Legacy: Chapter One

kotetsu

Re: Legacy: Chapter One

Post by kotetsu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 am

Roy expected a formal meeting of sorts and was just trying to stay out of trouble. He perked up a little bit at the thought of food came to his mind once more. That was real bacon he smelled. He had only had the opportunity to taste it a few times in his life. Growing up poor in the Federation didn’t expose him too much to good food, and it didn’t improve by any significant degree in prison, or even when he was drafted into a program to plug wires into his head to pilot a robot.

He looked away at first and stared into a corner of the room as James acknowledged him back. Slowly however he got up out of the chair as if James walking away was an opportunity. He hardly noticed the little one whose name he’d either never learned or already forgotten wander off to a griddle. He was sizing up the buffet before him, might as well have been a feast for a king in his eyes. Pancakes… not really his speed, but he grabbed two from a platter anyways and places them on a plate. They would serve their purpose well. Seven or eight-ish strips would fall into place on top of one of the pancakes in a messy pile. What was next? Eggs, Akari mentioned eggs. The little one was watching the eggs. Edging in off to the side of the griddle he’d give her an awkward glance, made awkward for him mostly because he wasn’t used to looking down to make direct eye contact.

“Pardon me…” he said as politely as he could muster. His low voice had a bit of a grumble that made him a little hard to understand.

He reaches out for a spatula cast off to the side and slides an honestly not quite done sunny side up egg onto the remaining pancake, then moves along. Half the bacon strips make their way onto the egg, crushing the yellow yolk under their weight as his eyes widen. He makes a B-line for a nearby refrigerator. He opens it up and just stands there for a moment. Holy shit… ketchup… and hot sauce, all in one place. An ample squirt of both wind up on top of the gooey mess of bacon and yellow egg yolk, slowly mixing in, topped by the remaining strips of bacon, and the remaining pancake forming a breakfast sandwich from the depths of hell.

He kicks the refrigerator door close behind him and takes a large messy bite of his creation and starts to make his way back to a seat. Then he remembered the coffee. He needed something bitter to balance out the goodness that was… ah the hell with it. Eyeing the abandoned jar of sugar he grabs it and dumps an obscene amount into a loose coffee cup. The hot coffee the follows melts it down into an overly sweet yet bitter pallet cleanser that he takes back to his seat.
Current Characters
Roy McLean, JJ...
Currently Active RP's
Legacy: Chapter One, Crossroads: Chapter 1...
(RIP Azuria)

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Breakfast had been a good call. It encouraged people to trickle in, one at a time, most with polite greetings before they set about figuring out what they wanted to eat. In some cases, that seemed to be an entire canister of sugar - in other cases... well, it looked like one of their teammates was making an attempt at suicide by gastronomical implosion. Alia gave the construction a look of uninhibited horror, shaking her head in hopelessness.

Akari had already taken the liberty of engaging one of their teammates in a private conversation, so it seemed like he had some plans. She wasn't going to pry into what they were - that was his business, after all. She was just here to patch things up - probably myocardial infarction at this rate. She grabbed a plate anyway, adding a sensible two pancakes and two eggs - actually cooked, not attempting to escape the plate, thank you - and wondered if anyone on this ship had heard of 'vegetables.'

She set her plate down and grabbed a small container from the refrigerator while Mr. Mclean was looking through it - an actual dairy product, she noted, not just processed imitation lactic beverage supplement. Good enough to add a generous amount to a cup that she topped off with fresh coffee before taking a seat at the table.

"So, what brings all of you out here?" she inquired, affably. Knowing what motivated people was a good start towards working together, after all, and a team that worked well together looked out for each other, which meant less injuries all around. It wasn't that Alia didn't enjoy her work, of course, but the best job for a doctor to have to do was no job at all.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 am

Kit sipped on her coffee as she listened to Jame’s speak. In trouble it seemed she was not, but oh did it leave her open to cause a bit of trouble which definitely brought a grin to her lips. It did leave open an important question, was he just aiming to cover bases or was it a gut feeling that something very wrong was happening? If she had learned anything from soldiering it was to trust when a seasoned sergeant had a gut feeling. Kit blew some steam off the top of her cup as she contemplated.

“What’re you feeling, fireworks or a bar-b-que?” She asked. She tipped the dregs of her cup back as James asked her to take on a right hand role. She couldn’t help but chuckle as she tapped her cup against her palm.

“It’d be my pleasure,” Kit said, flicking her index finger up, “but with one important condition, no word of this get back to the Colonials, or I’ll never hear the end of it.” She said with a wink, but after a moment’s pause her expression turned serious.

“Humor me, your gut feeling, what are you expecting planet side?”
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 am

"Definitely a bit of both, like Trailblazer Week in the colonies, you know?" James chuckled and finished off his coffee, discretely spitting the grounds back into his cup. "It's a predominately icy world, so fire on ice makes for a real nice spectacle, and if we have to go close quarters, I'd rather you burn whoever we run into rather than blast the whole facility."

Trailblazer Week was a festival celebrated by nearly every human colony in the Asterian Galaxy. It was a festival to mark Humanity's arrival in Asteria, and to remember the brave souls who lost their lives during the Exodus, and their new place in their new home. Some rejected it, such as the Soviets, who claimed it was disrespectful to Humanity's "true homeworld", the Earth, while many others found it to be a very joyful time to be a human being, the one week where you knew that no matter where you were in the galaxy, you knew that other humans were celebrating with you.

"You have my word." James said with a smirk. "I promise, if you have to lift a pen, I'll buy you a round." The soldier was sincere, and he knew how much the brass wanted everything in ink.

Akari's smile died though as he listened to what she said next, and tapped his combat boot against the floor. "Honestly... and don't let this get to the crew." He leaned in a bit closer to Kit, making sure no one was walking past. "I have no goddamn idea."

"At first I thought marauders, maybe Valkyrians… but the command ship wouldn't even be in orbit if they'd shown up, and they've logged no new arrivals since the last crew transport left two weeks ago. According to protocol, we're supposed to be prepared for offworld combatants, but my gut says whatever is going on down there, it's something that the higher-ups don't want people hearing about." James gave the soldier a look, less carefree than before, more tactical and 'on the level'. "C'mon, you're a soldier. They would've sent a warship with a whole battalion if they thought this was an invasion. I have a feeling that whoever sent us knows what's going on down there, but has made a point by not telling us."

"My first order as squad leader is this, keep your eyes sharp and ears pricked. You hear somethin' fishy and you make a note of it, copacetic?
]

AnonymousGhost

Post by AnonymousGhost » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:20 am

Revelation leaned aside to allow ample room for the man—what had Akari called him? Mr. McLean?—to grab some eggs to add to his breakfast concoction that somehow managed to look both very enticing and very disconcerting. She bit back a smile as she noticed him dump an inordinate amount of sugar into a coffee cup. McLean then returned to his seat and Dr. Asai followed suit. Revelation shifted around so that she was leaning against the counter with her back to the wall; she kept the kitchen entryway and her fellow teammates in her front view.

“So, what brings all of you out here?”

Revelation knew Dr. Asai’s question was meant to instigate conversation and thus some kind of bonding among the crew members, and she was genuinely curious to hear everyone’s answers, but truth was a tricky thing. She couldn’t admit that she had come here hoping to acquire help. An under-the-table op like this one required dangerous individuals, and when you first meet such individuals, your first step shouldn’t be to admit you need help. If Revelation admitted she needed help, she’d be seen as vulnerable. That vulnerability would get her marked as easy prey. And everyone turns on easy prey. However, she was surprised to find that she didn’t like the idea of deliberately lying to the crew. Akari seemed nice enough. McLean had had the decency to say, “pardon me.” Dr. Asai had chosen to spend her life saving people. The lieutenant seemed to be the exuberant, friendly kind.

Perhaps half-truths would suffice.

“Curiosity,” Revelation answered, an impish grin pulling at the edge of her lips. “I heard rumors and whispers on some of my networks that James Akari himself was looking for recruits for an unknown reason. I just couldn’t pass it up.”

None of it was a lie. It still made her feel guilty though.
Character(s): Revelation Namoor in Legacy: Chapter One

Gimme the yeet bois and free my soul, I wanna get tossed in a fuckin hole

BanefulMelody

Post by BanefulMelody » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:54 am

For a moment, an inkling of self-preservation reared its head - what if she just locked the door and ran? far away from this, far away from the things she didn't understand - but the process was terminated, buried beneath more important, more logical directives. This station was, for all intents and purposes, her responsibility, which meant if anything was going down, it was her job to fix it. Whether or not that meant fixing it herself or finding the proper person for the job...

Y'know, like security personnel, like the guy that was currently in there screaming bloody murder.

Nonsensical directive. There were other security personnel, currently handling whatever situation arose at the research site. Besides, someone with the injuries that man sustained is incapable of properly fulfilling his role. Even if he is presently in danger, which has still not been verified, it's foolish to assume you're incapable of handling it yourself.

The android glanced at her human companion, suddenly realizing her hand had been trembling. Shameful. Embarrassment quickly replaced the anxiety, and after a few scrambled moments of recompilation, the embarrassment was replaced with resolve. She checked the feed again - Leon wasn't visible. The room itself, however, was: An overturned cot and a trail of blood the only signs of her resident patient, the tables surrounding in absolute shambles. The probability of a dangerous situation elevated slightly, on par with the poor man merely being delusional from his wounds.

Objectively, at least. Subjectively - she assumed the worst.

"Stay here," she ordered, pulling her hand free from Estelle's and holding her arm across her chest, pushing the engineer back against the wall. "Mr. Leon is most likely in shock from his injuries, and may be violent. You will be safer outside."

Assume the worst, say the best. Morale is a value best kept high.

Steadying herself, Aurora checked the safety on her scanner, crouched beside the door, and opened it with one hand. Then, quick as she could manage, she rounded the corner, focusing all of her attention on analyzing and reacting to whatever lay behind.

kotetsu

Post by kotetsu » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:11 am

The chair slid across the floor a bit louder that Roy had expected it to. He already knew he was at the mercy of being in the room with other people, but wasn’t expecting to have to socialize with them. Ain’t nothing he could relate to with these types far as he knew. Right about now he could really use someone attempting to beat him to death with one of the remaining empty chairs so he could both distract from and demonstrate his reasons for being here all at once. Instead the bloody chair had to go and call attention to his general direction didn’t it? Lotta good it was doin him right now other than given him a place to plant his ass down and enjoy breakfast.

Well… the little pointy eared one opened up, and after taking a moment to wonder if her ears had been pointy this whole time he supposed he ought to speak. He had to do it eventually, weird as it was. They were going to find out one way or another, some of them probably already knew and were just being po0lite. He swallowed his current bite of food and wipes his mouth.

“Mutual benefit.” He said.

His eyes darted back and forth, for a moment as he tried to cut it short at that.

“I got a prison sentence that needs years shaved off it, people that sent me here need a giant robot field tested, and the Sergeant needs someone to bash some skulls in.”

He let that though sink in for a moment, as his eyes wandered off in the direction James had wandered off in, as if he wanted to ask why he had wandered off with the other in the first place.
Current Characters
Roy McLean, JJ...
Currently Active RP's
Legacy: Chapter One, Crossroads: Chapter 1...
(RIP Azuria)

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:06 pm

One for pure curiosity, and one to work off a prison sentence. Alia nodded a little bit at the information, working her way through breakfast while the others haltingly revealed what little information they were willing to share. She settled back with her coffee cup as the stories - such as they were - wrapped up.

"People join these things for all sorts of different reasons," she said, relaxed. A lot of that statement was simply signaling - letting them know that she wasn't about to start being judgmental about why they were here, or what they had been doing before. "I've seen a wide variety of people who are nonetheless able to work together - and, on the other hand, some who are very similar who aren't able to coexist at all." She sipped from the drink, hot liquid heaven that was not going to do anything to help her quit caffeine any time soon. She might as well nurse the addiction while the coffee was good - she could stop another time, when she was working for someone serving the usual industrial caffeine product that doubled as engine oil.

"I don't like patching people up from fighting their teammates," she added, a hint of a warning. War injuries were one thing, but fixing a laceration because two idiots couldn't refrain from punching each other over who got the nicer spare coupling cable? That was an infernal waste of Alia's time. "I'm sure Mr. Akari will give you all the get-along talk, but if it gets physical I won't be happy. There's plenty of conflict to be found elsewhere - whether we like it or not."

Alia sighed, resigned. As much as she would like a peaceful universe, it wasn't going to happen - and that was why people like these were necessary. "I suppose, in fairness, why I'm here? I like the... pressure, I think. The feeling of doing something worthwhile in a situation where most wouldn't follow. It's not just about taking care of people, it's about being there with them, on the field. Taking care of things quickly enough that some of them get to come home again. The need to have a steady hand under fire... I suppose it's exciting, in its own way. And maybe that makes me sound a bit more like an adrenaline junkie than a doctor, but if nothing else, I'm a licensed adrenaline junkie who can stitch up the holes, so I like to think I'm useful to have around. I try not to be too standoffish, either, so if anyone ever wants to come by for a chat, you're more than welcome to do so. It's honestly kind of nice to get to know people a bit on the outside."

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:02 am

The soldier didn't want to admit it, but he knew he was going to die. The shrapnel had been bad, but he could've pulled through... but now, his chances of survival were dropping by the minute.

Leon dragged his leg with him as he crawled across the cold, sterile med bay floor over to the wall closest to the doors. The closer he was, the better chance he had to found, at least he thought. The door had been locked from the inside, not by him, but someone. Leon didn't have time to think about who, he could only concern himself with keeping his eyes open, keeping himself alive for as long as he could. He looked back at the long trail of blood he had left behind. Scratch that, it was dropping by the second.

I can't die here, not here... oh God please, not here...

He was a medic, he knew he wouldn't have much longer if someone didn't come soon, and he knew he was a few short breaths away from falling into shock, and then bleeding out on the floor while his mind wandered too far to do anything. He couldn't die, he knew he couldn't. He knew that he needed to stay alive because that's what his order was, that's all he was told to do. Without him, who would patch them up? Who would save them when he was gone? Leon began to feel his eyelids grow heavier and his breathing began to slowly grow softer.

Warm? Why do I feel warm? It feels... it feels nice...
It's nice...
Nice...

You know why, idiot. You're dying, remember? You're a medic, you know what's happening. You know what you need to do.

Leon took a sharp breath as he pressed his fingers into the wound on his abdomen. Immediately pain surged through his entire body, his eyes shot open and he clenched his bloody fist and let out a curse through gritted teeth. "Fucking hell..." Leon managed to say as he took another pained breath and laid his head back against the wall. "Just a little longer... they'll come back for you, Lieutenant said she would..." Leon reassured himself as he took a deep breath and let it out with a groan.

"Maybe I am going to die here..."

He almost smiled as he closed his eyes, but the pain kept his face locked and his teeth chattering. Who knows, maybe I'll meet the Angels after all... maybe she was right all along?

Just as he began to nod off, he heard the door open and a pair of light footsteps as a figure rounded the corner and stood above him, pistol in hand and a halo of shinning light that wrapped the figure's head in heavenly radiance. Leon lazily shifted his head towards them. The Lieutenant? No, she was too tall, too graceful to be his battle-hardened mercenary commander. She had to be the real thing.

An Angel.

Leon, the wounded soldier parted his lips and with the all strength and consciousness he could spare, he spoke. "You're more beautiful than I could've ever imagined... thank you."

- - -

J-4-X

Far, far above the icy world of Threshold, a small freighter broke out of subspace with a deafening crack that vibrated through the rings of gas and rock that circled the planet. The salvage ship was in a bad state before it had went under, and coming out only made things worse. The hull had multiple breaches, propulsion was all but gone, and J-4-X's olfactory receptors could distinguish the telltale smell of fuel in the air as he made his way through his ship, trying to patch up as much as he could as the ship was slowly drifting towards the ice planet.

It was simple, he didn't have the means to repair his ship. Not from orbit at least, and not soon enough on his own. It seemed the only option was going to be to put her down on the rock, trying to make the landing as soft as he possibly could.

From what the navigation systems could show the android, there looked to be only one landing pad lit on the world, at a spaceport of some kind simply designated as "The Hub", whether or not it sounded promising was out of the question. It looked like it was the only shot he had to fix his ship.

Hopefully, the station would have parts and fuel, and a good mechanic too if luck was really on his side today.
]

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:16 pm

“Well, shit,” there really wasn’t much surprise laced into her words, simply the resignation of having her suspicions confirmed. Ah, the joys of military intelligence, always ready to tell you at least a third of what you need to know. Though, wasn’t half as nerve wracking as when the spooks actually knew what was going on, that was the real bad juju.

“So, an off world wetwork team sent to some backwater research post,” she idly swirled the remaining grounds in the bottom of her cup. Given the nature of the post, and the climate in the planet that seemed unlikely. “Or a more local problem.” She chuckled, her grin returning with ease at the mention of a fleet not being sent in.

“Top brass never do like having their dirty laundry aired.” She agreed. “Aye, if something smells off I’ll speak up, I’m not looking to get shot over a rear admiral's pet science project.”
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III