Murder in Sylvania (Open Event)

Roleplay locations.
LunaHawk
Bronze

Re: Murder in Sylvania (Open Event)

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Concord wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 am
Eventually, Noel pulled the car over and got out of the car, he didn't feel the need to circle the whole thing. It was clear getting through it wouldn't be a matter of finding a gap, but making his own. Sitting against the hood of the SUV with the hood to his costume pulled down he thought for a moment. He had an idea, and while on any other day he would have labeled it a dumb one, he was just about up to try anything at this point.

Walking back up to the closest he could get he took a deep breath and closed his eyes before moving in the direction of the city. He kept his mind clear, thinking no about the city, it's inhabitants or the barrier. Instead, he focused on his refusal to fail here, no because of what would happen to those, but because of what it would mean for the future. If he was stopped now it would only be a sign of weakness, if he couldn't walk toward something he could clearly see. Then what right did he have to pursue what humanity had never known?
The barrier could do nothing against the power of a truly clear and unfocused mind. It's arcane and temporal properties set against those who desired entry to the town were not capable of keeping out those wise enough to void their minds of such desire. The first indication to the man with closed eyes of his success was a sharp drop in the amount of illumination attempting to Pierce the veil of his eyelids. The second sign was a level of tension in the air, as if a whole town had been set on edge, this was combined with the silence of the grave...which was fitting because when he opened his eyes he would find himself stanind in the center of the city's oldest cemetery, now reserved for it's wealthiest and most well connected.

The cemetery dated back to the earliest date of Indiana and was filled with moss covered tomb stones and old mausoleums. One such marble building, weathered by generations of exposure to the elements, had a peculiar trait...the large metal door that sealed it off from the outside hung partially off it's hinges and looked as it it had been forced open... from the inside.

The girl watched prsim and quietly sorted out the prettiest flower in her bunch, letting her process and respond to everything before offering it to her. "My sister liked flowers, she used to tend the old graves until she got sick. She had to go take her long sleep early and my parents put her in the family sleep house. That's when her best friend Fire Fox stopped showing up, I think she was too sad to stay around but then bad thing started to happen. My parents won't believe me but my sister woke up, I still leave her flowers in case she needs to sleep again, like when you wake up in the middle of the night to get a drink. I don't want her to be upset because I stopped leaving flowers."

The girl looked at the rainbow and offered another flower to Prism. "Will you give her this if you see her? I will go until you can make the scary lady in black go away. She tells people what to do and she's not very nice." The girlmoved to follow her directions.
Last edited by LunaHawk on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:39 am

"Oh. Um... thank you." Prism wasn't really sure what to make of being offered a flower in the middle of a field of horror, but she took it anyway and tucked it behind her ear. She really had no idea what to make of the little girl's statements. They seemed... important, somehow, in a way that made Prism feel like she was missing the right context to make them all make sense. She'd try to remember what the girl said, though, in case it made sense later.

She took the second flower more cautiously. "I'll... try," she promised, as much as she could. Make the scary lady in black go away. Well, that sounded like a starting point. Now Prism just had to find the scary lady in black. Too bad she didn't know anything about Sylvania. "Um... before you go... do you know where I'd find this scary lady in black?"

Maybe the little girl would have some advice on that... but if not... well, if not, Prism had a few ideas of her own that she could try.
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

BBCode Grid Guide

retrorocet

Post by retrorocet » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 am

A TV was on in the background as Sid was writing something on his clipboard. Rebecca was dying of boredom. It was her mom's birthday and Rebecca was waiting for Sid to finish up so she could go home.
"Come on sid! Can't you finish the paper work without me?" Rebecca dramatically through herself back in her chair.
Sid looks up to the ceiling. "What? Do you you not enjoy my company anymore? Your breaking my heart." He puts on an obviously fake pout.
Rebecca springs forward in her seat. She points at Sid in an accusatory manner. " Hay! Stop with the crocodile all tears! I just want to spend time with my-"
Sid's ears perked up as the news comes on.
"Shh."
Rebecca's eyebrows draw together as she frowns and folds her arms.
"Don't shhh me. My mom's b-"
Sid once again interrupt. "Just stop for a moment and get down here!"
Rebecca cocks her head to the side and then her and her chair fall from the ceiling and gracfully lands on the floor.
"Huh? What's wrong?"
Sid directs her gaze to the grizzly scene on the TV.
"I need to go." Rebecca started running towards the entrance.
"Hay don't you want to get changed first?" Sid called after her
Rebecca just looked down at her blue jumpsuit that she wore while testing with Sid.
"No time. They are going to need help."
Shock shot across Sid's face when he realized her intentions. "Wait! Your going to Sylvania? You hardly used your powers outside of the lab."
Rebecca just grabs her flight goggles off the table and put them on.
"Look. I have been testing with you for four months. I will be back tomorrow."
Sid runs over to a place where he keeps tools and such. "Hold up one second" he grabbed a fist full of ball bearings and a skateboard. "Ah, take this stuff with you. The way your powers work, it could be useful."
"Uh, okay?" She puts the ball bearings into her right leg pocket and held the skateboard under her arm."thanks Sid. I will see you tomorrow."

Rebecca shoots into the air and rockets off towards Sylvania. The town came into view but got no closer. After 20 minutes of circling the town she pulls at her hair.
"Ahhh. This town is ridiculous!"
She speeds towards the town as fast as she can for the 5th time.
As she made her approach, a bird flew into her path. Rebecca veered off to the left last second. "Ahhhh!" Her moment of fear cause her to spiral out of control.*I'm going to die! Slow down! Stop! Halt! Okay! okay! Calm down or you are going to die. Okay that thought isn't comforting. Breathe. Concentrate on slowing down.*
As her mind cleared, she began falling slower towards the town.

Concord

Post by Concord » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Concord walked a bit more then he thought he would have to with his eyes closed just in case, but eventually he did open his eyes to find himself past the barrier. A small smile flashed across his mouth, that actually worked. Then again, magic wasn't really known for being logical. Still, though, he'd gotten in but he wasn't quite sure if that would let him back out, he could figure out that later. For now, he tapped the side of his head, activating his communicator. One to see if it worked within the confines of the city and two to provide information. If he got a response from the Indiana State Police he'd proceed to convey instructions on how to pass the barrier, if in the likely case that he couldn't reach them he wouldn't waste too much time trying.

As of now, he had to think of himself as the only asset currently deployed, which meant his first goal should be figuring out a way to take out whoever was blocking off the city. Quickly assessing his surrounding it didn't take the Scarlet Eyed Skeptic long to notice the opened crypt. His brow furrowed as he examined it for a moment, open graves was never a good sign. He decided to walk over and take a peek into the building, just to see what it had housed. While from the looks of things whatever was in it had left, he couldn't be sure it hadn't returned. If nothing could be found, however, he'd try to find his way out of the cemetery and towards the town to see if any of the inhabitants were still around.

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Nothing about what Azra had felt was right, the groggy senses and slight headache were tolerable given what she had been through the question was what to do now. Nothing else on her seemed off or harmed in any given way. She wasn't bleeding, far as she could tell her organs were all still where they ought to be. So then what she was feeling she hypothesized was a side effect of her incorporeal form. Alezra was there but not and something about whatever protected the place didn't like that. So at the start she removed her sword and drew lines in the ground.

Marked earth was just that a marker, an indication of whatever interfered with her movements started. Safe to assume it was a dome in nature and if she found one wall she could guess the rest of it. Walk through feel sick and end up back where she was, same attempt same result. Simple as that and now she had an idea for the perimeter. Now came the next step to make it as difficult as possible she started at first just to walk as she fiddled with her phone. Of course the fact she wanted to rock out to Emilie Autumn as she so often did was irrelevant what was important was sound.

She'd work to phase her right hand but not the phone which held it. This kept her palm and finger tips material even though the rest of her arm would not be. It was stressing on the body to try and do both at once but she didn't chose to end there. She tried to keep the rest of her body flickering in and out of this status. Half a second a person there the next half nothing. She would stay in motion, trying to walk along the edge of the barrier half in and half out. In theory it wanted to move her back. But now it would be trying to do so with a moving person half in half out half the time real half the time not and dealing with sound. There was nothing she'd yet to encounter that she couldn't walk through. And maybe it was just a ghost being stubborn but Alezra refused to believe this whatever it was would prove otherwise.

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:05 am

retrorocet wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 am
A TV was on in the background as Sid was writing something on his clipboard. Rebecca was dying of boredom. It was her mom's birthday and Rebecca was waiting for Sid to finish up so she could go home.
"Come on sid! Can't you finish the paper work without me?" Rebecca dramatically through herself back in her chair.
Sid looks up to the ceiling. "What? Do you you not enjoy my company anymore? Your breaking my heart." He puts on an obviously fake pout.
Rebecca springs forward in her seat. She points at Sid in an accusatory manner. " Hay! Stop with the crocodile all tears! I just want to spend time with my-"
Sid's ears perked up as the news comes on.
"Shh."
Rebecca's eyebrows draw together as she frowns and folds her arms.
"Don't shhh me. My mom's b-"
Sid once again interrupt. "Just stop for a moment and get down here!"
Rebecca cocks her head to the side and then her and her chair fall from the ceiling and gracfully lands on the floor.
"Huh? What's wrong?"
Sid directs her gaze to the grizzly scene on the TV.
"I need to go." Rebecca started running towards the entrance.
"Hay don't you want to get changed first?" Sid called after her
Rebecca just looked down at her blue jumpsuit that she wore while testing with Sid.
"No time. They are going to need help."
Shock shot across Sid's face when he realized her intentions. "Wait! Your going to Sylvania? You hardly used your powers outside of the lab."
Rebecca just grabs her flight goggles off the table and put them on.
"Look. I have been testing with you for four months. I will be back tomorrow."
Sid runs over to a place where he keeps tools and such. "Hold up one second" he grabbed a fist full of ball bearings and a skateboard. "Ah, take this stuff with you. The way your powers work, it could be useful."
"Uh, okay?" She puts the ball bearings into her right leg pocket and held the skateboard under her arm."thanks Sid. I will see you tomorrow."

Rebecca shoots into the air and rockets off towards Sylvania. The town came into view but got no closer. After 20 minutes of circling the town she pulls at her hair.
"Ahhh. This town is ridiculous!"
She speeds towards the town as fast as she can for the 5th time.
As she made her approach, a bird flew into her path. Rebecca veered off to the left last second. "Ahhhh!" Her moment of fear cause her to spiral out of control.*I'm going to die! Slow down! Stop! Halt! Okay! okay! Calm down or you are going to die. Okay that thought isn't comforting. Breathe. Concentrate on slowing down.*
As her mind cleared, she began falling slower towards the town.
When Rebecca stopped focusing on her destination and started to focus on her own survival everything changed. The barrier's design was against those who were focused on getting into the town. It was not at all inclusive barrier and so when people changed their focus it was like running water through a coffee filter. The sensation of passing through the barrier was somewhat different for each individual but one thing met them all. Time...distorted, warped as Rebecca passed through the barrier. Seconds felt like hours and then without warning, she was through. The shining daylight of the other side of the barrier was gone, replaced instead with a dark night and the shining light of a big, beautiful full moon.

The town seemed empty, though lights on in the various houses and buildings indicated otherwise, it's just that no one was on the streets. If Sylvania had ever had a night life, it was gone now. Maybe Rebecca was lucky, maybe it was something else, but she drifted down near someone else who had just passed the barrier, drifting towards a cemetery where another hero was moving to investigate an eerily open mausoleum. From her vantage point high above the ground Rebecca could also see another woman standing by a girl, talking to her while trying to ignore bodies on spikes at the edge of town. Finally, she could see a moving truck over on the other end of town. The truck's rear access door was open and it was filled with boxes that looked like old wooden coffins. A large man was working with another slightly less large man to carry another box up the ramp and into the truck.

Concord wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 pm
Concord walked a bit more then he thought he would have to with his eyes closed just in case, but eventually he did open his eyes to find himself past the barrier. A small smile flashed across his mouth, that actually worked. Then again, magic wasn't really known for being logical. Still, though, he'd gotten in but he wasn't quite sure if that would let him back out, he could figure out that later. For now, he tapped the side of his head, activating his communicator. One to see if it worked within the confines of the city and two to provide information. If he got a response from the Indiana State Police he'd proceed to convey instructions on how to pass the barrier, if in the likely case that he couldn't reach them he wouldn't waste too much time trying.

As of now, he had to think of himself as the only asset currently deployed, which meant his first goal should be figuring out a way to take out whoever was blocking off the city. Quickly assessing his surrounding it didn't take the Scarlet Eyed Skeptic long to notice the opened crypt. His brow furrowed as he examined it for a moment, open graves was never a good sign. He decided to walk over and take a peek into the building, just to see what it had housed. While from the looks of things whatever was in it had left, he couldn't be sure it hadn't returned. If nothing could be found, however, he'd try to find his way out of the cemetery and towards the town to see if any of the inhabitants were still around.
The door lead into a mausoleum that went below ground. A series of slots in the wall in the entry room were sealed shut with names etched into marble. In the center of the entry room was a large marble sarcophagus, it's lid engraved to beautifully represent the woman that had been laid to rest inside wearing a classic dress from the early eighteen hundreds. This and the wall chambers had been left alone. Someone had taken great care to lay flowers near the entrance as well.

Even from the entry though he could see that on the next level was a newly opened wall grave, the stone that had sealed it lay in pieces on the floor and the flowers there were freshest, placed carefully in a little container built into the wall and somehow undisturbed by whatever had opened the grave. Also upon closer examination it was clear the main door into the building had been broken open from within. The mighty hinges it had worked on were aged into near uselessness, made weak enough that the door had simply fallen out of its frame, little piles of rust resting on the floor below the desiccated hinges.

Not surprisingly none of his communication equipment had anything on its channels but raw static. Nothing was going in or out of the town not a single electronic signal seemed to have any hope at all. It was much like walking into a data dead zone, a Bermuda triangle of information packets. As he stood investigating, a hero floated down from above in his general vicinity.

Azra liked to do things the hard way. The barrier also liked to do things the hard way. Two immovable objects collided and ultimately it was Azra who won. There were a number of reasons for this, first, her methods stressed the barrier greatly and second...so many people had penetrated it by now the barrier simply lacked the strength to resist a method it would have shrugged off a little more easily earlier in the day. Reality warped around Azra the farther she pushed against the barrier. Then...it failed.

The barrier failed with a sudden rush of wind that billowed through the streets of the town, flapping flags and careening leaves. That was not the end of the distortion however as reality met with reality. For a moment it looked as if the apocalypse might crash down on the sleepy little town. Sunlight and moonlight collided in a huge kaleidoscope of colors and distortion in the sky as day and night warred with one another and two different time zones slammed together.

Without apparent cause the affect suddenly stopped and night was restored. The wind vanished, the sky settled down and the town returned to its sleepy state as if nothing had happened at all. Only one lingering affect indicated something had changed when the barrier fell, every time piece in the town, including those worn or carried by the heroes, digital or analog...stopped. It was 11:15 at night according to everything from smart phones to analog watches to bank clocks. One mystery had replaced another. Azra entered the town on its outskirts. Ahead of her two men were loading boxes shaped like old style coffins into a large U-Haul truck. They had stopped to look around when everything got weird but promptly got back to work when reality settled back down.

The girl was quiet when reality flexed. Her eyes grew wide for a moment in wonder and fear. As things calmed down again she looked to Prism and was able to point towards the other side of town. "She's been seen around there the most. She took over a haunted house that's been abandoned as long as I've been alive."

She looked back to the rainbow bridge out of town and turned her eyes back to Prism again. "Be careful. She's very mean but she doesn't look mean until someone makes her mad." The girl was done with advice then and took the rainbow bridge as Prism had described, escaping the town and its weirdness for the time being.

Prism was left on her own now in a town that seemed to disagree with the world around it. The one advantage though was that with the moonlight seemingly brighter than before she could see shadows moving around the distant cemetery. The bodies close to her remained, fortunately, quite still and did nothing to disturb Prism (further) or behave strangely when the barrier went down. There was a town to explore and the girl had provided her with at least some direction. She could see a tall house from where she stood, an old mansion that looked about as dilapidated as one could expect, though the details were hard to make out from here. It was not unlike looking at the house from The Adams family.

retrorocet

Post by retrorocet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:33 am

Rebecca's heart stopped trying to escape her chest as her feet reached the ground. "That was not my most graceful moment." She muttered to herself. All of a sudden, the sky changed colors and a wind picked up. As quickly as it came, it was gone again. Rebecca looked around confused.
She remembered seeing several people while she was descending. One of them looked familiar. * wasn't that guy on the news?* She looked at Concord with half familiarity.
"Hello." She announces to get Concord's attention. Her hair a mess from her flight and her hands behind her back.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Something... changed, in Sylvania. Prism wasn't entirely sure what had just happened, but everything was suddenly... different. There was wind and daylight and night and the whole place couldn't really seem to decide what time it was, or if it was at all.

As suddenly as it had come up, though, it ended. It seemed to have decided it was night again, even though Prism was certain that it had been daytime outside... but it wasn't like she really needed another reminder that things here were totally weird.

She thanked the little girl for her help, watching her leave. Part of Prism wanted to leave with her, and hope that someone vastly more qualified could take care of all this... but she didn't know if there was anyone more qualified here. There was just her... and she was just going to have to do her best. She nodded to herself, which probably looked totally weird from the outside, but... hopefully no one noticed. Prism's hand went to the two flowers she held, patting them carefully. Apparently they weren't bothered by the sudden shift in whatever-ness that had happened.

At least it wasn't too hard to figure out where she was supposed to be going. "Big creepy house" wasn't all that descriptive, but there was definitely the one building that stood out as a paragon of creepiness. Okay. I guess that's where I go. She walked through the town, thinking about how weird and quiet it was. Behind her, the rainbow path followed along. She kept it there, hoping that maybe it could help some people get out, like the little girl. And... secretly, hoping that maybe someone more qualified would find it and follow her in.

She didn't want to wait around, though. People were hurt - were dead already. Someone had to stop this - and if Prism couldn't stop it herself, maybe she could at least pause it for a little while, until someone else could get there. Whatever happened, she'd just have to do her best.

She was able to approach the house unhindered, and paused on the front step, for a moment at a loss as far as what to do. Lacking a better idea, and because she'd been raised to be polite, she raised a hand and knocked.
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

BBCode Grid Guide

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Azra found herself blown a step backwards as the strong winds pushed against her lightweight figure made even less given her half in half out status. A rush of air that pushed dirt against one side of her and leaves through the other side of her and vice versa. Worlds seemed to briefly collide in a visual that was mesmerizing in beauty and terrifying in its chaotic status. Where the moon seemed to collide with the sun, darkness made bright and sunlight turned to an abyssal dark. Colors became countless in shades and one in the same, while also becoming none. As transfixed as the ashen girl had been however it all soon came to a halt as swift as it had started.

"Note to self, still nothing you can't go through. Second note to self look into barriers more next time, breaking down walls should ruin support beams not make it look like the worlds end." Although there was a beauty to it she wished she could let others at least see as well. Obviously the world blowing up was a bad, but there was a spectacle she didn't want to be just hers alone. It was a breach in order and expectations it was a chaotic masterpiece. There was something there though, fact she still stood here instead of being ash or something. It was out of her control out of probably everyone's and yet it didn't all have to end either. So many she felt longed for power and having the reigns and yet it could still equate to nothing, but that was okay. Or at least that was how Alezra felt about it, moment was over though was time to go see how she could help.

Coffins loaded into a truck, at least it was more like a uhaul and not a hearse. They were probably not taking bodies to be buried she figured. The alternative being that there was so many bodies that it needed a uhaul and a lack of care. She liked to think however it couldn't be so bad and that people had more respect for the fallen than that. Of course it was a rarity that people would do something for nothing, wall gone Azra sheathed her sword and pocketed her phone that looked frozen anyway. Then she looked to approach those at work. "Is an apocayliptic aurora borealis normal or is it something I should be concerned about? Maybe I help you guys and you tell me the local news?"

Concord

Post by Concord » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Huh, odd. Concord couldn't say much about what the crypt once held, but he'd be surprised it someone busting out of it's grave wasn't somehow tied to the barrier. Unless the town was absurdly unlucky enough to have two supernatural events happen simultaneously. However, when he finally left the tomb he found something was quite different, well two things to be exact. For one the sky looked to be having a small stroke, it was erupting in colors he'd never seen before. Was it not for the uncertainty the whole city had, he might have even taken the time to enjoy the sight. It didn't take long for it to die out however, the sky quickly returning to its natural color.

The second thing that wasn't there when he'd entered the grave was a woman floating down from the sky. He waved as she greeted him, looking around to see if she was the only one. He couldn't spot anyone, but it was nice to know there was still life in the town. "Greetings, Federal Agent and Registered Hero Concord. You from the outside?" He asked, introducing himself as he extended a hand.