Afterfall (Closed RP)

Roleplay locations.
WILDE JAGD

Afterfall (Closed RP)

Post by WILDE JAGD » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:37 am

The Shipyard

Gotthardt liked to think himself a composed man, as director in a force dedicated to pushing back threats from the sky and sea he had to be. However this, Ashfall, it had been a complete and utter failure. While the town had been saved, the losses had been far more severe than the population of the town. Not only had they lost the ARMADA, but it was still active and was currently roaming the countryside. It was only a matter of time before it either went berserk or wandered too close to a major city. Along with that Driver, 01 was a wreck, even if they had the ARMADA there was the very real possibility that it would reject the pilot and dispose of him.

His term had been the first time they'd managed to pilot the ARMADA, however, it had also been a term with two disasters of unprecedented scale. They'd done the best they could after 02, however it seemed to all be for naught. It seemed that nothing could change the fact that children were ill-suited for the pressure the ARMADA placed on them. The man sighed, looking up as he noticed a blinking light on his desk. Tapping a button next to it a voice spoke through the small speaker.

"Sir, we have recovered both the PEC and CY Sidearm. Chevron's attack caused significant damage to them, but they can be repaired. However, we currently have no way of pursuing the ARMADA. I fear we'll have to simply wait for its power supply to run out."

The old director nodded his head, he'd assumed as much. There was nothing they could do at this point, they would just have to wait. "And the boy? How is he looking?"

A pause.

"We've sent him back to Solar. However...I wouldn't get your hopes up."
Solar City

Ring Ring Rin-

As his phone rung for the third time that day Arin let it ring out, the same he had done with all the others. He knew it wasn't a good idea to ignore them, that at any time they could send some up to drag him back the Shipyard. Even still, talking to them was the last thing he wanted to do right now. Instead, he sat on his porch, his back against the wall as he stared off into the distance. His eyes blankly looking over the city skyline.
It'd been two days since he was picked off the shattered beds of Ashfall. They hadn't even bothered with debriefing him yet, it was clear he wouldn't able to say much about the situation. In fact, Arin hadn't said much about anything recently. In the two days, he'd either been sitting somewhere in his apartment lost in thought or lying in bed hoping he'd fall asleep. He rarely did, and it was never restless.

His gaze shifted slightly, falling upon a small flower he'd gotten as a small gift when he moved in. Its leaves were starting to droop, the color fading from its petals. Staring at it for a moment longer, he pushed himself to his feet. He walked over to his kitchen, the counters and stovetop barren of any signs of use. Grabbing a white mug he ran the sink, filling it with a bit of water before he returned to the plant. Leaning down he moved to lightly water the flowers. Letting the dry soil soak up the water. Setting the mug back down he looked over at the abandoned phone sitting on the floor. Picking it up he ignored the missed calls and unlocked it, opening up messages and creating a group message. Adding both Felix and Kelly he sent out a single text with his address included. Are you guys free to come to my place?

He didn't quite know if they'd be aivalible, or if they'd even want to come. However if they did, they'd find that the door was unlocked and Arin was back in his normal poistion, leaning against the wall on his porch.
Wilde Jagd
ODIN
A sinner without a past
The Vessel
A machine without a home

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Afterfall (Closed RP)

Post by illirica » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm

It had been two days.

Kelly knew what had happened. She kept an eye on hero stuff, after all. And that thing in Nebraska... well, there was only one person she knew who'd admitted to piloting a giant robot. It was totally possible that there were other giant robot pilots out there, but she'd seen the few grainy images enough to know it was Arin.

Her friend.

She'd tried to call. She'd tried to call a couple times, but he hadn't been answering his phone. She'd worried about that, like, maybe he was in the hospital or something. She'd have gone to visit him, but she didn't know which hospital... or anything else. She wished she had someone else's contact information for him. Wishing didn't help, though, so she'd just... tried to call. When she could. And the phone just... rang.

She'd worried. She'd tried to distract herself with other stuff, and there was a lot of stuff she could distract herself with, sure. But still, in the back of her mind, she was worried about Arin.

The text came through, finally, as a huge relief. That he was, at least, alive. The rest of it could be dealt with. As long as he was alive.
She typed back her response instantly, keeping it positive and trying not to let her text be like omg i was so worried even though that was really what she wanted to text. That was, like, Not Helping, though. She grabbed her shoes and left a note on the kitchen table for her parents, who probably weren't going to see it anyway, because they probably were going to work late and wouldn't even notice she'd been gone. Like always.

Okay, so Kelly was having some issues with that. It was just summer, she told herself. It'd be fine once school started up and she didn't have to think about that all the time. And right now, she needed to think about Arin. Because, really, he had a lot more important stuff to worry about. Kelly's problems were little ones, after all. He was the one who needed support.

A bike and a bus ride got her pretty close, and she ran the last little bit, telling herself it was just track and field practice and not being totally worried about him. She walked the last half-block, though, and went up to the door cautiously. I hope he's okay. She knocked on the door, but no one answered. She considered that.

Ordinarily, that would have meant not home, go away. Things with Arin, though... well, it had taken him two days to text. Kelly wasn't gonna wait two days about the door, right? She glanced around, then walked around the apartment to the back. Arin was there, sitting on a porch. He looked... well, not very good. Kelly climbed up, hopping over the bannister with the ease of a gymnast, and sat down on the porch next to him. "Hey," she said quietly, "You don't look so good. You need a hug?"

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Felix let Kelly's response speak for him and made his way quickly across the city, hopping rooftop to rooftop before he eventually reached Arin's house. He spotted Kelly's hair first and then jumped down, landing cat-like in the back yard. He got up and crossed the distance."I'm so glad to hear from you." He told him and squatted down on his opposite side in the manner of cats. He didn't use any puns, Kelly had seen before that when he was being serious his pun usage dropped accordingly...and this didn't feel like a pun type of situation.

"And if you need to talk, I'm all ears." Ok maybe the one.

Though he was typically upbeat, the concern in his eyes was obvious. He had thought about contacting the one person he thought might have good advice for Arin, but ultimately concluded that advice could and should come later. Right now Arin needed friends. Like Kelly he had seen what happened. He also worried about Arin's mental state and lamented the thought that he might soon be dealing with PTSD, if he wasn't already.

Felix knew little about psychology or anything like that, but he knew a lot about being a friend. So here he was to do that. Sometimes that was all someone needed. He hoped this was such a time.

WILDE JAGD

Post by WILDE JAGD » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:30 am

Arin was still simply looking out over the horizon when Kelly arrived. As she hopped over onto the porch the bright flash of vibrant colors catching his eye, pulling him back into the present. His attention turned to something other than his own thoughts as he immediately recognized its owner. He looked in direction momentary before quickly looking back to his knees. However even as he attempted to look down, he still felt her get closer as she sat down next to him.

There was a slight pause after she spoke in which he didn't say or do anything. Before ever so slowly he nodded his head once. As he did he leaned slightly into Kelly, resting his neck on his shoulder. As he did he let out a deep sigh, before inhaling a soft shuddering breath. He blinked forcefully once as he let his friend support him for a moment.

As Felix landed down in the backyard Arin tried to look at him for a second. However much like with Kelly, he couldn't find it within him to look him in the eye. Instead, he kept his gaze upon the ground, however, he still heard his concerned voice. As for wanting to talk, Arin didn't say anything in response. He didn't know himself if he wanted to, however, if he was it wouldn't be right now. Right now he just needed a moment.

It would be more than a couple of minutes before finally said something. As he did he didn't move to look at either of them. His voice was quiet and one that clearly hadn't been used for a while,

"You both know?"
Wilde Jagd
ODIN
A sinner without a past
The Vessel
A machine without a home

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Arin didn't say anything for a bit, but the nod was enough. Kelly put her arms around him when he leaned in. She might not know how to pilot a giant robot or be a superhero or save the world... but hugs she could do. At least there was something she was confident about. For a while, she just held him. Let him have the hug that he so very obviously needed. With all his giant robots and scientists and engineers, Kelly wondered if there was anyone out there who ever just... gave him a hug.

Whether he'd ever thought to ask for one. She didn't say anything, though - just let him have his moment of silence, let him have his time to process all his thoughts. Kelly didn't need to worry about being a hero for this one. All she needed to do was be a friend. Eventually, Arin spoke, quietly, a question: "You both know?"

Kelly glanced over at Felix for a moment, figuring from his look that he probably did as well. "Yeah," she said quietly, "There was enough on the news to figure it out. I don't think I could have if I hadn't known you ahead of time, and your secret's safe with us. That's not really important right now, though, is it? Arin... I'm sorry. I've been worried about you."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Felix nodded a little. "No one knows it was you but us. We're worried about you and we want to be here for you. Anything you need, we've got your back." He assured him gently. "Even if what you need is sitting here with you in silence." He moved to sit on the other side of Arin. He smiled a little and played with his ring for a moment, as if he was considering something with it. Ultimately, he chose not to and left it alone.

"Everyone always thinks of the easy parts." He said after a moment. "It's the hard parts they don't see." For a moment he had a distant look in his expression but it faded almost as soon as it had appeared. "The good thing is, you're not alone." He unzipped a pocket on his suit and removed a scrap of paper from it. He also removed a small pencil. He put them on the ground beside Arin. "Somewhere...I don't remember where, it is a custom to write down your bad thoughts on a piece of paper and burn them. I like to carry some paper around just in case I need to do the same thing. I don't know if it will help you, but it helps me. It's supposed to be about taking the negative feelings about yourself or others and casting them out."

He zipped his pocket. "I don't know what you need, but I'll give it to you when find it." He admitted. "Because friends are more important than almost anything in the world and when one friend feels weak, we have to step in and help them up. It's easier to carry burdens as a group." He thought for a moment and then offered Arin his hand, palm up.

WILDE JAGD

Post by WILDE JAGD » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 pm

Embraced, Arin felt his senses fade away, closing his eyes and briefly letting himself be put at ease. Existing only in the moment, he felt as if his thoughts were truly pulled away from Ashfall for the first time. Instead, they were focused here, with two people who cared.

However, the brief respite couldn't last as Arin eventually did reopen his eyes. As he'd partially suspected they'd known, however, the feelings of genuine worry they expressed was something that gave him pause. For a moment he didn't know what to say, he... he wasn't used to that. He couldn't help but feel slightly ashamed for not picking up, or contacting them earlier. Causing them to worry even more didn't help anyone.

"I didn't mean to -"

Arin trailed off. Hurt her, fall apart, let it go, cause you to worry, not pick up.

However, he couldn't say he could still express. Reaching for the pencil and piece of paper Felix placed he paused for a second before he began to write. Slowly at first, he began to write down everything he'd tried to say. The mistakes he'd made in Ashfall, those he'd let down and those he'd hurt before he capped it off with one large word ARMADA. Stopping as the scrap of paper was filled up, he placed it back on the ground before accepting the given hand. He didn't have any way to ignite the piece of paper, however, at least now it was out there.

"I didn't know what it would really be like, I thought I was ready."
Wilde Jagd
ODIN
A sinner without a past
The Vessel
A machine without a home

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:59 am

Arin started with an apology that Kelly didn't really need, but he didn't seem like he could finish anyway. Felix's idea about writing seemed to work for him, though, and for a while, Arin just sat and wrote. Since it seemed like that was what he needed, Kelly sat with him, just keeping her arm around his shoulders and letting him get all his feelings down. He didn't owe her an explanation, or anyone else one either. Not even himself.

Sometimes, Kelly realized, the hardest thing was being patient when you wanted to be helpful. Arin didn't need her to fill the silence with a bunch of words, though. He didn't need her to tell him what he could have done differently or what he could be doing now. He just needed... quiet. A quiet, safe space, where he could do what he needed to. She sat with him, and let him write.

Eventually, he either ran out of things he wanted to write, or ran out of places to write them, and let the paper drop to the floor. Kelly wanted to pick it up, read it, find out what was wrong, find out how she could help. But... picking it up, that wasn't right. He hadn't written that note for her. He'd written it for himself. And it wasn't her place to take away his choice to keep it private. She left the paper where it was.

"I didn't know what it would really be like," he said, "I thought I was ready."

"I think... you might have been, if it had been different," Kelly said, "But... every situation is different. You don't know what's going to be out there. You can't know. All you can do is do your best. This time, your best wasn't what you wanted it to be... but you still did it." She sighed. "I don't know. I'm probably not making any sense. Just... I know you tried, Arin. And... I'm proud of you. For trying."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:01 pm

"When I first found this ring, I did a lot of research on known rookie hero engagements as far back as I could find them.
Sometimes... people had to come to terms with things that happened their first time out, things beyond their control and beyond anything they expected to find. Xae in 1868 New York, Blue Thunder in 1975, the list goes on."
He reached down and picked up the paper, folding it over itself in the process so he couldn't read it. Then he unzipped a different pocket and removed a lighter. "My mom says these are a great way to break the ice with pretty girls who smoke." He explained. He put the lighter down ontop of the paper so that Arin could light it when he was ready and by folding it he had robbed himself and Kelly of the temptation to read it.

"We have your back. You're our friend and we'll always be here for you."

Felix smiled his charming smile and fell silent to give Arin some space to think. Felix didn't have the first hand experience with disaster Arin was going through but knew a few people who did. What he was pretty sure of though was Arin was not ready to talk to someone outside their little group yet. So for now he kept that idea to himself.

WILDE JAGD

Post by WILDE JAGD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Arin thought in silence for a while, looking down at the lighter and paper on the ground in front of him. He didn't touch either of them yet, not quite ready to burn them away. Being able to look at them, that was enough, at least for now.

In truth, he didn't deserve someone who was proud of him, not for what had happened. Sure, he had tried. However, it was that interference that may have made the situation all that much worse. Did it really matter how great his intentions in face of the drastic mistake? Yet still, both of them had come the moment he'd asked. Because they knew he'd need someone, whether or not he even knew. He wanted to just stay like this, but deep down there was something that wouldn't go away. A nagged feeling.

He didn't deserve either of them.

"I don't know... not anymore. They told me I was there to help, but I couldn't save anyone. I thought I was going to stop monsters, but what happened was so much different, it was so much worse. I... I don't want to hurt people, not ever again."
Wilde Jagd
ODIN
A sinner without a past
The Vessel
A machine without a home