Psych [CLOSED]

Roleplay locations.
Reyn
Community Mod

Psych [CLOSED]

Post by Reyn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 am

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P S Y C H -
Birchwood Institute, Detroit.

Camellia wasn't used to dealing with the criminally insane. The patients she got back at the university hospital were more often than not the victims of violent crime, not the perpetrators. Back there, the patients were only a danger to themselves, but here... here, the only thing keeping her from being killed were the reinforced doors on each ward.

Well, that and her near-immortality.

She had her reasons for being here, of course. Despite everything that happened between her and Reinhardt, Camellia was still entertaining the possibility that Lethe could be used as a force for good. Reforming criminals quite literally into new people via their memories seemed like an interesting area to study regardless of morality, and if she was able to get another research grant, then maybe she could use the money to work on that far less selfless project of hers.

Ah, there it was; the office of Elijah Marcus Crane. From what she had been told by that dreary-eyed receptionist, he was the one of the most reliable people here. Or was it the least reliable... Camellia hadn't really been listening. She heard the man was a genius, and that was enough for her. Hopefully he wouldn't be asking too many questions during her time working in the institute. She knocked on the door and rolled back a few feet, preparing a kind smile for whoever would open the door.

"Hello." She said "I'm Professor Hawthorne... I've been sent here to begin temporary work at this establishment. May I come in?"
-
- ♦ -
Last edited by Reyn on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mastermind

Re: Psych [CLOSED]

Post by Mastermind » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:50 am

Elijah had always been careful with his patients. Most of them he really did try to cure, which, actually usually went rather well. Even for the more hopeless of ones. Of course...he knew things others did not about this sort of thing. Knew how to figure them out, then get inside their head and fix things. Exactly when and what drugs they should take...or if there was no hope. But then, on every so rare occasion, he'd choose one. A patient who was clearly lost, someone who even other psychiatrists were certain wouldn't recover until something new was discovered. And he would practice with them. Get inside their minds and warp them, he had found ways, long term ones, to enhance the mind using techniques he could get past his hospital staff. Pressure here and there, these words, these inflections, this drug had this specific effect, this...less legal drug could be hidden without being detected and it's effects would last, even though it would be undetectable. But that of course was even more rare, even with his position it was dangerous to do it to all of them. He practiced to make them better, in one way or another, often at the loss of something. Sometimes it would be their sense of right and wrong which was already screwed, to gain the perceptive skills of some kind of superhuman detective eventually. One in particular, a more recent one, had trouble speaking. So he started setting his mind on mathematics, seeing the patterns in everything, it had been done before in fact. Some people had, in very rare instances, began to see things nobody else could due to one accident or another. Elijah just found a way to create that himself. But since this man had trouble communicating, and was already hostile towards those who would try, it rarely slipped out.

There was a knock on the door, bit lower then usual. And then he heard the voice, Professor Hawthorne? Ahhh. He stood up, "Ah yes just give me a moment Professor." he said setting the sets of files he had into a drawer to lock them up before quickly walking to and opening the door, "Please come in," he said smiling and holding open an arm gesturing inside. Wheelchair bound it seemed, but that really wasn't too much of an issue for this type of job...well, it would be for him. But that was due to his other activities. He had already begun paying close attention to her however, same as he did with anyone, specifically people who might be around his work, legal or otherwise. "Hopefully your trip here was fine?" he asked whenever she might come in so he could close the door behind her.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 am

Camellia nodded politely at Elijah, then rolled forwards into the room. It was quite a nice office, from what she could see. There was a lot of space for files and documents, far more than she had back in her own workspace. Perhaps criminal psychiatry involved a bit more paperwork than what she did, what with all the criminal records and official documentation they would have to keep on each patient.

"It was rather pleasant, thank you." She nodded "I had to have a friend of mine help me get to the station, but other than that I didn't have much of an issue."

Yes, Camellia hadn't come alone. She had brought Cal along with her to help with anything she would be unable to do during her stay... both physically and legally. Currently, Cal was probably either hanging around in the lobby by the vending machines or he was in the little cafe across the road. Either way, he wasn't there to interrupt her, and he wouldn't be for quite some time.

"I apologise if I was interrupting anything, Elijah." Camellia smiled "You seemed quite busy before I came in. Don't let me stop you working; if you need to continue, I don't mind sitting here quietly whilst you finish. I know what it's like, having people interfere with your research..."

-
- ♦ -

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:31 am

Even as she entered and he returned to sit down he was wondering what might have caused her to be in a wheelchair, or what it was like. He never really had many patients confined to wheelchairs...they tended to not be capable of as many crimes as the others...aside from the ones he put in wheelchair himself, but that was for a totally different reason then physical. However he didn't fail to act as usual, nodding with a slight smile at the answer of it being a pleasant trip.

Interrupting anything? Hm, well, sort of. It was nothing he couldn't push off for later. He didn't want to keep people waiting, especially other doctors. Even if he personally thought his more illegal actions were going to do far more good then anything they could accomplish here, he still felt psychiatrists played a vital part in this world and had no intention of hindering their good work. "No no, it's fine." he said shaking his head as he sat back down, "It's just some things I need to run over, I have enough time for it later. And I wouldn't want to hinder your own time, it's a valuable thing. So, what can I do for you?" he asked clapping his hands one over the other on his desk and leaning forwards with a smile.

Elijah was usually a bit more reserved with patients, and far less when he was acting as Doctor Fear, but for other people Elijah felt like being much more of a casual inviting individual...most of the time. He liked having people trust him, having...friends, though he certainly saw friends as a different thing then most would use the term for, but he wouldn't say that.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:01 pm

What could he do for her? Well, technically, he could do anything for her, if she was persistent and if he was unaware, but she wasn't interested in damaging this one. He looked like the type to notice something was wrong anyway, she doubted she could get much in before things went wrong. It was quite difficult altering the mind of someone who knew all there was to know about how their mind should be working. Besides, she was here on completely innocent business. 'What can I do for you', in this case, should probably be taken at face value. She didn't want to get on his bad side, after all.

"Oh, nothing in particular." She said "I'm here from work. They wanted me to experience what it's like working at an institute like this. I think they want to transfer me here eventually. Apparently, I'm very good at calming people down..."

Well, wouldn't you be if you could completely erase trauma from someone's mind?

"Perhaps I could shadow you whilst you work, so to speak." She continued "I could sit in on a few sessions, find out what you do here, that sort of thing. And, ah... if this goes well, then I might be able to do something more interesting later on."

She wasn't going to say what it was just yet. Whilst all records of LETHE were wiped clean from everywhere except her own personal hard drive, there was still the slight possibility that this hospital had staff working for the state who had seen it during the brief period of time it was shared with the government, or some of them might've been students at her old university and they might've read it there. Both incredibly unlikely of course, but Camellia had to entertain every possibility of disaster in order to keep her past forgotten.

-
- ♦ -

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Elijah nodded to himself at her first statement, it made sense, and of course some were indeed very good at specific parts of things like this. Of that he was keenly aware. Of course, his specific advantage went in quite the other direction, but that was simply due to a personal endeavor he had set himself on, rather then merely his natural skill.

At her second statement however he had to think for a moment, tapping on the desk with his fingers. He hadn't actually seen proof of the authority given for that, and he couldn't exactly just permit it without that. Just wasn't allowed. It wasn't that he was concerned about seeing his more sensitive information, no, though it did cross his mind. No it was more of an actual legal reason. "Well, I'd have to see the documents required to permit that. I can't exactly let people see the more important things with any of our patients, including mine, without them actually having been given the authority to do so." He held up a hand defensively, "Not at all to say you have any ill intent whatsoever, just that without me having actually been given what I need to know you have the permission to do that, I wouldn't be able to tell you anything or let you participate or view any sessions or important information. Just the way it is. If you do get it or have it however, I'd certainly be willing."

His own security wasn't really on his mind. After all the only people who he ever practiced on were far too broken to either remember, understand, or incapable of communicating, anything he'd done that was not usual and permitted. However it still crossed his mind to be aware of how far along she might be should she start any work with one of the...subjects.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Documents, eh? Camellia had almost forgotten about that. The university hospital had sent her over with some paperwork, but with the way Elijah was explaining the situation, she was concerned that what she had wasn't enough. She had permission to be inside the institute, sure, but perhaps her plan of sitting by Elijah whilst he ran sessions was a little too ambitious. Most likely, she would have to write to the university hospital and ask for a license, but that would take weeks. Camellia didn't like to wait.

"Ah, right, the documents..." She smiled "I'll be sure to get them to you soon, I promise."

Unless, there was another solution. Something quicker, something easier, but something more risky. Elijah was a smart man, wasn't he? He knew his own mind quite well, didn't he? Perhaps it was time to test just how observant he was. She held her hand out, as if offering him a handshake. Should he accept, she would bring her other hand round and put that on top of his hand as well, allowing her to alter his memories. She wasn't going to do anything immoral this time- she respected Elijah too much. No, if Elijah accepted this, the only thing that he would get is the false memory of seeing the permission documents.

"Anyhow, it's a pleasure to start work with you." She smiled, innocently offering him her hand "I hope this goes well for both of us. I have a lot of respect for you, sir."

-
- ♦ -

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:54 pm

Elijah nodded as she said she'd get them to him and stood up again, at least it seemed implied they were done. She added a mention about working with him and extended her hand, he shook it...and then memories changed. Now, Elijah was absurdly familiar with the aspect of altering a persons mind, perceptions, sensations, feelings, thoughts, and memories. But for himself, he had not too often had to concern himself with implanted memories. Erased ones yes, those he was very familiar with having actually had some damage to his brain from as many drugs and experiments as he used to use on himself. But the only adding of memories he had experienced was through hallucinations, and he knew what those felt like. This was different, more solidified in his mind like a real memory.

Even so, the phrase she used took him a moment to think on, the phrasing was just...odd. Questionable for the situation. But, he had met strange doctors before, it was not something he could sweat over unless something else came up. He nodded to himself, not showing too much of pause in spite of his thoughts, "Glad to hear, look forward to how this may go." he answered in response as he took his hand back. At the moment, there was no suspicion...but, soon enough, when he finds a lack of records on this permission given, he would realize something was wrong.

He clapped his hands together thinking and looking up for a moment, "Well let's see, I don't believe right now would be a good time. But I have a patient at six fifteen, you may be able to come to that. Until then, feel free to follow as your permission or job is given. I'd be happy to help out with anything until then, or visiting the more stable ones so they may know you before any actual session. Some of them don't like new things happening in their sessions, better to approach them more casually first, course for others it's quite the opposite. Just need to make sure you're aware of the situation."

Though he didn't actually show it, he was fully aware this could hinder his work with his more questionably treated patient as he'd be unable to actually preform his preferred methods while with them if she were watching. He just hoped the tour would either not force him to hinder his process with that one, or that it wouldn't last long enough to cause any actual difference.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:44 am

Camellia smiled as she let go of Elijah's hand. It worked quite well, evidently. Of course, this was all reliant on him not caring enough to check for the documents again, but it was a good fix for now. If he ever did find out, she would just have to find a way to deal with that closer to the time. There was no sense in worrying about it now, not when she had so much to be getting on with.

"Of course." She nodded "Perhaps I should take a quick tour around the facilities whilst you're busy working..."

Ah, yes. It would certainly be useful for her to explore the institute whilst Elijah worked, even if it meant she had to wait a while before seeing any patients. There might be screens up somewhere... and, if they were connected to any network, she might be able to have ADRENA find a back door in so she could broadcast LETHE-2 if anything went wrong. Not that anything was likely to go wrong, of course. For once in her life, her intentions were mostly innocent- especially compared to the last incident she had in a hospital. She was just there to see patients, gain more experience in psychiatry, and maybe get to work on more basic LETHE experiments, if Elijah ended up being the type to co-operate.

"I'll get going, then." She rolled towards the door, smiling at Elijah from across the room "I'll be round in about an hour to see how things are going. Is there anything else you wish to talk to me about, or should I take my leave?"

-
- ♦ -

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:17 am

Elijah nodded at her first statement before heading to open the door, quickly as she said she would get going, "Sounds good." he said.

Meanwhile he would get to work with some of his other dealings, and trying to figure out what to do about that specific patient. This was why he didn't operate mostly in the institute, it was too chancy stuff like this could screw up his research because he'd have to go backwards on it. He of course, would check later at his documents in general, make sure everything was in order. But that was near the end of his workday, not for now just yet.

Camelia would certainly find cameras, it was quite the necessity for a place like this, though most screens were with actual staff and were either away, or deactivated when they weren't there. Of course, the more safe for it patients might have screens in their rooms or in a group room in a corner top of it to avoid any of them trying to mess with it.

When the time would come for the actual patient Elijah would check to make sure Camellia got the chance to participate, this first one would be mostly safe. His name was George Wilkerson, he was unfortunate enough to have Bipolar and immense trouble controlling his anger. Because of this he had assaulted co-workers, on more then one occasion, before finally all the charges were filed and the situation was discovered. Although it was now mostly under control, it was not so much that they could trust him out in regular society yet. For safety reasons, there were others in the room, just in case of an outburst. But he didn't need to be restrained and Elijah found it helpful to not do so. The session would not be much special, mostly it was checking up on the existing problem, trying to further George's control of his anger, and making sure he was taking the right pills and in the right number. Elijah would also permit time to simply talk with him. And some to try and help the Bipolar disorder itself checking with staff occasionally to make sure everything was right.

Should Camellia choose to stick around, he would go through other patients in a similar fashion later. Unfortunately, today was also scheduled Lucas Donalds. The very man he had been trying to make a genius mathematician. Because he knew he couldn't very well continue that right now, he acted as if the patient was like any other. Although, it was very difficult. Lucas either refused to communicate, or was simply incapable of doing so. Elijah did his best to be patient but after awhile he ended up having to move onto others, commenting to staff to update him later on his situation and what he'd been up to so that he could try again later.

This he was happy to say would be followed up by more cooperative patients. Nevertheless the issue with Lucas would remain on his mind.