Dogs Eat Dogs: A New Era [REQ]

With a suggested standard of two paragraphs or more and dedicated lore threads, this is for the more verbose roleplayer. (10+ sentences per post, on average.)
newnostalgia

Dogs Eat Dogs: A New Era [REQ]

Post by newnostalgia » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:59 pm

As its light filters through the foggy morning air, the rising sun creates a golden haze that makes the grey, broken ground of the dilapidated factory seem almost as alive as it had been when it was thriving.

A curious, fuzzy nose pokes in the doorless entryway to the place. The nostrils twitch. The creature is unsure if this is a safe place or not.

After a few moments of standing entirely still, the beast steps into what is left of building. It is a majestic buck deer, standing about five feet. Its antlers are wide and tall, and it seems almost as if it has branches sprouting from its head. Its footsteps are light and graceful, despite its mighty stature.

It approaches the center of the factory, where a large crack in the floor reveals a single, rather grey dandelion bud. It lowers its mighty neck and gently plucks the weed from the ground with its large teeth. As it chews, it raises its head and looks about the room, large, black eyes curious.

Its eye catches a glint of something silver in the light, but before it can register what is happening, it falls to its knees and lets out a groan of pain. When it flops to its side, dust plumes up, mixing with the fog and making thick clouds.

There is a silver arrow in the beast’s heart, and when the clouds dissipate, the archer, a small, freckled boy, comes to retrieve it.

As he runs across the ground, he senses something awry. He tries to push forward, but he soon is on the ground, his own heart struck with an arrow, though this one is golden.

Dogs eat dogs,” says the voice, most likely the owner of the golden arrow. “That’s the way of life out on the Frontier.”

- - -

After the incident that brought the Anno Domini period to a sudden close, only ten thousand people remained on what was left of the continent of North America. With no electricity and little medicine, clean water, and food to eat, in a year’s time, only four thousand people were alive.

The year is now 298 Novi Anni, or NA, and the population of North America is roughly twenty-five thousand. Small societies have begun to form in small patches around the continent of all varieties; however, there is one area that is yet to have any establishments grow from it. This is known to all as the Frontier.

The Frontier is the land that no one wishes to touch. There are areas that are so overgrown that one risks drowning in leaves every two steps, and there are areas that are so barren that there is nothing left but ash.

Many societies will mark outcasts with a mark that bars them from joining any other societies. They then force the outcasts into the Frontier to suffer.

Thus, the expansive Frontier has become how to new types of loose societies: Cents.

Cents, also known as Centers, are loose groups that follow one autocratic leader. This leader, called the Head, comes into power by proving their prowess and amassing Limbs, or followers, or by toppling the previous leader. Limbs are given marks as symbols of their membership, and if they ever wish to leave a Cent, they must either carve off the limb that was marked with the symbol or battle the Head.

Cents are not all bad, though. For one, Cents allow for a sense of unity, and it can be easier to hunt for food in groups. Meals and shelter are often guaranteed, too, and, hey, you may even have the security to settle down and start a family.

However, some believe that the bad far outweighs the good in Cents. Member have strict quotas for game that they must obtain, and they are not allotted their own kills for trade. If they do not meet the quotas, then they are punished or humiliated in front of the Cent. Cents also tend to have harsh feelings towards other Cents, and thus it can be dangerous to do anything alone outside of your Cent’s territory without the risk of being killed immediately. Cent members often prey upon one another, too, and are rewarded under the table for it by the Head.

There is plenty of land not owned by Cents in which people can choose to live, but many people who choose not to join Cents die within two months of being thrown out into the Frontier. Even those who are not thrown out and instead choose to adventure and explore (or search for answers) do not often survive. In addition to this, many Cent members choose to live on this land to find more food or get new recruits.

Welcome to the Novi Anni, where dogs eat dogs.

- - -

Hey there! I hope that you find this world's concept interesting! I'm new to this site, but I've had this concept for a while and decided that I may as well share it!

This is the basic set up to this world, and there are many stories that can happen within it, so I may use this world in future roleplays, too, haha!

The main setting here is the Frontier. I do not really have a singular “plot” in mind, as I think that creating one with the characters that everyone make will be the most fun way to do it. How they get together, what the plot’s progression is, and how successful they are in survival is really all up to the characters made and their dynamics.

If you're interested, just respond here! If you have any questions, feel free to ask them below, and I'll do my best to answer them!

I'd like to begin with a group of 2 - 4 people (not including myself), but if more want to join, then they can!

Find the OOC/Lore Log here: https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8#p378298

Find the RP here: https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4#p378304

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by newnostalgia on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

newnostalgia

Re: Dogs Eat Dogs: A New Era [REQ]

Post by newnostalgia » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Character Sheet:

Here is the character sheet. I ask that you fill it out here so I can see it before you post it on the "official"(ish) CS post.

When I do give ya the go-ahead, the link to the CS is below!

https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 88#p377988

Name: Be as wild or as simple as you'd like!

Nickname/s: Got a nickname or two?

Hair color: Preferably natural colors, but up to you.

Eye color: Again, preferably natural colors.

Height and build: Are they 5'0" and stocky? 6'0" and thin? Give a the height and basic build of the character.

Appearance info: Appearance information goes here. (Not required.)

Cent loyalty (if applicable): If your character belongs to a Cent, then say that here! Give the Cent a name, and tell what the symbol is and where it is on the body.

Clothing preference: Because this is post-apocalyptic, clothing choices may be limited, so be creative and specific on what their clothing typically looks like!

Weapons (if any): Do they carry any weapons? Remember, you have to transport these via your person, so you can't have anything heavy. Also, batteries are scarce, and electricity is practically non-existent, so be sure to keep that in mind.

Possessions (if any): Do they carry any possessions? Remember, you have to transport these via your person, so you can't have anything heavy. Also, batteries are scarce, and electricity is practically non-existent, so be sure to keep that in mind.

Background: What's their history? How did they end up in the Frontier? Did they come here by choice, or were they exiled? Perhaps they were born here? Give all the juicy details.

Skills/talents: Just don't make 'em too OP is all I ask.

Personality: What kind of person are they?

Others view me as: How do others see you?

Character theme: What song is your character's anthem?

Miscellaneous: Got any info that you couldn't put anywhere else? Put it here!

Face claim: If you have a face claim, link the image here!

---

Blank Character Sheet:

Name:

Nickname/s:

Hair color:

Eye color:

Height and build:

Appearance info:

Cent loyalty (if applicable):

Clothing preference:

Weapons (if any):

Possessions (if any):

Background:

Skills/talents:

Personality:

Others view me as:

Character theme:

Miscellaneous:

Face claim:
Last edited by newnostalgia on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Dogs Eat Dogs: A New Eon [REQ]

Post by illirica » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:22 pm

This looks fabulous! I'd definitely be interested in joining. I'm pretty busy today with IRL stuff but I could get you a character sheet some time tomorrow if that works.

newnostalgia

Post by newnostalgia » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:26 pm

@illirica Yes, that'd be absolutely wonderful!

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:23 am

Character Sheet:

Name: Lok

Nickname/s: None.

Hair color: Bald.

Eye color: Brown

Height and build: Five foot Nine. Lean and toned. Weighes roughly 140 lbs.

Appearance info: A man with a great many markings.

Cent loyalty: The Rara. Or "running men." A group of hunters who follow the old ways of the hunt and condition themselves and their offspring to run and chase down prey the same way which various people did during pre-historic times. Joining the tribe incurs grueling trials out of in the frontier to scavenge and hunt with nothing more than either spears, axes or bows and arrows. Guns and traps are not allowed.

Being comprised of many races, they instead adorn themselves with markings and reward merit. Most everyone in the tribe is adept with both hunting and has at least some degree of skill in cooking and prepping meat.

Clothing preference: Usually opting to go with nothing more than a set of pants so as to allow himself to run and move the most efficiently and freely.

He wears very little most often -- usually only choosing to run outside with nothing more than leather animal skin wrappings around his feet if he chooses to wear anything at all on his feet. During the colder months, he will usually wear a ragged hoodie. He has bits of armor on his arms.

Weapons:
  • Spear: A long stick carved out a sturdy, laminated wood well suited for break bone and standing up to the likes of sword and animal teeth alike. Tipped with a long solid steel knife made by a blacksmith.
  • Knife: A Bowie Knife made from a steel file. Extremely hard and has sword like cutting power, able to chop wood and skull in half alike. As well as hack off limbs.
Possessions:
  • Backpack
  • Lantern with candles
  • A plastic jar of Honey.
  • Several Granola Bars
  • Energy Bars
  • Several dark chocolate bars.
  • A small bag of Jolly Ranchers.
  • Bags of beef Jerky
  • A pot to boil water and lid.
  • A lighter.
  • Several Bottles of water.
Background: The man's tale is one of a man who is simply out to prove himself. Always one to get himself in trouble and harbor views outside of those of the tribe -- he was the first who chose to volunteer to explore the Frontier in the name of the Rara. And to search for a potential food grows more and more scarce and crops non-existent.

He expected to return sooner than later. Possibly to find resources for the tribe as a whole to gather, unless he meets his demise.

Skills/talents:
  • Endurance: A high tolerance to pain, discomfort, prolonged exertion and fatigue.
  • Ultra-Marathon Stamina: Able to run miles upon miles with minimal food to chase down animals such as deer, rabbits, elk and other such creatures.
  • Spear Throwing: Can throw a spear with great accuracy.
  • Spear-Fighting: Similar to bayonet fighting. Is trained to fight armored and unarmored opponents using a spear.
  • Hunting: Able to hunt down and kill down most animals.
  • Skinning: Able to skin animals and devise pelts from their hides.
  • Cooking: Mostly able to cook meats.
  • Tracking: Able to track the trail of people and animals through the wilderness using tracks and disruptions in the brush. He relies on mostly visual ques and investigation to find people.
  • Hand-to-Hand combat: Boxing, Kickboxing and Wrestling
Personality: At times seemingly distant and emotionally controlled, Lok is a stoic. Conditioned to be accustomed to death. Lok is more curious of "outsiders" then he would like to admit however.

Others view me as: Lunatic. Thug.

Character theme:
Face claim
Last edited by Lord of Nothing on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Golden_
Silver

Post by Golden_ » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:29 am

I'm interested as well!
...was adopted by Satan himself, before [she] was returned out of fear of [her] awkwardness

newnostalgia

Post by newnostalgia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:35 am

@Lord of Nothing Absolutely wonderful! I've created a Character Sheet, so, if you don't mind, go ahead and post all his info over there! https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 88#p377988

@Golden_ Wonderful! Just fill out a CS here whenever you're ready, and I'll let ya know if it looks good! After that, you can post it on the CS!

Jhibus
Bronze

Post by Jhibus » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:13 am

Been looking to get back into writing, and I'm interested. I'll try and get a character sheet up soon.
*sterile cough*

Golden_
Silver

Post by Golden_ » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Hey, I had a question about the Frontier. Where about is it located in NA? What's the climate like?
...was adopted by Satan himself, before [she] was returned out of fear of [her] awkwardness

newnostalgia

Post by newnostalgia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:17 pm

@Jhibus Sounds great!

@Golden_ I made a quick lil map of it! The colored bit is considered the Frontier. It shrinks slightly every few years as more societies are established, but this is the general span of it!

Last edited by newnostalgia on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.