Lifelines [Closed: Prism, Luna Hawk]

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Lifelines [Closed: Prism, Luna Hawk]

Post by illirica » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:43 pm

This happens after Sylvania, but before Afterfall and before Detroit.

Heroing, as it turned out, was really hard. Kelly had expected the hard part to be understanding how to use her powers, but it turned out it was more the question of which powers to use, and when, and why - or why not - and then when you thought everything was going fine, someone else stepped in and ruined everything you were trying to do.

And Kelly was trying really, really hard not to be angry about that, because everyone else was just trying their best too, and maybe she shouldn't have said some of the stuff she did, and maybe she ought to say she was sorry, except she didn't know where to find people anyway, and "I'm sorry I got mad when you ruined everything" wasn't really the right sort of apology, anyway.

What were heroes even supposed to do in that sort of situation? How did you balance power with morality? And how did you balance morality with grace? There needed to be, like, a SuperHero Hotline or something. She thumbed through her phone, but "Superhero Hotline" didn't magically appear in her contacts list. Too bad. Would have been kind of cool if it had. There were all her school friends, and her parents, but none of them knew about Kelly being a superhero. Felix was nice, and he'd be sympathetic, but he wouldn't have answers. Arin was... not answering her calls right now, after that Nebraska thing he'd got caught up in. She was worried about him - that was just another thing on the pile. And she had Ms. Xanders' number, but really, what did a bazillionaire know about heroes? And there was Kendra Saunders / Luna Hawk, who probably had so much better things to do than talk to a teenager.

Oh, for Pete's sake, she SAID you could call her, stop being so insecure!

Still, Kelly hesitated, but eventually she pressed the call button. It rang a couple times, and she expected it to go to voicemail, and so she was a bit surprised when the call was actually answered. "Oh. Um. Hi. It's... Kelly. Sanderson. We met at Comicon a while ago, and... I guess... I was just sort of wondering if we could, maybe, talk some time."

LunaHawk

Re: Lifelines [Closed: Prism, Luna Hawk]

Post by LunaHawk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:34 pm

There was no hesistation of trying to remember the encounter or who she was in Kendra's voice, only certainty. "Of course, any time. I'm actually in Solar City for filming right now, do you want to meet somewhere and talk today?" She didn't know exactly why the girl had asked her, but she had ideas. The tone of her voice, clearer to her inhuman hearing than perhaps most others, suggested this was the sort of thing that needed her experience...that something was troubling the girl.

On the other side of the phone Kendra put down her coffee cup. "Just give me a time and a place Kelly and I'll be there." Kendra's agent looked up at her like she was crazy, emphatically pointing to her planner and the shooting schedule for the day. Kendra responded to her with a shrug and mouthed the words "people are more important, figure it out." The woman sighed and got up to start making phone calls.

Kendra smirked and waited to see what Kelly would say.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:18 pm

"You film in Solar City?" No, wait, that wasn't the point. The point was... well, lots of things. "Um... maybe the park? Around three or something?" That would give her time for things to be all done by the time her parents got home, even if they got home on time, which they wouldn't. And it wasn't like she needed to make up excuses to go to the park, since she did that like, practically every day anyway.

A couple hours later she was on her way. She'd left her parents a note about where she'd be, which they wouldn't see, and put on her running shoes and gotten there a bit early. She'd thought she might run for a while, but her head was so full of stuff she didn't really feel like it, so instead she bought herself a purple-flavored slushie on the way and sat down on the bench where she'd said she'd meet Ms. Sonders, one earbud in while she flipped through songs on her phone, not listening to more than a few measures of any of them.

Maybe she'll think I'm crazy. No, of course that wasn't true. Ms. Sonders wasn't at all the sort of person who would think Kelly was crazy. Even if Kelly really were crazy. Which... she... wasn't? No. She wasn't crazy. Just... disappointed.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:54 am

Kendra, not wearing her costume, came up to her a few minutes later and smiled. When she saw the way Prism was acting and combined it with how she sounded on the phone earlier her smile faded a little and she took a seat beside her on the bench. Kendra ran her fingers through her dreads and looked over at her young friend. "Didn't go how you thought it would." She observed. "Tell me about it." She said with a gentle voice that spoke of her understanding...and first hand experience in the matter.

She let the girl take her time if she needed to and looked up at their surroundings. She had a cup of coffee she'd brought with her and took a sip from it, her golden eyes glimmering in the sun light of Solar City. The Power Dampener had a curious influence on her abilities, since most of then were biological and part of her actual existence, the dampened powers were largely in relation to her strength, hearing and vision, both of which were reduced to slightly above human norms. Also it made her somewhat...tingly. An influence, she suspected, on her regenerative abilities.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:42 am

Kelly gave her a smile when she arrived, the bright sunny California girl in her momentarily overruling the worry. She had a lot to be happy about. Good friends. People who cared about her. Famous superheroes who took time out of their day just to... talk. She's... amazing. Pretty, smart, heroic, and a genuinely good person. Oh my gosh, I think I want to be her when I grow up.

She'd been worried about the idea of having to, like, talk about all the things, but surprisingly felt a lot better as soon as Ms. Sonders got there, enough so that it wasn't really all that hard to open up. She stirred her straw in the remnants of her slushie. "It... started off all right," she answered. "I mean... no, it didn't. It started off horrible, and all these people were dead, and there was nothing I could do about that. But, like... that's why I'm doing this. To stop that from happening, to keep it from getting worse. So, I guess that was kind of a shock, but... I can deal with that. I will deal with that."

She sighed, then jabbed the straw down in the unsuspecting purple icee. "I... I thought it was going to be okay, at the end," she said, quietly, "I had it. She was talking to me, Ms. ....Kendra. She was looking at me like... like there was a possibility there. Like if I told her things would be okay, she'd try to believe me. And then someone else jumped in and blew it all up." The icee got another stab, which it really didn't deserve. Kelly put the cup down on the bench next to her, leaning forward and resting her head in her hands. "She ran away. And... I am never going to be able to tell her it wasn't supposed to be like that. I'm never going to be able to tell her I'm sorry. And even if I did, she wouldn't believe me. And I... I don't know how to save that."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Kendra put a wing around her shoulders gently and rested a hand on Kelly's knee. "This...is a really hard life Kelly. Made harder by the fact everyone is trying to do what they think is best at the same time and we're not always good about communicating with each other in the heat of the moment. You did the right thing, what others do doesn't take away from that, nor does it mean it's your fault if something goes wrong." She watched her for a moment, a dozen memories of similar experiences flashing through her mind. "I wish I could say people like us can fix everything but sometimes we can't. I wish we could...There are a lot of things I would fix if I was able." She thought of her father and decided not to for now.

"What you can do...is try. You two made some kind of connection and that's good, it means the person you were fighting was more than a generic monster, they were a person with the drives and feelings of a person...the two of you must have shared something in common. That isn't suddenly untrue and it may take some time for you to find her again...and perhaps longer to establish anything representing trust again...but you can try. You are a good person, a person with a lot of love and joy to give. That's the important thing, be yourself and let everything else come together around it.". Kendra considered her for a moment and smiled a little."Have you spoken to the other people involved?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Kelly started at the sudden, soft pressure on her shoulders. Oh, holy moly, she can move those. Which was, like, totally obvious, of course, but Kelly had always just considered the wings to be there for, like, flying and looking cool. Not, like... actually using them like any other body part. Which she guessed they were. But what did that even mean? And the hand on the knee, what did that mean? That was, like, what the couples in high school did under the cafeteria tables when they thought they were being totally surreptitious, but they really weren't. But... it definitely wasn't that.

So what did it even mean? Now she needed someone to ask about this whole thing, that had started because she had so many other questions about the last thing! It was just, like, questions all the way down.

At least... at least the words made sense. A lot of sense, really. "I... haven't talked to anyone else at all," she answered, "I kind of... didn't want to. Like... nothing I want to say seems polite, and so maybe it's better if I just, like, don't? You know, like... if I can't make it better, maybe I can at least not make it worse?"

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Kendra nodded in understanding that wasn't agreement. Her comments forced her to think of her father. Her eyes held more emotional pain than eyes so beautiful ever had the right to as she made eye contact with Kelly. "Words can bring joy, pain, hurt, love...they can be awkward, They can be healing.... silence is deafening. Silence hurts, it spreads, it creates barriers and chasms... silence allows us to fill it, always with negative emotions. Don't choose silence, words might not help, but silence never will."

Kendra smiled. "I have confidence you can talk to the others involved and smooth things over. You'll probably come out of it with new friends and allies.". Kendra wanted Kelly to not make the mistakes she herself had made in the past. She knew how hard this line of work could be, knew how difficult it was when everyone tried to do the right thing at the same time but that right thing was different to each of them. She didn't point it out, but felt Kelly aware enough to realize it was silence towards one another that had led to their miscommunication in Sylvania.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:02 pm

"I'll... try," Kelly said. "I guess I can try. I'm not really sure how to reach out..." But, on the other hand, she did kind of run a superhero weblog. Kelly did, anyway. Not Prism. But... Prism could... write in? Maybe? It was weird and convuloted, but it might work. And... that girl in the chair, she'd had some sort of weird intertron connection or something, so maybe posting would reach her?

It was probably overly optimistic, but... on the other hand, maybe it wouldn't hurt. "Okay," she said, a moment later, after processing, "I think I've got some ideas. I don't know if they'll work out, but... I guess at least I'll know I tried. And maybe that's the important thing anyway. Or, like, an important thing."

That seemed... yeah, that was okay. That was going to be okay. One way or another. But, like, what wasn't okay? That look in Ms. Sonders' eyes for a minute there. That wasn't okay at all. That was, like, a whole lot more not-okay than any one person ought to have space for. Kelly watched her for a moment, then hesitated, cautiously, "Do you... um... do you want to talk about it? Whatever it is that's bothering you."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Kendra smiled.", Exactly." She assured her. "It might take time, but you can do it." She considered any manner of ways to respond to Kelly's observant question, including telling her it was fine and she was fine and everything was fine...but she wanted Kelly to open up, she wanted her to feel like they were friends and colleagues, not child and adult. So...she took a breath.

"My father has chosen to stop speaking with me." She said. It was weirdly relieving to say. "We had an argument...like we always do... about the same things we always argue about. He's cut me out of his life entirely. My mother is dying of a disease not even my regenerative blood can cure."

She sighed. "He needs to talk to someone, we need to talk, but my phone number has been blocked."

She smiled a little. "That's why I think you should reach out, because silence is awful."