Project Aether Development Database

Concepts, Lore, & New Developments.
Aether

Project Aether Development Database

Post by Aether » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Meta-Inception Project Black Site Project No. 389 - Event Logs

Following the retrieval of government property in the immediate aftermath of an Level S denoted Cosmic Incursion[1], the United States had come into possession of a meta-human asset that had since slipped the country's possession in the prior months.

This asset was formerly known under the name of Hector Isiah Williams[2].

The following database is a comprehensive record of the studies and tests conducted of this asset post-incursion, known henceforth as the inception of Project AETHER, or Advanced Entropic Tether Handling Energy Recovery [See addendum 12/25/19.]. The entirety of the project revolves around the aforementioned asset and the various unknown properties it displays in the wake of its contact with the Level S Cosmic Entity[3] present at the incursion from which it was retrieved-- specifically the applications of its form to various thermodynamic and renewable energy processes.

The incident log is set to update at any time.

From the desk of Curtis West:

Enough with these acronyms. We weren't even meant to have one with this asset-- the word aether itself already carries suitable meaning. Any attempt to pin multiple words under one is merely a half-cocked nostalgic attempt to recapture the MIP's glory days under Capacitor, and I don't quite feel like thinking of that every time I have to lay eyes upon this thing.

Because it is a thing, now, and I want all of you to get that through your skulls. It does not breathe. Does not think. Does not feel or walk or talk like any of you. I have half the mind to purge all mention to Hector Williams, at this very moment, but I'm withholding myself because of the necessity of acknowledging that this was, in fact, once a human being.

Keep in mind the word I used, there. Once.

I expect you all to attend primary assignment briefings at 0800 tonight. Sharp.

INCIDENT LOGS

Dec. 24th, 2019 - 2100 Hours
Dec. 29th, 2019 - 1340 Hours

Jan. 5th, 2020 - 1050 Hours
Jan. 12th, 2020 - 2003 Hours
Jan. 15th, 2020 - 1450 Hours
Jan. 26th, 2020 - 0920 Hours
Jan. 30th, 2020 - 0200 Hours

Feb. 13th, 2020 - 0502 Hours
Feb. 22nd, 2020 - 2203 Hours

Mar. 5th, 2020 - 2202 Hours
Mar. 6th, 2020 - 2303 Hours
Mar. 7th, 2020 - 0340 Hours
Mar. 7th, 2020 - 1240 Hours
Mar. 7th, 2020 - 1940 Hours
Mar. 7th, 2020 - 2004 Hours
Mar. 7th, 2020 - 2030 Hours
Mar. 7th, 2020 - 2031 Hours
Mar. 8th, 2020 - 0000 Hours

Footnotes:
[1]: Also known under the media name of "the Ruination".
[2]: Also known by the government-sponsored alias of Akhilleus. Whether or not this asset is still definable by its previous identity is under scrutiny.
[3]: Also known under the self-given name of "Surgath", and known also to various sources as the "Titan of Progress". Investigation into these claims and their meaning, specifically in relation to the asset, is still pending.
Last edited by Aether on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroism is accessible. Happiness is more difficult.

Aether

Project Aether: Description

Post by Aether » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:59 am

MIP Black Site Subject No. 389 - Description

Designation: AETHER under Penrose Shell containment measures.
SUBJECT DESCRIPTION

S389 - designated under the project alias Aether[1] in all available documentation - is the current active research effort by Meta-Inception Project Director Curtis West.

S389 is an unidentified techno-biological humanoid which stands at about 3 feet and 5 inches. Physically, it appears to be bisected around the midsection (see Addendum 4/02/20) and has stature and physiology equivalent to a biological male, though these observations are speculative; the true nature of S389's origins are undisclosed to senior MIP operators[1], and is private information granted at the behest of Director Curtis West.

Spatially, S389 is a self-contained and miniaturized kugelblitz, which currently violates most known laws of thermodynamics and gravitational physics; in layman's terms, the core of S389-- functionally, where the abdomen and chest of a human male would be-- is a microcosmic black hole generated by the immense concentration and collapse of substantial quantities of energy. This is thought to be due in part to the Level S denoted Cosmic Incursion known as the Ruination.[2]

After months of examination, insight into S389's origins were released to lower-clearance operators and researchers on-site; the subject itself appears to be an amalgamate formation of the armored exosuit used by Hector Isiah Williams, designation: AKHILLEUS in MIP documentation. The armor itself appears to be in a self-mending state as time progresses, and it bears similarities in facial plating, overall structure, and color scheme to the internal and external components of the armored suit.[3]

S389 has displayed limited measures of cognition and language, suggesting the remnant of an on-board artificial intelligence or informative subroutine (see Addendum 4/03/20).

Efforts to determine the extent of S389's cognitive abilities have been put on full-stop by direct order from Curtis West. Any researchers found engaging in language or memory-forming activities with S389 will be terminated and relocated.

As of April 3rd, 2020, the upper thighs and groin of S389 have since been reformed.
Footnotes:
[1]: Information involving the true extent of S389's formation has been deemed incredibly sensitive information, and has been classified as an infohazard.
[2]: The concentration of energy is speculated to have been released from an extraterrestrial source, most likely by the Level S Cosmic Entity "Surgath".
[3]: The appearance of S389, however, appears to be slimmer and more skeletal in nature, suggesting that the suit's remnants is most likely internal framing that served as an energy conduit. This may also be why it still retains such exhaustive quantities of radiation.

Aether

hector_williams_statement_08_20_19

Post by Aether » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:54 pm

//FILE ACCESSED

I want to discuss the events that have transpired over this last week regarding my actions in Los Angeles. At this point, there are going to be people-- news stations, media outlets, even fellow heroes-- that are going to give their version of events. I want to get this to you as soon as possible to recount my point of view. My version of events. People deserve the truth; I have no intention of lying to you.

On August 16th, 2019, I stopped a raging fire within greater LA that had been started by two metahuman terrorists.

It is the job of the Society of Superheroes to respond to threats, and that was exactly what we did. However, in the wake of the horrific events in Los Angeles, it is a necessary facet of our existence as superheroes to deem whether or not we are the threats ourselves.

As Los Angeles burned, I acted. I did not reflect. As an inferno erupted and endangered not just the lives of those in its radius, but the lives which resided within an entire city, I acted in what I deemed the best interest of the city. Many of you know of the tragedy that followed. Casualties are estimated in the thousands; damage to infrastructure was estimated in the hundreds of millions.

I regret my actions, but I stand by them.

Los Angeles was burning. If I hadn't acted, my belief was that the actual fire would have spread across the entire city and destroyed far more than what was already affected by the initial inferno. By freezing over the affected portion of the city, I had-- at the time-- thought that arresting the movement of the flames would save the unaffected portion of the city and result in countless lives saved. I leave it up to you whether or not my approximation was correct. I leave it up to you to determine whether or not it would have been better for me to leave the fire unattended, or halt its progress-- damning others in the act itself.

In the hours I had spent digging past snow and ice to retrieve bodies from the wreckage of frozen-over buildings, I had apt time to reflect on the purpose and impact of my actions. Every face I saw was dead by my hand. Every life taken there, ambiguous or not, fell under my responsibility. I could not save them, and that is an insurmountable measure of guilt that I will take to my grave.

But, at the time, I believed what I had done was just. I still believe that. A hero's duty isn't to save everyone-- it's to save as many people as they can. If I could have done anything different, in the moment-- come up with a different plan, employ a different tactic-- I would do so. I would revise my actions in a heartbeat. But I can't.

I can't change the past. I can only change the present and hope it changes the future.

That is why I am suspending all public and high-profile activities for the SOS on my behalf. I've hurt enough people in this lifetime-- and while I work every day to try and make up for the lives lost, either through my actions or another's, I can only try.

I'm not quitting. Not today-- not ever. To quit would be to show weakness and confirm the harsh words of my greatest critics. What I do, now, I do for myself-- and, by extension, for all of you. You are my reason for continuation, and I've failed you, today. I've failed more than you can ever know.

And from the deepest part of my being-- from the bottom of my heart-- I am sorry that I have failed all of you.

- H. W.

Aether

Request Log No. 87 - Dr. Sewan Abernathy

Post by Aether » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:02 pm

//FILE ACCESSED

REQUEST LOG automatic data capture.
CLAIMANT: Dr. Sewan Abernathy.
SUBJECT: "S.389". Filed 8/09/20.

Pictured: Electromagnetic imaging of S.389 through X-RAY, VISIBLE LIGHT, and ULTRAVIOLET composites.
Capture taken 03/20/20.
BEGIN LOG

He stirs.

What made you think that you would be able to hide this from us, Curtis? From me? Did you somehow cling to the delusion you have been holding onto since the acquisition of S.389, despite every rational thought begging you to abandon your outdated classification? Or perhaps you did not care. Perhaps you were so clouded by your pursuit of past glory that you willingly abandoned the sanctity held by human life.

S.389 stirs. He feels. More than any of us, in fact. Did you know that there are patterns, in the electromagnetic readings that are recorded within the penrose shell? Certain patterns and simulacrums within the waves. They're similar to brainwave patterns taken with Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Of course, you had banned us from taking MRIs and CAT scans on S.389, citing technological interference as your reasoning. With new information regarding S.389's sentience having come to light, I can only assume that this citation was a lie meant to conceal the truth.

I am not going to abandon this project, Curtis. As a member of the scientific community, my obligation to seeing this entire matter through outweighs the ethical compromise I must make to continue working within this organization. S.389's proposed use as a theoretical end to any and all energy crises, within current physical models, is my life's work. Secondly, my participation in this project has already damned me, should any of this information come to the public eye.

But know this.

They will find out, one day-- and while all your subordinates may find a slap on the wrist due to their contribution to what is essentially a war crime and a violation of human freedom, you will not be let off so easily. You will be found guilty of the highest neglect, and you will burn for it.

That is, if Hector Williams does not find you first.

Aether

Staff Notice No. 45 - Healthcare Coverage

Post by Aether » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:48 am

Meta-Inception Project Black Site Project No. 389 - STAFF NOTICES

From the desk of Curtis West:

Requests to re-negotiate the price of annual healthcare costs have been denied. Due to budgetary restrictions upon the Meta-Inception Project, available funds have been diverted towards far better programs within the division.

Additionally, workers filing for coverage extension regarding carcinogenic growths and cancer have been denied, similarly, due to budgetary restrictions. Subsequently, any and all lawsuits regarding wrongful death suits against the United States government, on behalf of engineers within the Meta-Inception Project, is vehemently discouraged[1].

Might I remind you all that the opportunity you have been presented with is life-changing. My work here, as well as yours, will echo through the threads of history.

- C. W.
NOTICE LOG

Dec. 25th, 2019 - 2200 Hours
Dec. 28th, 2019 - 1600 Hours

Jan. 13th, 2020 - 2200 Hours
Jan. 19th, 2020 - 1600 Hours
Jan. 22th, 2020 - 2200 Hours
Jan. 25th, 2020 - 1600 Hours

Feb. 13th, 2020 - 2200 Hours
Feb. 19nd, 2020 - 1600 Hours

Mar. 13th, 2020 - 2200 Hours
Mar. 19th, 2020 - 1600 Hours
Mar. 22nd, 2020 - 2200 Hours

Apr. 13th, 2020 - 1600 Hours
Apr. 19th, 2020 - 2200 Hours

May 13th, 2020 - 1600 Hours
May 19th, 2020 - 2200 Hours

Jun. 13th, 2020 - 1600 Hours

Jul. 13th, 2020 - 2200 Hours

Aug. 13th, 2020 - 1600 Hours

Sept. 13th, 2020 - 2200 Hours

Footnotes:
[1]: Relating to the recent influx of reports and threats of cancerous growth amongst workers.

Aether

CACHE_RECOVERY_ABERNATHY

Post by Aether » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 pm

SECURE SERVER ACCESS
MIP.BS.389 PORT 185.242.5.99
ATTENTION | ATENCÍON | ВНИМАНИЕ | FAITES ATTENTION
ACCESS IDs ARE SCRUBBED AND RENEWED ON A WEEKLY SCHEDULE.
IF YOU NO LONGER HAVE A VALID ID, PLEASE CONTACT SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION SERVICES ON-SITE.
PLEASE INPUT IDENTIFICATION CREDENTIALS BELOW.
ID NAME: ABERNATHY, SEWAN
APPROVED
PIN: *************
APPROVED
LOGIN SUCCESSFUL
SERVER CORRUPTION DETECTED
RECOVERING AVAILABLE FILES FROM OFF-SITE CACHE

c.west.mip@gov.secureaccess
Wed. 12/25/19 4:05 PM
To: SITE-389@LISTSERV.secureaccess
Subject: "Orientation"

Good evening.

As I am sure you are all aware, we are in the midst of a breakthrough that may help accelerate humanity's evolution through a direct solution to society's severe energy crisis. Each of you have received exemplary marks during the MIP Selective Screening Process, and as such, have been seen as suitable minds to work upon this matter.

You are to report directly to me. All communication regarding on-site matters is to be done via secure access ports such as these, and any discussion relating to S.389 is to be between relevant and qualified personnel ONLY. Any information that may be sensitive to national security should be kept in your mind, not your mouth. After the departure of Teja Docesznic from the Meta Inception Project, any and all matters related to internal affairs are to be dealt with internally, as they should be. It's in the damn term, for God's sake.

Orientation regarding S.389 and your on-site duties are to be conducted throughout the day. You have all been divided into three groups-- Maintenance, Research, and Security. You are expected to report to your respective briefings and complete your respective duties. Discussion of work outside of your designated groups is PROHIBITED. Any violation of this established rule will result in a warning, followed by termination in the event of continued violation.

You have been afforded a gracious opportunity by this government. Do not squander it. Your schedules will be distributed shortly.

- C. WEST, DIRECTOR OF M.I.P. AFFAIRS

j.peterson.mip@gov.secureaccess
Wed. 1/01/20 9:32 AM
To: s.abernathy.mip@gov.secureaccess
Subject: "Lost Scarf"

Hey -- you probably don't know me, but I was at the New Year's Party. I was with Louis and Martin? Just wanted to let you know that I might have your scarf, since Martin told me that it could be yours. I'm at Lodging 86. Knock and I'll answer.

- J.P.

m.vasquez.mip@gov.secureaccess
Sun. 1/05/20 11:00 AM
Subject: "Incompetency"

Walked in today, and what do I see in the containment chamber? Steam leaking out of the fucking coolant pipes. One of the techies must've forgotten to fucking adjust the pressure valve after prepping the daily test. Had to file an incident report. My first fucking shift as containment handler, and I already look incompetent because of somebody else's fuckup.

This just reminds me of our time at MIT, Sewan. Two geniuses in a sea of fucking idiots, even here. Knowing the maintenance crew, somebody's going to let this fucking thing out because they think it's a Christmas tree they forgot to throw out.

Tue. 1/07/20 11:02 AM
Subject: "RE: Gibbs Field Calibration"

Before the test, power output should be at the lower end of ~3000 Terawatts. If the pressure and internal temp of the Penrose are holding, then you're clear to start. Flip the large red switch near the top of the panel. Shit like this should be the maintenance crew's job, but I'm guessing that they don't even trust the techies enough to do something like this.

Wed. 01/29/20 4:00 PM
Subject: "Informational Violations"

It has come to my attention that data has been shared between Maintenance and Research crews. This practice is strictly forbidden. The relevant parties have been reprimanded appropriately, and this notice will serve as a reminder that the transfer of confidential information between interdisciplinary groups will only result in a breach of site security.

Do not be the person that becomes an infamous whistleblower.

h.osterov.mip@gov.secureaccess
Sat. 2/08/20 10:22 AM
Subject: "RE: S.389 Observational Discrepancies"

No I do not know what you are talking about. During my entire testing period I did not see anything like you described. S.389 was inert and unmoving and any attempts to provoke a stimulus response was unsuccessful. If you do not believe me check the recording.

- Henrik Osterov, Senior Research Provider

Thu. 2/20/20 5:53 PM
Subject: "Request"

Hey, it's James again-- just wanted to ask if you'd like to leave the site for dinner somewhere with me, Louis, Martin, and Catherine? I get if you don't want to come. Work has me swamped too. Just wanted to take a night out, haha.

Let me know.

Sun. 3/01/20 11:51 PM
Subject: "Incompetency AGAIN"

I swear to God, I'm going to bash one of these technicians' fucking skulls against the wall one of these days. Pressure valve lowered AGAIN. Let me know if you find out who the maintenance operators are for the shift before me. I'm reporting them to West.

Sea of idiots, Sewan. This entire fucking site is a gaggle of morons.

389.security.mip@do-not-reply.secureaccess
Sun. 3/08/20 1:47 PM
Subject: "SITE-WIDE CONTAINMENT BREACH"

ATTENTION. CRITICAL DAMAGE OF SECURITY MEASURES IN [CONTAINMENT WARD] HAVE BEEN REPORTED. REPORT TO A DESIGNATED EVACUATION BUNKER IMMEDIATELY.

389.security.mip@do-not-reply.secureaccess
Sun. 3/08/20 1:57 PM
Subject: "BREACH CONTAINED"

ATTENTION. [ASSET NO. 389] THREAT HAS BEEN PROPERLY NEUTRALIZED. RESUME REGULATORY DUTIES. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPLIANCE.

h.osterov.mip@gov.secureaccess
Fri. 3/10/20 10:45 PM
Subject: NO SUBJECT

You fucking set me up. Observational logs had that thing moving during your shift. You did not say anything and you FUCKED me stupid bitch. Do you know how much I have worked to get here? This is your fault. My ass is on the fucking line because you fucked up. You dirty fucking cheat. I will make it so that you cannot work as a fucking community college professor you fucking asshole. There were TAPES showing that the fucking asset moved during your shift and you did nothing to report it.

l.baldwin.mip@gov.secureaccess
Sat. 3/11/20 9:12 AM
Subject: "RE: Osterov is Unstable"

Report him to Site Security and bring the e-mails to West. He'll be barred from site activities and escorted out. If you think he's going to hurt you, then try and talk to somebody in power instead of me. I already forwarded our conversation to security.

Sat. 5/23/20 5:43 AM
Subject: "RE: Projected Energy Output"

There is no fucking way that S.389 will reach an output of over 200 PW/hr. That's insane. You're insane. Do you know the energy of the sun hitting the entirety of our atmosphere? ~170 PW. Whatever program you're using, it's bullshit. I'm sorry.

Fri. 7/24/20 4:03 PM
Subject: "Happy Birthday!"

Saw that it was your birthday. Wanted to wish you a happy... 29th, right? Here's to many more, haha.

We're taking you out for drinks tonight, by the way. Martin's staying behind to finish up reports. There's a good bar near the Vegas strip.

Thu. 9/10/20 7:55 AM
Subject: "RE: Something is Wrong"

I cannot emphasize this enough, Sewan. STOP. MESSAGING. ME. ABOUT. THIS. You're going insane. Ever since Osterov snapped and tried to fucking kill you, you've been a ticking time bomb like him. Get help. S.389 is not alive. He does not move. March 8th was a fluke, just like West described. I saw the tapes with my own eyes. Jesus Christ, get over it.

I'm not indulging your fantasies anymore. Get help or don't fucking talk to me anymore. That fucking suit of armor has not spoken a word to anyone for almost a year, and it won't start now. The regeneration of skeletal components was something that Williams allegedly coded into the armor. And-- to that point-- who the fuck KNOWS what's causing it to regenerate. It's fucking generating enough power to supply the entire Western Seaboard, and growing.

Sun. 9/13/20 11:55 AM
Subject: "Termination Notice"

To Sewan Abernathy,

An internal investigation by both site security and senior MIP authority has concluded that your mental well-being and state of mind is a threat to the authenticity of your research. Your delusional reports of S.389's supposed sentience are completely unfounded, and testimonies by your peers have placed you inside the asset's observational chamber past your respective shift timeframe.

Due to the trauma you have sustained at the hands of Henrik Osterov before his termination, we will be allowing your return to Site 389 after a total period of 3 months under hospice care at an institution. If your mental wellness has recovered, we are willing to reinstate your duties to the Meta Inception Project.

I will not tolerate any more of your messages and accusations. Do you understand? S.389 is an object. It is unfeeling.

You will be leaving at the end of this week.

- END CACHE -

Aether

FEED_RECOVERY_S.389.CC

Post by Aether » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:29 pm

FEED [S.389_CC_ROYGBIV].
LIVE RECORDING TRANSCRIPT.
| PENROSE SHELL MONITOR ACTIVE
GIBBS FIELD CHECK: OPTIMAL |
| CAMERA_3A | 35MM 1X
1900 | STATUS: STABLE |

FEED TRANSCRIPT

-

~7:00.
Senior Researcher [M. VASQUEZ] and Junior Observational Officer [J. PETERSON] begin shift at 1900 hours. Both researchers are scheduled for a partnered shift due to their respective duties. They are to conduct an energy output monitor test upon an inert S.389.

-

7:00:32.
M. VASQUEZ records the attendance of both himself and J. PETERSON within TERMINAL_02A, the central console within the testing chamber. It is at this time that the recording software begins audio and visual playback. PETERSON and VASQUEZ are mid-conversation at this time.

-

7:00:34.
[M. VASQUEZ]: out of here, the better. Right? I don't want to be around this thing as much as you do. You heard what they're saying about it?

[J. PETERSON]: No. What?

[M. VASQUEZ]: It's causing the technicians to get cancer. They're around the fuckin' thing so much that it's growing tumors on them.

[J. PETERSON]: Christ alive, Sewan was right to want to get the fuck out of here.

[M. VASQUEZ]: Urgh, fuck, the recording's starting.

[J. PETERSON]: I'll put on my best smile, then.

J. PETERSON's expression remains, at best, neutral. Both researchers fall silent.[/size]

-

7:00:46 - 7:05:56.
Both operators begin the startup of PENROSE SHELL procedural containment equipment. The process takes approximately five minutes, during which time the two men are silent.

-

7:06:06.
[M. VASQUEZ]: Checklist says we need to take it past our usual presets.

[J. PETERSON]: What do you mean?

[M. VASQUEZ]: Says ... "theoretical Petawatt output" by dampening the "[Gibbs] Control Field".

[J. PETERSON]: I do not like the sound of that, Martin.

[M. VASQUEZ]: Keep a thumb over the SCRAM button, then.

M. VASQUEZ begins startup of the Penrose Attunement Shell Ergospheric Reactor (PASER). The process takes approximately one minute.

-

7:07:04 - 7:18:32.
Testing of S.389's power output relative to the GIBBS CONTROL COEFFICIENT begins. On-board monitors at the time of recording were relatively stable; minor fluctuations were recorded as time progressed, but the values were within accepted deviation.

[M. VASQUEZ]: Alright. Dampening the Gibbs Field now.

J. PETERSON lingers near the center of the control panel.

[J. PETERSON]: Careful.

[M. VASQUEZ]: Of course I'm going to be fucking caref

-
FEED END
-