to the schematics, rather than focus on the first page, which essentially said that Drake McIntosh was an... interesting character... with the age and experience that he really ought to know better. "I'm sure there are plenty of people who have unique ideas," she stated flatly.

"Are you asking to work with additional personnel?"

Teja winced: that was, in fact, the opposite of what she wanted. Really, she just wanted to sit in her lab with her R&D people. They weren't interesting characters in the slightest, they were sensible and intelligent and she worked well with them. She let the paper drop. "How long is this project anticipated to last, sir?" Or, how long do I have to put up with this idiot?

"It's an indefinite timeline." Not the words she'd hoped for, at all. She also knew, from experience, that she wasn't going to get out of this one. She let the paper fall back onto the table, where it warred with the coffee for the title of most distasteful object in the room.

She leaned back in the chair, fiddling with a pen, then reached forward and flipped back to the page about the arrows. "When's this assclown arrive? Sir."

"Half-hour. I'll have him sent down to your lab." He grinned, then hid the grin behind a gulp of his own institutional coffee - always a questionable decision, likely regretted. "Dismissed."

Captain Docesznic stood, saluted, and took the papers with her, staring through the schematics on her way back to the lab. She made it down the first hall before she had the pen out and the paper against the wall, scribbling notes.

drake wrote:.

Drake

Re: Interesting Developments (Closed - Drake, Capacitor)

Post by Drake » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:03 am

When command said they had a task for me, I didn't expect them to actually be interested in maximizing my efficiency. I guess the boss really got my imaginary complaint e-mails, after all. Drake's trademark idiotic smirk was the very first notable quality about him that single day, it was as if the atmosphere surrounding him exude the most gratifying sensations of all, an astonishing joy accompanied by unwavering confidence, such a blissful day had ultimately arrived, after all. He had always got the sloppy seconds of main agents, be it missions too simplistic to spark any sort of interest or technological developments someone might have dissed and said 'this fits better in an arrow than my arsenal'. It was a constant in life, how most people looked down upon his flawless sight as something entirely antiquated in times edifices could be hurled as an actual Olympic sport and it would feel natural. It was why, when granted the opportunity to work on new designs with an adequate inventor he promptly embraced the idea.

It seemed as if actually chasing after ways to better himself piqued his superiors' interest, somewhat.

Drake had an unusual debonair feel to his garb, an actually presentable human being for social encounters rather than looking like he casually strolled out of his apartment and locked himself outside with his ridiculous 'stay home Saturday' clothes. The first impression usually counted the most, and even though wrapped around his waist were a quiver carrying a plethora of arrows and a his recurve at minimal size, Drake expected to make some sort of impact. Who knew, if they rendered him useless as agent material, he could possibly end unemployed or, even worse, on a circus career. He had developed a strong dislike of clowns in recent events, so humiliation of entertaining children with his awe-inspiring gift aside, the job would be painfully distasteful.

Boasting from renewed confidence and a healing body - even though his latest encounter with Sitri did aggravate his back's condition to an extent - Drake promptly entered the military laboratory he had been led towards, respectfully bowing his head to thank whichever secretary guided him there. The door creaked open, revealing quite the sight. It was an amusement park for those that could comprehend anything about science... Or taciturnly appreciate the work ingenious people did so they wouldn't consider asking your particular thoughts on anything, thus sparing you the shame of admittedly sucking in high school science classes. Damn, this must be one of those crazy scientist archetypes. Probably will have the real version of Doc Brown working on my-- Oh, damn...

He was actually speechless for a while, a blend of breathtaking technology plastered everywhere to feast his eyes on and, most importantly, the unexpected beauty that definitely affected Drake's flabbergasted expression the most, even though he could properly disguise it by subtly looking into the walls instead of staring directly into the brightest star in the room. 'Welcome to your interview for a military job. What's your cup size? Any previous experiences as a model before? From 1 to 10, how would you say men rate you?' I swear, if I ever find another average person in the army, I'll marry them. At this point it would be more amazing than having a legendary Pokemon. "Uhm... H-hey. I'm agent Drake McIntosh." She knows that. "Nice to meet you and, uh, sorry for the trouble." I bet babysitting the big archer baby is probably interrupting your next session with Vogue. Drake's eyes darted around, confidence waning as his heart raced quite a bit from how awkward he could make every situation. "This is a nice lab you've got. DId... Did you make all of this yourself?" Cautiously walking around the green-haired beauty's place, McIntosh attempted to sound as normal as he could, yet there was no way he could hide the hints of excitement and wonder on his tone.

If anything, he seemed like a kid visiting a Toys R Us.
Drake was feeling just fine again today.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Interesting Developments (Closed - Drake, Capacitor)

Post by illirica » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:39 am

Teja was seated at a workbench, barely glancing up at Sgt. Chalmers as he let someone in to the lab. He was an interesting character. She ignored him, for now, letting him look around the lab while she was busy putting a few more things together. The soldering iron was a comforting warmth in her hands, little connections on tiny circuits in front of her absorbing enough of her attention that she could, at least for a few minutes, pretend there wasn't an idiot looking around her lab.

A moment passed, and he decided to introduce himself. His introduction needed work. She preferred military precision. "Captain Teja Docesznic. The army made the lab, the equipment inside is by various individuals. My R&D team staff is highly competent." The statement inquired indirectly after his competence, without actually forming the question.

Her attention returned to the workbench, which was littered with parts of various things, as well as a set of paper schematics for arrows - McIntosh's own arrows, specifically, and the papers themselves were all written over with tiny, neat writing in green ink. She closed the tiny triangular panel in front of her, and held up the creation - specifically, an arrow. She'd been looking over his own projects and started adjusting them, changing a few things there, refining, developing. The body of the arrow was fairly standard, carbon shaft and aerodynamic fletching formed from carbon fiber - hard to get hold of, unless one worked for the military. Docesznic hadn't seen a reason not to use a few scraps she'd had left over from something else. The arrowhead looked fairly standard, but it was what she'd had open earlier, and the inner workings was a mess of connections, designed to - theoretically - activate on impact.

"Here. Try that and see if it works. Not in here." The lab was half scientist's wet dream and half firing range, the two connected by a door and a set of thick windows. The firing range seemed like it wasn't really set up for arrows. Or guns. Scorch marks on the far wall implied that it was probably some pretty strange weapons being tested. Right now, the opposite end of the range was set up with a flimsy-looking table, on which rested a very old laptop computer, currently going through an online music playlist. It either lacked speakers, or they had been turned off.

"It ought to block wifi signals once it impacts, but I'm not sure what the range will be. Don't break it."