Psych [CLOSED]

Roleplay locations.
Reyn
Community Mod

Re: Psych [CLOSED]

Post by Reyn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:06 pm

The institute was far more secure than Camellia was used to. Even the hospital where she was kept as prisoner was less tightly-monitored than this. That was to be expected, of course; due to the type of facility it was, Camellia wouldn't expect anything less than this. There were cameras everywhere she looked... which meant that someone, somewhere, was watching them.

She couldn't see many screens in the corridors. They seemed to be reserved for areas behind doors. From what she could see, they were in monitoring rooms and offices and the like. Places where staff would be. She thought she saw a few inside other rooms, possibly ones with patients inside, but she didn't get a long enough look to be sure. Despite there not being many, Camellia was grateful for the presence of the monitors. A couple scattered here and there were better than none at all, after all.

Not that she would need to use them, of course.

Cal called her about halfway through her tour, telling her that he had been asked to leave the building for security reasons. Apparently, it was suspicious for him to be hanging around the lobby. This was a bit of a pain; Cal was very useful to use as a distraction, and having him absent would mean she didn't have a net to fall on in case things went wrong. She would just have to be very careful this time. Who knows, perhaps there would be someone else within the facility who could act as a stand-in if things went wrong.

The tour ended with her accidentally ending up where she started. It seemed like the sort of place she could easily get lost in, so she decided not to go exploring any further in case she found herself stuck and unable to return to work on time. She went back to Elijah's office and knocked on the door, showing up about forty minutes early to their appointed time.

"Excuse me, Elijah?" She said "I'm sorry to arrive unnanounced so early, I hope I wasn't interrupting you again. Are you ready to proceed now?"

-
- ♦ -

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Elijah glanced up as Camellia knocked on the door. Hm, she was early. Very much so. He frowned looking at some of his documents and groaned leaning against the back of his chair. Well, it was perhaps best to get it over with. Still, he would jot this down as something to keep aware of in her case in the future. Add it to his mental analysis of individuals. He ran his thumb around his pointer and middle finger for a second before standing up and walking towards the door, "Very well, I suppose some of them wouldn't mind having an early appointment." he said walking out and smiling for a moment before looking at the board he had picked up on the way out. It listed patients, times, and staff. And behind it he had other important notes and information on the patients. He nodded clicking his tongue. He'd gesture to see if she wanted him to push the wheelchair, if so he'd start pushing them towards where he'd been told George was at the moment. If not he'd simply nod again and start walking.

"George Wilkerson we'll ask first, he might be alright with an early appointment but if not we may check on the others. He had bipolar disorder, it's most especially prominent in making him very angry and hostile. Now, we've calmed him down a lot since he got in, he assaulted his coworkers in a convenience store and was eventually brought to us. He isn't really a danger anymore, but he's also not quite stable enough to go out into the public on his own just yet. I have some notes here for you, keep in mind he may or may not be alright with your presence or actual helping in it, so if it seems like he's a little too uncomfortable I'm gonna have to ask you to leave. It'll be that way with the ones I'm concerned about, and given the type of institute this is, that's plenty." He explained, "But, I'll try to keep you as involved as possible with my patients. There are a few others we can see today, some more or less difficult to communicate with, more or less violent. Now, for the most part, the ones you'll be seeing today won't be the more dangerous ones. But that doesn't mean they'll want to cooperate."

He said as they moved towards a room, it had some staff in it, making sure everything was going fine. And George would be sitting twiddling his thumbs while listening to a conversation between two others. Or, sort of a conversation. One of them was more jumbling words and the other one was trying to figure out what he was saying.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:17 am

It was almost a relief to see the office door open. Camellia was almost expecting Elijah to be busy again; after all, his job at the institute seemed to have quite the heavy workload, what with all the security and the constant threat of violence from his patients... she couldn't imagine the kind of stress something like this would bring. It would be enough to drive a man completely mad. Still, it seemed as though that stress didn't come at the cost of kindness, as Elijah happily offered to push her wheelchair towards the patient's room- an offer which Camellia obviously accepted. The tour had taken an awfully long time, and having to constantly push the wheels down those long, empty corridors had amounted to an arm workout from Hell. Perhaps Cal's numerous offers of a motorised chair were ones she should've taken.

As Elijah spoke about their next patient, Camellia's eyes couldn't help but wander around his office, and her mind couldn't help but wonder about the differences she had noticed between this place and her own. The office she was used to was a little more comfortable than this. It seemed as though the university hospital wanted to ensure that their staff were also in good mental health, and they had made each office resemble something more akin to a family sitting room than a place of serious work. Back there, she had a large couch, an armchair, soft carpet, a fancy-looking office chair... but here, there were no such luxuries. The most noticeable thing about Elijah's office were the filing cabinets. It was almost depressing.

The differences didn't just stop at room decor, of course. This patient, George Wilkerson, wasn't the type of person Camellia would see every day back home. Of course, being a psychiatrist, she had worked with patients who had bipolar disorder before- quite frequently, in fact. What was different about George was that he was once a danger to society... which was, of course, why he was brought here instead of the university hospital.

"George Wilkerson..." She said "He sounds rather interesting- to me, at least. I must agree with your choice to leave out the most dangerous ones, mind you; call me a pessimist, but I don't think I would last very long with these people if things started to turn sour..."

They arrived at a room a short way down some corridors. It looked eerily similar to many of the other rooms she passed by on her tour, like architectural déjà vu. She would imagine that this repetition would add to the stress she was thinking of earlier. It must be like working in a labyrinth. The patient inside was accompanied by two members of staff, and was twiddling his thumbs as he waited. Camellia couldn't tell from where she sat whether this was due to boredom or anxiety. With what she had already seen of the institute, she was tempted to assume the latter.

"Thank you for helping me here, Elijah." She smiled politely "Shall we begin this session?"

-
- ♦ -

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:04 am

Elijah didn't really comment on her response about leaving out the dangerous ones and not lasting long with them. Fair enough, some didn't. Of course that was why they kept staff around during those sessions, or, in some occasions, actually had a wall separating them. In fact it started off that way with most of them, it was safety after all.

As they approached Elijah stopped a few extra yards away and held up a hand to her as he moved forwards, more as a sign he was about to say a hello to the man than to hold off on her question, he leaned next to him and put a hand on his shoulder, "Mr Wilkerson? Is it alright if we have your session early?" he asked in a calm friendly voice, he was doing his best to make most of them feel as at home as he could. He wouldn't baby them, but it was best to approach them in a calmer manner. Most of them had enough to deal with inside their heads without someone abruptly changing schedules on them.

George stopped twiddling his thumbs and turned his head raising his eyebrows curiously as Elijah came up. Ah that was a good sign. It meant he was probably not in a mood swing in either direction, in George's case anyway. He nodded, and responded simply with, "Oh yes that's fine." he said ready to stand up. Elijah smiled, "Well splendid, but first would you mind if Professor Camellia here participates, she's a visiting psychiatrist and wanted to get familiar with things." he asked. George thought about it for a moment before shrugging and giving a nod before plopping himself down on a couch.

He'd nod and sit down himself after bringing Camellia's wheelchair close enough for conversation and sitting down himself, though he was close enough if necessary he could be between them just in case, but he doubted that'd be necessary. He'd go ahead and start, much of it would be similar to what Camellia was probably used to. Although there were a few extra questions here and there, "Have you gotten into any trouble recently?", "Have you needed to been good with the other patients or staff?", things along this line of questioning.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Camellia silently observed the session, not offering any questions of her own. She didn't feel as though it was her place to interrupt; she was here as a guest, not to do this man's job for him. Still, she felt a faint sense of relief as she listened to what was being said. Although this was an entirely different institute and patient with an entirely different purpose of session, a lot of the structure was quite similar to what she was used to back at the university hospital. Questions on symptom progression, on inter-personal relationships, on emotional state... he was hitting all the same notes as she would've done in the same situation.

Ah, the standardisation of medical practice.

Of course, it wasn't all the same. Camellia did have the underlying feeling that George didn't quite want to be there, although that feeling might've been caused by the way Elijah had put himself between the two. She was used to being directly in front of a patient when she was treating them... but, then again, she wasn't treating them in this case. Elijah was. Things were probably fine from his perspective. There were also a few questions that were quite specific to the institute, which led Camellia to want to ask her own. She cleared her throat to get the patient's attention, then smiled as she began to speak.

"Could I ask you how you feel towards members of staff in this institute?" She asked "Specifically... could I ask you how you feel towards Elijah and the staff around your room? You must see them an awful lot, with all these sessions. Would you say you have a good relationship? That you... like them, or not?"

-
- ♦ -

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:38 am

George paused at the question drawing on his lip for a moment and looking at Elijah who intentionally shrugged and leaned back raising and dropping his hand slightly as if to say he wouldn't be insulted either way. Just to make sure George didn't have to feel obligated in any way to speak positively about them. He knew some of their patients actually hated them and only did this because they had to, but sometimes people didn't want to say that.

He glanced at the staff for a moment before returning to face Camellia and moving one hand side to side in a so so motion, "I mean, they're alright. I wouldn't say we have a bad relationship exactly. I mean, I wouldn't come visit them once I get let out, but as far as doctors and stuff go I'd say they're pretty good. I mean, I'm getting better, so for doctors I like them. Don't think I'd call 'em friends exactly. More like...good coworkers or acquaintances maybe." he answered nodding to himself as if that was just about how he wanted to word it. It was a fair response. Elijah nodded to himself once as well, it was probably the opinion most of the ones who got to a more stable level had. He made certain they were well taken care of here, after all it was his job. It was only outside the hospital he explored alternative means, aside from the select few occasions.

Elijah looked to Camellia for a moment, to see if she had any other questions to ask commenting with a wave of the hand to carry on, "Please, if you do have another question you'd like to address I'm perfectly open to you doing it now. Just uh,"
he turned back to George tapping his fingers together, "For the most part everything been progressing well clearly. And I think, given another session. I might be able to tell you pretty soon just about how long it may take before you are actually done, as long as things continue as they've been going. From what I see you haven't had any legitimate outbreaks either with staff or with other patients, you have kept up with all of your needed medication, and you've almost always followed the rules. So I can certainly say that mostly the only reason you're still actually here is to be absolutely certain that you keep up this track after you've been released. And that you'll be able to function otherwise as well, in a normal society." Elijah smiled and nodded towards him. George let himself breath almost, closing his eyes and smiling before simply nodding. Elijah leaned back again before adding.

"Now if Professor Camellia would like to address anything else, or has anything else more to ask, I know I have a little time left. And then we can let you be on your way for now." He said gesturing for the woman to continue if she had anything and shaking the mans hand just in case she didn't.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 pm

A handshake.

How tempting.

Camellia almost went for it; after all, she was here for personal research as well as her formal job, but she managed to restrain herself. She wanted to leave the patients untouched, for now. As much as she would've liked to plant a false memory in this man's head and undo all of the institute's hard work in keeping him stable, she felt it would be somewhat out of place for the moment- not to mention suspicious. No... that time would come later. It wouldn't hurt her to do her job properly for a few weeks.

The patient seemed to have a good relationship with the staff, as per his response. That was to be expected, she supposed; he was on the way to recovery, so she would expect some base level of respect. It also gave her an indication on how to act whilst she was here. Admittedly, her only past experience with institutes like this came from her time studying in college, where she had to go with a few others to observe things there as part of her thesis. They were very strict there, unnecessarily harsh towards the patients. That, along with the generally negative portrayal these places got in the media, had made her anticipate an attitude of hostility from the staff, but Elijah seemed relatively normal. She would have to be normal as well. There was no need for her to put up an aggressive front, and she felt somewhat relieved at that.

"I have nothing left to ask, no." She smiled "Let's leave it at that."

-
- ♦ -