Trump

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Snowskeeper

Re: Trump

Post by Snowskeeper » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Shadow101 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 pm
He had 8 year's. It is now 2 years afterwards. You don't get to claim shit that happens 10 years later.
No, but you do get to claim responsibility for a trend that started during those 8 years. He inherited a fucked-up system from Bush and managed to turn it into reasonable economic growth. Trump inherited that growth. Trump's got something to do with it, sure, but again: of the economic policies he's implemented, very few have benefited America as a whole.

In some cases, his policies actively harmed the majority of Americans; he demonstrably does not understand how tariffs work, for instance, since both he and Fox News constantly asserted that they were charging other nations by implementing them, whereas in reality they were duties that Americans had to pay if they wanted to buy foreign goods of the affected type. This most severely affected the very people he claimed he was trying to protect.

I would also argue that at least some of the positive impact on the economy he's had can be attributed to rising confidence, as opposed to any actual policy action. He made a lot of promises and a lot of claims about how great the economy was going to be after he took over, and many people believed him; that belief, on its own, likely stimulated some growth, as it would have prompted people to be less cautious than they otherwise would have been.

(It's also kind of a crapshoot trying to suggest that any president is responsible for any economic trend in a society with a relatively free market; certainly they're very influential, but trying to blame Bush for the sub-prime mortgage crisis, for instance, isn't really fair. Blaming him for the government's failure to punish anyone for that is more fair.)

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Trump got handed a shitty economy it wasn't as bad as Bush but still shity non the less.

Everything that trump did he did IE he lifted all the regulations put alot of people back to work. You cant make regulations have record job losses trump gets rid of them puts people back to work and people have the nerve to say Obama. Gtfo

I work in retail specifically appliances Samsung and Lg are down but American products are up because it's now the same price or cheaper.

Not to mention it is not fair when we we bring in there stuff and it tariffed 2% and when we sell stuff to them and its tariffed at 25% it's been like that for years. Please tell me you don't think this is fair?

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 pm

Shadow101 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 pm
Trump got handed a shitty economy it wasn't as bad as Bush but still shity non the less.
He inherited an economy that was not in a great place, but which was experiencing strong, stable growth.
Everything that trump did he did IE he lifted all the regulations put alot of people back to work. You cant make regulations have record job losses trump gets rid of them puts people back to work and people have the nerve to say Obama. Gtfo
Employment growth slowed by 12% from rate of growth under Obama, he has continued to impose new regulations (though at half the rate that Obama was imposing them), coal mining jobs went up by a grand total of 500, nationwide, https://www.factcheck.org/2018/01/trumps-numbers/ here's some other stuff to review.
Not to mention it is not fair when we we bring in there stuff and it tariffed 2% and when we sell stuff to them and its tariffed at 25% it's been like that for years. Please tell me you don't think this is fair?
Trump's tariffs came before most of those tariffs. The 25% tariffs in particular are infamously Trumpian.

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 am

That's exactly what I said.

What's unemployed at now?

Because that's what it's been for awhile we have always been tariffed at a really high percentage .
Last edited by Shadow101 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:34 am

Shadow101 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 am
That's exactly what I said.

What's unemployed at now?
Look at the link I posted. His numbers are there.

Here are Obama's numbers, for reference. This is after 4 years, so comparing them won't be entirely fair.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

You may also find this article interesting.

https://www.vox.com/2015/11/7/9684780/u ... rate-obama
Because that's what it's been for awhile we have always been tariffed at a really hight percentage .
Mate, most of the world started raising tariffs on the US because Trump started a massive trade war. The 25% number is notoriously Trumpian because it is an extremely weird number to pick. I'm guessing you probably don't believe any of the leaks or the books published about Trump's time in the Whitehouse, but for what it's worth, Bob Woodward--a widely respected White House historian best known for his involvement in reporting the Watergate scandal--wrote in Fear that his sources claimed that Trump picked that number himself, and that he picked it because it was round.

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:24 pm

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/03/news/e ... index.html

Obama was at 35% with China IJS

Experts have shown with Obama doing that he saved over 1200 jobs.

Hmmm I think we are on to something here.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 pm

So, did you not read the article all the way through or is this an attempted lie by omission?
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:52 pm

I am taking a point of the article. So unless something your saying that I just said please let me know.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Shadow, scroll three paragraphs down from the one you took those numbers from.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 pm

I did and I all ready commented on that.
I work in retail specifically appliances Samsung and Lg are down but American products are up because it's now the same price or cheaper.
Not to mention you said the taffif was never this high. It is lower then when it was done under President Obama 35%