[ADV] Retaliation

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Admin

Poetic Ghost

[ADV] Retaliation

Post by Poetic Ghost » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 am

Above Neo-Tokyo, The Monarch

Jacques' Gentlemen

"Harder."

The android pushed it's metallic fingers deeper into the man's back. It's fingers vibrated slowly, relieving stress as it massaged his muscles.

"That's enough." He said, after several minutes. "Deactivate." He ordered the machine as he buttoned his shirt and fixed his tie.

As he finished, a holographic image of a female Lupine lit the room. "Mr. Fukushima, we're now orbiting Neo-Tokyo."

Fukushima stood up and reached his arm over his head, touching his fingers behind his back. "And how are our friends?"

"Fine. No serious problems so far."

"Good, I'll meet them in the foyer in ten minutes, would you be so kind and call them down, Camille?"

"I'm Captain Yoren. Even to you, Jacques."

Jacques stiffened as she referred to him by his first name. He had not been referred to so simply like that since he was a boy.

"I will remember that, Captain."

With some animosity, Yoren tipped her hat to the man, and the hologram faded away. When she was finally gone, Jacques pushed his hair back and took a breath of air.

"It's showtime."

---

Above Neo-Tokyo, White Fang

Amarok's Motley Crew

White Fang wasn't a pretty ship, is wasn't even a modern ship. What it lacked in looks, it made up in character. From it's rusty hull, to the weird smell, it fitted Amarok perfectly. It had seen him through plenty of high times, close calls, and getaways. He wouldn't trade anything for The Fang.

The inside wasn't nearly as unkempt as the exterior. The beds were clean and well-made, the mess hall was clean and maintained, and the equipment was mostly new.

Hale looked out the cockpit's viewport at the planet below. Even from here, the neon lights hurt his eyes. They had been moving around the Verse for a week, food was getting repetitive, and the crew was getting anxious. At first he had been against bringing them all to Tokyo, but now he was certain it would be a good warm-up before they had to get to work.

The intercom crackled to life. And the familiar husky voice of Hale Amarok "This is your dearly beloved Captain. I'd like to be the first to welcome you all to Neo-Tokyo. This will be the first stop on our trip. We won't be here for too long, so don't get unpacking just yet... but I wouldn't go down there naked... that, uh, that was a joke, by the way."

After brief moment of silence, Hale's voice came back.

"Um... mess hall in five, okay?"

---

Welcome to Retailiation. I know this is really delayed, and you were most likely expecting something huge and grand. But this is what we get, a nice opening that brings us together in a stable environment. As of right now, all accepted players are part of Amarok's Team, and are present onboard the White Fang, his personal flagship. Any questions should be directed to the OOC, and please give suggestions to an opening theme for this RP.

---

~ Amarok's Motley Crew ~

Poetic Ghost - Captain Hale Amarok, Anden Vasari
Annasiel - Chellis
Myrn - Lilith Treble
DreamsInProse - Pill and Lip
SomeGuy - Farris Werpet
Quirbles - Skriviks, the Dignified
~~ You are but a grain of sand, in the sands of time. ~~

Quirbles

Re: [ADV] Retaliation

Post by Quirbles » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:48 am

The gentle flicker of blue light pulsed throughout Skriviks' darkened quarters, holographic projections stirring above the Nevuli that lay within the Kavarian's palm. All that remained of his people's past, present and future was contained within the small shape. Completely within the young Kavarian's control.

If he had any sense, he'd have destroyed the device and scattered it among the stars.

Yet he held onto it, for sense he had not. For Skriviks, logic had left him long ago when he had stolen the damned sphere that was so important to his ancestors, and any ounce of reason had disappeared when he accepted the mission presented to him. And by a former enemy, nonetheless. Though he did not specifically recall from his past the furred man that recruited him for this so-called "team", Skriviks knew all to well about the Lupine's close alliance with the humans. A scarce number of them had arrived with the human colonists, during the Golden Age. Sufficient pilots, and far better than most of the humans; yet the Kavarians' prominence in technology and defense had overpowered both forces. With the Lupine and human forces repelled, however, Kavarians soon turned to infighting...

Skriviks knew all too well the rest of his people's history. And yet he trusted this man who, not too far ago in recent history, had a hand in destroying an entire race. Why?

Foolishness, he speculated. Had he become too soft? Perhaps his elders would be disappointed, but they had been buried under mountains of ash and fire. Revenge had consumed them. Skriviks would not allow the same to happen for him. Perhaps he harbored ill will, but the humans had approached him. They, obviously, had their hands tied by this opponent they were facing. The destruction of an entire culture would be fitting irony for the human race, but it would be rude not to lend aid. Especially to an enemy that had been defeated in the past. For it was the Kavarians that had destroyed Kaavri, and not the humans nor the Lupines. Skriviks needed to remember that key difference.

Standing up from his bed, Skriviks quickly shut the Nevuli and placed it upon his bed stand. If they were to report to this "mess hall"—which he had learned to be a place to eat—within 5 minutes, he might as well begin the journey now. The Kavarian laced his boots up and adorned his outfit, fitting the helmeted mask to his face and approaching the exit to his room. A stern press of the key snapped the door open and Skriviks stepped out into the brightly lit hallway, the change in lighting forcing his quartet of eyes to adjust momentarily. The door snapped shut behind him, and he moved down the hallway towards the mess hall.
"Do I dare
Disturb the universe?"
-T.S. Eliot, "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Annasiel
Admin

Post by Annasiel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:36 am

When Chellis agreed to join the Lupine for a life of insurgency, she'd expected a bit more action. A whole week floating from place to place, a whole week to mull on whether her choice was prudent or not, and all she had to show for it was the view of endless space and the smell of endless paste. Just as back on Frei, she found herself grateful that she didn't share the same plates as her crew mates. Even with that tiny mercy, the monotony was beginning to dig into the Silwin's skull, not helped in the slightest by her present reclusive attitude. She didn't want to spend much time with the rest of the crew. She didn't want them remembering her face, recognizing her mannerisms. It was bad enough that they knew her name. Righteous side or not (and she cared not to pick a side), these few were labelled criminals by one of the strongest military forces in the galaxy, and she intended to remove herself from their little clique as best as she could manage.

But you already made yourself one of them. You chose once when you saved those children, and chose again when you shook the captain's hand, her inner critique teased relentlessly. If you're found by the wrong forces, you're already good as dead. And if you don't help... won't they grow suspicious? Won't that just be widening your list of those to fear?

It was right, she knew, though she didn't want to admit it. Her die was tossed, her lots were cast, and it was in her best interest to follow through with the current path. Try as hard as she could to help, and if things turned sour, she could always claim coercion or duress. That might buy her some innocence in their eyes, at least enough innocence to get away with her head. That was, of course, if they couldn't tie the soldier's death to her. That was if these rebels didn't already know. Digging her fingernails into her palms, she began to pace the room. She was sick with the injustice of it all. She'd considered her life a product of choice, at least up to this point, but this was no real choice. She felt cornered. Trapped. Backed against two high walls covered in spikes, each inset with a door that would grant her freedom... and both were locked by indecision.

A familiar voice crackled over the intercom.

"This is your dearly beloved Captain. I'd like to be the first to welcome you all to Neo-Tokyo. This will be the first stop on our trip. We won't be here for too long, so don't get unpacking just yet... but I wouldn't go down there naked... that, uh, that was a joke, by the way.

Um... mess hall in five, okay?"

Chellis sighed. She supposed her little bout of isolationism wasn't doing her any good. She needed to throw herself fully into this job, to show her investment. Otherwise, the others might see her as worthless, or worse, traitorous. Preparing to act as reputable as possible she steeled her nerves, turned the handle of the door, and walked out into the hall.

"Oh," she said, her surprise not evident in her voice. No emotions leaked into her voice at all, beyond a certain edge of candor. She stared at the creature's half-hidden violet eyes with black, blank ones of her own, neck craning backwards just to properly look it in the face. Not it, she amended, but he. At least, she thought it was a he. They'd referred to it as 'he' before, and also as Skriviks, the latter of which she assumed to be his name. Despite years of medical work, the only thing she knew about Kavarians was from history. A textbook example for the perils of uncontrolled culture sharing, a civil genocide that tore apart both planet and species. From the stories, she'd always pictured them as a sort of noble savage, but one in the flesh brought unexpected possibility.

Did she sense... uncertainty? Conflict? Or was that merely misdirected anger?

"Hello." Again, a curt word, devoid of inflection. Curt. Simple. For a moment, she wondered if the massive beast could even speak through its mask, or even knew how to speak at all.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 am

The faint sound of a impact on a punching bag could be heard throughout corridors of the dormitories. It wasn't uncommon on White Fang. The Human man usually spent a hour or so at a time in his room, wearing nothing but boxing tape and a pair of loose fitting sweat pants, his comfort clothes for coordinating combinations with his hands and feet, and testing them on the bag that hung in the back corner of his room. Beside from this piece of athletc equipment, his room looked quite nice and well-kept, various books laid on a desk beside a freshly-made bed. The titles of Anden's books varied; Ethics by Aristotle, The Communist Manifesto, Hamlet, Mein Kampf: The Aurelian Translation, King Lear, and The Tempest, to name a few. The strangest thing about the books, was that they were all printed on paper, unlike the holographic books that could be downloaded to a PDA. While this was very convienent, Anden often got headaches after reading his screen too long, and liked the idea of having the literacture in physical form, there was a romantic quality to it.

Anden's palm landed on the punching bag, and a bright red lightbulb lit up on his glove. It began beeping, until Anden pressed down on it with his index finger. "Too hard." He wheezed as he grabbed a water bottle off his desk, squeezing it in one hand, forcing water to squirt out and into his mouth. Suddenly, the intercom came to life, bringing Anden's eyes to the speaker mounted in his ceiling.

"This is your dearly beloved Captain. I'd like to be the first to welcome you all to Neo-Tokyo. This will be the first stop on our trip. We won't be here for too long, so don't get unpacking just yet... but I wouldn't go down there naked... that, uh, that was a joke, by the way..."

Is he done?.. or-

Anden looked away from the speaker and down at his clothing. I am not dressed for social interaction at all... He sighed, what was the point? He had barely even met his fellow crewmembers, let alone getting to know them. I should probably make an effort... Anden stretched his arms behind his back and loosened his joints. "But first, a shower." Anden pulled a light jacket over his head, and put a towel under his arm before exiting his room.

As he left, he turned back to lock his door, but stopped when he saw two of his fellow crewmembers standing in the hall having what looked like an actual conversation. He looked over at the pair of them. Almost immediately he reckognized the Silwin. She had been one of the first onboard before Amarok invited him, but he had never had more than a few words with 'her'. The larger individual was completely alien to him. Slowly, he walked up towards them. Partially because of the fact that the showers were that way, but also because he was curious as to what this being was. As he drew closer, he noted the four arms and eyes. It was a Kavarian. He had never spoken to one, although the Shakespeares had once given medical assistance to a small group of them on pilgrimage, however he was only a lab assistant, and had no time to question them or have an intelligent conversation. As he came up behind the Kavarian, he paused and waited patiently for a moment, before he cleared his throat.

"Excuse me... I need to get past you, friend." He said, trying to be as comfortably friendly as he could without going too far.

Quirbles

Post by Quirbles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:21 pm

The Kavarian had little time to himself, it seemed, as a small woman [well, small to Skriviks] had unwittingly crossed paths with him. Though he knew not the finer nuances and qualities of the English language most races spoke, he could see what he thought was disinterest expressed on her face. Two black voids stared up at him, and he stared back. He cocked his head inquisitively. The Kavarians had actively practiced isolationism—even past the destruction of their planet—and he had never seen a race such as the being before him.

”Hello.” Was all she spoke to him. Like himself, she did not seem to be very talkative. Skriviks gave a fleeting nod as a salutation.

”Greetings.” The Kavarian spoke in response.

The voice possessed a gravelly and metallic effect, no doubt caused by the tarnished chrome mask upon his face. The raspy tone of voice Skriviks possessed with his mask caused his deep, booming voice to become even more so. Paired with his stature, he wasn’t the most approachable figure in the galaxy. The intimidating combo had served him quite well throughout his years as a migrant, but the past weeks have made his presence uncomfortable for much of the crew and staff of the ship. Yes, he expressed apathy towards their attitudes, but to feel like an outsider among allies? It was an annoyance. This one, however, was different.

”My... apologies, for blocking your way, but do you know the direction to the... ‘mess hall’?” Skriviks inquired, a methodical pace to his speech. His limitations within the English language contributed to the languid tone; however, he was cautious of what he said around others. Trust was an important part of his life, and he did not possess it among these people. The conversation between the two—if one could call it that—was momentarily disrupted.

”Excuse me... I need to get past you, friend.”

Skriviks narrowed his eyes, turning around briskly and casting his eyes upon the human in front of him. The sight of him caused malaise. Suspicion.

”You feign amity, human, for I am not your friend.” Skriviks replied, the plain tone of his voice undercut by a venomous edge to his tone. The Kavarian shifted to the side, allowing him to pass momentarily.
"Do I dare
Disturb the universe?"

Annasiel
Admin

Post by Annasiel » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:15 am

The Kavarian was more amicable than he looked, at least, and the echo of anger Chellis had sensed was already nothing more than memory. Perhaps he had been frustrated over not knowing the way to the "mess hall," and was eased by the sight of someone to help. As he spoke, more of an careful vagueness than any hot dispassion tinged his words. The phrasing was slow and awkward in cantor, helping to temper her guilt over thinking this Skriviks incapable of speech. Obviously, it wasn't fully true, but she recognized the signs of uneasy communication. He was most likely something short of fluent.

He didn't really seem dangerous, either. Despite her situation, or maybe because of it, this felt a point of amusement. Both Hale and now this Skriviks came across more gauche than aggressive. If a contradictory sample didn't appear soon, she would be forced to assume the entire rebellion was filled with the inept. Put slightly at ease, her stance loosened, and she began to answer his question.

"It is-" she managed, before she caught sight of a newcomer approaching down the hall. Anden, she believed, though knowing the bizarre breadth of human naming conventions, she might have been mistaken. Besides, he didn't make nearly as much of an impact on her as Skriviks. Humans were an everyday thing. Kavarians, unfortunately -or fortunately?- were not.

"Excuse me... I need to get past you, friend." the man said, practically reeking of passivity. There it was, her third point of evidence to set the trend: The resistance was built on the backs of mildly uncomfortable conversants.

Anyone would be uncomfortable talking to a Kavarian, she amended internally, especially a human.

”You feign amity, human, for I am not your friend,” Skriviks replied, and Chellis' hand flew up to stifle a gasp. There was the heat she had felt before, not an echo, but a full-fledged blaze. Quickly, she decided to backtrack on her previous assumption of him as nondangerous as well. No, he was to be feared like all the others, feared and treated with the utmost caution.

"Hello," Chellis added on after he spoke, giving the human a quick nod. Her voice came out much airier than she had intended. A quick breath, a blink of her eyes, and total impassivity returned. "You are Anden, yes? And you are Skriviks. Come, let us go to the mess hall together."

Her first day amidst the den of thieves with full abandon, and she was already trying to keep them from killing each other. Lovely.

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:47 am

”You feign amity, human, for I am not your friend.” Skriviks replied, his voice was blunt, and harsh. For a moment, Skriviks just stated down Anden, before the Kavarian moved aside for Anden to pass by. Finally he remembered something about Kavarian culture from his hours of classroom work for the Shakespeares.

Kavarian's don't joke around.

"I'll... make a note of that." Anden said, moving past the Kavarian. Stepping between Skriviks and Chellis. Before Skriviks could reply, Chellis interjected. She seemed to give off high levels of caution as the Kavarian had dissected his passive name-calling. He had easily recognized Chellis as a Silwin, and additionally, an Empath. Anden tried to imagine the thoughts of a Kavarian, futher more, reading, and trying to comprehend them.

"Hello," she took a moment, as if to collect herself before carrying on. "You are Anden, yes? And you are Skriviks. Come, let us go to the mess hall together." Her voice was drawn out and airey, but her body language showed her discomfort in the moment.

"And you are... Chell...is? I apologize for not introducing myself sooner, but this entire experience hasn't exactly given us the opportunity to socialize." Anden said, readjusting the towel under his arm. "I would love to, but I think I need to clean myself up first." Anden smiled as he gestured to his unkempt clothes and ruffled hair. "I'll only be a moment."

Anden turned and walked off towards the showers, where five single room showers lined the side of a large bathroom-esque room. Quickly, he removed his clothing and claimed the shower furthest from the door, he hung his towel over the partition between showers, and turned the knob. Slowly, water dribbled out of the nozzle. With a quick hit from his palm, and water began running smoothly. In only a minute, he managed to wash his hair and body. He then left the shower stall and dried himself off.

A minute later, he reemerged from the showers, visibly cleaner, and with his head wrapped in a towel. He continued down the hall, making his way to the mess hall.

Quirbles

Post by Quirbles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:13 am

The impinging stare cast that Skriviks has cast upon Anden was left unmatched, with the human seemingly taking the route of lesser conflict. There was an air of silence before the man’s response, and he could see Chellis’ expression from the corner of his eye. Though he was not well versed in human society, he could understand instinctual discomfort.

”I’ll... make a note of that.” The man responded, an uneasiness in his tone. It occurred to Skriviks that there was no discernable reason for him to contest Anden. He’d known humans to be demanding. Condescending to others that they meet. Many humans that the lone Kavarian had encountered on his travels contained an air of superiority around them. and he despised them for it. He quickly realized, however, that not all humans were alike. Skriviks drew himself back to himself back to his earlier words: his ancestors let revenge consume them. The same would not happen to him. The bitter Kavarian vendetta against the human race would end with him, though it would not be easy. For now, he would withhold any apology. Skriviks prided himself in holding his tongue when he needed too, and he would not slip up again. At least this human understood the message.

”...only be a moment.”

The conversation’s conclusion brought Skriviks out of his introspective assessment, and he looked down to the woman from before, who he heard introduced as “Chellis”. She had spoken for the both of them in an attempt to ease the palpable tension within the hallway. A growl appeared to emanate from Skriviks’ throat, though the formation of syllables in an alien manner suggested he was speaking in his native tongue. While he thought of it as unnecessary, he waited for the human to bathe himself alongside Chellis and followed the man as he walked to wherever this “mess hall” was. His anger was satiated, claimed by a single tide of apathy that washed over him. He was above the Kavarian attitude towards humans. He was dignified.
"Do I dare
Disturb the universe?"

Annasiel
Admin

Post by Annasiel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 am

"I am Chellis," she replied, but the odd human was already excusing himself to shower. Quickly, she turned to the Kavarian, and repeated the words.

"I am Chellis."

Unlike the conglomerate Silwin, human customs varied rapidly between their different social groups, and Chellis had viewed far more than most. However, she'd never had the chance to meet a human that felt the need to cleanse after social interaction. Perhaps it was an individual quirk? More logically, Anden was distraught by Skrivik's aggressive demeanor, and chose temporary flight to alleviate tension.

In either way, it felt like quite a rude dismissal, she mused.

Still tickled by the bizarre behavior, Chellis returned her gaze to the Kavarian, expression utterly impassive. He returned it. For the entire time, the two stared at each other, she in a sense of analysis, he with an almost unexpected curiosity. She, of course, was curious herself. A real Kavarian. She wondered where its vital organs were, what method of energy production its cells used, whether it had oxygenated blood or even a circulatory system at all. If the rebreather was any sign, its body was unsuited to the present environmental conditions, and required some sort of additional process in order to properly respirate. Some form of anaerobic production, she assumed, using either a carbon gas or nitrogen as the catalyst. Fascinating.

A minute past in somewhat awkward silence, when Anden's return broke the static gazes. He had his hair wrapped in a towel - humans never seemed to realize this damaged their incredibly sensitive follicles. Chellis had no intention of telling the man so, of course. Chellis had no intention of leaving any impression at all. Biting back her tongue at this comment, another idle thought tried to wriggle its way from her mind to her mouth.

That was far too short to be suitably hygienic.

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 am

Farris had been typing messages and catching up with a few friends over secure channels, something that was frowned upon by this particular group (not that he cared), when the intercom crackled and hummed, and that Hale guy's voice came on. "This is your dearly beloved Captain." Yep, he thought to himself amusedly. Dearly beloved Captain with a capital C.

"I'd like to be the first to welcome you all to Neo-Tokyo." Farris hadn't been to Neo-Tokyo yet. He heard it was a lively place. Didn't like cut out of his wallet he'd have to take, though, so he never bothered. Regardless, it sounded better than hanging around on the ship, old and creaky such as it is.

"This will be the first stop on our trip. We won't be here for too long, so don't get unpacking just yet... but I wouldn't go down there naked... that, uh, that was a joke, by the way."

He smiled and sighed at the same time, the way someone does when they hear something really dumb, yet also faintly humorous because of it. Yep. Dearly beloved Captain, indeed.

It was about time anyway, he guessed. It only took a minute for Farris to finish diagnostics on his yellow pressure suit and put it on. Walking along the corridor of the dorm, he idly tapped on a holographic GUI over his wrist. In a wave across the fabric, the full-body suit disappeared, replaced by a sensible dark vest, white shirt plus grey slacks in its place. He hoped it would make a good impression. Of course, the amphibious Herrun wouldn't have to eat anything served in the mess hall, just insert the provided supplement into his suit. He figured it would be too much to ask for it to be anything other than grain-flavoured again.

Down the way to the mess hall (why couldn't they call it a canteen? Was it a military thing?), Farris turned a corner. This is usually normal. He then saw a Human man with a towel on his head, a Kavarian and- what were they called, again? Silwin? Anyway, despite it sounding like the setup to a joke, This is also usually normal. Farris wasn't really the kind of being to adhere to silly things like ‘traditions’ or ‘personal space’, so he held up a hand, and called out to them in a high, boyish voice most usually wouldn't expect from a slim green biped topping out at 240 centimeters.

"Hey, you all. Headed to lunch?"

He wasn't sure if it was actually time for lunch, since Herrun biological clocks didn't really include food in them. Still, it was something people said. Probably.
I'm having an attack! Quick, someone get me another dose of moe anime!