[REQ] Shards of Memory

With a suggested standard of two paragraphs or more and dedicated lore threads, this is for the more verbose roleplayer. (10+ sentences per post, on average.)
UmbraSight
Global Mod

[REQ] Shards of Memory

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:27 am

No one moved nor spoke; they all stood still completely transfixed. Fifteen-thousand eyes all trained on the man who stood at the very center of the grand city square, fifteen thousand entranced by the man’s words. He was not a handsome man, his features were unremarkable, his skin pale, untouched by the sun, his hair an unsettled mess of black, his dull brown-green eyes raked across the gathered people, and his features, sharp chin, pointed nose, thin pink lips, all utterly forgettable. Yet, all fifteen-thousand were enraptured. They clung to each of his words, as he spoke in a weary, languid pace. With only an introduction, he had silenced the frightened mass. He; Head Designer Kane Mori, was a man who could provide the answers to their current predicament. But, with each word that dripped from his lips, what relief was drawn from his presence only waned.

“… regarding the several support tickets which have been received regarding the logout function being missing from the main menu, I would like to take a moment to address any growing concerns.” Mori paused momentarily, to clear his throat, and feeling of unease almost took physical form, as players shifted and metal clicked. “I would wish to inform all of you, and silence any fears that you might be having, this was no bug in the coding nor a minor error which will be shortly resolved. The logout function was intentionally left out of the retail version of the game.”

Noise ripped through the crowd, dozens of questioning shouts mixing in the air into buzz of commotion. With only a wave of his hand, Mori silenced the crowd.

“There is one, and only one way to leave. You must clear every level of this game. But, do not go with haste, Travelers, should your health points reach zero then your physical body shall perish alongside your avatar.” With a wave of his hand, a console took form. With only a few quick movements of his fingers, a sudden wash of light consumed the crowd, and by the time the glimmer faded the crowd which stood there looked nothing similar to the one which had been summoned to the square. “To help remind you of what is at stake, I have set all physical parameters of your avatar to that of your real body.” He said, silencing another confused murmur as he dismissed the menu.

"Now that announcements are out of the way, I welcome you all to my world, Shards of Memory." A thin smile curled his pale lips, and Mori bowed. Scrolling glyphs twisted integrate patterns as they crawled up his body from his feet. With a shudder, his image shivered, and deteriorated into sheets of paper.

The tome slowly descended to where Mori had been standing a moment ago. There was a creak of ancient leather, as the book opened, as if pulled by some invisible hand. Words scrawled themselves across the blank page.

Chapter One:
Betrayal.

Welcome, Traveler…

A stunned silence hung over the crowd, held for three beats of a heart before finally being broken by a single shrill scream.

-------------

Shards of memory was officially announced late in 2026, and was received with equal parts skepticism and hype. Unlike, or perhaps much like its lesser virtual reality cousins, SoM touted a full sensory integration into the game not seen since the days of the Neuro-Pods Arcades of the early 2000’s, before a series of home console systems began to gain a more popular following. The home consoles were well known to offer a lesser sensory integration than the powerful machines of the arcades, but still remained popular. The alpha test for Shards of Memory, launched on November 28, 2026 all by silenced skeptical voices.

The game itself was fairly rudimentary, the interface simple and often hard to navigate in a pinch, with simple quest lines and tasks, but it was the gameplay itself. The experience of feeling fully within the game which silenced skeptical voices. And the following beta test on April 2, 2027 only went on to show the game’s potential as a more polished version of the game was presented. A better menu system with a simple companion AI, as well as more in depth quest lines turned the game into one of the most talked about releases of that year.

Only fifteen thousand copies were announced for the first wave, and all fifteen thousand sold out in a matter of hours. November 27, 2027 was the game’s official release, and the full fifteen thousand was reported to have logged on by five hours after the servers went live.

By the sixth hour, the dream game had turned into a nightmare. The logout function was removed and the Neuvo-Link Cos the game came bundled with was a trap. When a player’s health reached zero, the headgear would destroy their brain stem.

How long Traveler, will you be able to survive?
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Chryslon

Re: [Req] Shards of Memory

Post by Chryslon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:58 am

If this Roleplay was already booted up before the wipe and there's no more room, I fully understand. Don't hesitate to tell me.

But at the same time, I really like the concept. Quite similar to that of SAO. Is there any possibility of a new member added to the cast?

...Pretty please?
Selling my kidney to pay for this month's rent.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:01 am

I'm actually giving the whole thing a hard reboot to deal with a bunch of mechanics that are being added in which myself and some other members have been putting together for the past while, so feel free to join in. I don't know how long until I have the OOC up, but the CS thread is already up so go ahead and start working on your character.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 pm

If you would like to include his currently equipped skills, you are free to do so, I have an actual list of available early game skills somewhere lol.

Flamma

Post by Flamma » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm a huge min maxer irl so I would love to see that skill list And I definitely want to join this.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Keep in mind much of this is currently being rewritten, so some might be subject to change in the coming days:

And feel free to make a CS Flamma~

Starting Skills:

Weapon Family:
While any weapon can be used to attack, the player can only used Weapon Skills while they have the correct Weapon Family equipped.

Cooking:
I think you can guess what cooking does for you.

Survival:
The survival skill allows a player to build a campfire and set up a temporary safe zone while outside of a town.

Rejuvenation:
Once a player takes damage, their health will start to slowly regenerate, the Rejuvenation skill increases the rate of health recovery. This skill is completely passive, and experience is gained based on the amount of health recovered.

Smithing:
Grants the player the ability to craft, upgrade, and repair metal armors and weapons. Player smiths have a higher success rate than their NPC counterparts of similar levels.

Crafting:
Grants the player the ability to create and repair cloth clothes and undergarments as well as cloth and leather armors.

Hiding:
Hiding allows the player to escape the detection of monsters and other players. How hidden a player is at any given time is shown as a percentage in the upper right hand side of their HUD, a player can toggle if they want the percentage to appear at any time by changing their settings in the menu.

Detection:
Hunting allows players to perceive hiding monsters or players, as well as disarm traps around hidden chests. Detection can also be used to track a particular kind of monster, or a player on the user’s friends list.

Weapon Skills:
All weapons within the game are divided into broad categories or families, and all weapons within a family share the same skills. All players start off with the same basic skills, but as a player gains proficiently within that weapon family, the skills which unlock will be chosen based on the playstyle of the user rather than a predetermined skill set. It is also of note that there are certain weapon skills which can only be activated by a particular weapon.

Basic Skills:

Rapier Family:
Vector - A perfectly straight attack with a high critical chance and moderate bonus damage.

Western Family:
Typically one handed blades which are similar in style to European swords

Linear:
A single horizontal slice.

Eastern Family:

Slant:
An upward strike which slices from lower left to upper right, or vice versa.

Dragon’s Burst:
A fast draw-slash which deals high damage, but leaves the user vulnerable due to a few second motion delay.

Scimitar Family:

Bleed - A fast slashing attack which has a slight chance of inflicting a bleed out state which drains the opponent’s health for a short period of time.

Dagger Family:

Whisper:
A viper quick reverse grip strike which has an extremely high chance of hitting a critical hit.

Pole Arm Family:
Lances, spears, and halberds.

Thrust:
A pointed strike where the head of the sear is driven into the target.

Tumble:
The shaft of the polearm is swung into the legs of the opponent, with a high chance of staggering the enemy or causing the enemy to fall. Does not affect bosses.

Two-Handed Family:
Encompasses a mixture of great swords and battle axes, this family deals high damage with long attack wind-ups.

Crush:
A downward smash where the weight of the weapon is used to in a violent downward swing.

Avalanche:
The weapon is swung hard into the side of the opponent, crunching through armor and dealing high damage.

Thrown Family:
A collection of throwing knives and darts.

Toss - A single projectile is thrown at the opponent, with system assistance to ensure that the weapon will hit the target.

Martial Arts Family:
Skills which involve no weapons, and use only the body to damage the opponent. Several different styles of martial arts can be chosen, for players who already know a thing or two about fight fights.

Dual Wield Family:
Not so much as a assortment of weapon types with similar styles of use, as a collection of skills aimed at players who wield two weapons at the same time. There are no exact rule on what weapons can be used at once.

Chryslon

Post by Chryslon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:25 am

Alright, I believe my CS is good to go. If it's not too much of a bother, could you look it over quickly Umbra? I just want to ensure that it meets your preferences and standards.

SixxSage

Post by SixxSage » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:29 am

Expect something soon. It's been a while since I've been in a "stuck in a game" RP.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:54 am

Lets see, first thing which comes to mind is that his bio is too short, though the remaining sections are fine. And a second quick note, tumble would be a status effect, not a player skill.

Chryslon

Post by Chryslon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:58 am

Ahhh, gotcha. I'll extend the bio a paragraph or two. And sorry, I was a bit confused with the skills aspect, completely my bad.