Lifelines [Closed: Prism, Luna Hawk]

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Lifelines [Closed: Prism, Luna Hawk]

Post by illirica » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:08 pm

"Oh... I'm sorry." Kelly frowned slightly. "That really sucks." Sucks didn't even, like, start to cover it. Her parents weren't there very often, but at least they got along - and if they were gone, it was because they were busy, not because they were mad at her. And no one Kelly knew was dying, either. That, like, really sucked. And there wasn't anything she could do about that.

Not about that, but... Kelly shifted slightly, and pulled her phone out of her back pocket, then shrugged slightly and offered it to Ms. Sonders. "I mean... I doubt he's got my number blocked. You can try, if you want to. It won't hurt me at all if some guy I've never met blocks my number."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:44 am

She'd never thought to ask for a phone, never thought to burden anyone else with her problem. She looked at it, the surprise on her face evident. After a moment she reached out and took it gently. "You are a good person Kelly. Whatever being a hero brings you, don't ever let it influence that." She stood up and turned her back to Kelly for a moment to make the call.

She stood for a moment, as if uncertain...then she dialed. It seemed to ring for a time and the , at last, someone answered. Kelly of course could only hear one side of the conversation.

"Hello, father? Yes...I... someone loaned me their...no. I just... thought maybe we could talk, I haven't heard from you since...no...no. I told you, it's important to me, there are a lot of women in bad situations that need my... that's... that's just not how that works. I'm going to start a studio and.... would you stop it?!* Her voice took on a sudden sharp tone she'd never used on anyone around Kelly before, it was like the edge of a sword. Her free hand tightened into a fist and she was visibly shaking with rage contained only by an indomitable will. "Just tell me how mom is doing." Through an absolute feat of will power she managed to drop her tone back even again.

She stood still for a moment and her wings dropped like the leaves on a dying plant. She lowered the phone.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:00 am

Kelly wasn't really sure why she'd looked so surprise. Had she really never thought to ask a friend to borrow a phone? Kelly and her friends borrowed each other's phones, like, all the time - any time one of them ran out of charge. Didn't Ms. Sonders do the same with her friends?

She frowned slightly to herself as the older hero went to make her call. Did... Ms. Sonders... have friends? Like, she was totally a hero, and she totally had a job because she was a movie star and all, but, like... did she have friends? The few comic books that she'd borrowed from Felix didn't really mention the idea. Kelly had assumed that was because they were just focused on the superhero thing, but... well. All of a sudden she had some very uncomfortable questions.

Y'know, to add on to all the other uncomfortable questions. She tried not to listen in to the conversation really, but - like, seriously, she was sixteen, she was curious, and she wasn't that far away. It sounded like... sounded like it wasn't all gonna be wrapped up today, that was for sure. The call, presumably, ended, because Ms. Sonders lowered the phone. She didn't look so good. She looked like... like she needed a hero.

Or at least a hug. Awesome teenage girl powers, activate! Kind of a bittersweet thought, there, since the situation was totally tragic and all, but Kelly got up anyway and walked over to her. "Need a hug?" she inquired, "'Cause I'm pretty good at that."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:52 am

This time Kendra didn't hesitate, she turned and embrwced the girl. A hug was exactly what she needed. Elsewhere, far away and unknown to them both a window began to irisi open...the hug closed it again. Kendra held the hug for a long time before she eventually pulled back a little. She wasn't crying, nor were there any signs that she had been, but the look on her face had certainly been one of someone who probably should have been.

"Thank you." She said earnestly and gently handed the phone back. "I don't think I've had a friend like you in awhile. The few heroes I know now aren't exactly the hugging type." Kendra was certain if Xae hugged someone the world would end instantly and hell would freeze over.

Her smile returned. "Kelly, where do you go when you're wanting to feel better?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:21 am

Kelly hadn't said anything for a while. That was okay. When someone needed a hug, they'd let you know when they were ready to talk. For a while, Kelly just gave the hug she could give. Maybe some day she'd get a chance to hug that girl in Sylvania. Maybe not, but that wasn't any reason not to give hugs where they were needed.

"You're welcome," Kelly returned, easily enough. She accepted her phone back and tucked it away in her pocket again, before adding, "Um... are we? Friends, I mean? Not that I mind!" The last sentence was tagged on in a rush, before her inquiry could sound like an objection. "It's just, I'm, like... sixteen. And you're, like... wow. You know?" Of course she knew. She probably got told that every day. Because she was awesome. Kelly resisted the urge to sigh dramatically. Save it for your diary, Kelly Sanderson, she told herself firmly.

Ms. Sonders had found her smile again, anyway, so that was something. "When I want to feel better?" she asked. "I don't know, out for ice cream I guess? Or I just hang out in my room and call someone who might be able to help. Y'know. Like I did earlier. Why?"

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Kendra laughed a little, Kelly's attitude bringing some of her own natural joy back. "I know, but heroes are a small community, just because I'm older and have been around longer doesn't mean I can't be your friend. Let other people be strictly mentors and guides, I know a friend when I see one. I'm certain you'll spend more time with friends your age, but an older friend who can help out from time to time never hurt anyone."

Kendra motioned towards the sidewalk and the direction of one of the cities many ice cream stands. "You reminded me of my own advice. I've spent so much time focusing on my career... I've let my interactions with other heroes dwindle. I hope you don't mind my boldness in calling you a friend."

Though she spoke with more of an even tone than moments before the pain still lingered in her eyes. By focusing on Kelly and their conversation, she was trying to forget the feelings of rage and desperation her father had dreaded up. She was also trying not to think about when times had been better for her family, if she did that, she'd have to remember how far her father had fallen.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:31 pm

"Yeah, but... like... your career is important," Kelly said, "'Cause, you're like, one of the few heroes with a public job that people like and respect. Trying to save the world is all well and good, but most people just can't relate to that. They just... they don't get it, I don't think. But movie stars they get. So... you be a movie star, and people get that, and it means people are thinking you're not all that different from anyone else, because you don't need super powers to be a movie star. Just, like, talent and charisma and being really pretty and all that." Um.

Tone it down, there. She said 'friend,' not 'fangirl.'
"But... anyway. It's important, what you're doing. And you shouldn't downplay that. You're probably right about getting out there with other heroes, though. Even if it's just, like, calling them up for coffee or whatever. I mean, don't get me wrong, it would be totally awesome to be your friend, just, like, I shouldn't be your only one."

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:55 pm

If Kendra minded the girl calling her pretty, a few times, it certainly didn't show. Kendra smiled a little and listened as they walked. It was...nice, hearing someone tell her her job mattered, that what she did was important. Kelly was right, people came up to her all the time ..and not creepy people either. True some parents would rather their teenagers be unaware of her other film roles, but they loved what she was doing for the Luna Hawk movie.

What she wanted to do with her own studio, that was important too. Her father didn't approve but...he didn't have to. She knew what she was doing was the right thing. She considered Kelly and her encouragement, as well as her caution. "You're right, of course. I'll see if I can't make more connections. There's a few I've been meant to talk to, I should start with them. How about you Kelly, making any connections in the business?" She slipped into slightly coded vocabulary as they approached more populus areas.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:15 pm

The business? Oh! Is that how people talk about it? Wow, it's like I'm a real superhero with, like, a real secret identity! Of course, it was pretty easy for her to talk about. "Some," she said, "We hired a new girl to help with the weblog, she's a journalist already, so she has a company that helps her travel, but she's going to write articles for us on the side. I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with; she's pretty good."

She'd met a few other people, as well, in her Prism-persona, but she wasn't quite sure how to work that information into the conversation in the more private sense. She really wasn't good at duplicity, it turned out.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:52 pm

"Sounds like things are going well." Kendra said with a smile. With each word, each step, her pain was easing a little or at the very least going to the back of her mind. Kendra considered her friend and protege as they walked. "Not everyone is easy to interview...or get in contact with for that matter but I'm confident that with your personality and color you'll do just fine.". There was this ever so slight inflection to key words like interview and color that told her she meant the Prism side of things and that by interview she meant fight alongside. It also had the merit of being true in her civilian persona, not a deception, a conversation with dual and accurate meaninings.

"Felix must be exstatic with all of this." She smiled.